Rain, me and you

Raining memories

*Italic = flashback*

BamBam looked out of the window, a small smile curving up his lips as he realized that it was raining. The crystal-like raindrops were falling hard on the roof, on the balcony, on the street, creating little tinkling sound. He went to the kitchen, making a hot chocolate for himself then returned to the comfy sofa, sat down and simply enjoyed the raining sight. BamBam loves it, he loves everything about the rain, the strong wind it brings, and the freshness it leaves after, the watery smell in the air and the coolness when he lets the drops fall on his hands. BamBam couldn't explain how he feels every time it rains, he doesn't remember why he had that idea in the first place either. He did try once in the past: 

      - I felt as if I was being hugged by the rain whenever I walked under its downpour hyung.

... But what he received back was a pair of wide eyes and a wave off, Im Jae Bum couldn't understand and he just considered it a childish thought.

BamBam laughed a little at his flashback. It doesn't matter now anyway, it was in the past. Jae Bum had left to follow his B-boy dance dream and he had moved on. He was only in grade 9 at that time, their relationship was nothing more than a friendly brotherhood. BamBam was upset when they said goodbye but his energetic youth didn't let him have time to mourn over himself. High school welcomed him and he found his life turn into a new page.

But his love for rain stayed the same. BamBam had a new habit of going up to the school terrace during the rain if he didn't have class at that time. And on one of those occasions, he met Park Jin Young, a model student in his school. At least that's what the rumor about. They didn't care about the other at first, BamBam only came there to see his rain while Jin Young came to sleep. Their life may never collide if one day Jin Young hadn't suddenly decided to start a conversation:

       - I thought you would only come here on rainy days - he said, voice a little teasing.  

       - And I thought you would only come here to nap - BamBam retorted back, returned the mocking glare.

They looked at each other in the eye for a few seconds before bursting out laughing. After that encounter, BamBam knew something would change. They talked, sharing some stories about their life and classmates, about their future dreams. It was surprising how they could understand each other so easily, how they felt totally off guard around the other. It became a habit for them to meet sometimes on the rooftop to talk about everything and nothing at all. But they never met during class or break times. During school periods, Park Jin Young was the student president while BamBam was just a normal one. They were strangers.

       - What exactly did our relation call, hyung? - BamBam asked one day.

       - Us? We're closed acquaintances - Jin Young replied, smiling his signature crescent smile.

BamBam didn't say anything at that time, just nodded silently. It was enough and he needed nothing more.

Jin Young graduated from high school that year, going to an Art and Theatre college to pursue his dream of becoming a famous actor. They still kept in touch but the memories of their secret meetings only existed in the past now. BamBam missed those times but as he knew about that departure beforehand, it didn't take much time for him to rearrange his schedule. He was ready to get back with the habit of enjoying the rain alone, however, something happened. He discovered a new ideal place - the school's music chamber and a new person. It was a random autumn afternoon when he was climbing up the stairs to reach his familiar rooftop to see the rain that he heard the harmonious piano from the corridor's corner. BamBam knew that melody, his favorite Kiss the rain of Yiruma. Attracted by the sound, he slowly walked nearer and leaned on the door, his eyes half-closed as he became absorbed in his own little world. So absorbed that he didn't realize when the music ended and that door suddenly opened, making him lose his balance and fell down. BamBam startled and waited for the painful collision with the floor but nothing happened. He dared to open his eyes a little and was stunned. At the proximity between his face and the stranger's and at the beautiful pair of eyes that he was locked into. Did it sound cliché? Yeah, BamBam agreed, but that was exactly how he first met Mark Yi-en Tuan.

Mark was an exchange student from the US, coming to his school as an English teacher assistant. BamBam thought for the first time in his life, he truly experienced what was called a "crush". The awkward moments finally passed and they soon began exchanging some small dialogues. BamBam used to hate having someone disturb his peaceful time with the rain but after Jin Young, he didn't mind that at all. Plus, Mark was definitely a great companion. The older boy was handsome and seemed to be perfect in everything. He gave off a calm and comfortable atmosphere, he wasn't talkative and he played the piano so well. BamBam felt at ease sitting next to Mark on the bench, listening to the melodious sound created by his flying fingers. His feeling grew up naturally and gradually and he realized he wanted to be with Mark more than just on those rainy days. Mark was caring, he was the type who would use actions rather than words to express his love and sincerity. Mark was gentle and understanding, he always knew what to do to cheer BamBam up when school and homesickness depressed him. Mark's warm hugs, sweet smiles and soft whispers were once BamBam's obsession and best treasure. But life was never easy, it gave you something only to take it later. Mark had to come back home in the US after a year. On their last date at the place of their first entry, Mark was playing Kiss the rain again.

