One

Last Year

Character(s)/Pairing(s): Jung Yunho/Kim Jaejoong (YunJae), slight Park Yoochun/Kim Junsu (Yoosu), Shim Changmin, and others

Rating: T

Genre: Friendship, Romance, School Life

Warning(s): AU, unbetaed, fail romance

Disclaimer: Members of TVXQ and JYJ belong to God, their parents and their respective agency

(xxx)

“This relationship doesn’t work anymore.”

The pitter patter of raindrops hitting the rooftop reflected the scene which happened in this one empty classroom, the somber mood of a conversation which would lead to a broken heart. An end of a relationship, after all, will always be sad.

“What do you mean?” the chestnut-haired student asked the girl in front of him, his girlfriend—or sadly, in minutes, his ex-girlfriend. This might not be his first relationship in love, but still this was his first serious one. He tried so hard, he cared about her and he thought that they were meant to be. Sadly, it seemed, the girl did not have the same amount of affection for him as he for her.

The girl sighed before looking outside through the window, not wanting to face the boy whose heart she will broke in a moment, “You’re perfect, Yunho. You really are. And that’s why I can’t continue this anymore. In the beginning it was fun, but the longer we dated, the more people put expectation on me as your girlfriend. They expected me to become as perfect as you are and it brought so much pressure on me.”

“Not to mention,” she continued, “That your activities as our school president made you busier to the point that we never see each other these past two months.”

“But I already explain it to you,” Yunho looked baffled, “It’s only for the beginning for the school’s new term and you accepted it back then.”

Yunho did not know that his girlfriend was holding all of those within her all this time, that she felt pressured and lonely. He thought that they were okay since she did not tell him anything, but the reality right now was different.

“Just give me a chance to fix everything,” Yunho begged, “I’ll change everything, okay?”

“I’m sorry,” the girl shook her head before turning to face Yunho, an apologizing expression written on her face, “I’m sorry, Yunho.”

That rainy day, Yunho’s heart was broken for the nth time in his short high school life.

---

“Bull.”

Yunho were surprised at his friend’s choice of words after he finished relaying his sob story of how he broke up with his girlfriend. Changmin was more perfectionist than he was, as far as taking speech classes to ensure that he would be able to talk politely to others. The Vice President was, after all, someone who hold image in high regard so the fact that he was suddenly spewing crude word … well, let’s just say that Yunho only heard it once in a blue moon.

“You’re not the type to curse, Changmin.” Yunho said while fixing his glasses, “It was very unlike you.”

Changmin snorted, another anomaly, “You don’t know how much I cursed outside school, Yunho hyung. And besides, your girlfriend reason was , to the point that I even cursed twice in the same conversation.”

The President laughed weakly, “Maybe it’s the truth? That she felt pressured and lonely when being my girlfriend?”

“Or,” Changmin hissed, he never knew Yunho’s ex-girlfriend personally, but hearing Yunho’s story made him want to punch her on the face, “It’s because I saw her kissing Jihoon at the parking lot this morning.”

When he didn’t hear his hyung replying to his statement, he quickly turned his view from the homework he was doing to Yunho, only to found that the said person froze on his seat with an expression resembling pain.

Changmin had to resist the urge to slap himself, why did he become so stupid? Must be bebecause he was hanging around Junsu too much. That duckbutt was contagious.

“I’m sorry, Yunho hyung. I didn’t mean to say—”

“Don’t you worry, Changmin-ah,” Yunho gave him a smile, which Changmin noticed did not reach his eyes, “It’s better to rip it once and for all rather than bit by bit, right?”

The Vice President just nodded before mumbling an apology. The President’s ex-girlfriend was a , anyway. Since when did anyone cared about the student council, which maybe was the reason why she flew to Jihoon’s arms. That person was the famous pitcher of the baseball club and for that social-climber; Jihoon was a better option than Yunho.

Actually, Changmin even wondered why the school’s elites still insisted to have a Student’s Union when the only member was him and Yunho hyung. There were supposed to be others, but they never did step into the room, thinking that it must be a waste of time. The sad fact was even Changmin and Yunho did not become the President and the Vice because they wanted to or because they were voted. It was simply because they were students with the highest yearly ranking.

Changmin sighed, feeling that he won’t be able to finish his homework now. Yunho hyung and his problems had robbed his attention; his hyung was not that bad, actually. In fact, if he threw away his silent attitude and maybe cut his hair a little bit, he would look handsome and approachable as well, even with his glasses.

But it seemed that high schooler nowadays also needs popularity to survive.

The chime of the school’s bell made him look at the clock on his table. 5 pm, the gate will be closed in half an hour so it was time to go home.

“Do you want to come with us, hyung?” Changmin offered while wearing his school vest back and strapping his bag, “Junsu and I are going to get some ice cream on our way back.”

Yunho shook his head, “Nah, I’m not in the mood today. Maybe next time, Changmin-ah.”

Changmin shrugged, “If you say so. But if you changed your mind, you know where to find us.”

With a good bye and a reminder to lock the room, Changmin finally left, leaving the President alone with this thought.

---

The library was very quiet today, more so than the usual days. The rain which had been constantly flowing from the sky in the last few days made everyone not in the mood to read something, unlike Yunho. Rainy weather, a cup of hot cocoa, a plate of freshly-baked cookies and softly-played ballad songs will be a perfect blend to be his companion finishing a well-written book. Add a fluffy pillow and warm blanket and Yunho would not left his room for days if his mother allowed it.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Jung will never allow it.

Yunho allowed himself to slack off for today, his part-time job in the library was not demanding anyway. The students usually will fill the library when it was closer to the semester exam time, which is also when the library will be open 24/7 for those who want to pull an all nighter in the library. The requirement for every student to submit a portfolio for every subject they took was enough to make people went crazy in those months.

