Just a Kiss

When the World Ends [HIATUS]

Sungjong was getting married in just three weeks time but for some reason, all he could think about, instead of worrying about all the planning and preparations for it, was how broken Myungsoo still was after a year since his first love – whom the elder male considered his true love – left him for a girl. When he thought about it, your ex turning gay right after leaving you did appear to be quite an insult, but life was supposed to go on, right? 

"Why do you even want me to catch your bouquet? It's a dumb tradition anyway." Myungsoo grumbled whilst picking at the partially peeling paint on the old table. "I'm already your best man, aren't I?"

"Really Myungsoo? I was planning to get you a dress and make you my maid of honour." Sungjong joked to lighten the mood before an argument blew up between them. The last thing he needed on his already stressed out mind was to get in a pointless fight with his best friend. "Stop picking at the table before Woohyun sees you."

"He doesn't mind."

"Yes he does. He just doesn't have it in him to tell it to you directly so he scolds me." Sungjong grabbed Myungsoo's hand to make him stop. Sighing, he asked, "Aren't you lonely?" 

"I am."

Sungjongs expression softened at that. He wasn't expecting Myungsoo to admit it so simply. The man had only dated one girl after his heartbreak, but soon ended it because he was worried he was getting too attached to her, so what Myungsoo said next didn't surprise Sungjong one bit.

"I don't want a relationship though, never mind about getting married." he sighed, looking up at Sungjong before telling him in a deadpan manner, "Right now I just want someone hot to make out with." 

"I'll just go get us another round of coffees then." Sungjong sighed. It was such a typical thing for Myungsoo to say at random whenever he wanted to avert attention away from one topic to another. It also meant that things were all right again between the two friends, so Sungjong left the table with just a playfully dramatic roll of his eyes. 

Dealing with a depressed Myungsoo was exhausting even when it just popped out on the occasions where Sungjong accidentally brought up a sensitive topic; at least it was less frustrating than the wedding planning though, especially when he had to do it alone for the time being while Howon was in Japan. It didn't help that everyone who knew about the engagement kept telling him to stop stressing out so much, without realising their words had the opposite effect on Sungjong. 

"Hi," the barista said to him sweetly as soon as he was close enough to the counter. His lightly flirtatious voice was usually reserved for only the hot girls who stopped by for a coffee there but it wasn't strange for him to speak the same way to Sungjong. "What can I get you my sweet flower?"

"Two coffees." Sungjong stated calmly, clearly unimpressed by his cheesiness. "And a painkiller if you have one."

"Oh? Let me see."

"Woohyun." the younger complained as soon as the other reached out to touch his forehead. "It's not a fever."

"Maybe it's a better idea to go out for some fresh air. You two have been in here for more than two hours and I'm getting a little worried," Woohyun spoke whilst preparing the hot beverages for his two younger friends. "Not that I mind the presence of two special flowerboys when there's no one else to look at." he then added as an after thought. 

"For the love of..." Sungjong placed a palm on his aching forehead and tried not to please Woohyun by chuckling at his corniness. "How do you ever get girls?"

"Same way you got your own man to pop the question." Woohyun stated with playful seriousness while wiggling his fingers under Sungjong's chin, "Beauty and undeniable charms."

"Thanks, I guess." Sungjong mumbled while pushing the other's hand away, but Howon wasn't half as shallow as Woohyun made him out to be with the way he described it. 

"By the way, how long have those two been together?"

"Those two?" Sungjong wondered out loud briefly before turning around to see who Woohyun was talking about.

Then he saw Myungsoo who was talking to an older male – that Sungjong thought was leaning a little too close to him over the table – while smiling like he was given the pleasure of looking at the most amazing person in the world up close. It had been a long time since Sungjong had seen that kind of a wide smile on Myungsoo's lips, and an even longer time since he saw him kiss another man, but that's because it never happened before.

"What the..."

"Woah." Woohyun watched as well in amazement as Myungsoo almost pushed his chair down while standing up to meet the stranger's inviting lips. "That's kind of hot though. Hey, wasn't that guy at your engagement party last month? Seems awfully familiar."

"I've never seen him in my life."

"And wasn't Myungsoo into girls?"

"As far as I know, yes."

"Then can I also—"

"No." Sungjong cut in, knowing fully well that Woohyun had always had a little thing for Myungsoo. No way was he letting a player near his broken friend though, even if said player was a friend of his too.

He looked at Woohyun to ask if he was kidding around about seeing him at his engagement party but the elder appeared to be seriously confused and even a little concerned as he watched Myungsoo making out with someone. 

"Your drinks, Sungjong." Woohyun said while pushing the two cups towards him. "Go find out what's going on and report back to me."

Sungjong thanked him quietly and made his way towards the strange couple, ready to bombard them with questions. 

"Bye, Myungsoo." the stranger said before Sungjong was close enough to say anything. 

"Bye." Myungsoo stated seemingly calmly as he watched the elder male leave the coffee shop, but then almost darted his gaze towards Sungjong, with eyes wide as if he had just been caught doing something wrong; he definitely wasn't as calm as he tried to act.

No matter how well Myungsoo knew how to conceal his emotions, over the 7 years that Sungjong had known him, it was clear as day that Myungsoo did not want to talk about what had just happened. And that's why Sungjong had to know everything. Details. 

"Okay. Who was that guy?"

"I don't know, he just came over to talk." Myungsoo let out in a barely audible mumble as he reached for his coffee. "Ah! Hot..."

"Talk? Alright. If that's what you're going to call it... And I thought you weren't into men."

"I'm not." Myungsoo drank his coffee, evidently trying to calm his nerves.

"But that kiss—"

"Well I told you I wanted to make out with someone hot, didn't I? I wasn't joking, and he was hot so I thought why the hell not. And why are you making a big deal about my love life again? This has nothing to do with that guy anyway. He's just someone I just met."

Sungjong stared at him. It was a first time for sure that he'd seen Myungsoo like this. It was like he was nervous and scared, but trying to hide it. And it also marked the first time Myungsoo wasn't able to hide it. Sungjong hated to poke fun at someone else's misery, but he couldn't help but find Myungsoo's somewhat shy behaviour amusing.

"So, what's his name?"

"I don't know, he never told me."

"But he knew your name."

"Well, he asked for it."

"And you didn't ask for his?"

Sungjong laughed, very amused. No one had ever turned Myungsoo so shy and cute. Even his hands were still shaking from feeling jittery from his meeting with that stranger.

If Woohyun was right, and that guy had been at Sungjong's engagement party last week, then he'd have to ask Howon about it when he got back from Japan. This whole situation raised red flags and suspicion in his heart, but surely this guy wasn't just some creep. Right? Myungsoo wasn't so thick to let a strange man so close to him if he seemed suspicious to him. Right?