       - You know what hyung? Whenever I hear this song, I always imagine about a couple breaking up under the rain. They stood there, facing each other, saying their last words then turning around to walk away. But the couple was still in love with each other, what they said before separating was "I love you". Isn't it a bit dramatic? BamBam asked, looking straight into Mark's face.

The elder didn't reply, just chuckled fondly at him. In a second, BamBam decided to confess all his feeling to Mark:

       - I like you hyung.

Mark lifted his chin up, his eyes filled with both happiness and sadness:

       - I like you too Bam.

Their lips met in a chaste kiss. Their first kiss, his first kiss, also their last kiss. It was their farewell as well, BamBam didn't go to the airport to see Mark off. It was raining that day and he stayed in his dorm, drowning himself with Mark special record of Kiss the rain for him while reading the elder’s letter, letting his tears fall down his cheeks freely. His first love had gone like that.

The last year of high school was full of work and BamBam spent all his time studying, preparing carefully for the coming college entrance exam. The library now became his common place instead of the rooftop or music chamber. Just like with Jin Young, he kept in touch with Mark via email. They told each other everything but never mentioned about what happen on that last day. As if they'd reached a silent commitment, both believed that their relationship wouldn't work out that way. BamBam’s hard-work was paid off and he passed the exam to his dream university. That summer, as a reward for his successful effort, his mother allowed him to travel and do whatever he wanted on his own. BamBam signed up for a volunteer trip to JeJu Island. 3 months, away from the stuffy and noisy city, living among the beautiful sea and nature, helping to teach and play with the kids here, he felt like being refresh and alive again. And also in JeJu, BamBam befriended with a new nice guy, Kim Yugyeom.

They were roommates during that vacation. Yugyeom may seem like a tall and reserved guy at the first glance but he was indeed a very kind and enthusiastic person. BamBam used to think that Yugyeom was like Mark, as they both gave off a tranquil yet pleasant aura. Though he discovered later that they were actually different, Yugyeom was more innocent while Mark was more mature (well it was understandable as Yugyeom was the same age as him and Mark was 4 years older than them). Yugyeom had a talent playing with kids, he seemed to know and understand what they bubbled about or what they wanted to play so easily. Working with him was really comfortable and interesting. And BamBam was even more pleased with his partner as he found out Yugyeom also shared his love with rain. It was a random day, the downpour came unexpectedly when they were about to head back home after visiting the kids. BamBam was excited as that was the first time it rained since his days at JeJu. He stretched out his hand to feel the droplets when Yugyeom suddenly took it and dragged him out of the eaves and into the rain:

      - Hey Bam, want to run along the coast under this rain? - asked Yugyeom with a mischievous wink.

BamBam was taken aback at the request but agreed in the end (well, he was wet already, there's no point in opposing it). They ran to the sea, splashing water into each other' face, their joyful laughter filled the air along with the cascading noise of the rain. In that moment, BamBam felt as if he had travelled back to his childhood time, innocent and carefree, with all his worries temporarily being thrown away.

      - Bam, I'm so glad I met you on this trip. It's like finally I have a true friend for myself - Yugyeom whispered on their way back from the beach, both were exhausted but relaxed and happy.

      - Hm, me too. I'm glad we met each other - said BamBam softly, his smile tug at his lips.

                                                                                                   *                *                *

“Oneuldo nae gieogeul ttarahemaeda

I gil kkeuteseo seoseongineun na

Dasin bol sudo eomneun niga nareul butjaba

Naneun tto I gireul mutneunda”

His phone suddenly rang, cutting off BamBam' memory. He stared at the caller ID before answering it:

      - Hi hyung, what's wrong?