Fortunately, the school term was only had been running for three months which meant it was still a long way to go. Mrs. Choi—the librarian—was not there in the library to supervise the part-time workers like them; she just went out to grab some coffee. His part-time partner for today, Siwon, was currently hiding between the bookshelves, probably checking on the newest religion books or the English newspapers they got once every week.

The sound of the library door being opened and closed dissuaded him from playing his iPod and taking a nap. With a huff, he straightened his body, trying to look professional. Man, talk about an untimely appearance.

He briefly wondered if it was a student or Mrs. Choi coming back before the person finally showed himself, which made Yunho froze.

It was Kim Jaejoong.

His ultimate crush since the beginning of his high school life, the one he couldn’t forget no matter how much girls he had dated.

Yunho gulped before flashing the said student a smile, which he hoped not come out as creepy, “Good afternoon, how can I help you?”

Aish, why did his voice sounded so robotic?

“Ah, yeah,” Jaejoong let out a sheepish laugh while rubbing his neck, “I need your help for something?”

“Searching a book?” Yunho silently cheered himself for not stuttering in front of Jaejoong, that would be humiliating, “What is the title?”

The blond-haired student came closer to the counter, looking like he was nervous at something, “I, I don’t know the title, though. Which is why I need your help, it’s a book about Economy.”

Yunho hummed before standing up and leaving the counter, “Ah, okay then. Let me show you the way to the Economy section and we see if you found something you need.”

Jaejoong nodded furiously which Yunho found cute, “I’m sorry that I’m troubling you.”

“No problem at all,” Yunho smiled, “It’s my job, after all.”

Well, anything for his crush, right?

The two of them then walked to the Economy section which was located on the second floor of the library. The silence which surrounded them clearly not helping; it only made Yunho’s heart beat faster and faster. His hands felt clammy now and he was afraid that Jaejoong will notice it.

“Okay, here we are,” the President announced when they arrived, thankful that his voice didn’t break, “You can browse the title of the book which was on this shelf on a small computer over there and then look for it, but if you want to get something which was on a higher place, you need to tell me okay.”

Mrs. Choi did not want the accident where a few students who tried to reach those books and ended up making the bookshelves fell happen again. The librarian was quite ruthless, though. She cared more about the books than the fate of the students.

Jaejoong nodded before sauntering to one of the rows there. Yunho was debating on whether he would follow Jaejoong or just waited until he was called when Jaejoong did the second option. Quickly, the chestnut-haired student walked to the row which Jaejoong entered before.

“Yes, do you found anything you needed?” Yunho asked when seeing Jaejoong.

Jaejoong smiled shyly, “But it’s at the top and you said that…”

Yunho nodded, “Oh, okay then. Let me get it for you, which one do you need?”

Yunho then took the movable ladder from the edge of the shelf and push it towards the location where Jaejoong were standing.

“It’s the green one, on the second row from the top.”

“Wow, you have a good eyesight to be able to see it from here,” Yunho chuckled; well, anyone besides him of course had a better eyesight, they did not use glasses.

The President then climbed the ladder to take the book that Jaejoong needed. He only needed several minutes to do it, though. After all, two years of part-timing in a library made him some kind of a professional.

“I’m going to check it out for you, okay?” Yunho said, still holding the book while he returned the ladder to its former place.

When Jaejoong did not respond, he quickly looked back and found that Jaejoong was looking at him, dazedly.

Is Jaejoong sick? Yunho thought worriedly, He seemed off today.

Kim Jaejoong was one of the most popular students in their whole school and always emitted an aura of confidence wherever he went, not to mention a soft smile that always succeeded in making his fangirls (and fanboys like Yunho) squealed. That is why, the sight of Jaejoong who looked nervous and silent did not sit well for Yunho.

“Are you okay?” Yunho finally decided to ask, “Do you need to sit for a while, Jaejoong-ssi?”

His question seemed to snapped Jaejoong out of whatever he was thinking (or maybe he was having a headache?) and the blond-haired student smiled, “No, no. It’s okay, Yunho-ssi. I’m fine. Please check the book out.”

“Okay then,” Yunho nodded slowly, “Then please follow me.”

Their return to the front counter was awkward. The silence was still the same as before but the atmosphere was not as comfortable. Yunho scolded himself silently; he should not have prying too much before and now Jaejoong did not even want to look at him.

Did Jaejoong even want to look at him? He thought sadly.

“So…” his voice croaked so he quickly cleared his throat before continuing, “May I have your ID please?”

“Sure.”

After scanning the ID and inputting the data of the book, he returned it to Jaejoong before giving the book.

“Here you go. The limit of borrowing was three days. If you need to borrow it longer, you need to bring it back here again after the three days are over. Damage and lost will be charged to your account so please take care of the book well.”

He saw Jaejoong nodded without taking his sight off the floor, making Yunho’s heart hurt. Did he was that annoying before?

“Uh,” he began lamely, “If that is all, I’m going to the back and—”

The popular student suddenly looked up before he shouted, “No! Wait!”

Yunho was startled.

A tint of red then appeared on Jaejoong’s cheek; it seemed that he realized that he was shouting, “I-I’m sorry. But … I wanna ask you and then you … I mean, does the consultation corner open now?”

The library had various services and one of them was the consultation corner where student who need guidance for their essays and portfolio could come to, which was very convenient. It was managed by the top ranked students of the school (Yunho included) and a few teachers.

“It always opens throughout the year,” Yunho answered, still confused about Jaejoong’s behavior, “But usually people only come when it’s nearing the exam time.”

Jaejoong’s mouth morphed into a very big smile, which made Yunho had a hard time to tame his beating heart. The popular student looked so beautiful when doing that, “Then, can I reserve you?”

