Alone Again

When Worlds Collide

"Oishi." Fuji called to the fukubuchou who was staring at the court, he was still unsure how he could keep the promise he made to Kunimitsu; he wasn't sure how he could lead the team.

"Fuji?"

"Has Tezuka e-mailed you yet?" Fuji's smile not fading

"Hai. He has been communicating since he left." Oishi assured Fuji.

"Has he mentioned…" turning to see if anyone among the regulars were eves dropping on their conversation. "You-know-who?" Fuji continued after he was sure no one was paying attention to their discussion.

Oishi turned his head towards Fuji. "Sadly he hasn't."

"Oh." Fuji was clearly disappointed. How could he not be thinking of her? He was devastated about leaving her before he left.

"Fuji." Oishi disturbing Fuji's thoughts.

"Hai?"

"How do we keep the other promise?" Oishi had a very worried look on his face.

Fuji smiled, "I really don't know Oishi."

"Oishi-senpai, you better come." Katsuo called his fukubuchou in a very worried tone.

"What's wrong Katsuo?" Oishi now turning his full attention to the freshman.

"It's Momo-senpai and Kaidoh-senpai, their having a very bad argument, not even Inui-senpai could stop them." The freshman explained catching his breathe.

"Oi Momoshiro! Kaidoh!" Oishi shouted as he ran towards the court where the two second year where having their usual but more intense competition.

Fuji chuckled at Oishi running towards the two. Tezuka, it's okay. You left the team in good hands. But why haven't you even mentioned anything about her? I thought you said you love her? Hmmm…what's wrong Tezuka?

"Fuji-senpai?" Sakuno called to her senpai who was deep in thought. "Fuji-senpai?" she called once again snapping Fuji out of his thought.

"H-Hai? Sakuno-kun, you have something in mind?" Fuji finally turning to the freshman who was looking on at the regulars practicing in the court…rather, at the regulars who were still trying to get Momo and Kaidoh off each other's neck.

Sakuno blushed a little before finally responding, "I-It looks as if you were the one with deep thoughts Fuji-senpai, is something wrong senpai?"

Fuji chuckled and patted the female freshman on the head, "I'm quite okay Sakuno-kun, nothing that you should worry about." Fuji re-assured Sakuno.

"O-Okay Fuji-senpai."

Fuji then walked towards the locker room still trying to figure out how he could keep his promise to Kunimitsu.

"Tomo-chan." Sakuno looking at Fuji as he walks towards the locker room.

"What is it Sakuno?" Tomoka turning towards Sakuno.

"Do you think Fuji-senpai is sad about Tezuka-senpai leaving for Germany?"

"Of course he is Sakuno! They've been together in the tennis club since their first year…although I don't really know if they are friends since I don't really see them hang out…" And Tomoka started enumerating her thought as Sakuno continued to stare at Fuji who was now entering the clubroom.

-oOo-

Amani stared out the window as their Literature instructor went on about something that Shakespeare wrote, her thoughts however were flying towards Munich, Germany and to a certain man that she hasn't seen for a week since he left for rehabilitation of his shoulder.

"Miss Pei, could you explain to the class what Shakespeare was trying to say in this verse?" her instructor called on her waiting patiently for a response.

"Ami." Cathleah whispered, "Ami, the teacher is calling you."

"Miss Pei are you with us?" her instructor still trying to get her attention, sadly Amani kept staring at the window.

"Ami, you're going to get into so much trouble." Cathleah now poking on Amani's side

"Miss Pei!" her instructor finally shouted across the room finally catching Amani's attention.

"H-Huh?" Amani finally snapping out of her daze.

"Can you stop day dreaming and explain to the class what Shakespeare was trying to convey in these lines?" the instructor pointing on the verse written on the chalk board.

"O-Oh…"

Of course Amani being the genius that she is was able to explain the verse, but this didn't excuse her from a reprimand from her instructor.

"Excellent Miss Pei, however, you've been day dreaming in most of your classes lately. I want to talk to you after class."

"Yes Miss." Amani sadly replied.

-oOo-

"Fuji-senpai has been very quiet lately." Ryoma uttered to no one in particular.

"You know, come to think of it, he has hasn't he?" Momoshiro agreed.

"Fssshh…he's just been thinking a lot, no need to worry." Kaidoh butted in.

"Hmmm…Fuji hasn't played tricks on anyone since Tezuka left…Oi! Oishi, do you know what's wrong with Fuji?" Eiji added on to the regular's discussion.

"There is 93.7% chance that Fuji is having a problem not related to the Tennis Club, there is 99% chance that his problems are not related to anything in school…" Inui added but before he could finish Oishi butted in.

"His problems are none of your concern; go to the courts…or run laps later." Oishi said with a firm voice without turning his head from his locker.

"Nani?" Everyone said in unison.

"You heard what I said." Oishi replied.

"Nya!" The regulars all shouted before heading out the door

Fuji chuckled as he entered the club room, "What did you say to them Oishi?"

