Final.

Key to Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Every school would have a unique tradition for their graduating batch of students, and what makes the graduates from Pearl Blue high school develop a better memory of this day would be the tough fight between the students to get the keys that they want.

Upon entering the school, every child would be given a set of lock and key for their personal lockers to keep their items in during their course of study. This set of lock and key would accompany them for the next 4 years in their education in Pearl Blue high school.  

The tradition is set that on their graduation day, the students will be required to give their key away to another person. It can be for any significant, but for teenagers at the age of 18, what would matter more besides having minor crushing?

No one knows who started the trend, or when it had become a norm, but most students forward to receiving the key from the senior they had been admiring on their graduation day.

The key symbolised a form of acceptance. While the original owner held the lock, the person who holds the key would represent the special person that is able to unlock the original owner. As the girls would say it in a cliché manner, “it is as though we hold the key to the person’s heart.”

Keys will be looped into a black necklace that is required to be hung around every graduate's neck. And as students are required to wear the necklace upon their arrival on their graduation day, it will be easy to identify if someone had given away their keys.

The rule of thumb is that you can choose to reject someone when they request for your key, and you can only accept 1 key. Once keys have been accepted, it is supposed to be kept away, as a sign of identification that the student “has been taken”. Graduates are allowed to give to anyone in school, from the teachers to students from non-graduating classes; however only those from the graduating classes are allowed to give away their keys. Of course, they are also allowed to keep their own keys if they didn’t have anyone in mind.

The tough battle would refer to the fight for the student president’s very own set of key. Who wouldn’t want the key owned by the most gorgeous and popular student in Pearl Blue?

And as said, it will once again be a very interesting graduation day for the graduates from class 2014 of Pearl Blue high school.

-

The students all know the exact timing that mister student president would arrive at school every day. As bus 143 approached the bus stop at exactly 7 that particular morning, the bus stop was more crowded than usual. Girls were rushing to stand nearer to the bus stop, in hope that they will be the one who would receive that special key.

As the bus’ doors opened, eyes were set on the alighting passengers, waiting for the well-dressed man to appear. Like how gentleman-like the girls often gushed over him to be, he allowed all the other students to alight first behind coming down last.

Lee Donghae could feel the intense glares on him as he came down from the bus that day. He knew that everyone would want his key, and had also received an advice from his senior last night. Kim Youngwoon, from the graduating batch of 2013, the student president that was before him, and his favourite senior, specially warned him about the craze he would be likely to face. Who knew it would start the moment he arrived at the school bus stop.

Donghae saw his best friend, Kyuhyun, standing by the side of the bus stop. He nodded and smirk at the dude as he tilted his head towards the school gate. As much as the girls are crazy over him, basic respect was given and no one dared to touch him. It was as though the crowd spilt apart just to let the student president walk towards where his friend was waiting for him.

Both Kyuhyun and Donghae were amused, despite seeing the same scene almost every day ever since the announcement of his position was posted.

They stood alongside with each other, Kyuhyun gave a high-five to Donghae and they continued to walk into school. As expected, the crowd followed behind them.

“Hey mister pres., how’s the key~” Kyuhyun teased as he noticed how the girls around them were giggling and pointing towards Donghae’s black necklace.

Donghae chuckled and pull his key pendant that was looped around his neck, “Safe and sound, Kyu.”

Gasps were heard from their surroundings, and the two friends laughed at the reactions from the girls. They had thought that Donghae was about to remove the necklace since he was pulling the key away from his neck.

It was not as though Donghae and Kyuhyun didn’t know the effects they had on the students, they just loved disturbing them.

-

On another side of the campus sat Lee Hyukjae, the dance club president of Pearl Blue high school, with his group of friends at their usual spot in the canteen. He may not be holding such a high position like Donghae, but he had his fair share of popularity.

His charisma, his wittiness, and his kind hearted soul had made many girls fall for him and his personality.

Hyukjae crossed his arms on the table and laid his head down. He smiled fondly at his friends joking and playing early in the morning. He was not a morning person, but this being his last day with them all, he can’t help but to appreciate it more than usual.

Hyukjae was tugging on his own key as he listened to his friends’ conversation. His mind drifted off to the possibilities of being able to give his the one, and being able to receive from the one too. However, he knew that the chances were very low, and even if he were to give it, the one might reject him.

“Isn’t it obvious that Siwon’s going to give his to his kyukyu?” Ryeowook teased as he nudged the taller man sitting beside him.

“Hey! Kyukyu is my nickname for him!” Siwon retorted back, “and who said I’m going to give him, he might not even accept it...”

“Aww too bad, Siwon,” Jongwoon laughed at him as he hugged Ryeowook closer to him, “I’m lucky that my boyfriend stole mine away last night…”

“Kim Jongwoon!! You’re not supposed to tell anyone that,” Ryeowook pushed Jongwoon chest away and glared at him. Jongwoon smiled back and hugged Ryeowook closer to his chest, “it’s okay, it was meant to be yours anyways,” and gave him a light peck on his forehead.

Hyukjae kicked them from under the table and did the puking action,“Oh god guys, stop with the public display of affection. Get a room!” 

“You’re just jealous, Hyuk…” Ryeowook rebutted and stuck his tongue out childishly.

“Aish! Don’t remind me about it please…” Hyukjae crossed his arm and leaned back on the chair, “I don’t know who to give!”

As Hyukjae cried out, the girls around him whispered even louder.

“I have a chance omg,”

“Oh no, it was not for me,”

Hyukjae’s friends could only laugh at his reaction as they leaned closer to the table and raised their eyebrows. Ryeowook whispered, “Are you sure, Hyuk…”

“Hey! Shh!” Hyukjae warned as he looked around, afraid that someone might have heard what Ryeowook said, “You know I don’t stand a chance…” Thankfully he was soft and the other students were too busy gossiping.

While Hyukjae and his friends were in the midst of an engrossed conversation, Donghae and Kyuhyun walked into the canteen to find their friends too.

“Hey guys~!” Kyuhyun cheered as he sat beside Sungmin and leaned on his shoulders, “it’s finally the last day oh my god.”

Sungmin pushed Kyuhyun away and smiled at Donghae, “Good morning Hae, I see your fan club is waiting for you.”

Kyuhyun pouted and leaned against the back of his seat. Donghee and Sungmin laughed as they waited for Donghae to settle down.

“I’m so tired, but they entertained me with their reactions every morning,” Donghae yawned and leaned his head on the table, “wake me up when the bell rings, please?”

“You’re lazier than me, how did you become the student president…” Donghee munched on this sandwich and continued, “Why would he even notice you.”

“Don’t talk about it here. Let me sleep.” Donghae mumbled and closed his eyes.

It may seem like Donghae was sleeping, but he was just getting some shut eye because he was honestly having a little trouble trying to figure out how to give away his own key. He knew it was almost impossible to pass it without being noticed by the other girls, especially when they were stalking him and there were too many spies around.

And just when he was worried about the number of spies and gossips being speculated, he heard someone’s name being mentioned. His ears perked up despite having his eyes shut.

“Minzy said Hyukjae oppa was telling Ryeowook oppa he didn’t have anyone in mind to give his key to…”

“No! Is he going to keep it for himself!!”

“I’m not sure… she just said he don’t know who to give them to.”

“Aish, just give it to me then…”

The girls’ laughter faded off as they walked further away from the table that Donghae was seated at.

It wasn’t as though Donghae did not know who Hyukjae was. They were once classmate too, and he was too the dance club president. Donghae could only sigh at the fate that the two more popular students

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter