two.

He Who Bears the Crown

The weeks passed by Sungmin, and despite his initial doubts he really did become used to the odd town, the young man finding himself worryingly comfortable with the colourful characters that filled it. Most of the time Sungmin found himself sat behind the bars of the large tellers cage, mountain of built up paperwork taking up most of the long days. His nights were spent between the cosy bar or within the small barbershop, welcomed with open and eager arms by Ryeowook – and an apathetic Kyuhyun – who he was happy to call his first real friends within the town.

When the paperwork finally got the best of him, Sungmin fed up with the never-ending pile that only seemed to grow in time, he decided to close early for the day to head down to the bar for a much needed break.

There was not like there was much else to do in town, the papers would still be sitting there for him tomorrow.

Stretching he locked up the bank, smiling to himself as the warmth of the sun seeped into his skin. Walking down the long dirt road he waved at Youngwoon, who was stood beside his small wagon.

“Good afternoon Sungmin.” the large man mumbled. “Are you interested in some apples?”

“Not today Youngwoon, thank you.” Sungmin replied with a shake of his head. “But expect me first in line tomorrow for some of your strawberries – I will not let Hyukjae beat me out this week!”

With a deep chuckle Youngwoon nodded happily, Sungmin giving him a grin of his own as he said goodnight for the evening. The rest of the street was deserted, Kyuhyun curiously missing from his table outside as Sungmin stepped into the bar. Closing the door on the dim building he found the room empty, save for the brunette that stood behind the counter.

“Well you're here rather early today. Paperwork finally get the best of you?”

“That pile is ridiculously large for a town of this size.” Sungmin grumbled, Heechul laughing as he fixed the other man a drink. “You only went a month or two without a banker, how could it have possibly gotten this bad?”

“The city heads tend to go overboard with paperwork for us.” Heechul replied. “I'm assuming then that they didn't tell you?”

Sungmin frowned. “Tell me what?”

“As you've seen we're not a particularly rich town, most of us make do by depending on the business of each other.” the bartender replied, lowering his voice as he leant in towards the curious man. “But that just makes it the perfect place for someone to keep something rather precious.”

“Are you meaning to tell me that this town happens to be sitting on a pile of secret riches?”

“It's been rumoured since I was just a child that the city board of directors keep a look over this place so heavily because of an item here thats worth the rest of us combined.” Heechul breathed, amused glint in his eye.

“Rumoured?” Sungmin laughed. “You of all people would know if such an item was really in this town.”

“I do know a thing or two” Heechul chuckled. “But nothing more about this. I don't even think old man Kibum knew exactly what he was safeguarding for all those years.”

“Really? How curious...”

Silence quickly fell between the two men, conversation ending as more of the townsfolk started to enter the bar. As Heechul went back to work Sungmin sat against the counter deep in thought, contemplating just what Heechul had said to him. No one in the city had mentioned to him about anything special in the towns bank, but the desperation to get him into the job as soon as possible, coupled with the large pay check and mountain of paperwork was starting to make more and more sense if there was a treasure that came alongside them.

A loud voice woke him from his thoughts, the call of his name by the friendly barber from a table nearby catching his attention. With a smile he moved over to them, Kyuhyun giving him a short nod in return as he sat.

“Thank goodness you're already here Min, you will not believe what one of my clients was telling me about the angel thief!”

Sungmin frowned. “The angel thief?”

“You don't know!?” Ryeowook gasped.

“I have heard of him once or twice” Sungmin replied. “I always just assumed people were kicking up a big fuss over a random string of robberies.”

“Woah seriously? He's a big deal in all the towns out here, isn't that right Kyukyu?”

Kyuhyun nodded. “He's been travelling up through all the small towns in the country and cleaning them of all their valuables. No one actually knows anything about him though except for the poncho he wears with angel wings stitched into the back.”

“Exactly!” Ryeowook exclaimed, excitement growing. “And Mr. Jung was telling me today that he was spotted a couple of towns over headed this direction!”

“Which is just a tall tale.” Kyuhyun stated, pinching Ryeowook's cheeks lightly as the barber pouted. “That old man has told you numerous wild tales and you have believed every one. He was the one to tell you about the spreading of the bull population, remember? And now Hyukjae is obsessed with the idea because of you.”

“It does seem like the Mr. Jung figure is just out to scare you Ryeowook.” Sungmin added, not at all surprised the barber had played a roll in Hyukjae's 'occupation'.

“That was one mistake, this one is true I swear!!” Ryeowook cried, frown forming at how easily both Kyuhyun and Sungmin dismissed his claims.

Sungmin just watched as the pair across from him continued to argue amusedly, although he couldn't shake the bad feeling that had started to settle in the pit of his stomach.

