Stars and More

Stars and More

 

 

Stars and More

 

 

 

Laughter filled the air along with sounds from cans of fizzy cola and opened potato chip bags. It felt kind of cool to be out late on a school night; sneaking away from parents fast asleep. They only did this once a month anyway. A little rebellion wasn’t so bad, right? They would be back home before the sun rises. They had never been late or caught once.

 

“So, your sister still helps hide this from your parents?”

“Yeah. Your brother still helps hide this from yours?”

“Yup. But this time, Chanyeol said he wanted something in return because he was particularly tired today. ”

“What did he ask for?”

“A can of cola. So I gave him two, because I just think he deserves that much.”

“Yeah, he sure does. Here. Sour cream potato chips. Give them to him as a thank you from me.”

“Ok, I‘ll be sure to pass the message. Did Krystal not ask for anything?”

“Yeah.I think she was too busy enjoying herself watching a movie.”

“Oh. That’s good.”

“Yeah… So, did you miss me?”

“Yup. Always do. Did you miss me?”

“Yeah… sometimes when I’m in class, I end up thinking about you. Then the teacher would throw a piece of chalk at me for spacing out.”

“Awww. Did it hurt?”

“Not as much as missing you did.”

“… Sometimes when I read a love story, I think of you. You’d make a very handsome prince.”

“And you’d be a beautiful princess.”

“We’ll meet at a ball and fall in love.”

“… If I asked you to run away with me on my white horse, would you?”

“Of course. I don’t think I’ll need anything else, if I have you.”

“Me too. I feel like life would be incomplete if I ever stop seeing you.”

“We won’t stop. We’ll keep sneaking like this for as long as we can.”

“Then when we graduate from high school, we’ll go to the same university and finally be free to meet each other without our parents knowing.”

“… Do you think one day, they’ll let us love each other?”

“Maybe… let’s hope so. Because I want to marry you when I grow up.”

“… I want to marry you too.”

“When I wake up every morning, the first thing I’ll see is you. And I’ll smile because I know that you’ll be waiting for me at home.”

“I’ll cook for you and take care of you, and cuddle up with you every chance I get.”

“I’ll comb your long black hair, and help you choose what dress to wear whenever we go out.”

“I’ll help you undo your tie, and let you lie on my lap after a long day of work.”

“How many kids do you want?”

“I don’t know. Maybe three? It seems like a nice number for kids.”

“Hmm… ok. I’ll name the first child. You name the second. And we’ll name the third together.”

“I’d like that.”

 

“…Kyungsoo?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

“I love you too. Probably more.”

“Are you trying to start an argument here? We both know I love you in the highest degree possible.”

“Hahaha. Ok, ok. I love you. I just felt like saying it again.”

“I love you too. Again.”

 

 

 

 

It’s never been easy. Their families hated each other, and because of that love between them was forbidden.  It’s stupid at how Romeo-and-Juliet-ish their whole situation was. But they continued to hope that someday in the future, things would change. Once a month, they snuck out to see each other, because they weren’t allowed to be seen together during daylight.They couldn’t do it too often either, lest they arouse suspicion in the household. They had to pretend to hate each other, because everyone knew that their families were rivals.

But once a month, they flee.  Just your ordinary teen couple hiding in a tree house that was built specifically for their get-aways. They were very grateful to their siblings for understanding their love, and helping build the tree house. Thankfully, at least one person in their families was not hung up on who’s company was better than the other.

In their secret tree house, they could intertwine their fingers as they held each other through the night. Texting and chatting online was only so much to get by on. They wanted to see each other in the flesh; to feel each other with their fingertips. It’s their sixth month now. Thankfully, they have yet to be caught.

Nights like these they take the time to look into each other’s eyes. They laugh when they tell each other how many stars they can count inside the eyes they love so much. Constellations speaking of burning will and desire to always be next to the one they love. There are rainbows in there too—and the sun, the moon, and clouds of pastel grandeur.

 

“In your eyes, I see the skies” they both say at the same time, giggling at how in synch they were when it came to falling over and over again for the one person they knew they’ve forgotten life without.

 

They hold hands again that night. Shyly press chaste kisses to each other’s faces. They clean up after eating; placing all the cans of cola and snack wrappers into the trash bin. They set down the usual bed sheets on top of wooden floorboards. Get their pillows and a big blanket. Then they lay down to sleep, holding each other close. Praying that soon, they could be like this every day.

Holding the world they know.

The sky they love.

The stars and more.

 

 

fin

 

 

****************************************************************

 

Author's note:

Thanks for reading! Have a great day!