"Nothing." Oishi answered dropping his bag on the floor before finally heading out, "Fuji…what are we going to do?"

Fuji's eyes shot open. "About what?" Fuji tried to make his voice as innocent as possible but he knew that Oishi would sense that he knew what he was asking.

"Tezuka…and Ami-senpai." Oishi's shoulder's dropped.

"I-…I really don't know Oishi." Fuji slowly sat on the bench and started to change his clothes.

"He has not mentioned her, and we have no access to her…and I really don't know if I could run the club without Tezuka." Oishi rested his back on the wall close to the club room door.

"Hmn…we'll figure something out Oishi…for now let's worry about tennis." Fuji gave Oishi a smile of assurance before shutting his locker door.

-oOo-

"Ami are you going home now?" Cathleah asked her friend as she saw her getting some books from her locker.

"No. I need to see Ms. Brights about my day dreaming in Literature class this morning." Ami sadly explained.

"I'll wait for you then." Cathleah happily said.

"You don't have to Leah, after all I was the one who was day dreaming in class." Amani sadly tried to make her friend go on ahead.

"You miss him, don't you?" Cathleah asked Amani without looking at her.

"Who?" Amani asked

"You know who." Cathleah lifting her back from the lockers and walking towards the Literature room. "It's hard when the person who is special to you is away isn't it? To make things worse you don't even get to communicate."

"It's hard when the person you love is far from you, and you have no means of connecting." Amani corrected before entering the room where their teacher was waiting for her.

Cathleah stood outside and stared at the door, Did she say 'love'?

-oOo-

Fuji's cell phone received a message but he didn't notice it since he was too busy writing the answers to his homework on his notebook. When he finally noticed his cell phone, he immediately flipped it open.

Message from: Oishi Shuichiro

Fuji, Tezuka e-mailed, he has a message for Ami-senpai. We need to go to their house tonight. Meet me there in ten minutes.

So he does love her. Fuji smiled before grabbing his jacket. "Neechan I just need to meet Oishi for a little while, I'll be home soon." He asked permission from her sister as he head out the door.

"Okay Syuusuke, be careful." Yumiko replied.

Fuji's steps were swift and steady as he made his way towards Kunimitsu's house where Oishi was already waiting at the gate. "Oishi! Did you wait long? Gomen, I didn't notice my phone when you messaged me."

"Don't mind Fuji, I came here only a few minutes earlier than you." Oishi reassured Fuji, "Shall we go knock at the door then?"

"Hai." Fuji happily responded, deep inside him Fuji was happy that Kunimitsu finally gave a message for Amani.

Oishi knocked on the door of the Tezuka's residence where Tezuka Ayana opened the door for them.

"Konbanwa Tezuka-san." Oishi and Fuji bowed together at the sight of Kunimitsu's mother.

"Konbanwa Oishi-kun, Fuji-kun. I've been expecting you, Kunimitsu sent a message to his father that you will be coming over to get something from his room." Ayana welcomed the two Seigaku regulars into their home with a smile.

"Arigato Gozaimasu." Oishi bowed again as they made their way through the door.

"We hope we didn't bother you Mam." Fuji politely said.

"Oh, it's no bother Fuji-kun, Kunimitsu's friends are always welcome here. It's awfully quiet since he went to Germany." Ayana chuckled a little before continuing her sentence. "Not like it was really that noisy when Kunimitsu was around."

All three laughed together at the thought that it was not really much of a change whether Kunimitsu was home or not since he was quiet and would often be reading a book or the newspaper when he was home.

"We do miss him a lot though Mam." Oishi managed to say after laughing

"We miss him too, Oishi-kun. How are things in the Tennis Club?" Ayana inquired of Oishi as she led the two regulars towards Kunimitsu's room.

"We're preparing to compete for the rest of the Kantou tournament Mam, it would have been easier if he was here though." Oishi replied his voice full of sadness.

"But Oishi's doing a great job as substitute Captain Mam, so please reassure Tezuka-buchou that he left the team in good hands." Fuji added as he placed a hand over Oishi's shoulder.

"I know you're doing a great job Oishi-kun, Kunimitsu believes in you." Ayana affirmed Fuji's statement. "Well here you go boys, take your time, I'll go prepare something to drink."

"Arigatogozaimasu." Oishi and Fuji said in unison as they bow and wait for Kunimitsu's mom to head downstairs before they shut the door to Kunimitsu's room.

Fuji headed towards the mirror being that between them he seemed closer to Amani, "Ami-chan." Fuji called into the mirror which was reflecting a sky-blue room with a girl seated on the desk typing something on her computer.

"S-Syuusuke-kun?" Amani was surprised to see Fuji standing in front of the mirror which reflected Kunimitsu's room.

"Hello." Fuji greeted with a smile.

"Syuusuke-kun, it's you." Amani jumped off her chair very excited to see Fuji.

