Chapter Three

Purple Lavender
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
3 Flowers

 

After a month of observing Donghae, Hyukjae was sure of one thing: Donghae was still a complete mystery to him. And that mystery appealed to him like a flower would appeal to a bee. Hyukjae was close to having a huge crush on one of his best friends. A friend that disliked his other friends.

It surprised Hyukjae actually, that Donghae didn’t like Kyuhyun and Siwon. Sure, they were a bit rough on the outside but on the inside, Kyuhyun and Siwon wouldn’t hurt a fly… Well, unless the fly bothered them. But Donghae was so timid that there was no way for him to bother Kyuhyun and Siwon.

But Donghae just fled the scene whenever one of Hyukjae’s friends would be there and Hyukjae was getting a bit tired of it. He had to constantly choose where he wanted to sit with lunch. With Donghae or with Kyuhyun and Siwon. But there was no way of convincing Donghae to go where the other two were so he usually ended up eating only with Donghae. It wasn’t that he disliked that, it was more that he preferred it to be another way.

“Hyukjae, you’re deep down in thought again…” Donghae’s soft voice woke him up from his deep thoughts.

They were sitting in the park watching three dogs play to their hearts content. Hyukjae’s dog, Choco, and Donghae’s oldest dog, Bada, were running in front chasing a squirrel and Donghae’s youngest dog, Yuki, was running after the other two dogs. Her little paws couldn’t keep up with the slightly bigger dogs and the squirrel and she nearly tripped three times but that didn’t matter for her enthusiasm because she was still barking at the squirrel as loudly as she could.

“I’m sorry, Hae.” Hyukjae let his head fall back and stared up into the night sky. He couldn’t see the stars even though it was a cloudless night but that was to be expected in Seoul. The whole city was lighted up so much that there was no room for the stars that shined so little. Only the moon was hanging in the sky.

“It’s alright.” Donghae kept staring at the dogs with a small smile on his face. “I know how it feels.” Hyukjae felt movement and he looked up to see that Donghae had stood up from the bench.

“You do?” Hyukjae quickly jumped up from the bench and caught up with Donghae who was already walking towards the dogs.

“Yeah, I often look up at the moon and think of home. The moon is one of the things that is the same as home so most of the time, I feel better when I look at it.” Donghae was staring sentimentally at the moon and Hyukjae followed his gaze.

“It’s a beautiful moon, isn’t it? And combined with such a fine night. The cool and nice evening air, the scent of the grass and trees around you and with the people that you lo-, ehm, that are you friends.” Hyukjae felt his face becoming red but he prayed that the darkness of the night would hide his secret and he slowly looked at Donghae.

Donghae was looking at him but with such a painful gaze that Hyukjae felt horrible for saying that sentence even though he wasn’t quite sure what he had done wrong.

Donghae sighed and then whistled loudly. Bada immediately looked back and ran towards Donghae with his all his might.

“Choco!” Hyukjae tried to hide his embarrassment by calling extra loud for his dog and sure enough after he called trice for Choco, the dog came.

Meanwhile, Yuki was still running around like a headless chicken, barking at every moving thing in the whole park.

“Yuki, come here!” Donghae called but the little white fur full of craziness was too busy with running around so she didn’t listen.

“What should we do now?” Donghae turned to Hyukjae with a rather helpless expression. And Hyukjae, wanting to have a comeback from his previous humiliation got an idea: “I’ll catch Yuki for you.”

Donghae looked at Yuki for a bit before looking a bit skeptical at Hyukjae: “You will?”

“Yeah sure. I’m quite good at running.”

Donghae hesitated slightly: “Well, if you think you could catch her?”

“Sure,” Hyukjae gave Donghae Choco’s leash so that Donghae could put the other two dogs on the leash and he began to sprint to Yuki.

Donghae watched him run, it seemed more hilarious to him than useful, but it made Donghae smile. Eventually though, Hyukjae made a dive and his hands just barely caught Yuki in between. The little dog barked three times and then looked at Hyukjae as if he had completely offended him, and he probably had.

But Hyukjae could care less about the little dog. Hyukjae didn’t even care about his designer clothes that were now smudged with mud. He only cared about the owner of the little dog.

Hyukjae walked back to Donghae and with a huge sense of accomplishment, he gave Donghae Yuki back. Yuki was not the little white dog she once was, now she was a brown little dog who probably smelled as bad, if not, much worse than Hyukjae. But Donghae’s small smile never left his face not even when Hyukjae handed the filthy dog over to him.

Donghae gave Hyukjae another smile before he placed Yuki on the ground and put a leash on her. Immediately Yuki tried to run again, only this time she was stopped by the leash and her collar, which made her whine a little.

Donghae then gave Choco’s leash to Hyukjae and he began to stroll through the park. Hyukjae walked closely next to him and without exchanging a word, they walked.

Eventually,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter