My Invisible Friend

Don't You Know Me?

“Hmmmm.”

Jaeun sighed again. She was holding hands with her boyfriend as they strolled through the markets, not really needing anything, just wanting to spend a lovely day together. It was a very sunny and warm day, so Jaeun had opted to wear shorts, nothing too short of course but nonetheless she received a few mild appreciative glances.

She bumped into a middle-aged lady with frizzy hair and flowing clothes that Jaeun then proceeded to trip over. Had her boyfriend not caught her, she would have been sprawled across the gravel. The lady gave a quick apology before noticing the loving way Ken righted his girlfriend. She smiled at the couple and continued on her way.

Jaeun sighed again and Ken chuckled. “What’s the matter, sweet?”

“It’s so terrible Ken!” Jaeun pouted.

“What is?” He asked before a message from N flashed on his phone. She’s STILL ignoring me, boys. What now?

“Oh.”

Eunseo was still ignoring N. It had been four weeks and the gang leader was running around like a headless chicken trying to redeem himself. Eunseo was having none of it, although there had been a couple of nights where she had put aside the silent treatment so they could ‘enjoy themselves’, only to kick him out of their bed the next morning, minus his clothes and dignity. She really did have him wrapped around her little finger.

“You know what Ken? We should put aside our worries of others and focus of us today!” Jaeun suddenly announced. Ken was more than happy to comply with her request.

The afternoon was filled with searching for couple rings, smearing ice-cream on each other’s faces, enjoying a pizza (or four) and buying numerous giant stuffed animals because Jaeun found them cute.

“Sweetie, do you really need this penguin? This is the third one you’ve made me buy today.” Ken sighed.

Jaeun spun around with a pout. “Am I not allowed to appreciate cute things?” Damn, he thought. The puppy eyes had made an appearance.

He sighed and bought the oversized plushie. “Of course you are, sweetie.” He prayed the gang never knew about this side of him that melted at the slightest cutesy action from his adorable girlfriend.

She grinned happily. “Thank you Ken! Don’t be jealous just because they’re cuter than you.” She pinched his nose and waltzed off towards home. Lamenting at his weakness – her – he trotted off after her faithfully. There were nearly out of the busy street when Ken heard a wolf-whistle ring out, directed at none other than Jaeun. The boy was slightly younger but full of swagger, approaching Jaeun with a smirk. She smiled politely back and looked frantically around for her boyfriend to save her from the oncoming onslaught. Ken coolly placed a hand around her waist, the other carrying bags of stuffed animals, and gave a genuine smile to the suddenly less-cocky boy.

As they walked home, Jaeun couldn’t help but ask, “Ken, how do you manage to stay so laid-back in situations like that?”

He smiled down at her. “You are exceptional Jaeun, and I am perfectly fine with other guys acknowledging what is true. At the end of the day, sweetie, I know we belong together, and nothing will tear us apart, especially something as petty as that. Besides, babe, jealousy is not in my nature. I would hate to try and control you; possessive is a trait I hate in relationships, but know that I care so much about you. You are the light in my very dark life, Jaeun. And someday my Shifted self will realise that and I can truly be your protector.”

“Stop trying to out-cute penguins, Ken.” She winked at him, although her eyes were tearing up at his sudden outburst.

He frowned. “Seriously? That’s all I get?”

She edged away from his mischievous smirk. “How many seconds do I have to run?”

“Five. Actually, three, considering I have to carry all these ridiculous toys.”

They ran all the way to the house, through the door, past some suspicious sounds coming from N and Eunseo’s room and finally collapsed exhausted on the bed. Well, Jaeun did. She had been running for her life, while Ken had been ‘trying’ to catch her. Trying being a loose term.

Laughing together, they lay there conjuring up absurd proclamations of love.

“I love you more than a bee loves honey!” Ken exclaimed suddenly.

“…Please consider what you just said and the implications of it.”

His eyes widened and Jaeun burst out laughing, reaching out to pinch his nose. “I love you more than my penguins. You’re cuter than them too.”

“I’m cute?”

“Very.”

“Juuuuuust cute?” He said, lifting up his shirt just enough to show his toned muscles.

Jaeun gulped. “Well…” She squeaked.

He pulled her closer. “You know, I could’ve been very nasty today but I chose to be an angel for you. That’s hard for me, considering I’m a diabolic gang member. How do you plan to repay me, sweetie?” He was whispering seductively in her ear at this point, and she knew where this was going…

Could they? Serin and Ravi had gone to an amusement park for the day (oh dear), Leo and Yebin were camping in the mountains for the night, Hongbin had taken Lici to a fashion exhibition (poor bean) and Eunseo was uh, occupying N’s attention. She weighed it up. Fairly safe.

