Ch. 1 Please Do Tell Me More

Five Wrongs Make A Right

CH. 1 Please Do Tell Me More


 

I barely had a moment to sip my coffee once I arrived at the office before the department head dropped off four binders and two stacks of documents on my desk. I had to review them all before writing a report and submitting them back to her. This is the kind of work I do (in addition to sorting the pens based on their colors and values on my desk). Occasionally, I’d have to answer client calls and book appointment between the higher ups and company partners.

 

I sighed again, staring at the documents in front of me. I wonder if I need to skip lunch today. Luckily, I wasn’t half dead, so I was efficient enough to spare myself a thirty minute lunch break at roughly 12.45 pm. Yes, my pattern is a bit off today.

 

I was just about to head out to lunch when I noticed my phone vibrating. I had three missed calls. My fingers pressed lightly on the screen.

 

"Yeoboseyo?"

 

"Yeoboseyo! Sungyeolie I've been trying to reach you all morning."

 

"Wae what do you want? "

 

"Your mom called me the other day."

 

"And?..."

 

"So...we had a talk...and..I did this thing."

 

"No. You didn't...Daehyun...you didn't!"

 

"I did! You have a date at 7:30 tonight! Heheh Surprise!!!"

 

"WHAT!? TONIGHT??!! WHAT THE HECK MAN!"

 

"Don't worry he's really cool, a cool guy, real cool guy...trust me."

 

"But.. but...I don't even know what to wear! I don't even know what to do! Daehyun! Are you listening to me?"

 

"Don't worry, everything will be alright. Wait hold on! Youngjae is calling me. I'll text you the location later gottagobye!"

 

" Wait...Daehyun no...wait wait! You don't hang up! Ughh!!! Daehyun! DAEHYUN! I hate you!"

 

*beep*

 

I can't believe this. .

 

_________________________________________________________


 

I bolted through my apartment the as soon as I got home, kicked off my shoes, threw my briefcase on the sofa, and ran into my room. I really really had nothing decent to wear. Actually, I do, but I didn’t want to wear a suit (my work suite mind you) to meet my date. What if he thought I was some really stale boring person who lives by mysel-...or worst with cats? Many many cats.

 

This is what happens when I haven’t gone out to meet anyone for years. I had no perception of what’s cool these days and Daehyun did stress that this guy was the “cool” type, so it’ll be a bummer if I’m “uncool”.

 

*bring bring* My phone rang, indicating that there was a text. It was Daehyun sending me the address of the meeting place.

 

Quickly, I began digging through my closet looking for something that looks modern enough. I found a nice dark blue dress shirt and a pair of form fitting black skinny pants. I internally thanked the heavens for those times I went in a shopping frenzy and bought casual but chic clothing.

 

“Infinite Cafe” was the name of the Cafe we’re meeting at. Gosh darn it this kid Daehyun, where the hell was that? I quickly punched it into to my phone’s GPS to search for bus route before heading out the door.

 

The cafe looked rather fancy when I arrived (not like it should matter...okay, it does matter. I don’t want a cheap date). It wasn’t that type of uncomfortably fancy looking places where you have to get reservations to get in, but it wasn’t a shabby place either. It had lots of charm and the atmosphere was rather romantic too. It was warm and welcoming, but not so welcoming that it became awkward.

 

The atmosphere made me feel more optimistic, and I really hope the “cool guy” Daehyun set me up with is nice. I glanced at my wrist to check the time. Hey, I’m on time, not early, but not late either (bless the punctuality of an office worker). This was good since I didn’t want to make a bad impression and arrive late, but I also didn’t want to appear too desperate and show up too early as well. I sat by the waiting area near the front counter. I checked my watched again. Ok...this guy is just a little late. It’s okay...I guess...

 

I shouldn’t penalize them for being a little late on the first date. I looked around to see if there was anyone coming into the cafe by themselves, but then I realized Daehyun never sent me a picture of the guy, so I have no idea what he looks like!

 

Quickly, I pulled out my cellphone checking for any message from that devil Daehyun.

