Date number 2

The problem with online dating

Wow, so not proofread


 

‘So, wine… let’s see here.’

Donghae was twisting slightly on his chair while looking at the man who was half hidden behind a big wine menu. His date for the night was a successful lawyer who’d had Sungmin’s in a twist with the pictures of his cute dog and long list of good qualities. He was the mother in law dream man, respectable, rich, good looking and liked kids. Donghae had high hopes as the man showed up at his doorstep to drive them both to a small art exhibition before they went on for dinner. However he had soon realized that the man had several faults hidden behind his amazing profile. The biggest ones being his enormous ego and complete disregard to what Donghae was saying half of the time.

‘Um, actually I’m not a big fan of wine.’ Donghae started to say.  ‘I never drink because...’

‘Nonsense!’ Came from behind the menu.

Donghae was interrupted, not for the first time that evening by what he was now referring to as “complete ” of a man sitting in front of him.

‘When one dines one has to drink wine.’ The man lowered his menu to lecture him before turning to their waiter.

‘A bottle of your finest red wine if you’d be so kind.’ He said while handing the menu to the man.

On the list of things making Donghae’s evening hell, the man who was now casting him a slightly disturbed glance before walking off to fetch the wine was one of them. The waiter was the same man who had witnessed his first failed attempt at dating a month ago and it didn’t look like this day would fare any better. Donghae was starting to think someone had it out for him.   

When his date had suggested the restaurant Donghae agreed straight away thinking it was a good choice. He remembered the food tasting great and the cosy atmosphere should make for a relaxed enough setting for his second date that Sungmin had eventually manage to convince him to go on. Honestly he should have known better.

As they had been seated by a young pretty girl, who Donghae was sure ‘the complete ’ had been checking out, Donghae had been praying no one would recognize him. For a moment when their waiter was introducing himself, Donghae thought he was in the clear. But from the small smile sent his way and a clear nod, he knew the other red haired waiter remembered him perfectly. Donghae spent a minute repeating every curse he knew in his head.

He was listening to the man telling him about another one of the cases he had won. So far they had covered three, two in the car to and from the exhibition and one while walking into the restaurant. This one was apparently the one that had made the complete a partner at his firm. Even if he didn’t like the guy, Donghae did have to agree that he probably made for a really good lawyer. He certainly didn’t leave any room for anyone else’s opinions or thoughts and spoke animatedly about his own. No wonder he won a lot of cases.

Hyukjae arrived with their wine in the middle of the story and Donghae huffed a discrete sigh of relief at the same time as the man glared at the waiter for interrupting his story. Once he had given the redhead an approving nod the waiter opened the bottled and poured a mouthful into a glass.

Donghae had never been interested in wine, especially not since the one time he had gotten drunk off it and thrown up all over his couch. He’d sworn never to let that happen again. However the slow swirling motion the man was making with his glass was nothing new, neither was the smelling so Donghae lent back in his chair and waited for the display to be over.  Maybe if he skipped dessert he could be home within an hour and a half.

 ‘This wine had excellent legs!’

If Donghae had been drinking it would have all ended up in his nose. As it was he instead nearly laughed out loud until he realized that the man in front of him was very much serious and he quickly rearranged his features into something appropriate for the intense wine tasting going on in front of him.  Honestly he didn’t understand the fascination. He snuck a quick glance at their waiter and from the looks of it Donghae could clearly tell that this wasn’t the first time he had been in the same situation. When Hyukjae caught him looking he made a small silly face which had Donghae diving for cover behind his menu so that his date wouldn’t see him giggling.

For the next few minutes his date was sniffing, swirling, and gazing intently at his wine.  Eventually, long after Donghae had grown bored of the display, he took a small sip letting it rest in his mouth for a while before swallowing and smacking his lips in a very unattractive motion.

 ‘The bouquet is full, with a hint of grass and…’ He paused dramatically while taking another sip ‘…Do I dare say liquorice?’ He looked expectantly at the waiter.

“You are correct sir” Hyukjae told him while gesturing to his glass. “Shall I pour you a glass?”

Donghae watched as Hyukjae smiled politely while filling up their glasses, telling the man that he had an excellent palette. He was glad to notice the small smile sent his way and the fact that waiter only poured a small amount of wine in his glass. At least someone respected his wishes.

 

***

 

During the evening as Hyukjae served his customers he made sure to keep an extra eye out to the table where the brown haired male was situated. The glass of red wine still sat pretty much untouched before him and instead Hyukjae had refilled his glass of water three times. It had irked him to have to smile politely at the suit clad man while he was pretending that he knew wine. It wasn’t the first time Hyukjae had seen such display and neither would it be the last. He only agreed with their guesses even when they were blatantly wrong and imagined he was somewhere else. The couple was now done with the main course and Hyukjae doubted they would stay for dessert. The faces that the brown haired male was making at his phone while his date was in the bathroom were nothing short of miserable but even with the dejected set of his shoulders he still managed to look sort of beautiful. As Hyukjae looked on the other man returned to the table where he was met with a forced smile and a slight shake off head that Hyukjae assumed was the brown haired male passing on dessert. He really hoped the man would be able to find someone that was worth dating soon. Twenty minutes later the couple had paid for their food and were leaving and Hyukjae went on with his evening.

 

***

 

The drive home was silent apart from the radio playing classical music at a low volume. Donghae spent the time with looking out the window, trying to decide what movie to watch when he got home. Before he knew it the car pulled up to the curb outside his apartment complex and his date turned off the engine leaving them both in silence. Turning to the man, Donghae was about to thank him for the evening and leave but he only made it as far as unbuckling his seat belt before his date leant in to grab his arm and kept him in place.

“I had a lovely evening Donghae.”

The brunette could only nod and hum in agreement recoiling slightly from their proximity.

“Donghae.” The man hesitated before continuing. “To be perfectly honest, I am looking for a certain… standard in a potential partner.”

He could feel his brows raising in disbelief as he took in what the other was saying.

 “And while you are undoubtedly gorgeous…” The man continued, gesturing towards Donghae’s body with hungry eyes “I need someone a bit more… in my class.”

“What?”

“I mean don’t take this the wrong way Donghae. But I need someone on the same intellectual level, I go to a lot of company dinners, and I have a reputation to think off”

Donghae was at a loss for words.

“But hey, we can still have some fun right! Just because we aren’t suitable to be a couple doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy each other’s… company.” He said, letting his hand wander from Donghae’s arm, up over his shoulder and neck in a deliberately slow movement.

Two minutes later Donghae was watching the taillights of the car disappearing around a corner while his palm stung from the slap he had given the man.

He definitely would not be seeing that man again.