“Re-reserve?” Yunho was not able to recover so fast, thus the stuttering, “You mean for … tutoring?”

Jaejoong nodded, “Yeah, my credit was sufficient for it. Although…” he then looked thoughtful, “Do you have time?”

For Jaejoong, he would give all the time in the world. When will he get this perfect chance to be able to get close to the blond-haired student? Their world was far too different from each other.

 “Ye-yeah. I have time on Thursday and Friday,” said the President before adding, “And Monday as well.”

Jaejoong, for some reason looked very excited, “Sure! Can I have your phone number? So I can contact you if I didn’t get something … that is, if you’re okay with it…”

“No problem at all,” Yunho fished out his phone from his pocket, “You can contact me anytime.”

After they exchanged their phone numbers, Yunho had to hold his grin from forming. He had Jaejoong’s number now, something he never dreamt of having. He looked at the number and name that was shown on his phone’s screen, trying to carve it into his mind simply because he could not believe it.

“Thanks a lot, Yunho-ssi,” Yunho silently swooned when Jaejoong gave him his trademark smile, “See you on Thursday then.”

The popular student then skipped towards the library door, leaving Yunho who was smitten.

Even forgetting that he had just been heartbroken last month.

Fortune Goddess was on his side this time.

---

“Tell me, hyung,” interrogated Changmin the moment he sat on the chair in front of Yunho, “Tell me how do you get so close to Jaejoong hyung in these past few months.”

“Yeah, hyung. Not that I was mocking you or what…” Junsu continued, “But you are not the popular one in this school.”

Yunho looked at his friends unbelievably before clutching his shirt and gasping dramatically, “Why are you guys saying that? I’m hurt.”

Changmin rolled his eyes, “See, you’re even starting to sound like him. Where’s my ol’ Yunho hyung, I need him back.”

The friendship between Yunho and Jaejoong seemed to bloom beautifully after the day at the library. After a few meetings, they were able to chit chat casually, finding more about each other and to the surprise of both of them, they had so many things in common. That led to texting each other continuously and phone calling after school. They still did not reach the stage where they hang out with each other after school though and Yunho thought he should not push it.

“Well, you know that I’m kinda tutoring him for the essays and portfolio last semester right?” Yunho explained, “Let’s just say that we’re kind of clicked and after that getting closer…”

Junsu sighed dreamily, “That’s neat, hyung. I wish I can have a fateful meeting like that with my Yoochunnie.”

“I’ve already told you before, just chase him,” Changmin looked exasperated when saying that, he was tired of Junsu’s whining about Yoochun, “The prom is getting closer so this is your chance.”

“But what if he already got himself a partner? Yoochun is popular and he always had this humongous mob of fans running after him. What am I supposed to do?” In the end Junsu wailed before hugging Yunho who pat his back for comfort.

“There, there Junsu. Maybe I can ask Jaejoong for his phone number and then you can ask him out.”

“He won’t dare. This dolphin has no backbone,” Changmin mocked, “If you can ask him out, Junsu, then I will treat you your favorite ice cream for a month.”

Yunho and Junsu looked at Changmin as if the Vice-President had grown a head. Changmin treating you food, something which he called so holy, was almost close to never if not impossible. So the fact that the youngest between them three was willing to treat Junsu ice cream baffled them.

“Are…are you sure, Changmin-ah?” Junsu sniffed, “You’re going to do that?”

“I never broke my promise, am I? So just do it,” Changmin sighed before giving an eye signal towards Yunho.

The President quickly understood. Changmin did it so that Junsu finally got courage to confess to his crush, the youngest might look like he didn’t care even if he actually did on the inside. Yunho sighed; Changmin sure was a complicated person.

“I’ll help you too, Junsu-ah. I’m going to ask for Yoochun’s phone number for you so you can actually ask him to be your date for the prom,” Yunho offered.

Junsu looked incredibly touched to the point that he looked like he almost cried, “Thank you guys. I really really appreciated it.”

The school’s soccer team captain then pulled both Changmin and Yunho for a group hug; continuously saying how grateful he was and they truly were his best friends. Yunho looked at Changmin and smiled, which was reciprocated by the younger. They hoped that this year will end well for Junsu.

A cough broke them out from their hug, which actually came from Jaejoong who stood there awkwardly looking at them. The popular student gave them a smile, which according to Changmin, looked forced.

“Can I borrow Yunho for a while?” Jaejoong asked, for some reason his face looked like he just ate something sour.

“Ah, sure. Just go ahead,” Changmin responded; Jaejoong’s expression was clearly interesting just now.

Yunho then recalled the text from last night; Jaejoong said that he wanted to hang out after school since they were already being friends for several months now. The chestnut-haired student swiftly strapped his bag over his shoulder while standing up, feeling giddy all of the sudden.

“You don’t have to wait for me,” he informed to Changmin and Junsu, “I’ll see you guys tomorrow, ‘kay?”

“Sure, bye Yunho hyung!” Changmin waved, “Have a nice trip! You too, Jaejoong hyung.”

Junsu stood up before pecking Yunho on his cheek, his affectionate gesture that he usually gave to Yunho and Changmin (much to the Vice-President’s chagrin) when they were going to separate ways, “Bye Yunho hyung, and Jaejoong hyung as well! Take care!”

Changmin interestedly noted that Jaejoong flinched when Junsu did that. The senior looked tense and he looked like he wanted to murder someone.

It seemed that this year will end well for everyone.

Yunho laughed while ruffling Junsu’s and Changmin’s hair (which he swatted away) before striding to the place where Jaejoong was standing. The both of them then walked off side by side, Junsu commented that they looked good with each other.

