Ch 9

Without Glasses

Monday.

 

Back to school to school again. I knew I shouldn’t be happy, but I was. Many things had happened this weekend that I wanted something else to occupy my mind. I didn’t want to think about knowing Hyosang was not Hansol and Hyosang was Kidoh; about maybe, just maybe, having some feelings for Hyosang; and about Father wanting me to live with him and his other woman.

 

I shook my head. Today, I’ll just think about school and nothing else. Right!

 

Like the usual, I was walking on an early morning to school. My mind was still sleeping, so I arrived school just realizing I was already there and  having my subconscious guide me. And like previous week, I subconsciously ignored Hyosang.

 

I didn’t see him wearing his glasses for the first time in school. I would’ve taken a nap right away,  if he didn’t call out to me. And when I turned around, I saw him and his glasses. He was in his ‘Kidoh’ look only adding his glasses and bruises.

 

Man, he looks so cute and squishy with them on!

 

I realized it was the first time seeing Kidoh knowing he was Hyosang. I would’ve still disliked him if I didn’t know the reason he acted the way he did in school. Now I understood that he was just putting up with ‘Kidoh’ facade for Hansol, his younger cousin. I could feel my heart warming up for him, even though I still deny those feelings.

 

"Hello?.. Yuji?.. Yuji!"

 

"Huh? What?" I responded blinking.

 

"I called out to you, and you just started staring. I knew it!"

 

"Knew what?" I suddenly sat up straight.

 

"I look weird!"

 

"Huh?"

 

"In case you hadn’t noticed, I’m wearing my glasses now. Since our encounter yesterday," he paused, looked away and back. "I figured I’m not going to pretend anymore. I fought back." I saw the corner of his lips turned to smile for a second. "I decided to be me and be confident. Though I left this hairstyle alone," he chuckled.

 

I smiled. I could only imagine more girls would fall for her with that additional accessory.

 

"A-and thanks for treating my wounds. They’re a lot better now," he smiled shyly. In my mind I still couldn’t believe he was the same person I disliked only last week; his snobbish and cool look to this cute squishy look.

 

"O-oh. It was nothing. Like I said then, I would left you there on your own."

 

"But you didn’t. And you said that you couldn’t."

 

"Well, yeah you’re welcome," I quickly said dropping the subject.

 

I was about to turn around he said, "I have something to tell you Yuji."

 

"What is it?"

 

"Um.. I want to tell you that.. that.." he said shyly.

 

"Hm? Something wrong?"

 

"Huh, oh no. I just want to tell you that.. I.. you.."

 

"Ha?"

 

"I -!"

 

"Good morning world!" Dahye appeared by the classroom door before Kidoh could finish what he was trying to say. "Good morning Yuji! Kidoh! Whoa! You look cute with that glasses! New fashion trend?" she beamed. He blushed.

 

"You already know he’s Hyosang from the cafe. The one you met just two days ago?" I raised an eyebrow.

 

"I know I know. Is it bad to give a compliment to someone? Sheesh!" she said as she sat down on her seat. "Are you two still fighting? Anyway, Kidoh looking good!" she winked, he blushed even more, and I rolled my eyes.

 

"What were you going to tell me?" I turned to him.

 

"O-oh it’s nothing. Nothing important. I can just tell you some other time," he smiled nervously.

 

"Oh ok."

 

"Oh what’s this? You two are talking now? Something going on with you two?" Dahye asked. Kidoh and I stiffened up. "Oh! There is something!"

 

"What are you talking about? Nevermind that I have something to tell you," I said changing the subject.

 

"Tell me what?" she leaned on my desk.

 

"I’m going to move to New Zealand."

 

"Oh sorry, what was that? I must’ve zoned out and didn’t hear you. I thought I heard you about moving somewhere."

 

"To New Zealand. I’m leaving for New Zealand." And the next happened that I wasn’t expecting. Both Dahye and Kidoh stood up in shock. Well, I was expecting for Dahye to be shock but not Kidoh. He looked surprised, and I thought he looked a bit somewhat upset. Or maybe that was just my imagination.

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"I’m going to live to New Zealand with my Father and his woman," I said trying to calm her down. I gave Kidoh a confused look. He  smiled apologetically and slowly sat down.

 

I explained to her what my Father said to my Mother as students slowly coming in the room. I also told her what my Mother thought about it. I remembered how she easily agreed to that plan; flying out of the country for a long period of time, or maybe even forever that I might not even come back.

 

"No! You might not even come back!"