She pulled away, ignoring his heartbroken expression and turned to the numerous stuffed toys lining the edge of the bed. Very carefully, she took them away and locked them in the wardrobe. She spun around and quickly returned to Ken’s arms. In response to his raised eyebrows, she gave an innocent smile. “I didn’t want the children seeing anything too inappropriate, Ken.”

That was all he needed to hear.

 

Two weeks later, and Jaeun was in her apartment getting ready for a night of “harmless” clubbing with Eunseo. She had moved out temporarily while Ken was under the effects of his Shift, but she wished N and Ravi hadn’t forced her out. She had never seen any of them like that, and was incredibly curious despite the horror she had heard and seen that Serin had been through.

The night was light-hearted and fun, with no hook-ups whatsoever, just two close friends dancing and forgetting the dark and secretive lives they led.

“Aye, you look pretty lonely ladies,” said a drunken voice behind them. Jaeun sighed, please not again.

She felt a hand grip her shoulder and spin her around. Face to face with a slobbering, red-faced drunken uni student who frequented the coffee shop she worked at. “Wanna dance?” He asked while dragging her away from Eunseo. Jaeun lost sight of her friend and then she was crowded by sweaty, energetic bodies and flashing lights. The man pulled her close ignoring her protests, and started dancing with her. There was little body contact, so Jaeun slowly started backing away. But then his hand went to grab her , and as she squeaked with shock a fist came swinging out of nowhere. Crunch. The man’s nose poured out blood as he collapsed on the floor. The other partygoers had stopped and watched open-mouthed as Ken appeared besides Jaeun with one arm protectively around her waist while the other grabbed the man by the shirt and hauled him up. “Do have a death wish, bag?” His voice sounded off, too aggressive, and Jaeun’s initial relief at his rescue faded as she saw his pitch-black eyes. He let go of her and the man, who wobbled for a moment unsteadily on his feet. And then Ken lunged, punching, kicking and kneeing the man over and over. It wasn’t until a blade appeared in his hand however, that Jaeun came out of her shock.

“ENOUGH KEN! OH MY GOD YOU’LL KILL HIM! ENOUGH! OH MY GOD!” She shrieked.

He turned and in a flash had her pinned against the wall with the blade at . “You can’t stand up for yourself so shut up, pet.” His rough voice and black eyes were cold, unfeeling.

“Ken, that’s enough. Get a hold of yourself man.” N placed a hand on Ken’s shoulder and drew blood. Without taking his eyes off Jaeun’s face, Ken growled at his leader. “How did you know I was here?”

“Eunseo called me. The boys took her home. And now we need to clean your mess.”

Ken dropped the knife and sighed, visibly calming down. “He tried to take liberties with the woman I love, N.”

“I understand. But still. You’re Shifted. Don’t be an idiot.”

Jaeun found her voice. “I can take Ken home and clean him up, N. If that’s safe?”

Ken flicked his eyes back at her. “Of course it’s safe. I would never hurt you, Jaeun. You have to believe me.”

N looked back and forth between the two and finally sighed with defeat. “Fine. But, Jaeun, if anything goes wrong, we will intervene and take appropriate action. Understood?”

As Jaeun dragged a still-fuming Ken out the doors, N concentrated on the matter of hand. Summoning his demons, he invaded the mind of every person and wiped their memories of the events. As for the beaten-up student, he was left anonymously at the doors of a hospital to be dealt with by somebody else.

 

Jaeun stared at Ken. He was slumped on her couch, head in hands, silent and unmoving. He was so different, so scary but at the same time she felt safe with him around.

“Ah…Ken?”

A grunt in response.

“Are you…mad at me?”

Those pitch-black eyes flicked up to look intensely at her. “Why would you think that?” His voice was rough and she saw black running down his face.

“Oh my god Ken, what’s wrong? What have you done to your face?” She rushed over and pried his hands away.

He gently pushed her back. “It’s nothing.”

“Don’t screw with me Ken, it doesn’t look like nothing-”

“Would you ing leave me alone? They’re tears all right! I’m…crying.” He looked away in shame.

Jaeun’s eyes widened. She wordlessly sat beside him and when he didn’t protest, she took his face in her hands and wiped the tears away, ignoring the oily black substance that stained her hands.

“Why are you upset Ken? You know you can tell me anything. There is nothing you can do that would make me love you any less.”

“I disappointed you. I scared you. Don’t deny it, Jaeun, even now you’re terrified of me. And I can’t go back to being myself and it’s killing me that you’re disgusted by this side of me. And there are all these bad thoughts circulating around my head about what I’d like to do to you.”