      - Hi Bam, I know it's sudden but are you free today? Can you come help me because it's so busy and the lazy Park No Young called off the evening shift? What an irresponsible owner!!!

      - Oh –BamBam chuckled lightly - I'm sorry hyung, I really want to help you but today is an important day for me. Y'know, our...

      - Ah, ops, I forgot. Never mind Bam, I'll ask someone else then. Has he come back from his training?

      - Not yet, he said he would come back at around 7, so 2 more hours to go. I'm sorry again hyung.

      - Nah, sorry for what? If I remember, I wouldn't call to ask you. Ok, enjoy your evening then. I gotta go now.

      - Thank you hyung. And good luck!

BamBam ended the call and stood up, bringing the now empty cup back to the kitchen. Hm, and maybe it's good time to begin preparing for dinner now. BamBam hummed a random melody happily, looking over the recipe again while taking out all the ingredients from the fridge. He wanted everything to be perfect for tonight.

The person who just called him was Young Jae - his coworker and "haft" boss at Forever Young, a coffee shop he works part-time at since his sophomore year. BamBam found out about this lovely place one day when he and Yugyeom were wandering near Han River. Oh, they remain best friend ever since the service trip and even though they studied at different colleges, it's been a habit they would meet once every fortnight. Forever Young attracted him at first sight because of its total opposite outlook with other shops around, aloof yet unique. The atmosphere inside was peaceful and warm, fragrant smell of coffee mixed with sweet smell of new-baked cupcakes filled the air, the place was crowded but the main sound came from the old cassette playing an instrumental song. BamBam felt in love with the place the second he stepped in and gradually, he became a common guest here. When they were hiring for more employees, he immediately applied for the position. Forever Young's owner was "the lazy Park No Young" and his "boyfriend" Choi Young Jae. BamBam liked teasing them about how obvious they were but those two idiots just being stubborn enough to refuse it. Anyway, they finally became official 6 months after he worked there. Which was around the same time he met "him".

To be honest, BamBam didn't have a good impression with "this person" at first. Ah, how can he phrase that? Such an arrogant, all over the place, flirty, loud and shameless one who seemed to have nothing better to do than messing around and teasing him. He remembered coming to work one day when he saw someone was at the bar counter joking with Young Jae. Then "that someone" turned to look at him as he clocked in and the first sentence he said to him was:

      - Hey beauty, would you be my boyfriend?

BamBam’s eyes went wide and his jaw dropped at that moment while Young Jae burst out laughing like there's no tomorrow. The culprit, on the other hands, was still looking at him mischievously, fake innocence written all over his face. From that day on, the normal life of BamBam changed completely as he got himself a self-assigned admirer: Jackson freaking Wang. Or he preferred to call as an annoying nuisance.

Jackson really lived up to that name. It was a mystery (and a little scary) how he managed to show up in all BamBam shifts. He always sat at the same spot, ordered the same drink and did absolutely nothing. Well, nothing if you don't count disturbing his concentration by saying flirtatious and cheesy comments as something. BamBam lost tracks of how many times he wanted to throw the rug or shout at Jackson's face after only 6 hours. And he was always proud of his ability to put up with all kinds of people. Plus, Jackson loves the sun and hates everything about raining days. BamBam saw the hatred and annoyance written clearly on Jackson’s face and heard all his complaints about how wet and cold and slippery the continuous drizzles caused during the whole winter. They were completely different from their background (Jackson is an athlete, a fencer to be precise while BamBam dreamed to be an interior designer and he hates sports in general) to their smallest hobby. He couldn't understand why Jackson wanted to interfere with his perfectly fine life. So when Jackson announced one day with such a great amount of determination that he would make BamBam his, the latter just smirked and ignored it, believing that it was just a joke he made spontaneously. BamBam believed that Jackson would give up the idea as soon as he realized how impossible it sound.