“You think so too, right Changmin?” he asked his friend, “Hopefully they can hook up with each other before they graduated this year.”

Changmin hummed, “Let’s see about that.”

---

Yunho felt uncomfortable. He did not know why but the atmosphere that surrounded them during their walk to a café was gloomy. He looked at the student who walked beside him; Jaejoong did not spoke any words since when he informed about their place of hanging out, which made Yunho worried.

Did he do something bad without realizing it?

“Umm … Jaejoong,” he called.

“Yes? What is it, Yunho?” Jaejoong looked up from his view off the road they walked on to see Yunho.

Yunho suddenly felt embarrassed, the way Jaejoong looked at him was so intense sometimes that it made him wanted to hide in the nearest hole.

“Ah … well, do you feel fine? I mean, you looked pretty gloom just now. Should we just skipped the café—”

“No!” Jaejoong shouted before a faint red blossomed on his cheek and he continued in a softer tone, “No, I mean … I’m okay. I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to make you feel troubled.”

The President shook his head, “No problem at all. It’s natural for friend to care about each other right?”

Jaejoong hummed and the conversation stopped there until they reached a small café that Yunho swore he never seen before even though he usually passed this road to go to the supermarket.

A soft tinkling of the door bell announced their entrance to the employees of the café, who seemed to know Jaejoong, because the next minute they were crowding him; whining about why the popular student never came in the last few weeks.

Jaejoong laughed, his mouth formed a smile that made Yunho’s heart skipped a beat (and it seemed to have the same effects to the employees as well), “Do you miss me that much? I’m honored!”

One of the waitress came forward and linked her arms with Jaejoong’s, intend to steer the blond-haired student to his usual place and at the same time able to get close to him, “We sure did, Jaejoong-ah. Even the boss was grumpy because you didn’t show your pretty face to us these days.”

Other waitresses then also followed the popular student to his seat, leaving Yunho there by the door. The waiters, after the noisy greeting, were already back to their station.

“Are you a friend of Jaejoong?” a small voice pulled Yunho from the sight of Jaejoong surrounded by the waitress, making him turned his head to the left; finding a waitress still standing beside him.

Yunho was surprised, though, that there was someone who noticed him after all that ruckus, “Yes. You can say that.”

“I’ll show you the way to your seat then,” the waitress bowed professionally, “Please follow me.”

By the time they arrived to where Jaejoong was, Yunho had found out that the waitress’ name was Yoona and that she felt embarrassed by the behaviors’ of her workmates. The café might be empty but it was very unprofessional of them to do so.

“And it’s your first time here as well,” Yoona gasped when Yunho told her that, “You must be thinking of how Neanderthal we are.”

“That’s fine,” Yunho laughed, “Though it seemed that Jaejoong is really popular here.”

Yoona nodded, “He is. He’s one of our usual customers, he’s … beautiful and he’s also very friendly. Everyone is bound to fall for him at some point.”

Yunho could not help but to interject, “But not you?”

Yoona smiled, “No, because he’s not my type.”

The way Yoona looked at him suddenly made Yunho felt self-conscious. He understood that look; having girlfriends throughout the years. It was the look that was trying to lure him into asking the next question.

Then what is your type?

The image of Jaejoong from before flashed through his mind. The view that was presented in front of him was not that pleasant, in fact he could feel his chest hurting because of that.

And that was where Yunho decided to take a dip, after all, nothing’s hurt, “Then what is your type?”

Yoona hid her smile behind the tray she was carrying, but Yunho could still saw a faint blush formed, “If I say it is someone like you, do you mind?”

Yunho gave the waitress his best smile, “Nope, I’m actually honored when you said that.”

Both of them finally reached the table where Jaejoong sat, the crowd had dissipated; leaving only Jaejoong there.

“Ah, Yunho,” Jaejoong said with a big grin on his face when the popular student finally noticed them, “What took you so long?”

His grin then faltered when he saw Yunho and the waitress talking like they already known each other for so long.

Yunho finally seated in front of Jaejoong before giving a smile to Yoona, “You promised to treat me, right?”

“Yup, your foods today will be on the house. Think of this as your welcoming gift,” the waitress then turned to Jaejoong, “And your usual as well today, Jaejoong-ssi?”

Jaejoong only nodded before turning his view to the street outside. The position of their table beside the window made it more convenient.

If Yoona noticed Jaejoong’s cold shoulder attitude towards her, she did not show it. Instead she only spoke more, “Jaejoong, you should bring Yunho here more often.”

“You’ll make me broke, Yoona,” Yunho answered instead, before telling Yoona to get his cake because he was hungry already.

The moment they were left alone, the uncomfortable atmosphere was back and it felt heavier than before. Yunho squirmed on his seat, what is wrong with Jaejoong today? He did not feel like he was making any mistakes again.

“Jaejoong, what’s wrong?” his questions remained unanswered because the popular student still not looking at me, “Did I do something wrong?”

“No,” came the soft whisper that sounded so sad for Yunho that the President decided to move himself to be able to sit beside Jaejoong.

“Is there something wrong at school? I may be only become your friend for several months now and perhaps you still felt uncomfortable talking about this kind of thing but you know that I will always lend you an ear—”

Jaejoong’s action after that cut Yunho from his blabbering, the popular student hugged him and putting his head on the chestnut-haired student.

“Jae-Jaejoong?” Yunho suddenly felt his whole face burning, “Wh-What’s—”

“Shush, let me do this for a moment,” Jaejoong said in a low voice, “You’re so warm and comfortable.”

That comment made Yunho felt like he was going to faint with how fast his heart beating just now. He only hoped that Jaejoong did not felt it from his position.

“Is Jaejoong okay?” Yoona’s voice made Yunho turned his head, the waitress was looking at them with worried expression.