"Konnichiwa." Oishi suddenly appeared from the side waving at Amani.

"Oh! Shuichiro-kun! You're there too." Amani waved back with a very excited tone of voice.

"How are you Ami-senpai?" Oishi asked.

"Shuichiro-kun, haven't I told you not to call me Ami-senpai?" Amani frowned.

"I can't remember…" Oishi responded scratching his head.

Fuji chuckled a bit before butting in, "Oishi here has a message for you Ami-chan."

"A message?" Amani was clueless as to what Fuji meant by message.

"Hai. I have a message from Tezuka." Oishi said with a smile on his face.

"Oh…" Amani's face suddenly became sad

Oishi and Fuji noticed the sudden change of mood on the girl's face. Oishi being the worry-worth that he was asked, "What's wrong Ami-chan?"

"Oh, nothing, I just miss him." Amani admitted.

"Well, it's okay to miss him, because he misses you as well." Oishi said with a smile.

"How would you know?" Amani's eyes almost crying.

"Because that's why we came here, Tezuka sent a message for you when he e-mailed Oishi." Fuji added trying to comfort the girl.

"Really?" Amani's eyes suddenly lit up from the news.

"Hai. I printed it out so I can give it to you. Tezuka said to leave it at the foot of the mirror." Oishi continued

"Oishi." Fuji called out

"Hai, Fuji?" Oishi replied

"Do you think Tezuka can e-mail Ami-chan directly?" Fuji inquired.

Oishi thought for a moment, "I-I don't know."

"I don't think that's possible Syuusuke-kun, being that we live in two very different worlds." Amani answered her voice now filled with more sadness.

"There's no harm trying, right, Oishi?" Fuji exclaimed.

"Hai. Can I give him your e-mail address then Ami-kun?" Oishi asked.

"Well…maybe." Amani hesitantly replied.

"Come on Ami-kun, don't hesitate." Fuji encouraged Amani.

"Okay, do you have a pen and paper?" Amani asked.

"Wait." Fuji searched Kunimitsu's desk for a small piece of paper and pen, which was not that difficult since Kunimitsu's desk was well organized. "Okay, here we go."

Amani enumerated her e-mail address.

"Okay, I got it, Oishi will send this to Tezuka when he e-mails him." Fuji said with a smile.

"We have to go now Ami-chan, Tezuka's mom might be wondering why we are taking so long." Oishi informed Amani.

"Okay." Amani smiled at Oishi "You two be careful going home. And, arigato gozaimasu for delivering Kunimitsu-kun's message."

"No problem Ami-chan." Fuji said with a smile.

"Oh! Oishi!" Amani called Oishi's attention.

"Is it okay with that I call you by your first name like Syuusuke-kun?" Amani asked with a smile.

"Ah. Oh…" Oishi blushed.

Fuji chuckled and answered in Oishi's behalf, "Shuichiro is happy that you do, Ami-chan."

"Very well, Syuusuke-kun, Shuichiro-kun, have a goodnight and be careful going home." Amani waved at the two regulars as they were stepping out of Kunimitsu's room.

As they made their way down Tezuka Ayana was just about to go upstairs. "Oh, you're done, there are juice ready in the kitchen, have a drink before you head home."

"Arigato." The two regulars bowed together.

"Did you find what you needed?" Ayana inquired.

Fuji smiled while looking at the piece of paper where they wrote Amani's e-mail address in his hand, "Hai. We did Mam."

-oOo-

It was another rainy morning and Amani could barely get herself up from bed when she remembered the message that Oishi and Fuji delivered the night before, she quickly jumped out of bed to check of the folded piece of paper that Oishi left at the foot of the mirror was already there. And to her joy it was, she quickly unfolded the white piece of parchment and read the short message that Kunimitsu had for her.

Dear Ami-chan:

Hello! I hope that you have been well and in good health since I left for Germany. I am doing well here, slowly recovering. Please do take good care of yourself, I know that it is the rainy season in your country now, please do not get yourself wet in the rain. Please gather your stories, I will be more than excited to listen to them when I get back. I am sorry that it had to be this way Ami-chan, Arigato for your support. You are always in my mind, and I hope that I am in yours.

Always here,

Kunimitsu

Amani couldn't help but smile as she read the letter over and over, I am always in his mind. She breathe in a deep breath and finally stood up to get ready for school.

-oOo-

"Ohayou Oishi, Kikumaru, Inui, Kawamura, Momoshiro, Kaidoh, Echizen!" Fuji greeted his team mates as he walked pass then going to the tennis courts.

"Eh? Fuji is in an exeptionally good mood today, right Oishi?" Eiji states as he jumps at Oishi.

"Hai. I guess he found the answer to the question." Oishi answered, "Alright everyone, let's get ready for morning practice."

"Eh? What was the question?" Momoshiro asked to Echizen.

"Momo-senpai…Mada Mada Dane." Ryoma answered as he walked towards the courts

-oOo-