 

Nothing…

 

~Daehyun you bastard, I’ve been here for more than 15 minutes, and he’s not here! Or at least I wouldn’t know since you didn’t send me anything to identify the guy!!! XO. ~ *bring*

 

~Oh HAAAH Sorry Sungyeolie! I forgot, anyways I forgot to ask him for a selca! But I’ll text him right now to ask what he’s wearing for you. brb. OH, and what are you wearing?~ *bring*

~ A navy blue dress shirt, and black ripped jeans.~

*bring bring*

 

~Hmmmm… but black. hides your curves..why didn’t you wear the white ones? It shows off your form more~ *bring bring*

 

~Shut up Daehyun! I don’t want to look easy~ *bring*


 

~Booooring…..! Ok, I got it. He should be wearing a leopard shirt, burgundy ripped jeans, and a leather jacket! Oh, and I already texted him what you’re wearing too so he can identify you! AND by the way, his name is Kim Sunggyu. He’s a pretty established musician! If you talk about music, I’m sure you guys will hit it off! Good luck, BYE!  ~ *bring bring*

 

I scoffed at Daehyun’s message and began scanning the cafe once again. Yep, didn’t see any guy dressed in a leather jacket and a leopard shirt, nope, not yet. Life works in mysterious ways in times when you least expect it because the moment my eyes looked up from the game I was playing on my phone, a guy with a leather jacket and leopard shirt walked in and walked right past where I was sitting at the waiting area. I stood up and called after him. , it was bad enough that I already seem desperate being the early one. “Kim Sunggyu-shi? Kim Sunggyu-shi!” Gosh this guy is deaf! He’s not stopping!

 

“Yes?”  came a voice behind me.

 

I turned around and met with a ...a...Andy Warhol?

 

“You called for me? You must be Lee Sungyeol, am I right? Hi, I’m Kim Sunggyu.” He threw me a smirk.

 

The sight of him threw me off a little bit. It wasn’t a leopard shirt, it was a leopard print shirt. Stupid Daehyun. Maybe I’m not getting it right but was it me or has fashion become really weird lately. I don’t know, maybe I’ve been cooped up at the office for too long to understand. But oh, oh, his hair...it’s, it’s red. Not ginger, but firecracker red…! I know I’m outside the office right now, but oh, I would get kicked out if I wore those boots, and, and the earrings…!

 

The closer he got, the more visible his features became. At first I wasn’t sure if he was squinting or not. He stopped before me eyeing me up and down with an unreadable expression.

    

    “Are you...Lee Sungyeol by ‘ni chance?” His voice squeaked in a hamster-like tone. I smiled politely at him. He wasn’t bad looking, but there was just something about him that made me nervous. Maybe it’s the red jeans. Musicians have stylists right? Who is this coordi-noona.

 

    “Umm, yes! Thats me. Um...Kim Sunggyu?” I said pulling out a hand to him. His eyes narrowed even more still studying me. I felt a little heated under his gaze; No, not that kind of heat, more like being under at 9000 watt spotlight in front of a circus audience staring at me like the freak of the show; Yes, that kind of heat.

 

    “You're...quite.Tall.” He said shortly; his eyes still staring at me intimidatingly. I don’t know what’s up with this man. I’m here on a date, not an interrogation.

 

    “Oh umm...thanks?” I replied politely.

 

    “That wasn’t a compliment. It’s a fact.” Sunggyu retorted nonchalantly. The man walked coolly in a bit of a hunch ahead of me. I had no choice but to follow and be a little stuck on his tone when he said that to me. But then I looked at his slightly heeled boots and maybe understood him a little.

 

    “Well you’re not exactly my type either…” I mentally thought to myself. “It’s ok Sungyeol, it’s first date, JUST the START of a first date, it’ll get better, maybe...Sunggyu is just blunt, blunt is good...blunt is honest...heck can be pretty blunt sometimes too…”  I repeated the thoughts inside my head.

 

    The hostess led us to our reserved table. Surprisingly, Sunggyu pulled out the chair for me. We took our seats quietly while the hostess went to make arrangements with the waiter in charge, and left us alone.