“He’s fine,” replied Yunho, trying to break free from Jaejoong’s tight grip which was proved to be unsuccessful, “He was just sleepy all of a sudden.”

“Ah,” Yoona exclaimed while putting their dishes and drinks on the table, “You guys are on your last year already, right? You must be so busy.”

“Yeah, the exam is coming soon.”

“After the exam, you must come here. We’ll treat you again,” Yoona said before gave Yunho a wink which the latter only answered with a small smile.

He then heard Jaejoong mumbled something; although it was muffled because he was burrowing his face to Yunho’s shoulders.

“Our food is already coming, Jaejoong. Let’s eat,” he coaxed the popular student who suddenly resembled a kitten in these few minutes.

It was cute though. Yunho wondered if this was a small part of Jaejoong’s true nature hidden behind his popular façade.

The chestnut-haired student felt Jaejoong shook his head, which let him let out a soft sigh. He was not the type to waste food and the dishes would surely not taste as well if they did not eat it now. His hand then automatically reached the spoon and cut a piece of Jaejoong’s cake. Without realizing it, he was trying to feed Jaejoong.

“Open up,” Yunho said that made Jaejoong peeked out from his position; only to find a spoon with his usual on it in front of him.

“Yun-Yunho what?” now it was the time for Jaejoong to blush from his ears to his neck, which Yunho noticed.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” he quickly apologized, “You must feel embarrassed.”

“No, I want it. My hands were too tired all of a sudden,” the blond-haired student reply made Yunho secretly feel happy inside. Trying to tone down his smile, Yunho then feed Jaejoong the cake.

The sight of the two of them resembled that of a couple that it made a particular person swooned behind her seat. The owner of the café, a woman in her late twenties, tried to stifle her giggles. The quiet atmosphere of the café this afternoon surely would make her voice reached them.

“My broken heart,” the waitress who linked her arms with Jaejoong before hold her chest dramatically, “Boss, let me come home earlier so I can my wounds in peace.”

“Not in a lifetime, Yuri,” the boss said swiftly, “Or you would like to get your pay get cut?”

Yuri pouted, the boss were very cruel regarding about money.

Besides her, Yoona also sighed.

“And Yunho was actually my type too,” the waitress said, “Why the handsome boys are always taken?”

“It sure is a cruel fate,” the boss mused, “But that Jaejoong, he catch a good one this time. I think I should let everyone at home know about this.”

“He will get angry at you, boss,” Yuri said, “And he won’t talk to you for months. I think he’s serious about Yunho.”

“Well, because he’s serious that I have to let them know too,” the boss laughed, “Besides what can little Jaejoongie do to his older sister, hm?”

Both Yuri and Yoona wondered, how the gentle Jaejoong could have a devil-like sister like Kim Ahyoung.

---

With a deep sigh, Yunho put all of his stationery back to his bag. He then stretched his body, feeling numb from having to sit for four hours. His eyes hurt and his back were in pain; hunching on his seat reading questions was not good for his body. The chestnut-haired student was glad that the national exam was finally over. At least he could rest while waiting for the invitations (which he hoped to get) from his chosen university; he could not take it if he had to sit through university exam.

He might be a top-ranked student at their school, but that did not mean that he enjoyed studying that much.

The President was just rising from his seat before someone tackled him, making him pushed back to his seat. He saw a mop of blond-hair and concluded that it was Jaejoong that was doing that. Yunho tried his best not to smile too wide.

“Jaejoong-ah,” he started, “How did your exam going?”

A huff was heard from Jaejoong before the said person raised his face from his position snuggling on Yunho’s shoulder, “My head hurts.”

Yunho could not help but to chuckle which resulted in a smack delivered by the popular student.

“Don’t laugh at me,” Jaejoong hissed, “Not everyone is as smart as you.”

“I’ve told you before, right? Study well long before the exam.”

“Yeah,” Jaejoong snorted, “Unfortunately I’m also not the type who had an almost photographical memory like you.”

Yunho hummed, “Okay, okay. Let’s get outside now. I can’t stand the murdering glare from your fans anymore.”

Jaejoong was currently sitting on top of Yunho’s lap, their relationship was developing faster to the point that both of them were quite touchy feely with each other. Not that Yunho was complaining—in fact he was very happy, but he was quite afraid of the act of vandalism from Jaejoong’s fans. The popular student got some hardcore there inside his fan club.

“Sure,” Jaejoong nodded before standing up, allowing Yunho to do so as well, “But carry my bag, will you?”

Another trait that Yunho discovered about Jaejoong recently was that the popular student was actually a very spoiled person, being the last of nine children in his family certainly made Jaejoong the king of the house. Add the fact that he was the only boy and basically his wish was everyone’s command.

Although that did not mean that he could escape from the teasing and pranks given by his older sisters unscathed. Jaejoong once told Yunho that his sisters used to make him as their doll; dressing him up with ribbons which brought a loud guffaw from the President. Jaejoong sulked for an hour because of that.

“Your wish is my command, Princess,” teased Yunho which somehow made Jaejoong’s cheek turned scarlet. Teasing Jaejoong was another favorite of Yunho, the popular student was so easily flustered and his cheek always turned red.

“Shut up,” Jaejoong hit him again, “Do you need your eyes to get checked again, Yunho? I think you need new glasses because I’m a male, okay? I’m a Prince.”

“You sure are full of yourself. What will be the reaction of your fans knowing that their idol is a full blown narcissist, hm?”

The bickering between them made time passed faster. By the time they broke out from their last banter, they found themselves already reaching the cafeteria. Yunho saw Junsu waved at him, signaling that he and Changmin already saved a seat.

