Chapter 1 - Anthurium

Save Me

In retrospect, Youngjae probably should have saved a bit more money for food this month.

At least he had his bills paid, which was enough to make him happy. Youngjae lived alone, in a small apartment, and he was fine with that. As it were, he didn’t have many friends. He had coworkers he would go out with every once in a while, but other than that he kept to himself.

Until Daehyun had shown up.

Youngjae wasn’t used to inviting people over, but Daehyun didn’t seem to mind that. He’d just invited himself over the first time, and since then he would just pop by, either after work or during a long break. In all honesty, he was one of the few friends that Youngjae had. He wasn’t a best friend, but he was much more than an acquaintance.

Youngjae was pulled from his empty staring into his empty refrigerator by a knock on the door and he turned, closing the fridge and walking over. He had barely got the door open when a flower in a pot was shoved into his hands and he blinked, Daehyun walking in behind it as Youngjae stared at what he was holding.

“Let me guess. This is a new flower that you just got in?” he asked, and Daehyun nodded as he plopped down on the couch.

“We just got it today,” he replied with a smile, Youngjae looking over the flower before setting it in the kitchen and walking over to join Daehyun. “It’s called Anthurium. It symbolizes hospitality, so I figured it would make sense considering you’ve been so welcoming to me.”

“You just kind of walk in. I’ve never been able to stop you.” Daehyun shot him a smile, reaching over and mussing Youngjae’s hair before he stood. As he started walking Youngjae sighed, leaning back against the couch and looking up at the ceiling. “If you’re looking for food, I don’t have any. I was just going to order a pizza or something.” Daehyun immediately stopped walking, looking at the fridge with pursed lips.

“Pizza it is, then,” he said, grabbing the phone and dialing the number. By this point he knew what Youngjae would want, and he ordered that on half. After he hung up he sat back down on the couch, turning to Youngjae and patting his shoulder. “I’ll even pay for it. I’ve been working a lot this week.”

Daehyun knew that Youngjae’s money was tight, but he didn’t want to pry too much. Instead he blocked Youngjae from giving the delivery man his money and Daehyun gave him his own. Sighing, Youngjae took a piece of pizza out and nibbled on it, turning on the television and curling one leg under him as he sat back down.

“Any other new things at your work?” Youngjae asked, and Daehyun shook his head.

“No. That’s the only new thing this week. But, I had a good week,” he almost sang, and Youngjae smiled, still eating his pizza as he watched the other man.

“Oh? What’s been so good about this week?” he asked, cocking his head and resting his arms on the back of the couch after he finished his slice of pizza. Daehyun looked off, grabbing a second piece of pizza and grinning.

“I might be seeing someone. Came into the store and bought some flowers, really nice,” he said, and Youngjae nudged his shoulder.

“Look at that, Daehyun got a girlfriend,” he teased, but Daehyun just turned to look at him with brows furrowed in confusion. Youngjae cocked his head. “… Not a girlfriend?” he asked, and Daehyun just shook his head.

“No. I’m seeing a guy,” he said, and Youngjae just stared at him before awkwardly closing his mouth and looking away. They both stayed silent for a moment, Youngjae staring at the television and Daehyun staring at Youngjae.

Clearly they weren’t that close.

Nodding to himself, Youngjae looked down and let himself play with the edge of his shirt. Daehyun just ate his pizza in silence.

“That’s fine, too,” Youngjae finally said, still nodding before looking to Daehyun with a little smile. Daehyun just grinned.

“Thanks,” he replied, both of them smiling at each other and holding another awkward silence before Daehyun looked back down.

“Well, you’re doing better than me. At least you aren’t wasting your day in a glorified bachelor pad,” Youngjae finally said as he reclined against the couch, one leg up on his coffee table as he ran his hand through his hair. Daehyun just laughed, shaking his head and rolling his eyes before taking Youngjae’s lead and resting both feet up on the coffee table as well.

They talked for a while, neither really minding that they were slowly finishing the pizza and the show they’d been watching was over. By the time Daehyun actually checked his watch it was later than he planned and he stood, brows furrowed.

“, I have to work tomorrow,” he said, sighing. Youngjae stood up as well, Daehyun making his way to the door. He was about to leave before Youngjae stopped him, hand on his wrist as he walked out.

“Wait. That flower. Tips on caring for it?” Youngjae asked, and Daehyun grinned.