 

    “Sorry I was a tad bit late. I had some last minute arrangements with my Company,” Sunggyu apologized in a not so apologetic manner. It was more like he was telling me instead of really being sorry.

 

    “It’s ok, I wasn’t that early either.” I said trying hard to not make him feel too bad.

 

    “Oh, good, good, I’m usually on time, but things at work started getting busy. OH! Did Daehyun tell you? I’m a musician,” he said proudly. “My company is really out there and I’ve been super busy working on my Solo,” he stuffed a piece of candy in his mouth and continued to talk while chewing. “The say I don’t need to work THAT hard, but hey, I’m a perfectionist, so I can’t stop until I’ve reached the top right? Even if the competition isn’t that much of a competition Aahaha! You get me?! Hahahahhahah.”

 

    “Oh haha yes, thats great.” I said politely. I guess being talkative is good, I really wouldn’t know what to say myself.

 

    The waitress came to our table giving us a friendly smile before taking our orders. I stared up and down the menu. The food here wasn’t cheap, but it wasn’t overly priced either; at least not for what it’s worth. I stared at the choices in front of me.

 

    “Shall I start you guys with any drinks and appetizers?” The waitress asks.

 

    “Yes, I’ll have a Honey and Red Ginseng Tea.” Sunggyu ordered.

 

    “I’m sorry sir, we don’t serve Red Ginseng here.”

 

    “No Red Ginseng? Then do you even have regular Ginseng? My throat has been rather dry lately. Do you know how important it is that I get my Honey Ginseng tea?” He demanded.

 

    “I’m sorry sir, I’ll see what we can do.” The waitress bowed.

 

    “Ok, good good.” Sunggyu nodded. The waitress then turned to me.

    

    Red Ginseng? What is this guy? Is he trying to score tonight or is he just old?” I questioned in my head. My thoughts were interrupted when the waitress turned her head to me.

    “I’ll have an Ice Americano please.” I said. Sunggyu eyed me judgmentally. The waitress; whose name was Clara (as written on her name tag) wrote down our orders diligently. She waited patiently for us to review the menu.

 

“I’ll give you guys some time” The waitress said curtly giving a warm smile, “ I’ll be back with the drinks.”

 

    “No, it’s alright we’ll order!” Sunggyu commanded. “I’ll have the filet mignon, medium rare, with side of bake potatoes, seasoned rice, and side of  soup. And for appetizers...Can we have to House Platter Special?” He finished then stared at me, and gestured a hand for me to make my order. I barely had time to think,

 

    “Umm, I’ll have the...Grilled Salmon, rice, and vegetables, with the side of soup.” I said quickly.

 

    The waitress smiled at us and took her leave. I smiled politely at her, but when I turned my head back towards Sunggyu in mid-smile, Sunggyu was eyeing me weirdly.

 

    “Are you on a diet per chance?” Sunggyu randomly asked. I blinked a few times at his statement.

 

    “N...no...why would you think that? I questioned.

 

    “You’re kind of on the skinny side, so it makes me wonder. Plus you picked the fish item. Anyone who knows this cafe knows their steaks are to die for.” Sunggyu reasoned.

 

    “Fish can come in steaks too,” I blurted and mentally placed my hand over my mouth. Did that come out too snarky? Hope it didn’t. But if it did, oh well.

 

    “Very well, Eheh...I hope you like the food here! It’s especially recommended by my manager.” Sunggyu changed the subject.“ I love to try different types of food on my spare time away from singing, except I can’t go away from music for long, it’s my soul passion after all.”

 

    “Ah, I see Sunggyu-shi, so what kind of genre do you sing?” I said hoping I wasn’t rude about it, since I’ve never listen to his music before even though I knew of him as an artist before our meeting.

 

    “Ah, you don’t know?” Sunggyu asks with a hint of disappointment in his voice,“ Daehyun didn’t tell you? I’m part of a rock band, I’m the vocalist, but right now our band is having break, so I’m working on a solo. It has more of a mellow alternative feel to it. What do you do Sungyeol-shi?”