“So, Yunho ­hyung,” Changmin said when Yunho and Jaejoong had finally sat properly, “How’s the exam?”

“My back and eyes hurt, but I answer all of the questions,” Yunho replied, “Although I’m not sure on my Biology no. 15.”

“You are lucky, hyung,” the Vice-President sighed, “I’m perfectly confused on no. 2 and 23. And how about your Chem, is it—”

Aish, cut it out!” Junsu whined while closing his ears with his hands, “Stop talking about the exam. You guys will do great since you’re basically the top students, unlike me. Just let it go.”

“Yeah,” Jaejoong chirped in, “It’s already in the past so stop it. Let’s just order some food.”

Changmin quickly agree when food is mentioned, inviting Junsu to make a jab at the former. An argument between them was inescapable, which provided Jaejoong and Yunho a source of entertainment.

“Can I sit here with you guys?” a husky voice which made Junsu squeak greeted them. All of them then turned around and found Yoochun standing there smiling while holding to a tray full of food.

“Yoochun-ah!” Jaejoong exclaimed before looking at the other expectantly, “Can Yoochun sit here?”

Yunho smiled then nod, although it looked a bit forced. He had to swallow the jealousy that was rising inside of him. Jaejoong and Yoochun had been the best of friend for so long, after all, and there was that rumor about them dating each other during their sophomore years.

“No probs, just sit there beside Junsu, Yoochun hyung,” answered Changmin while trying to hold his grin. The soccer team captain was frozen on his seat when Yoochun finally took seat beside him.

“Thank you … um, Changmin, is it?” Yoochun queried, “I’m sorry, I’m not good at remembering people’s faces.”

The Vice-President shrugged, “It’s fine, I’m not that popular anyway.”

Hearing what Changmin said made Yoochun grinned at him, “You will be surprised, there are many girls in our club that like you.”

Yoochun and Jaejoong were part of the school’s vocal club. Jaejoong was the head and Yoochun his vice. Both of them were very talented musically and usually brought the school a wonderful performance every year during Welcoming Ceremony, although Yoochun usually become the pianist these days since their former pianist was already graduating and they had not find a new one.

Jaejoong seemed to agree as well, “But they’re kinda afraid of you. They said you’re unapproachable.”

“I’m not interested in dating now, though,” uttered Changmin, “I think I’ll start on college.”

“That’s disappointing,” Yoochun shook his head before glancing at the bubblegum-haired Junsu who sat beside him.

“And you … Junsu?” Yoochun asked, “The soccer team captain?”

Junsu stuttered, “Ye-Yes!”

Changmin snickered when seeing the interaction between them, which led to Yunho felt sorry for his friend. It must be nerve-wracking since he never actually had a conversation with the vocal club’s pianist and the fact that Junsu was having an enormous crush on the said guy was basically left him incapable of speaking normally.

“Stop it, Changmin,” Yunho whispered, “Don’t you see that Junsu almost fainted there?”

“I know, I know,” the Vice-President let out a cough to conceal his laugh, “Just quickly asked the phone number, hyung. I know you forget asking it to Jaejoong hyung before.”

“Sorry, I’ve got a lot to think about these days,” Yunho rubbed his neck, “Supposed I can ask him now?”

Changmin glanced to Yunho’s side and his eyes met Jaejoong’s, which looked unfriendly this time. It seemed that there was someone who was jealous that he and Yunho were whispering with each other. He pretended not to notice that and looked back at Yunho when suddenly an idea formed inside his head.

I can kill two birds with a stone like this, he thought.

“Yeah, ask him now. The quicker the better,” Changmin suggested, “We haven’t get our lunch too and I’m hungry so do it now.”

Yunho nodded at the younger student before calling Yoochun, “Um, Yoochun-ssi?”

The pianist looked at him with friendly expression, “Just call me Yoochun, Yunho sunbae. It sounded too formal.”

“You too as well. Don’t call me sunbae, just use hyung,” Yunho said; well, here goes nothing, “Yoochun, may I get your phone number?”

Yoochun expression changed to a confused one, “Why, Yunho hyung?”

 “A-ah, well,” Yunho could feel Changmin nudged his leg, “I want to ask you about something … regarding about musical instrument. Your family had a music shop, right?”

“There is something wrong with my piano back home and right now I can’t afford to fix it to the store,” the lie was created easily by Yunho, “So I want to ask you about that later when I got home.”

Yunho completely missed the shocked expression on Jaejoong’s face, followed by sadness which was gone as fast as it came. Both Changmin and Junsu noticed this, though, and they could not help but to pity the man.

There was someone who thought of this the wrong way.

“Y-Yeah, sure,” Yoochun threw a quick glance to his side but Jaejoong was not looking back, making the pianist felt guilty. He knew nothing about this, to be honest and he will try to explain this to Jaejoong.

Yunho’s bright expression made Jaejoong’s face fell even more to the point that Junsu wanted to tell everyone it was him that wanted to get Yoochun’s phone number not Yunho. Changmin quickly pinched Junsu’s thigh when he saw the latter’s attitude, he will ruin their plan if he do that.

“Thanks, Yoochun,” thanked Yunho after entering Yoochun’s phone number to his own, his fingers nimbly sent it to Junsu, “I’ll call you later, okay?”

Yoochun looked pale when hearing that, “Sure, hyung. Anytime.”

“Okay then, let’s go eat,” Changmin tried to neutralize the awkward atmosphere that had formed between them, “Yoochun hyung, guard our place, please?”

The pianist nodded, although his eyes glanced at Jaejoong constantly. The popular student let out a deep sigh before pulling Yunho’s arms, saying that he wanted Yunho to buy him a bowl of spicy ramen.

Changmin wondered why did Yunho hyung was a genius in studies but so stupid in love?

