Memorial

My Air

Everyone was stunned and didn’t know what to do. Jae Hee was in even more shock as she was pushed to the ground and the person in front of her was Soo Hyun. “Are you okay?” She asked me. I nodded and saw her smile before she fell to the ground. That’s when I noticed the blood all over her white shirt. Jae Joon ran to her side and held tightly to the wound as he was yelling for a stretcher. Soo Hyun grabbed his hand, weakly smiled, and shook her head. “NO!” Jae Joon told her. “Come closer.” She ordered him. Jae Joon leaned in close. “I’ll love you even in death. In order for you to live without me, you need to forget me.” Soo Hyun told him. Jae Joon began to break down in tears, “Don’t leave.”He whispered. “Mian, Jae Joon-ah, Sarang-hae.” She whispered as she closed her eyes. Hoon didn’t dare to take a step. He felt as if he couldn’t breathe, as if all the air was gone in this world. His world. That was when he realized that she was his world. She saw the good in him and she brought out the person he wanted to become. Now that she was gone, he was in utter shock. Her father came outside only to see his daughter, in the arms of her fiancee with her eyes closed. “Soo Hyun-ah. Irona, you have to wake up. Your wedding is this weekend, what are you doing sleeping.” Her father said as he approached her with tears in his eyes as he tries to prepare himself for the worse. Once he sees her up close, he loses it. “MY DAUGHTER! MY DAUGHTER! PLEASE WAKE UP!”

 

It’s been a couple of days since her death. Her memorial was today and everyone who knew her showed up. The person in charge of the eulogy was none other than her half brother which surprised many. He stood at the podium with bloodshot eyes. “I actually met Soo Hyun before she became apart of my family. “On my way to school, I would see a girl give a homeless man all of her lunch money for the day. One day I approached her and asked her why she gave up her lunch money. ‘He needs it more than I do,’ was her response. I then gave her my sandwich and told her she needed it more than I did. Once she became a part of my family, I was mean to her for ruining the happy atmosphere my parents’ relationship was in,but I never blamed her. We had our moments from time to time, like when the first guy she liked rejected her by standing her up on a date. She would cry in front of me, asking me why he didn’t like her. Of course I beat up that bastard. Our last intimate conversation was the day before she died when she told me her plans to live abroad permanently and only come back for vacation and visits. I was fine with it, but I knew everyone who knew her would not let her go. She was going to live away with her husband at Harvard. So I suggested to film her goodbyes so it would be easier for her than saying it in person. I want to show her last words to you and I know she is happy wherever she is.” He pushed play on the video. “Is it on, oppa?” Soo Hyun face appeared on the screen making everyone feel a little better at the sight of her smile. “It’s on.” He replied. “Ok, Hi everyone. I know you’re shocked that I’ve moved but its okay. I hold each and everyone of you in my heart. I want to give recognition to the important people in my life. Appa, take better care of your health, I already told my step monster to look after your diet. Even though you are not my real father, I greatly appreciate you taking care of me as if I were blood related. You are a kind sir, even if others don’t see it. To me you will always be my father and no one else can say otherwise. Sarang-hae. Oppa, get a girlfriend! She can probably fix your twisted personality! I’ll call often to check up on your status.” She chuckled, “Jae Hee-ah. Gomawo, for being like a sister to me. I always wanted one. Seeing you made me want to protect you from all harm. I’m really glad we rented the apartment at the same time because I met a wonderful person who deserves all the happiness in the world. Hoon-ah. Thank you for coming into my life. I learned a lot about who I am as a person. I admire your work as a doctor and you should use that skill to save lives and not be such a lovesick fool. It makes you look uncool.You are definitey the person I’m going to miss the most.” Soo Hyun whispers the last part but laughs as if its another one of their banters.”

 

“Jae Joon-shi, Next time you see me, will be at our honeymoon. I still don’t understand why you have to work one more week, but I’ll let you get your business in order. So I might as well include this since we’re going to be married soon, I love you more than my life itself. Even if you didn’t approach me, I would have gotten my father to force you to be with me.” She jokes to the end. “I have never regretted anything. I wish you all the best and see you soon! Bye.” She waves good-bye to everyone and the video goes black. Everyone was unnerved at seeing Soo Hyun smiling and alive.

 

Hoon told himself that she was somewhere in America and tried to convince himself that she will come back one day. As soon as Hoon entered his room, he broke down and continue to sob as he fully realized that she was gone, and he never confessed to her. He clutched his heart, as he tries to stop the pain. “Good bye, Soo Hyun-ah.” He whispers to nothingness.