Love at first bus stop ❤

The Boy at the Bus Stop (버스 정류장에서 소년)

"Eomma!" was the first thing Eun Ji shouted my lungs out when she woke up. 

"What is it?" Her mom shouted back. Her hands were busy making Kimchi pancake.  "Aigoo, Eun Ji's appa, look at your daughter. She's shouting early in the morning. When she gets married, her husband's ears will go deaf," she complained to her husband. Her husband continued squeenching his eyes to read the small texts on the newspaper.

He bickered, "Look who's saying. You're also shouting to my ears! Like mother, like daughter!". Eun Ji's mom murmured inaudible words as she mixed the flour in the bowl. Eun ji rushes down the stairs and quickly grabs the bread and throws it into the toaster. As she waited for the bread to come out from the toasts, she tied her hair and wore her socks while standing up. 

"What are you rushing for? It's only 7.30 am and your class starts at 9. Come here, I have made you Kimchi pancake," her mother put the batter into the frying pan.

"No, Eomma, I'm 15 mins late!" Once her toast was made, she stuffed it into , wore her shoes and ran out of the house. "Eomma, Appa, I'll get going."

"Ya! Kid! What about my pancakes?" her mom shouted but Eun ji didn't reply. Eun ji ran as she munched on her bread and doing her necktie at the same time. Her school started at 9am and her house to school was only a stone's throw away. She could have woke up at 8am and walked to school by 8.30. However, she chose to take the bus that goes on loop which takes an hour to reach her school. What's worse, the bus is always crowded with morning people. Eun ji tidied up herself as she reached the bus stop. She looked everywhere but there was no one in sight. Eun ji sighed in disappointment as she sat down. 'Babo' she mouthed those words to herself. A familiar frangrance swept across her. Her hearts began to do a little dance. She looked up and her face litted up. She knew who it was. 

A man in his school uniform walked past her and waited for the bus. He was the reason why Eun ji could painstakingly take the 1 hour bus without seating- so, she could take the same bus with him and start the day with him. He came from a boys school near the town area which is why he had a different uniform from her. 

That man, as usual, had his hair nicely done, standing tall while listening to his Ipod. His left leg stamped gently to the beat of the music he played and sometimes, his head will bob up and down gently. And his eyes, always wandered around. Eun ji smiled as she stares at the man standing diagonally to her. 

He was her first love. However, until now, she doesn't know his name. She always refer him to "That man"

The bus halted in front of us. As usual, the bus was fully packed. That man got into the bus and manages to fit into the rear of the bus but, Eun Ji was stuck near the entrance door. Eun ji watches him silently as he stares at out of the window. The bus halted abruptly at one of the bus stops and Eun ji accidentally stepped on a man's foot.

"Ya, kid! Where do you put your eyes at?" he was angry

"I'm very sorry," she bowed. The bus door opened and that man got off the bus after the 15th stop. Eun ji still have 10 stops away. Her eyes were glued to him as he walked further away from her sight. Eun ji smiled.

***

School has ended for the day. Everyone packed their bags and quickly joined their friends who were waiting outside the class. Hara approached Eun ji. Hara was her best friend since the start of high school. 

"Eun ji- ah. You kept staring at space and smile to yourself all day long. What's wrong with you?" she helped Eun ji packed her books. "Could it be... you're thinking about that man?"  Eun ji kept quiet. Hara looked at her in disbelief. "Ya! You don't even know his name and he does't even know you at all! How can he be your first love?"

"Who says you need to know his name to fall in love?" Eunji defended herself. They walked out of the classroom and continued to talk as they walk towards their 'drama club' room. 

"You are really crazy, Eunji!" Eunji ignores her as she enters the room. "What if he's actually a ert?"

They put their bags aside and join the other members of the drama club. Their teacher, Mr. Park gathered them together and gave out flyers to everyone. It says: Our country's 66th birthday, Our Love. A 30 mins theatre performance about a Korean village woman who falls in love with a Japanese soldier despite the war that separates them two. Auditions for male and female lead is on 19 October 2014 at the school hall. Everyone is welcome to join! 

All the 'WAHs and WOOH's echoed in the room as they read the poster. 

"Everyone, our school gets selected to do a performance for this such commemorable event. Everyone that leaves in the town will watch your theatre performance. There are also other minor roles for this performance. So, do practice your lines! I wish the best for you guys. " He then gave out the scripts for the performance.

Eun ji was determined to get the female role as soon as she got her hands on the script. She was persistent in being the lead for the first time. Eun ji was born into a family of performers. Both her parents were theatre actors and her grandparents were producers and scriptwriters. Although, she was born into a family with art backgrounds. She was nothing like her family. For 4 years she was in drama club, never she had a lead role. All she gets are minor roles like - being the waitress, act as a clown and the worst of the worst - as a beggar.

Now, she was determined to be like her parents. Also, if this is a public performance... it means that... Eun ji can see that man. He might come to her performance. However, there was something standing her way.

"Ya, Minjung- ah, you can defintely be the female lead! You don't even have to audition at all," one of her friends sung praises to her. Minjung was a good actor and had been landing in a lot of lead roles like Romeo and Juliet and Ghost. Well, she was pretty and tall. She was the 'Yoona' in our school and the epitome of beauty and rich. Hara nudged me, "Look at them!" she whispered. "They're all kissing her . But actually, they're stabbing her from the back."

Eunji just smiled.

***

 

Finally, the day was over. It was already past 7 when drama ends. 

"Eunji- ah, I have to go first. My mom cooked my favourite food. I can't simple miss it!" Hara waved her goodbye. Eunji is now left alone in the school. She usually goes back home with Hara but since she needs to go first...

Eunji sighs.

"Why are you sighing, my fair lady?" a voice emerged from the back. Eun ji knew who it was. No one can recite horrible and poets and speaks as cheesy as...

"Prince Changmin has been waiting half of his life, only to hear my princess sighing? What's -" 

"CUT THE CRAP, CHANGMIN!" she interrupted him. Changmin doesn't look pleased.

"You have hurt my heart like a broken egg," Changmin added. 

"Changmin, your poems have definitely put Shakespeare to shame." Eun ji said sarcastically but Changmin took it as a compliment. Changmin was about to recite another verse when Eun ji gave him a sharp glare. He stopped immediately. 

Changmin silently accompanied her back to her house. Changmin was Eun ji's classmate before they changed class 2 years ago and as they are living opposite each other, they were now neighbours. 

"Changmin, you know that walking me back home everyday won't make me fall in love with you right?" Eun ji restate. Changmin nodded. 

"I know. You told me this everyday,"

"Then why are you walking me home everyday?"

"Who knows you might... "

Eun ji walked faster to avoid him. 

"EUN JI AH, WE'RE INSEPARABLE LIKE THE NOODLES TO MY SOUP!" Changmin shouted out loud, making Eunji flushed with embarrassment. A flying shoe swept to his face, hitting accurately his nose. Eun ji laughed as she ran without a shoe. Changmin wiped a liquid feeling running down his nose. Blood?

"YA JUNG EUN JI! YOU'RE DEAD!" Changmin took the shoe and began chasing her without mercy.