“I feel bad, Changmin-ah,” Junsu whispered when they were distanced from the other three, “Should I apologize?”

“No, just let the nature takes its course,” was the only respond Changmin gave.

“Well, I hope Yunho hyung was not too late, the prom was next week after all,” Junsu said with worried tone.

“Just think about yourself first, Junsu. You still had to get that Park guy as your partner.”

---

Yunho felt horrible, really horrible and miserable these days. Jaejoong, although still as kind as before, now put a distance between them. Yunho first thought it was because the popular student felt tired after the exam and need to catch up his sleep to be able to reply to his text messages quickly as it used to be, but after a few days Yunho realized that was not the case.

He wrecked his brain to find whether they had a problem before without him noticed, but he simply could not find any. He tried to think again about their last day of being normal and it was the day when he asked for Yoochun’s phone number, which Junsu still did not dare to call.

He asked for Yoochun’s phone number.

A sudden thought hit him and he could not breathe for a second. No, no, no, it was simply absurd, ridiculous. It must be the result of his pining for Jaejoong throughout the years and made him deluding that Jaejoong actually thought that he was going to ask Yoochun to prom and felt sad about them.

‘Or perhaps it’s the truth,’ his heart said; sounding so much like Junsu, ‘It was the only answer why he did not contacting you as much as before.’

‘Or perhaps you were delusional,’ his mind countered, suspiciously sounding like Changmin, ‘You guys had only been each other friend for several months and besides, he was famous. Do you think he was going to be sad about you, a nobody? He might be prancing around with his new partner right now while you’re here sulking alone. That’s a reason why he did not have time to chat with you and only sending you shorter text.’

The heart snorted, ‘Don’t hear what mind says. It’s too cynical to the point of never thinking about happiness of the world. Jaejoong must be catching the wrong meaning when you ask that to Yoochun, after all it’s already that time of the year. So now, man up, Yunho! Go to his house, declare your love and ask him to be your partner!’

 ‘Are you nuts!’ the mind hissed, ‘Don’t, Yunho, or you’ll be embarrassed forever if you’re wrong!’

 ‘You already followed your mind these years and look where it takes you,’ the heart tsked, ‘All those wrong girls. Listen here, Yunho. Like people said, sometimes you have to follow your heart instead of your brain and this is the moment. In love, heart is always the first. And I’m telling you, kid, and my hunch about this is always right, that Jaejoong likes you too and it’s time for you to ask him before someone else! Do it now because regret always comes late.’

“Yes, you’re right,” Yunho mumbled, making the mind screamed and cursed, “It is once in a lifetime chance and I’ll be damned if I didn’t take it.”

‘That’s my boy,’ the heart sounded pleased.

In a swift move, Yunho went out of his bed and changed his clothes to his best casual. He even spent some time trying to style his hair and putting his expensive cologne he only used once in a while. He also changed his glasses, the school’s glasses was too nerdy for this occasion. Yunho was not someone that was unconscious of fashion, in fact he was actually quite a follower especially with a designer-to-be little sister. It was just that he did not have any motivation to dress that well in school.

He took his phone and his wallet before storming out of his room to go to Jaejoong’s house. What he did not expect, though, was that his family to notice the way he dressed so well this evening.

“What’s this?” his mother gasped, “What’s the occasion that you need to dress so well, Yunho-ah?”

His sister, Jihye, chirped in, “I guess oppa wants to confess to someone this evening. Right, oppa?”

His mother approached him, so sudden that he did not even realize, “Tell me, Yunho-ah. Who is she?”

“It’s not a she, umma,” Jihye said while grinning, “A he.”

“Then who is he, Yunho?” not his dad as well, “Is he someone we know?”

Yunho held back his groan and instead forced a smile, not forgetting to send a glare to Jihye the traitor. He did not expect his sister to open up his cards like this after he actually asking for her help when buying Jaejoong’s birthday gift and willing to tell Jihye about his hangout with Jaejoong.

“He’s someone from school, umma, appa,” he said, “I’m not going to tell you now, okay? I’m going to tell you after I succeed.”

He hurriedly bowed to his parents then turned away with his mother shouting good luck and his father mumbling about that’s the spirit of the man of the Jung family. He also heard Jihye snickering and promised himself to steal that girl’s favorite bandanna as a revenge later.

---

When he arrived at the Kim family residence, he felt his body broke into a cold sweat. He never actually confessed to someone at their home, opting to do it at school because it was more convenient and that his feelings were not as great as it was now.

Yunho inhaled some air before releasing it again slowly to calm down. The thought of ‘you can do this’ was filling his head and without wasting more time and his bravery—he was afraid that if he waited for much longer he would decided to run off—he pushed the doorbell.

The sound of foot and the faint shout of wait a minute greeted him before the door was opened revealing one of Jaejoong’s sisters, Sooyoung, whose face brightened when seeing the chestnut-haired student.

“Oh, Yunho-ah!” Sooyoung looked like she was expecting him which was weird, “Do you want to meet Jaejoong?”

“Yes, noona,” answered Yunho, still confused of why the woman in front of him was grinning so wide, “Can you please call him?”

“Okay, wait for a minute,” Sooyoung winked before turning her head and hollered, “Jaejoongie! Your boyfriend’s waiting!”

Yunho could feel his face redden because of what Jaejoong’s sister said.

“He’s not my boyfriend, noona,” the sound of feet stomping the floor came closer, “And what do you mean that Yunho’s my boyfriend, he’s not—”

Jaejoong’s ranting stopped the second his eyes finally caught Yunho’s before his face turning red. Seeing that, Sooyoung laughed out loud.

