The Letter

Under The Rain

   When Junmyeon first saw him, it was raining and he thought it was a pretty sight when that person was just standing under the heavy rain without an umbrella, staring at the grey sky. He could see that the other was struggling to keep his eyes open. Junmyeon took out his smartphone and quickly secretly snapped a photo of that person.

 

The second time he saw that person was exactly ten days later. Junmyeon did not expect for it to rain since the weather was really sunny in the morning, so he ran, trying to get home as soon as possible but he stopped himself when he saw that person at the exact same spot when he last saw him. This time too, that person still was just staring at the sky. Not minding the raindrops getting into his eyes.

 

The only different thing that day was when Junmyeon decided to walk up to him. He was already soaking wet from the rain anyway, so why the rush. 

 

That's when it all happened. He regrets that day the most in his life. And he never see that person again.

 

 

Junmyeon is sitting on a bench at the park. Enjoying the wind, that is slightly blowing against his face. His fingers habitually fiddling with a cane he placed in between his legs. He smiled, liking the little heat from the sun. 

 

Suddenly, he heard a clicking sound. It sounded a little too familiar to ignore. Out of nowhere, he heard someone saying something that sounded much like 'hello' with a weird accent. In which, he simply nodded in the direction, he assumed the voice came from. 

 

The stranger stares at him with a confused expression and he thought that Junmyeon was being rude until he notices the cane placed in between the latter's legs. He smiles to himself before he takes a seat beside Junmyeon. 

 

Junmyeon is obviously freaked out by the bold action made by the stranger. 

 

"Hello" the stranger greeted him again, this time, he tried a little harder to sound like a standard korean even though the accent is still audible to Junmyeon's hearing. "I am not a erted old man or someone dangerous to you" the stranger continued with his explanation.  

 

Junmyeon let out a half hearted smile, "I wouldn't know that for sure"

 

Then there's a chuckle, "I guess. But I really am not— actually, came here to ask permission from you" he paused and hummed to himself, trying to find the right words to say, "I was just taking photos around and accidentally took a couple of photos with you in it.. Thought it would be a total waste to delete since it comes out pretty nice"

 

Junmyeon feels a little burdened but he nods anyway, he decided the stranger is really honest. 

 

"Oh, silly me. I forgot to introduce myself again" the stranger laughs, "I'm Yixing" and Junmyeon smiles. Yixing sounds like a nice person. He can't see him but he can feels it. This is a start of a great friendship.

 

 

It have only been a little over three months after they met. Their relationship escalated much faster than expected but they aren't anything official. They enjoy each other's company and Yixing is really considerate about everything. Yixing had taught himself to read braille even though he doesn't really need to but Junmyeon is more than thankful that he had did so. 

 

Yixing takes photo as a hobby but he thinks he is really talented, Junmyeon laughed for a long time after he had told him about it. Junmyeon wouldn't tell him but he secretly agreed with him despite being lacked of sight. 

 

 

It is one of those days when they are casually hanging out in a cafe, it is raining outside. They decided to come into the cafe to avoid the rain and get something hot while at it. Junmyeon ordered a vanilla latte and Yixing got himself hot chocolate. 

 

They were casually talking about something random when Yixing noticed that Junmyeon is profusely sweating. His eyes would slightly twitched at the sound of the cars passing by but he keeps on smiling. Yixing can't help but wondered still because he's also not very fond of the rain.

 

Yixing decided to ask. Junmyeon hesitates a little but decided it's okay to tell about the incident. Only then he found out. 

 

Junmyeon wasn't born blind. 

 

 

A month after, they are on a rooftop of Junmyeon's apartment, watching fireworks. Yixing had gotten used to describing everything to him. From colors to shapes and everything.

 

They are excitedly watching the fireworks, though it's a bit inconvenient for one of them but he doesn't mind. As long as the other one is happy. 

 

Yixing stares at the slightly older male's face adoringly.

 

"If I can wish something upon the fireworks, I wish I could see the world again" Junmyeon randomly said out of nowhere. Yixing smiles and the other laughs at himself. 