“Keep it in indirect sunlight and don’t overwater it. Just keep an eye on it and it should be fine, okay?” With a wink Daehyun slipped down the hall, leaving Youngjae by himself for the rest of the night.

With Daehyun in a relationship, Youngjae assumed that he would be seeing less of him. He was right.

Youngjae had never noticed how much Daehyun actually came over until he wasn’t there anymore. All of the flowers that he brought over were still there, though, and they brought a bit more color to the otherwise small apartment.

It felt like ages had passed since the night Daehyun had come over, but Youngjae had almost forced himself to ignore it. When Youngjae finally heard a knock on the door he raised a brow, opening it and a bit surprised when Daehyun smiled back at him. He was usually over much earlier than this, but Youngjae was fine with it, standing aside so Daehyun could walk in.

“You’re not out with your guy? What’s his name?” he asked with a hint of a tease, and Daehyun just shook his head, offering Youngjae a little smile as he looked down. He glanced at his watch, Youngjae watching him quietly before Daehyun looked up.

“His name’s Jaehwa,” he replied, and Youngjae stayed silent as Daehyun slipped passed him into the apartment. This was one of the first times he had come in without a flower to give to him, but that just meant that there probably wasn’t anything new that had come in that week. Daehyun just sat down on the couch, Youngjae’s lips twitching down into a frown.

“Are you okay?” he asked, and Daehyun nodded with a happy smile, patting the couch next to him as Youngjae sat down.

“I’m fine. I’ve just been kind of busy, so I’m sorry I haven’t been coming over as much.” Youngjae nodded, grabbing the coffee he’d made and sipping it. Daehyun looked at it with a sigh, shaking his head as Youngjae set the cup down and started to stand.

“I’ll make you a cup if you want some,” he said, and Daehyun shook his head, still smiling happily.

“No, I’m fine,” Daehyun replied, Youngjae hesitantly sitting back down and picking the mug back up. Youngjae stared at him before narrowing his eyes, quirking a brow.

“Do you want something to eat?” he asked, eyes still narrowed as Daehyun replied by simply shaking his head. Youngjae immediately set the coffee down, turning to face Daehyun and pushing him slightly. “Now I know something’s wrong. You would never turn down food. Daehyun, you seem off. Are you sure you’re okay?” he asked again, and Daehyun let out an exhalation of a laugh and nodded.

“I’m fine, I promise,” he said, hand resting on Youngjae’s shoulder. He kept his eyes trained on Youngjae for a few moments, mouth open to speak before he closed it and just smiled instead. Absently he glanced at his watch again, frowning for only a moment before he grabbed the remote and the television. “What do you want to watch?”

Youngjae didn’t really answer, just made a gesture because he was to busy watching Daehyun. It almost looked like some of his movements were forced, and the fact that he kept looking at his watch was throwing him off. He’d turned down food and coffee, he hadn’t brought anything with him, and Youngjae was a little worried. The only thing he could think of was that Daehyun was feeling under the weather and had work in the morning, so Youngjae didn’t press the matter, instead hesitantly settling in his spot and keeping an eye on the other man.

They talked for a while, Daehyun finally relaxing a bit as he stretched out on the couch. It was like he lost track of time, because when he finally glanced at his watch again he immediately stood, cursing loudly and nearly running out the door. Youngjae jumped up as well, catching him before he left and stopping him for a moment.

“Hey, hold on a second,” he said, Daehyun turning around. “Are you sure you’re gonna be okay?” he asked, Daehyun nodding as he bit his lip.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. I just… have to be up for work in the morning. I’m sorry,” Daehyun replied, reaching out to muss Youngjae’s hair with a little smile. Youngjae nodded, a short but awkward pause making itself known as Youngjae fixed his hair.

“Just… Feel better, okay?” he said quietly, and Daehyun raised a brow but nodded.

“I will. I’ll be okay, I promise. And tomorrow or the next day I’ll stop by with some flowers. We’re supposed to get a new shipment in soon.” For the first time that night the both of them really smiled, Youngjae nodding.

“I’ll look forward to it. And this time I’ll actually have food,” he said with a happy grin, Daehyun laughing as well. He waved, Youngjae watching him walk off but still crossing his arms as he leaned against his doorframe.

Something was off but he wasn’t going to pry. He’d probably just caught one of the bugs that was going around. He’d be better when he saw him tomorrow.