Dongsaeng,” Sooyoung tried to speak between his laughter, “I did not even say his name so why did you already know it is Yunho who’s going to come? Are you peeping from your window or you quickly assumes because I said it’s you boyf—”

“Quit it!” the blush on Jaejoong’s face had crept to his ears now. The popular student snatched one of the jackets that were hanging beside the door before pulling Yunho’s hands. In mere seconds, both of them had found themselves walking away from the house with Jaejoong still pulling at Yunho’s hands without realizing it. They finally stopped when they reached a park near Jaejoong’s house.

“They won’t bother us here,” Jaejoong muttered while leading Yunho to the swings, “I’m sorry, my sisters are always that noisy.”

“It’s okay,” Yunho smiled softly even though Jaejoong could not see it because the blond-haired student was walking in front of him. So, instead, he squeezed Jaejoong’s hands that were holding his.

The squeeze seemed to break Jaejoong out of his thoughts because he quickly turned to face Yunho and tried to pull his hand, which was not successful because Yunho gripped it.

“Yunho, what?” a faint blush covered the popular student’s cheeks again, “Let go of my hands.”

“No, we need to talk,” Yunho’s serious tone made Jaejoong stopped his struggle. The President then motioned for Jaejoong to sit on one of the swings which he complied.

“What is it, Yunho?” Jaejoong asked once again when he saw Yunho was kneeling in front of him, the slight breeze of evening wind made Jaejoong able to smell Yunho’s cologne which really suit the chestnut-haired student.

“I want to talk about something…” Yunho seemed nervous, “It’s about Yoochun.”

Jaejoong was silent but Yunho could see that his eyes were glistening as if holding back the tears. If his heart was right (which he hoped so), it seemed that Jaejoong really had the same feelings as he did.

“D-Do you want to go to his house?” Jaejoong stammered, “I can show you the way.”

Yunho smiled, he needed to confirm Jaejoong’s feelings first, “Why would I want to go to his house?”

“Because…” Jaejoong looked pained when letting the words out, “You want to ask him to go to the prom together?”

“Why would I want to do that, Jaejoong?” Yunho then reached for Jaejoong’s face to wipe away the popular student’s tears that unconsciously had let out, “Why would I do that if the one’s that I’m been dying to ask as my partner to the prom is you?”

Jaejoong’s eyes widened, “N-no way. But you asked for Yoochun’s number and I thought that the one you’ve been chasing all along is him because you kind of asking me about whether Yoochun is single or not?”

“It’s for Junsu,” now Yunho was daring enough to cup Jaejoong’s face with his two hands, his position was starting to hurt him but he simply did not care, “That dolphin had a big crush on your best friend.”

“That means…”

“Kim Jaejoong, will you be my boyfriend?”

Jaejoong did not respond for a while, making Yunho getting more and more worried as time ticked. He was afraid that he made a mistake and Jaejoong did not love him at all. The chestnut-haired student was bracing himself for the rejection and their shattered friendship that followed when suddenly he felt his body being tackled, making him pushed to the back and fell on his .

What he got was Jaejoong hugging his neck while burying his face on Yunho’s shoulder. The blond-haired student did not say anything, though, and it made Yunho felt confused.

“J-Jaejoong-ah,” he started nervously, “So does this mean you—”

“Yes!” Jaejoong then pulled himself away to be able to look at Yunho’s face, “Yes, I will.”

Yunho swifly hugged the popular student while keep repeating thank you, I love you over and over again. Telling Jaejoong about how he actually already liked the popular student since his first year but never dared to approach him because he thought he was nothing compared to Jaejoong.

Jaejoong confessed as well, the blond-haired student had liked Yunho since the President first chosen as their student council president, but like Yunho, Jaejoong never dared to approach Yunho since the President had girlfriends throughout the years.

“I’m very very dumb, then,” replied Yunho after hearing Jaejoong’s story, “If I had noticed it sooner then I’ll confess to you right away on our second year.”

Jaejoong chuckled, “Me too. If I had known, I will actually confess to you right at the cafeteria during lunch time.”

The newly born couple laughed for a while before they stopped, letting the comfortable silence surrounding them. The air was warm and it certainly supported the loving atmosphere around them.

Yunho let out a sigh before snuggling Jaejoong’s neck, smelling the soft fragrance that was uniquely Jaejoong, “I’m glad that I do this, confessing to you.”

In return, Jaejoong held Yunho closer to his own body and kissed the President’s hair. His hair was as soft as Jaejoong’s imagination.

“I’m glad too because I’m not as brave as you in love, Yunhoyah,” Jaejoong’s affectionate tone made Yunho’s heart fluttered, “If you did not confess, then I’m certain that I will end up spending my last year heartbroken.”

“I’m sorry to say this, but we are dumb in love,” Yunho finally distanced his face so he could looked at Jaejoong at the eye, “And that is the reason that we fit together.”

“Birds of the same feather always stick together, eh?”

The two looked at each other for a moment before it was broken by Jaejoong’s question.

“So, are you going to ask me to the prom?”

Yunho smiled mischievously, “Still no date for prom yet?”

A head shake, “No, since there was no one at school that actually deserved me to be their partner.”

Jaejoong even exaggerated it with pointing his chin up, “And you should be grateful that I, Kim Jaejoong, had chosen you to be my partner, Jung Yunho-ssi.”

“My pleasure, Princess,” Yunho said with a mock bow which was a failure because of their position and Jaejoong’s slap to the chestnut-haired student, “But to be fair, I request of something from you to be able to accept your offer since being the partner of Kim Jaejoong-ssi must be a very hard thing to do with the high expectation.”

“What is it?” Jaejoong grinned when he saw the glint on Yunho’s eyes, “Tell me, my Prince. What should I do?”

Yunho closed the distance between them before whispering, “Kiss me.”

The popular student complied, “Gladly.”