Prologue - Leaving the past behind

CABI - every summer has a story

It was early in the morning and a chilly breeze blew across the silent beach. In a few hours it would be crowded with people in swimmingsuits and sunscreen trying hard to find a place between sun loungers and parasols which would be scattered all over the place.

However, right now there was only one lonely figure jogging along the shoreline. Her bare feet dug into the yet untouched sand and her legs were already heavy from the numerous miles she passed.

It was her daily routine, both training and rest. She loved the sound of the sea and the peacefulness of the beach when no people were around. Here she could focus on herself, something she barely had time for in her everyday stress. Well, this would be the last time for her to focus for quite a time.

She glanced at her watch, took a deep breath and left the beach. She stopped when she reached the street and looked back one more time, a smile on her face. “Finally.”, she thought before she started her way back into the city. One last time.

~ ~ ~

„ I'm home!“

She called when she entered. Loaded with heavy shopping bags which she got on the way home she balanced her way through the front door and slammed it shut with her feet. She moaned when one of the apples escaped the bag and rolled just behind the dresser, a second one almost following, but stopped by her foot. Her arms already ached because of the weight. „Could someone please-“, she attempted to ask for help when her eye caught the watch. She widened her eyes, realizing that she stayed too long at the supermarket. She would be late. Her first day in academy and she would be late!

„YAH! Umma! I need to go!“, she shouted over her back before a familiar figure came down the stairs.

„Oh sweetheart.“, her mom greeted her with an exhausted smile, just when she saw the shopping bags. Yoona knew that her mother would've rather gone herself, but she worked till late in the evening and was still asleep when she went for a run. In their situation, everyone had to do their part. And go shopping with her last salary was the last favor she could do for her before she would leave.

„I'm so sorry I had to bother you one more time.“ Her mother apologized and Yoona gave her a quick peck on the cheek, before smiling back.

„It's okay umma. I just bought the most necessary things for the next two weeks.” She grabbed her jacket from the dresser. “It's a 20 minute hike to the café I'll be working in. Saturday and Sunday are free so I'll try working twice a week. I'll send you the money over.” She bent down and crawled under the dresser to catch the fled apple. Her mom looked at her with a worried expression.

“Yoona, you know you don't have to do this. I think Cho Hee and I will be able to cope without you for a while.”

“I know.”, Yoona answered simply. “But I want to.”

“And I don't want you to overwork yourself. You should focus on your training instead of working in your freetime.”

“Don't worry, I can handle it. It's the least I can do after all you did for us, umma.” She gave her mother a warmly smile, just when Cho Hee came running down the stairs and threw herself at Yoona.

“Unnie! I have something for you.”, she grinned with excitement when she handed her a carefully wrapped object. “Hey, don't open until you arrived!”, she demanded and Yoona instantly stopped searching for the opening. She pulled her little sister into a tight hug.

“Thank you Chee.” She felt the smaller one nuzzling into her chest.

“I will miss you unnie.”

“I will miss you too, Chee.”, Yoona smiled and left the embrace to get her bag when her glance caught the small frame on the dresser. It was the last family picture they had taken together. No one would've expected what happened afterwards.

“He would've been proud of you.” Yoona broke away from the picture to face her mother and wiped away a single tear. “I know.”, she tried a fake smile and grabbed the wrapped thing tighter. “I just wish he would be here right now.”

“He will always be here, Yoona.”, her mother said smoothly and hugged her too. “Go give your best.”

When Yoona let go of her and grabbed her bags she turned around in the door and smiled again. “Always.”

 

Splash Corner:

Alias the Author's note. Hey there! First chapter done, second to follow ;) I promise, the fun will start soon! I'm still getting used (rather not) to the layout here. It's somehow driving me insane >.> Tell me what you think ^^
~ KY