But... He was wrong though, totally wrong. Jackson was more stubborn than he thought. For a year and a half, BamBam got used to having Jackson following him everywhere, every time. Not only in Forever Young, had Jackson now become his private driver, taking him from home to school, to work and back. BamBam still remembered his embarrassment when he heard his classmate' loud scream the first time they saw Jackson (while the other just simply enjoyed it with a smug grin on his lips). Jackson also took him out on weekends or holidays to many beautiful places. They tried out a lot of interesting and breathtaking games together and BamBam found out despite his fierce look, Jackson is actually scared of height and can't ride roller coasters. All the previous flirty comments had gone and replaced by little stories about his day, his family, friends or his tournament schedule; by gentle encouragement before BamBam’s exams or caring reminders when the weather changed and by small surprise gifts (BamBam was speechless when Jackson prepared dosirak for him, though the quality of the first few times was quite terrible). Jackson seemed to turn into a whole new person and BamBam was panic when he realized how much he liked this transformation. It naturally became his habit to read Jackson message first thing in the morning, to search for his car when school's over or to spend hours talking with him over the phone if he was on his tournament. BamBam's last wall of doubt was finally brought down when he felt Jackson's affection and passion only seemed to increase over time. He couldn't repress his curiosity and eagerness when Fridays came to find out what Jackson planned for them or his missing feelings when they were apart. BamBam wasn't aware of this until Yugyeom told him one day that Jackson unknowingly became the main subject of their conversation. Jackson's existence now played an important part in BamBam's life. But when Yugyeom asked him if he loved Jackson or not, he didn't know how to respond.

BamBam was so absorbed in his memory and the boiling dish in front of him that he didn't hear the door opening and someone walked in silent. Only when he was back hugged and lifted up did BamBam let out a surprised shriek:

      - Ah, you are home!

      - Hm, I am. What were you doing to not come and greet me? - Jackson asked, rubbing against his neck.

      - Me? Oh, just thinking back to how we became a couple.

Not unexpected at all, right? They're a couple for a year now and today is their first anniversary.  

      - Aw, you were thinking about me? So sweet baby.

      - Ash, not only you but also about Jae Bum, Jin Young, Mark and Yugyeom.

      - Why were you thinking about them today huh? - The grip around his waist suddenly tightened.

      - Phfff, don't be jealous! It's just a coincidence that I hear from them all today - BamBam turned off the gas before turning over to face his now pouting boyfriend, his arms around the elder’s neck - Jae Bum finally had his own Bboy dance studio, Jin Young just received his first leading role in an upcoming drama. Yugyeom told me that he won the trophy in his street dance competition. And Mark, he's gonna open a new business branch in Asia. Isn’t it great? I'm glad they all achieved something. So, how was your training? Was it good?

       - You bet. I miss you like crazy - Jackson leaned in but BamBam stopped him, pinching his chin playfully.

       - It was raining just like last year. Do you still remember?

       - Just as wet as last year. How can I forget it huh? You made me worried to death the week before. I thought I would explode that moment you asked me.

       - You still hate raining days, don't you? – BamBam pouted at Jackson’s voice.

       - Well, not as much. As long as you are with me, I think I can learn to like them - winking.

       - Shhh, what a sweet talker you are! Anyway, Happy anniversary, Jack. Welcome home! I miss you too.

       - Happy anniversary baby. I can have my "celebratory" kisses now, right?

BamBam answered with his brilliant smile, closing the gap between them.

BamBam was thinking hard about Yugyeom's question. He knew his feeling for Jackson had changed dramatically the last few months, but he wasn't sure about what caused it. He wasn't sure if his feelings changed because he fell in love with Jackson or just because he was pleased with the thought that Jackson loved him, needed him and would do whatever he wanted. BamBam didn't like the second thought yet he didn't want to mistake his feelings either. It wouldn't fair to give Jackson hope while taking advantage of his caring. So, in order to test himself, he ran away, leaving only a short message left: "Hi, Jack! Let's not meet or talk for a week. I have to think something over. Don't go find me. I'm fine. See you later"

BamBam spent that week coming back home to stay with his mom. To be honest, he did have a great time: going to places he couldn't go after a long time, eating a lot of delicious homemade dishes and simply enjoying the peaceful and fresh atmosphere of his hometown. But despite all the fun he had, he couldn't help the lost and missing feeling growing inside his heart, couldn't help thinking about a certain person, asking himself over and over what he would be doing, if he would think about him or not.

       - Bammie - his mom called him the last day before he went back to university - what has bothered you these days? You spaced out a lot – really, he thought, nothing escaped her sharp eyes.