 

Bright and early the next morning Sungmin was stood in front of Youngwoon's stand, bright smile on his face as he awaited the precious stash of strawberries. He had made sure to get down there as early as possible to beat Hyukjae from buying out the entire weekly supply, the bullfighters addiction to the red fruit common knowledge throughout the town.

Sungmin was peacefully dreaming about all the strawberries he was going to enjoy that day, Youngwoon happily humming across from him when a loud screech drew their attention, Sungmin and Youngwoon looking at each other alarm as Hyukjae's yell quickly cut off. Immediately the pair broke into a run, sprinting down the road until they reached the source of the commotion, Siwon following shortly behind them.

“I'm here! What on earth was the source of tha-- oh.”

Before them a strange young man was sprawled out awkwardly atop the bullfighter, a mess of tangled limbs as they struggled to right themselves. Quickly Youngwoon stepped in to help the pair, lifting them so they were upright once again, Hyukjae's cheeks a dark red as the stranger flashed him a sheepish smile.

“I'm terribly sorry about that, I didn't see you until you were right under my nose... you're alright aren't you?”

Hyukjae managed a slight nod of his head, moving to hide behind a bewildered Sungmin as the sheriff tried to take control of the situation.

“I'm sorry, but who exactly are you? Never in my time as sheriff has someone caused such a commotion on their way into town.”

“Ah yes, of course!” the man exclaimed, sticking his hand out with a large grin. “You must be Siwon – my name is Lee Donghae, I'm a bounty hunter.”

“Bounty hunter?” Hyukjae blurted, Donghae nodding at him happily in confirmation.

“Yuup! I'm glad I have you here then Sheriff, the Order sent me down here to speak to you and your townspeople as soon as possible. I have the papers on me somewhere...” he continued, mumbling to himself as he searched his pockets.

“Uhh sure then.” Siwon replied, turning with a flourish towards the town. “If you'd like to follow me into town we can discuss your job on the way. Youngwoon, can you get everyone to gather at the Ace?”

“Of course.” the big man muttered, the three of them heading quickly into town while Sungmin and Hyukjae trailed behind them.

“You okay Hyukjae?”

The bullfighter pouted. “I fell on my flag and broke it...”

Sungmin smiled, throwing an arm around his shoulders. “I'm pretty sure I have some tape in the bank, we can fix it later.”

 

It wasn't long until the small town was gathered in the bar, low hum of curious whispers filling the room as to who exactly the strange man was. Finally with an enthusiastic nod from Siwon the bounty hunter moved forward, crowd falling silent.

“Hello everyone, my name is Lee Donghae and I'm one of the countries best bounty hunters. I do not want to cause any unnecessary alarm or panic, but the reason I've been sent to here is to warn you of a potential threat. There have been reports that the man known as the angel thief may be making an appearance here soon.”

Donghae smiled, taking in the shocked faces before the room erupted in panic. He shrugged sheepishly at Siwon as the voices continued to rise in alarm – all except one particularly high voice, who just sounded rather smug – the sheriff sighing before he moved forward, raising his arm to recapture their attention.

“guys, GUYS. As your enforcer of justice I promise to ensure, along with Donghae's help, that our town continues to remain safe from this thiefs hands.”

“But what if he really does show up?” Hyukjae squeaked, unease clear on his face.

“Then I will deal with him to the highest degree of the law.” Siwon replied, eyebrows wiggling in emphasis. “I have never failed you before Hyukjae, I will not let our town be terrorised by some thief.”

 

As the days continued to pass the townspeople attempted to go about their lives as normal, unease felt through the entire town continuing to grow. The streets were often empty, even Youngwoon's stand unusually quiet, save for Donghae who stood as a constant guard outside Sungmin's bank.

The constant threat had put Siwon on high alert, the sheriff spending most of his time stalking through the streets, often following a bewildered Hyukjae, hidden behind the bullfighters clumsily repaired flag. Even Kyuhyun was no where to be found, the normally stoic man choosing to spend his time inside the barbershop with a spooked Ryeowook rather than sitting at his perch outside the bar.

Shaking off the ever present watch of Donghae in the bank Sungmin entered the near empty bar, approaching Shindong and Heechul quietly.

“Its quite odd to see the town as quiet as this.” Sungmin stated, nodding in thanks as Heechul passed him a drink.

“Its weird for us!” Shindong chuckled. “I don't think I've ever seen the town holed up like this before.”

“You at least don't seem particularly worried. For all this talk of panic and trouble you're don't appear alarmed.”

“Got nothing to be worried about really.” Shindong shrugged.

“It's not like we have anything particularly valuable for this thief to steal. Out of everyone in town, we're not the people the thief is going to be after.” Heechul added, sharp gaze on the banker.

“...I suppose you're right.” Sungmin replied, draining his drink as the feeling of unease just continued to rise.