( I )

Pinky Promised

one.

 

She sat in silence, her eyes staring out of the window but none was focused at anything at all. Today was a beautiful day. It was the kind of weather that made people excited and happy, the kind of day that brings good mood to everyone. Everyone in the neighbourhood was feeling jolly and cheerful. All of them were, but her. It had been very long since she was back here in Gangnam, in the bustling city of Korea, Seoul. Though it was an usual busy work or school day for most Koreans, they all had a huge smile on their face. 

 

But, she didn't. Her bit her lips and her gaze dropped to her hands. She played with her fingers nervously, a sigh then escaping out between her previously pursed lips. Behind this expressionless face was a girl that was afraid. She feared this day. 

 

Today was the first day of her high school life and she was not feeling nervous like most other girls were. She was not afraid of the tough studies coming her way, nor was she afraid of making any friends in that school. She did not really care about making new friends. She hasn't had any in the past eight to nine years and she was not intending to make any new ones. All she was concerned about was the promise.  She was afraid of seeing them again as she knew she was not the same girl as before. She feared that they would not like that. Ten years ago, in this very city, she and her three other friends made a promise. It was when everything was still normal for her, when life was fun and days were bright and sunny. It was before everything changed.

 

"We all have to leave each other now." Jackson said as he sighed, stomping his feet onto the ground. He had stepped forcefully into a puddle of rainwater. The water splashed, sending water droplets flying into the air and damping his legs. He scowled at it. 

 

A giggle escaped from Hyun-ae as she watched Jackson tried to wiggle the rainwater off him. Her cheeks were stained with tears from crying too much but that little action could easily make her laugh. Jackson looked up and when he saw a huge smile on her face, he chuckled and twirled the umbrella in his hands. His spinning umbrella deflected rainwater towards Mark's face. 

 

"Yah! Jackson-ah." Mark snapped, as he wiped the rainwater off his face. Hyun-ae laughed again and so did Jackson.

 

"I'll miss you guys." Byunghun said softly, cutting off their laughters. They all looked at him and the smiles were wiped off. They all grew up together as their parents were close friends. Now, unexpectedly, they all had to leave. All at the same time. Mark was moving to America, Jackson to Hong Kong and Hyun-ae to England. "Why... do all of you have to go?" He added, tears already welling up in his eyes. Little dorky Byunghun was not someone who could easily talk or befriend someone. Jackson, Mark and Hyun-ae were the only ones he could have fun with and confide to whenever he wanted. Them leaving means that he would not have someone to play with everyday anymore. He would have to go school alone, with no one to eat with during lunch or group with during project work. He would have to walk home alone, spend his weekends by himself and chase after the icecream truck all alone. He didn't want to be alone...

 

Hyun-ae sniffled, tears falling down her cheeks. She stared at her rain boots and sobbed. "I'll miss you too, Byunghun-ah. and Markie, and Jackson-ah." She pouted as she gripped tightly onto her umbrella. 

 

Jackson panicked a little seeing her cry while both Byunghun and Mark stood next to her, patting on her while tears ran down their cheeks. "Y-yah Yah! How about we make a promise? Let's meet here ten years later?" Jackson asked, forcing a grin. "Hmm... No wait! We'll see each other at Shinhwa High!" The three of them looked up at him. 

 

"Shinhwa high?" Mark tilted his head in confusion.

 

"Yea! The best school in Korea! The school we all dreamt of going, remember?" Jackson said as he got excited and started jumping on the spot. He pointed to the grand building far across the street. The rain made the huge school looked scary, especially when the facilities were of the size for adults and high schoolers. 

 

After a few seconds of staring at the school, Byunghun nodded. "Deal. We'll see each other there." 

 

"Yes! We have to! I'll do anything to get back here and into Shinhwa." Mark said, nodding his head furiously.

 

"Ten years later?" Jackson asked, smiling. 

 

"Ten years later." They all agreed. 