 

    “Oh I’m um...my work isn’t as interesting at all hehe, I mean I’m a salaryman, but it’s really not so bad, the job is stable, even though the hours aren’t that flexible, but I’m used to it.” I began, but I was abruptly interrupted.

 

    “Boring indeed, ah I mean your job Ahaha, not you.” Sunggyu stated flatly. “I guess we’ll move on to hobbies, my hobby is obviously music! What is your hobby Sungyeol-shi?”

 

    “Um...I’d like to travel.” I reply softly and sincerely. “And on occasion I do crafts, study languages, and I appreciate interior designing.”

 

    “Travel? Well, in my line of work we get to travel so much that I’d even get sick of it, let me tell you. We basically live in hotels in different regions and countries.” Sunggyu complaining a bit, but really he sounded as if he was really bragging. “ So, you said you also do crafts, what kind of crafts do you do?”

 

    I mentally cursed myself for mentioning my personal hobbies, and why couldn’t he choose to ask about my interests in languages or interior design, why did he have to pinpoint the “crafts” part. I felt myself blushing a bit, I really didn’t tell him what kind of crafts I did, It was a dumb move to say I did crafts on my part, but really I didn’t want him to think I was a total bore, but I guess it sort of backfired on me, he’ll probably think I’m the lamest person ever. I can picture him laughing at my face any moment now when I tell him.

 

    “...Um...I do origami...and I sew. It’s kind of a stress relief thing...it’s quite therapeutic.” I replied as-matter-of-factly. His stare set me back and I looked away trying to hide my embarrassment. By the look of it,  I guess “origami” wasn’t a real hobby to him.

 

    “Uh huh, I’m sure it is.”  Sunggyu nods skeptically, “...Clearly...things I don’t need in a potential spouse…well...At least he can sew my buttons back on when in need of...” Sunggyu mumbles under his breath not meaning for anyone else to hear it. Too bad. I heard it.

 

    “E..Excuse me?” I hope I heard wrong, but clearly this man’s rudeness grew exponentially by the minute. The more I thought about it, the more furious I felt.

 

    “Ah, I mean...Origami is nice and all with the different paper patterns...I guess, but I really don’t understand what's the point in making so many perishable paper shapes, and to be honest isn’t that for children? Hahah honestly I haven’t done origami since I was in primary school…” He seem to forgot to control his mouth, and my I guess my expression seemed to have changed on the grimmer side. He caught sight of my face and stopped before placing a hand over the back of this head, “ I guess it’s ok to do ‘Origami” to pass time, it’s a little childish, but I guess it means that you have a youthful’ personality. Ahahhahahaha, Sewing is a plus too. My mother always say a good spouse should be versatile in the Arts of Culinary and Textile. Ah…She’s such a good cook. Do you cook too, by any chance? My mother always say that I should find a good spouse that is well rounded, afterall I’m a busy man. I’ll be nice to get three meals a day, everyday at home.”

 

I could feel my blood pressure rising, eyes a bit bloodshot. I swallowed hard before replying to him. I had just about enough of this absurd man.  

 

“No, I don’t cook.” I replied flatly this time. He clearly was making fun of my hobbies earlier, and how he even dares to make demands on what kind of spouse he’d want. “What was he expecting with those ridiculous qualifications? Even if I could cook I wouldn’t want to cook for such a jerk.”

 

“That’s too bad.” Sunggyu said flatly his eyes looking blank now. I could feel he was disappointed. I’m glad.

 

Our server came out with the drinks, and appetizers. After the waitress placed the plate down, I took a sip of my coffee, hoping it could wake me up from this nightmare of a date. I couldn’t have been more humiliated, and insulted in my life. My appetite was already dropping. Sunggyu began motioning me to dig in. Well at least he was generous with food. The food was good, it was actually a really nice cafe with nice atmosphere; if only the company was good as well then the evening would’ve been set.

 

Eventually the main dishes came. I figured screw it, might as well eat to my heart’s content, then at least tomorrow I won’t regret it; at least then I can live knowing I ate well at the moment.

