If Dreams were Reality

If Dreams were Reality

My heart breaks every time I dream a dream: wonderful, beautiful dreams. The only thing wrong is that they are only dreams and not reality. Is that why I run to them all the time? To escape my life and live a thousand others, where adventure, romance, action, heartache, pain, joy; all of these things that make life exciting that exist in these alternative worlds.

 

I close my eyes and when I open them I’m standing in the middle of a huge hall, hundreds of people around me, but none in the center. They are all staring at me, wearing beautiful ball gowns and tuxedos and fancy Masquerade masks to hide their identity, all of them watching and waiting. I was waiting too; confused as to being in the only one in center of them all. Then I saw him, bowing before me with his right hand extended outwards and it hits me. How stupid could I be? This is a Mascaraed Ball and the gentle hand in is asking me to dance. I would be a fool to refuse this wonderful stranger in front of all these people.

 

I put my hand in his and he takes it, brings my hand to his lips and kisses my knuckles. His hand is soft like feathers; his lips are lush as they graze my knuckles. I blush under his touch watching him carefully. The sensation is heavenly. This man, whoever he is, I could fall in love with him.

 

He looks up at me; I get a glimpse into his Sapphire eyes through his mask and they glitter in the chandelier lights all around us. I am caught in his spell as our eyes connect. He stands, straightens up while I measure myself up to him, he is much taller than me; he looks to be about one point eight five meters. I on the other hand am only one point six four meters tall.

 

I could stare at this stunning creature for eternity, and if I were to die, I would watch him from the heavens until the world comes to an end. My mouth goes dry and my words do not escape, if it could, I would say his hair was as black as a raven; his skin is tanned and well moisturized, his physique is muscular and proportioned, even with his tuxedo I could see his muscle structure. I look down and only after seeing it, I realize he is still holding my right hand and now and then he ever so gently brushes his thumb over my knuckles.

 

A soft melody echoes in the halls and I realize it is one of my favourite songs. Winds by Be As One, it makes my insides turn and it feels like I have a hundred butterflies flying around my stomach. It is a weird sensation, like everything is just too perfect, like I am not meant to be here. Before my thoughts have a chance to rampage deeper, the masked man in the black tuxedo is pulling me closer to him, slowly, looking straight into my eyes, his gaze burning into me and I feel like he is reading my thoughts. My breathing becomes heavy and uneven, I can barely breathe, never have I felt this intense feeling, tingling, exciting the nerves in my body; attentive to this beautiful man in every way.

 

He takes my right hand in his and places it on his left shoulder, traces my side with his left hand gently teasing me as he finds my lower back. I close my eyes and enjoy the feeling, dancing is all about touch and co-ordination, and then it hits me! I’ve been so caught up with this man I have not taken the time to inspect myself.

 

 

I take a step back, and he releases me. I look down and see my, sweetheart styled bodice, floor length dress fit to the hip line. It is an A-line, well known to be one of the most flattering designs. Featuring elaborate beading and embroidery embellishes the dropped waist and flows down the skirt to the hemline of this satin and layers of tulle dress. It is a Crisp White colour made from organza over satin fabric. I touch my back with my free hand and feel the corset lace from the bottom up, which stops midway up my back. I smirk inwardly, relieved that I look good.

 

I feel the mask on my face, it feels luxurious, knowing my taste in style I guessed to be silver to match my dress, a seductive and y Cat Woman Masquerade Venetian Mask with Rhinestones. Satisfied that I am in tip top shape, I turn my attention back to the beauty in black who has not taken his eyes off me. He smirks and I get a glimpse at his perfectly straight, sparkling teeth. I can’t stop staring at him.

 

He takes my right hand with his right and places it on his shoulder, and then his right hand travels from my shoulder blades to my back, moving downwards, stopping on my waist. He pulls me closer and I can’t help but look up at him, trying desperately to see his face.

 

His left hand clasps around my left hand and we start to move to the beat of the music. We take slow deliberate steps. Moving back and forth, he spins me around in one swift movement, catches me and brings me close to him again. We keep to the rhythm as we dance, going with the flow of each beat. I wish I could stay in this moment, in his perfect embrace. I feel like a princess; a spoilt, elegant, pampered, graceful princess waltzing across the hall with my prince charming.

 

The music changes to a more upbeat song, I do not recognize the song but I dance to it nonetheless. Our slow waltz changes to a sassy tango. Moving fast, with spins, twirls, and quick feet movements, he was graceful; I was rusty. I couldn’t help but count out T-A-N-G-O in my head to make sure I did not mess up by skipping a step.

 

I can’t help but smile. I am happy and excited. Everything was graceful and elegant with a vantage vibe and chiffon, the way life is supposed to be. It is the way romance is meant to be. I am bewitched, a complete idiot, to fall for this man.

 

The music stops and we stop dancing, he bows and I courtesy. Another song starts but he takes my hand and escorts me off the dance floor, to the balcony. I look up, the night sky is clear and the stars are shinning like diamonds. It is magnificent to look at and takes my breath away. I take a deep breath and exhale heavily trying to calm my nerves. I get an awkward feeling that someone is watching me, when I turn to look around his eyes are on me. His eyes are alight with wonder. I give him a reassuring smile and he takes my hand in his and kisses it lovingly. I blush and look away to hide my embarrassment and he smiles against my skin making the hairs on the back of my neck stand on attention.

 

He looks at me through his long lashes and I look back at him. He brushes his lips against my knuckles and I inhale sharply grounding my body as pleasure courses through it. We stare at each other for a moment and before I know it he is pulling me to him but I do not resist. He wraps his arms around my waist holding me in place. I feel his muscles flex as he relaxes but I tense looking up at him, my breathing is irregular. He slides one hand from my waist to my side, up the side of my bust to my neck, up to my cheek. I lean into his hand as he caresses my cheek with the back of his hand. Gazing at me intensely, as if taking me in, he then removes my mask and I feel in front of him. He removes his mask and I finally get to admire the beauty in front of me.

 

“You are mine.” He says as his nose runs over my chin awakening everything south of my body.

 

I inhale sharply and register the tone of his voice for the first time, husky and y, with carnal intent. I exhale and he places his thumb and index finger under my chin and tilts my head back a fraction and pecked me gently. He parted and looked into my eyes. Sapphire orbs looking into hazel, minutes pass as we look at each other. He kisses me again more tenderly this time. I can’t help to stop. Instead I’m kissing him back, soft, slow pecks one after another, savouring the moment as his hand moves to the back of my head, holding me in place. I wrap my arms around his neck and deepen the kiss. His tongue slips into my mouth, invading my mouth, tasting me and I feel his need to take and give pleasure as our tongues begin to press against each other, both fighting for dominance.

 

Everything turns hazy and begins to fade away into a blanket of darkness and my eyes flicker open. I awake to the sound of my daily alarm. The annoying beeping, ringing in my ears. I think back to the dream: it was a good dream. If only my life were as beautiful. I turn to the side to put the alarm off. It is 5 am. I roll my eyes, get out of bed and head to the shower to start my normal routine for the day.