 

So that was how the four 8-year-olds made their greatest promise. Jackson, Mark and Hyun-ae would all be newcomers to their sophomore year while Byunghun would most probably be spending his second year in Shinhwa. Hyun-ae glanced out of the window again, this time spotting the very spot where they all stood when they made the promise. She accidentally made eye contact with a girl wearing the same uniform she was wearing. Hyun-ae was sure the girl saw her too, because she smiled slightly at her. Hyun-ae looked away, turning her attention back to the park. Her eyes twinkled with a hint of happiness as she thought back. She wanted to smile but she had forgotten how to. Her excitement was soon suppressed by the strong emotions in her. She didn't smile and the car zoomed past it before she could look at it any longer.

 

 

"I can't believe we're coming to Korea together. I'm so excited for our first day together!" 

 

"Yeah. I am too." 

 

She squeezed his hands and he did the same back to her. He looked down at her, smiling with affection. He could not believe how pretty she looked in the school uniform. Schools in America were very different. The studies were much laid back and there was not as much stress as schools in Korea. There were no school uniforms and they could wear casual and comfortable clothes. Seeing his girl friend in uniform made his heart flutter. It was unbelievable at first, when he was told that both of them were accepted into the most prestigious school in South Korea. At first, he was a little uncertain about going back to Korea and spending his time in high school alone. Now that he has Lacey, he didn't feel so nervous anymore. 

 

Lacey is a Korean whom he met at the International school in LA during his first year. After crushing on Hyun-ae for years, even during the nine years in America, he finally got attracted by Lacey. Lacey was the one of the popular girls in the school but that was not why he liked her. He liked her because she was fun and kind. She was sweet and the only girl who caught his attention. He held on her hand tightly, smiling to himself as they walked along the path. They walked hand in hand and he was grinning until they happened to walked past a very familiar place.

 

Mark turned his head towards the park, a park he remembered clearly. The smile disappeared and his grip on Lacey's hand loosened. He slowed down as he stared at the place carefully. Lacey noticed his sudden change of mood and slowed down as well. She followed his gaze to the park and when she was clueless what he was staring at, she turned to him again. 

 

"What's wrong?" She asked, stopping infront of the park. He pried his eyes off the park and looked down into her eyes.

 

"Oh. Nothing. Just looking at the park, trying to see if there's any differences from those in America." He lied, smiling a little. He immediately felt guilty for that. He did not meant to lie to her but he did not know how to explain the whole thing to her. Especially since he had the biggest crush on Hyun-ae back then. He did not want to mention Hyun-ae or anything. He glanced down and noticed that her shoelaces were untied. Shaking his head, he kneeled down, surprising Lacey.

 

"How could you forget to tie your shoe laces? Is that why your name is Lacey?" He smiled as he helped to tie her shoelaces. She blushed and giggled. 

 

"I guess I was in a hurry to meet you, so... But hey, your lame's joke." He laughed at her reply.

 

"I don't want to see you stumbling around and getting yourself injured, arasseo?"

 

"Yes sir!" She said as she looked up from him. Just at the moment, her eyes stopped at a girl in a black car. The exchange of eye contact was short but definitely one that she will remember. The girl had a cold look in her eyes, a look that Lacey didn't fancy. It seemed like a look from someone of a high and wealthy status looking down at a poor and helpless person. Lacey was sure she smiled at the girl, but of course, she didn't smile back. Lacey frowned, noticing the same uniform.

 

Just as Mark stood back up, following her gaze, the black car was already far down the road. He blinked, confused at what Lacey was frowning at. He resisted the urge to question her and took her hand instead. 

 

"Let's go." He grinned, looking at the distant building across the street. "Almost there."

 

 

 

 

 

+ First chapter! So what do you guys think? I hope it's well written /prays hard.  Anyway, hope you'd enjoy reading. Thank you~ Comment, subscribe and upvote if you would like to! I'll be extremely thankful.