Chapter 2

26 Memories of Love

6.Freedom

Ever since he debuted, Ryeowook felt that he had less freedom than before. He missed the time where he could eat whenever and whatever he liked without being restricted by the amount of calories he should be taking in each day. He felt restricted whenever he had to walk out of the streets wearing sunglasses at times in order to not get chased by fans, when he used to be able to walk freely on the streets. He felt so restricted in so many ways, even the way he should behave and speak, that he only found freedom when he could sing, in his own style. To Ryeowook, freedom meant singing.

Min Ae, on the other hand, had aspired to become an artist since young. True that she fulfilled her wish, but she didn’t expect to have to follow deadlines. She wanted to draw because she loved it, not to meet some deadlines. Whenever she looked at the calendar on her desk with so many red circles to mark the deadline, she felt so restricted that even when she picked up her pencil, she couldn’t even draw. The only time she found freedom, was when she was able to draw outside, in her very own sketchbook. To Min Ae, freedom meant drawing.

Freedom, an easy word to read, and to say, but both Ryeowook and Min Ae found it difficult to achieve that. But that was before they met each other. Now other than singing and drawing which both of them found freedom in, most importantly, they felt free when they were in each other’s arms. To the both of them, freedom now meant having each other at their side.          


7.Greece

It must have been a coincidence, but after they’ve met on the plane, talked and went their separate ways, they’ve met again the next day. Ryeowook was shocked to see Min Ae sitting alone at the table in the hotel dining area eating her breakfast. She didn’t notice him, and Ryeowook weighed on his choices on whether he should go up to greet her. After all, it would be rather embarrassing if she didn’t remember him.

“Hey, isn’t that the girl you were so happily talking to on the plane yesterday?” Kyuhyun noticed the girl and nudged his friend.

“Yes, her name’s Min Ae.” Ryeowook nodded and looked at her again.

“She’s pretty. Aren’t you going to say hello?” Kyuhyun tilted his head to the side.

“Well…I…I’m not sure.” Ryeowook spoke hesitantly. Min Ae was definitely pretty, but he wasn’t confident with himself.

“Geez.. you’re such an old man. Come on, lets go!” Kyuhyun sighed and dragged Ryeowook forward.

“Hey…Kyu!” He proceeded to pull back Kyuhyun but they were already in front of the table.

“Hi Miss, is there anyone sitting here?” Kyuhyun asked, gesturing to the empty seats.

“No, there isn’t.” Min Ae looked up, surprised when she saw Ryeowook, “ Hey! Haven’t we met yesterday? You’re Ryeowook, right? Have a seat” She gestured to the both of them.

“And you are?” Min Ae prompted Kyuhyun as the both of them sat down.

“Kyuhyun. I’m his friend. So, Min Ae, where’re you going today?”” Kyuhyun smiled and replied.

“Well, I’m planning to go some sight-seeing, but I came to Greece without a destination in mind.” She admitted.

“Why not you follow us then? We’ve already planned everything. It’ll be fun!” Kyuhyun said, elbowing Ryeowook who was silent.

“Are you sure? I wouldn’t want to interrupt you guys.” Min Ae asked, while looking at Ryeowook.

“Yes, its alright, come along.” Ryeowook gave a bashful smile. As the three launched into a talk on different architectures they’ve seen and the culture in Greece, they happily formed new friendships.

Or…In Kyuhyun’s opinion, a blossoming romance, as he stared at the pair.


8.Home

It was just another relaxing day at their own favourite haunt where the both of them were finally free, Ryeowook from his promotional activities and Min Ae from her art exhibition. They lazed around under the sun. After planting another row of daffodils, they laid down on the grass and laced their fingers together as they stared at the fluffy clouds.

“I can do this with you all day. Just lazing around, planting flowers, doing almost nothing.” Ryeowook said, turning to smile at her,

“Are you sure? Don’t you think it’ll be boring after some time?” Min Ae raised her eyebrows, but at the same time thinking of what it’ll be like to really live like that, with no worries.

“It’s ok. I’ll make it interesting. I can sing for you, and we can have celebrations! Oh, other than that, we can also cook together, and I can be your model too!” Ryeowook gushed, rubbing his thumb against Min Ae’s hand as he spoke.

“Yeah, that’ll be nice. Let’s live like that when we’re older, shall we?” She asked, smiling at the sky. Time with Ryeowook never seemed to pass.