 

"Just the world?" Yixing decided it's okay to play along.

 

Junmyeon thinks to himself for awhile before nodding eagerly, "I need to see the world", right when Yixing is about to say something, he cuts in, "to see you, I need to see the world first"

 

"Hmm.. Then I promise you I'll be the first person you'll see by then"

 

 

Exactly three weeks after their promise, Junmyeon had asked Yixing to come over to his apartment. He sounded much better than few days ago. After their conversation that night, Yixing noticed that Junmyeon have been a little distracted and sad but of course, Yixing didn't say anything about it and instead, he tried to make the older smiles again. 

 

"I have good news!" Junmyeon said, a little bit louder than his usual tone, "I think I can see again" and to this, Yixing chuckles, "only then you can see my handsome face" he jokes. 

 

Apparently, earlier that day— Junmyeon received a call from the hospital saying they found eyes donor for cornea transplant.

 

They spent the rest of the day with Junmyeon telling Yixing about things he wants to do once he regained his sight again. Though it may not be as perfect as his own but he is fine with it. 

 

 

The night before the surgery, Yixing decides to stay overnight at the hospital to accompany him with an excuse, "so I could be the first one you'll see when another day comes along". Junmyeon couldn't be more happier.

 

The surgery takes a longer time than expected but it all went well. And all that left is for the anesthesia to wears off. 

 

Junmyeon wakes up the day after but he still can't see anything since his eyes are covered with bandaged. The doctor said to keep it on to let the eyes heal and asked him to stay at the hospital because they need to personally watch over his healing progression since there was a few complications during the surgery. 

 

He asked about Yixing but the doctor didn't know what or who he's talking about. Thus, he is left unanswered for a week. 

 

 

The bandage is gone and the stitches is taken off.

 

But Junmyeon refuses to open his eyes because he is scared. What if it doesn't work. What will happen to him now. 

 

And mostly, he is afraid because he can't seems to find Yixing anywhere. 

 

After the doctor encouraged him to try, only then he slowly opens his eyes. The doctor can't help but nervously asked, "can't you see?", because of the lacked of response from Junmyeon. Instead of answering, tears rolled down Junmyeon's cheeks. 

 

 

Junmyeon is sitting on a bench at the park. With a cane placed in between his legs. The wind blows gently against his face, he smiled as he fiddles with the cane.

 

Exactly a year have passed since they first met. He's waiting for a certain person. He is still waiting for him. 

A person that will never come to see him again. 

 

His eyes is fully recovered. The corneal transplant surgery was a big success. It was blurry at first but after times, it's finally healed.

 

Junmyeon would still visits the hospital from times to times. Every time he did, he would always asks the same question but the doctor would give him the same answer. 

 

"I understand your side of story but I'm sorry. The information of our donor's is confidential" over and over, using the same kind of tone.

 

There's so many questions left unanswered but the one he wants to know the most, why won't Yixing comes to see him when he had promised him to be the first for him to see.

 

He have been looking for Yixing. He believes that Yixing is watching over him somewhere. He is desperate looking for the other. Yixing is practically gone with the wind. He wants to see him. But he don't even know what Yixing looks like. Maybe it was better when he was blind.

 

He looks down at the cane and smiles, it's a habit to bring it around. Sometimes, he would even unconsciously try to use it but he doesn't mind. He thought of it as a sweet memories. 

 

He can't forget the promise they made. He can't forget about the Chinese boy. He won't. But deep inside, he knew he have to keep on living for the other to be able to come and find him again. 

 

Coming to the park, sitting on the bench around the same time— it becomes a permanent habit in his daily routine. He would somehow ended up here no matter what. When he heard random sounds of camera shutters, he would always run all over the place to look for a certain someone. Other times, he would just sit still with his eyes closed, hoping for someone to take a seat next to him. 

 

But no one ever did. 

 

He could only recognized that person by his voice. That's the only thing he can depends on and be sure of. 

 

Habits. Maybe but he wasn't so sure anymore.

 

 

Maybe Yixing was just a good liar. Who knows.

But he wants to believe.