    

    I pretty much ate in silence while his voice filled the atmosphere in our table’s booth. I was so done with this man. He rambled on and on about random things, every now and then I’d give a response of a few word response to show him that I’m listening,“ ‘Uh huh, I see, Ok’, ‘Ok uh huh’, and ‘I see, that’s good’”. I didn’t want to be rude, and zone out on him, but really I had nothing to say after a while of listening to him so much. Even though he’s a really rude jerk, I still don’t want to be like him, and leave a terrible impression. I might not be the best date, or the most interesting date ever, but I, at least want to keep some courtesy.

 

    My eyelids soon  began to droop; the main meal had been over a while ago. All I could see was the blurred image of his front teeth as he talked and the two slits that occasionally widened up and down as he talked. *bring bring*  I jolted up, thinking it was my phone, hoping it was Daehyun so I could complain how he set me up with a ty date, but before I had a chance to pull it out of my pocket…

 

    “Yes, umma? Yes, I’m doing well umma. No you don’t have to send me the side dishes umma. Yes, I’m taking care of myself well, umma. Umma~” The voice at the other end of the line became louder. “Yeh~” He shut up! Yes! Thank you, savior on the other end of the phone!

 

    “Well Sungyeol-shi, it was a pleasure meeting you. I hope we’d get a chance to see each other again. Maybe next time when I have my solo concert you can come see me. I’ll be sure to send you the vip tickets.” Sunggyu offered.

 

    “Thanks, I’ll see you too.” I replied.

 

    I was more than thankful that the evening ended, and finally we parted ways. He offered to drive me back, but I had to decline. I don’t think I can stand being alone with him any longer and definitely not inside the small cramped space of a car.  

 

    I made a mental note to strangle Daehyun later when I see him.

 

Sunggyu gave me the brightest goodbye smile and waved in a friendly manner. I guess because we were outside now, and he was clearly doing some fanservice because I saw some girls pulling out their cellphones, whispering to each other and taking pictures of him. I waved him goodbye before heading towards the bus station.

 

One thing that is nice about Sunggyu was he wasn’t a cheapskate like the men I feared. As much of a jerk as he was, he at least offered to pay for the date, and didn’t let me even pull out my wallet.  

 

I sighed with my heart feeling a little bit heavy. The events of the evening sank into my mind. I guess Lee Sungyeol is once again heading to Forever Alone-ville with a one way ticket. My bus came and I was almost the second to last passenger before I realized I had forgotten my bus pass and didn’t have any spare change on me. I mentally wanted to cry for having the worse luck.

    

    I tried giving the driver a sad puppy dog look, but he wasn’t buying it. Before I could turn back, a hand reached out from the side behind me. I couldn’t see who it was until after he swiped his bus card for me before swiping it again for himself. Really? Just for me? What a nice stranger person. I was so grateful since it was already 10 pm and this was the last bus home. I turned to thank him. I couldn’t see his face clearly because he was wearing a black hat and a black hoodie, but I did catch a glance of his side profile and he was gor-ge-ous. At least, from what I could see of him. He had a really high nose and a pretty face shape, and bright eyes too. I sighed again, thinking of the possible chances of me getting a date with someone like this. I mean, I can’t just go up to him and ask him out; that would be too dangerous on both parts. I didn’t want to seem shady and who knows what kind of a person he is? (even though it was nice of him to help me out). I never seem to meet any available perfect people.

    

    “Thank you so much.” I said desperately, I was just grateful for his kindness.

 

    “Mmhm.” He said murmured, taking a seat far behind the bus. I didn’t want to intrude so I remained at the front. The stranger looked familiar. I think I’ve seen him before because he just looks so familiar; but then again, there are so many people I see everyday on the bus and on the train. I kept my head forward, I didn’t want to be caught staring. My heart ached a little thinking about our short encounter, and how soon after we'll part different ways, and I'll never see that kind handsome stranger again.

 

The route heading towards Forever Alone-ville became clearer than ever.