“Oppa, aren’t you tired? You were just back from overseas yesterday. Don’t you want to go home to sleep?” She asked, wishing that he would rest more.

“It’s ok, I’ve rested more than enough. It’s been a long time since we spent time like this. I want to cherish this.”

The both of them stayed silent as they breathed in each other scent. Min Ae closed her eyes and sighed. She couldn’t have asked for a better boyfriend. One day, she wanted to have a home together with him.

“Oppa, what is home to you?” She suddenly asked Ryeowook out of the blue. Home, she felt, was something that meant a lot to her. It was a place where she could rest, and hear laughter, tell stories. But that was all in the past.

“Home? Home is wherever you are.” He turned and looked at her. The both of them stared into each other’s eyes for a short moment before closing in for a kiss.

Home is wherever you are.


9.Ice Cream

“How can you not like chocolate chips? It’s definitely better than just pure chocolate!”

“Chocolate is best when you just eat it alone. Ice cream is meant to melt in your mouth. Why do you want to bite chips while eating?”

“What are the both of you doing? Quarrelling in the dorm while I’m trying to sleep!” A bang was heard and a dishevelled looking Heechul stormed out. Upon seeing that, the couple cringed. It turned out that Min Ae had came to look for Ryeowook at the dorm and they had decided to go to the nearby ice cream café for some ice cream. If there was one thing that both Ryeowook and Min Ae loved, it would be ice cream. Unfortunately, after the both of them asked each other what kind of flavour they loved, they both launched into a discussion that later turned heated on whether they should buy chocolate ice cream with chips or without.

“Hyung…Er…We…” Ryeowook gave him an apologetic look and stuttered.

“I’m sorry, Heechul oppa.” Min Ae said in a small voice, still rather afraid whenever Heechul’s in one of his moodswings.

“Seriously, what are the both of you quarrelling about?” Heechul didn’t take any of that and demanded with hands crossed over his chest. The couple looked at each other before looking back at Heechul, who was still waiting for them to talk. Sighing, Min Ae began to tell him what they were quarrelling about.

“What?! You guys must be really joking! Quarrelling about what ice cream to buy! Aren’t you guys rich enough already? Just buy two flavours! Seriously, I can’t believe I’m being woken up from my sleep just because of ice cream.” Heechul scoffed.

“You’re right! Thanks Heechul hyung!” Ryeowook’s eyes lit up at that idea and dragged Min Ae out to buy ice cream while Heechul continued rambling about his lack of sleep.

“Yah! You’re leaving just like that? At least buy me a mint flavoured ice cream!” Heechul called out to the two disappearing figures before cursing under his breath.


10.Jealous

Min Ae was in shock when she finally had a chance to visit her boyfriend’s room. She blinked her eyes and rubbed them again, hoping that she was just dreaming. She wasn’t exaggerating, but she just couldn’t believe that the entire room was really filled with giraffes.

“Oppa…What is this?” She asked, feeling a bit fascinated though she found it unbelievable.

“They’re my darlings! Look, let me introduce you to Kiki!” Min Ae smiled, seeing that Ryeowook’s eyes twinkled at the mention of the giraffes. Tugging her hand, he took up on of the giraffes and put it in her hands. He gestured non-stop and kept talking, telling her that all giraffes are now their children.

She didn’t know why, but something shot through her as she looked at her boyfriend, still happily introducing the giraffes. What was that? Something sour, and something uneasy sprung within her.

“Oppa…” She called out softly, and subconsciously, she gripped the animal plushie tighter.

“Yes? Honey, are you alright?” Ryeowook asked worriedly, suddenly sensing Min Ae’s seriousness when she called him.

“Giraffes, and me. Who do you love more?” She asked.

Upon hearing the question, Ryeowook stood still for a while. Min Ae was jealous of the giraffes? Suddenly, he found it so hilarious he kept laughing and gasping for air.

Min Ae stared as he laughed, mentally slapping herself for asking such a stupid question. What am I thinking? Getting jealous over toys that cannot talk. She thought, now Oppa’s laughing at me.

“Oh Honey, of course I love you more. Just what were you thinking? I’ll always love you more and more.” He reached out and brought the blushing Min Ae into an embrace.

His silly girlfriend, who is jealous of toys, when she was not at all jealous whenever he gave fan-service during concerts or autograph sessions. But, regardless of how she is, he’ll always love her more and more.