 

"I know. They said that it’d be good for my future," I said taking my notes out and getting ready for the first class. Students were also getting settled in the class; meeting with their friends and talking about their weekends.

 

"But not for my future! I need you here with me!"

 

"Well, my Mother didn’t seem she’ll miss me. I bet she’s delighted that I’ll be leaving," I forced a smile.

 

"How could you say that? Did she reallu looked that way?"

 

"Yes? Uh no..? Not really.. Well, I wasn’t wearing my glasses, so I didn’t actually see.. But how could she just agree like that? Besides I don’t think I’m doing that well here in school anyway.. so.."

 

"No! See you didn’t see, yet how could you say that! You need to stay here or else!" She said trying her hardest to convince me.

 

"Or else what?"

 

"Or else.." then the school bell rang. "I don’t know, but still!"

 

I smiled.  At least there’s someone who wants me to stay.

 

Classes went by with just me wondering what’d be of me living in another country. I didn’t know how to speak english, but I didn’t care. And I wasn’t exactly well acquainted with my Father’s woman. I sighed. Oh well.

 

Then in between classes and lunch, Dahye would start talking what she thought the negatives are of leaving her.

 

"You’ll miss me! You’ll be all alone! You can’t even speak English! You’ll be bored out of your life without me!" She kept going on and on.

 

Truthfully, a part of me didn’t want to go. I’m not sure why, but I was hoping something will happen that will push me out of my Father’s plan. And unexpectedly, that push came from someone I didn’t expect either.

 

- - -

* * * * * * * * *

 

Huh? She’s leaving? Why? Just as I decided to have a little confidence. Just as I wanted to get to know her. Just as I look forward  going to school with her now that I know her, and she knows me. Just as I was about to tell her what I feel a minute ago.

 

I spent the rest of the day contemplating of Yuji leaving. Even as I had lunch with Hansol, she was all I could think of. I didn’t think I was in any position to stop her from leaving.

 

"Hyung.. Hyung.. Hyung!"

 

"Huh? What?"

 

"You’re spacing out. Something wrong?" Hansol asked chewing his lunch.

 

"Oh nothing. I just heard Yuji’s moving to abroad," I said casually not hinting I care.

 

"Hm? Is that good?"

 

"Why won’t it be good? Living in a foreign country!"

 

"I don’t know, Hyung. Just last week you didn’t like her. And then yesterday, she was at our house and that you wouldn’t tell what happened; and you suddenly said that she wasn’t bad as we thought. I’m not sure, if I should hate her or not," he frowned.

 

I didn’t say anything and was just playing with my food.

 

He sighed. "Well, if you think it’s good for her, why don’t you just congratulate her and greet her goodbye."

 

I tilted my head considering this suggestion.

 

School bell rang and lunch break had ended.

 

- - -

 

I thought about what Hansol told me and decided to at least congratulate her. I sighed at the thought.

 

Like usual, she’s the last one to leave the classroom.

 

"Um.. Yuji!"

 

"Oh, what is it?" she said surprised.

 

"I just want to congratulate you."

 

"For what?"

 

"Well, I overheard you and Dahye this morning talking about you moving to New Zealand. I think that’s a great opportunity for you," I forced a smile.

 

"Oh, you think so?" If I heard right, I thought she sounded a bit disappointed. "Thank you," she forced a smile.

 

"You don’t want to go, do you?"

 

"I don’t know. My Mother doesn’t seem to have a problem about it. And you think that it’ll be good for me. I think only Dahye wants me to stay," she sounded sad. It broke my heart a little. It’s not just her. She started to leave.

 

"It’s not just her!"

 

"Huh?" she turned around.

 

"I mean.. I heard you weren’t wearing your glasses when you talked to your mother. How can you be sure she wants you to go? Have you seen her expression? Her eyes? You know expressions and eyes tell most of what people are thinking and feeling," I babbled.

 

What was I thinking! What did I just say? She’ll think I’m weird! I knew that wouldn’t change her mind from going, but they just came out of my mouth. I sighed.

 

She smiled and head for the door.

 

No! She’s leaving!

 

"Wait!" I run in front of her.

 

She looked at me, and I looked back and held our gaze for a moment.

 

"It’s not just her. I don’t want you to go either."

 

She looked surprised, and slightly dropped open. "W-what are you saying?"

 

"I’m not sure, but I think I’m starting to have feelings for you. I’m starting to like you. Or maybe I do like you."

 

* * * * * * * * *

- - -