Jaeun shivered, but supressed it. “I am slightly scared Ken, but at the same time you make me feel safe, protected, like this. So, please, just let me take care of you.”

He stared at her for a while. “You’re telling the truth?”

“Of course I am. I love you, Ken, regardless of what form you’re in.”

He glared at her with those black eyes. “Then prove it.”

She leaned and very slowly placed her lips sweetly on his. But Ken was having none of it. He swept her up in his arms and carried her to her bedroom before dumping her on the bed.

“Ken…” She whispered.

He started ing his shirt. “Jaeun, sweetie, please. I love you and I promise not to hurt you, but I need proof you feel the same.”

She squeaked as his toned body came into view. “Proof?”

He leaned over her, now completely shirtless. “Let me make you mine, Jaeun.”

Her face reddened as she caught where he was going with this. “But I’m already-”

He kissed her roughly then, and Jaeun couldn’t form a coherent sentence for the rest of the night.

 

When she woke up, ecstatic but sore, Ken was gone, clothes and all. Despite his absence, her face was red. He had left no actual marks on her, but she felt it. Mine. Never had Ken been so possessive.

She went to shower and get dressed, but when she returned she was dumbfounded. Her bed was made, clothes put away and when she went out she discovered breakfast had been made and flowers left. She smiled, it must be Ken.

The feeling died as the week dragged on. She never saw or heard from Ken, he wouldn’t answer her texts or calls and she dared not visit the house. Everything was done for her but it was starting to get creepy. And then she received random texts from Ken that indicated he was watching her, but she could never find him and any replies were ignored by him.

It was becoming creepy, even for her boyfriend. Particularly when it came to guys. Her childhood friend was involved in a mysterious car accident on his way to meet her, ending up with a broken leg and mild concussion. Jaeun’s nerves were fried at this point.

“Thanks for showing me around, Jaeun.” She smiled at her cousin, Jongmin, who was visiting for a week and crashing at her place.

“No problem.”

They sat outside Jaeun’s – and Ken’s – favourite café, enjoying copious amounts of sweet food. But then he walked out.

She started shaking as he approached, sensing the sadism in his eyes, carefully hidden behind sunglasses.

He leaned in and pecked her cheek. “Hey sweetie, fancy meeting you here!” He said too cheerily.

Jongmin smiled. “Are you by any chance Ken? Jaeun is always raving about how incredible you are.”

Ken’s eyes narrowed in on Jongmin. “Who are you, might I ask?”

“Jongmin. Pleased to meet you.”

“And, what, are, you, doing, out, with, Jaeun.”

“She’s my accommodation while I stay here.”

Danger. Red Light. Jongmin, you’ve dug your own grave.

Ken, without warning, grabbed her cousin, and threw him through the café window, the sound of breaking glass mingled with Jaeun’s scream. He followed through and hauled Jongmin back through the window, dragging him through glass shards, dropping his foot repeatedly into her cousin’s stomach.

Jaeun was screaming at him incoherently, but sure the message for him to stop was getting through. She heard somebody calling the police, and then, the ambulance as Jongmin was slowly becoming in serious danger of death. Ken was beating Jongmin, despite the latter being unconscious, ignoring Jaeun’s grip on his arm and her pleas to stop. As sirens began to be heard, Ken abruptly stopped and grabbed her by the waist, roughly shaking her. “You see what happens when you see other guys, pet?”

“HE’S MY COUSIN AND YOU’VE JUST ABOUT KILLED HIM. I HATE YOU KEN. I HATE YOU!” She cried hysterically.

His eyes darkened. “You’re still mine, Jaeun. You’d be wise to remember that.”

And with a sound of flapping wings, he was gone. She fell to her knees, weeping, as the paramedics rushed in and around Jongmin. “Miss.”

She looked up. Two police officers. “Do you know what happened here?”

“My cousin…was visiting me…he…came out of nowhere…and…just about killed him.” She started sobbing again. They looked at her with sympathy. “Did you know the man who did this? A jealous boyfriend perhaps?”

Right on the mark.

“No, he was a total stanger.”

“You sure?”

“Positive. I didn’t know him, don’t know him.”

 

 

Hidden amongst the branches of a large tree, Ken was furious. Don’t you know me? I’ll show you, Jaeun, you’re mine, and you will know me very well.

 

*SO yes. The ending was really weird, sorry itapan, who requested Ken, I hope you liked it :) And I am TERRIBLE at violent/fight scenes.

Also sorry guys about going AWOL school and life got in the way. The story has really changed from what it was originally going to be, blaming Eunseoh for that one.

Love you guys chu-