       - Mom, is it love if I can't get someone’s image out of my mind, if I kept wondering and wanting to know everything happened in their day? I mean, this empty feeling when they aren't here with me, it's so... I don't know...

       - Oh my baby boy – his mom smiled - yes, that's love. Who is this person that makes my son lovesick like this?

       - Uhm, will you be fine if I say that it is a guy? - asked BamBam, too afraid to face her.

       - Bammie, as long as he makes you happy then I'll be fine with it. Plus, even though you never told me about this, I knew you had something for that Mark guy back in high school. Ok, now take your phone back and text him or call him. And remember to bring him with you next time you visit me.

They met again near Han River. BamBam was worried, he didn't know what to talk and how to start. A turmoil of different thoughts and images ran inside his head and BamBam became even more panic. Thankfully, as if read through his mind, an unexpected rain came and calmed him down. By the time he saw Jackson walking toward him, BamBam at least made up his decision.

       - Bammie, where have you been?

       - No, don't come closer. Stand there, I have something to ask you.

Jackson shot him a puzzled and worried look but he did what he was told. Their distance was only a spread of arms yet Jackson never seemed that far away for BamBam. The nervousness rushed back to him like a flood once again.

       - Alright, what do you want to ask?

       - Do you still love me?

       - Huh?

       - No, do you still want to be my boyfriend? - BamBam mumbled at a lightning speed, his eyes shut tight.

There was no response back from Jackson and BamBam was too dread to open his eyes to check if Jackson was still there or not. The disappointment growing quickly inside his heart the longer the silence became and he felt the tears threatening to fall down. That until he was pulled into a wet hug and a pair of lips touched his own. His first kiss with Jackson was passionate yet gentle and he loved it despite how soaking wet they were after as their umbrellas thrown away on the ground.

       - That's a totally unnecessary question Bammie. I've always waited for this moment since like forever.

       - It's a yes right?

       - Yes, yes, it is - Jackson said, kissing him again.

                                                                                               *                *                 *

       - Bammie, let's go to sleep now - Jackson called him from their bedroom, he's already in his pajama, patting the empty place beside him.

BamBam changed into his pajama as well and crawled on the bed. He snuggled up next to Jackson, enjoying the warmth from the elder's embrace.

       - Do you still want to be my boyfriend? - BamBam asked mischievously, his fingers playing with Jackson’s knuckles.

       - What kind of question is this? – Jackson titled his head - Of course, I want to celebrate with you our 20th, 50th or even 100th anniversary.

       - Shh, as if we could live to 100 years old.

       - Who knows? And you didn't object the idea - said Jackson, rubbing his nose near BamBam neck.

       - Stop it, it's tickling - BamBam laughed heartily - hey, I'm still curious, do you remember the first thing you said to me?

       - Oh, sure, did you think I'm a ert?

       - Kekeke, kind of. I even thought you were a player. But, why did you say that?

       - Uhm, well - Jackson stuttered, a suspicious shade of red was spreading over his face – why? Because of you. It was like, I fell in love with you the moment I saw you walking in. So I just wanted to say something impressive, unfortunately, it turned out that way.

BamBam really wanted to laugh at that honest explanation but being locked in the affection of Jackson's eyes, no sound escaped his mouth.

       - I didn't have any real love experience before so I didn't know which would be the best way to approach you until Young Jae advised me, that's why I changed my behavior. And lucky me, it worked! - smiled Jackson lovingly at him.

BamBam cupped Jackson' face with his hands and pecked his lips:

       - It was not love at first sight for me, but I'll love you till the end.

The romantic atmosphere was ruined as Jackson suddenly turned off the light and pulled BamBam down:

       - Urgh, baby, let's end this important day in a proper way.

The dark shadow covered the whole room and their night officially began now. In between his panting, BamBam smiled happily, silently thanked his five-special-people and the memories they gave him.

"We may fall apart but the fact that we met each other was great enough. Thanks for being a part of my life guys.”

 

A/N: Sorry guys for the late update but this fic was harder than I thought. I'm not 100% content but I hope you enjoy the fic. Please comment, I really want to know your opinion about it. Thank you :*