Company

EunB's last trip

September 7th, 2014, EunB's pov

"EunB" manager said as he walked next to me. I looked at him quickly, but soon my gaze averted towards the unconscious RiSe again. I was so worried about her. My hope was slowly disappearing as she hadn't woken up in days. Yes, I was unable to look after them from only up there. I was unable to guard them as one of those twinkling stars that shone at night, because I couldn't help but to stay by their side in here.

Every day, every night, every second I spent next to them. Manager oppa came with me sometimes, but usually he'd feel too guilty to do that. He was the one driving after all, that's something that really eats your soul. I forgave him as it really wasn't his fault. The car was broken and unfortunately we happened to ride it when it finally broke down. This wasn't because any of us, but maybe it was bound to happen from the heaven's order. I might not be able to ever know the truth, but at least we all didn't die.

I stared at RiSe and I started to wish everything was a dream. That I didn't die, that RiSe would walk to me while happily smiling and would call my name. I would hope Ashley and Zuny could stop crying, because I wasn't really dead. But that wish was too good to be true. I heard when the doctors said that RiSe has a bigger chance to die than survive. I saw how Ashley blamed herself, when the doctor asked her how she felt at the moment. She blamed herself because she was the one that rushed us in to the car after our manager that day.

Zuny only remained quiet as tears slowly dripped down her cheeks and broke my heart. I saw how Sojung found out and how she searched for everything she could find about the accident and my death. She also searched every information she could get about RiSe's state and that only made her anxious.

Only thing I didn't see, was how RiSe reacted to my death. She only slept peacefully in her hospital bed, like a Snow White. A beautiful Snow White, who just needed a kiss to wake up. That got the last hope I had stirring inside of me. I walked towards RiSe and studied her face for awhile, until I leaned towards her and kissed her lips softly.

"Please RiSe, wake up." I begged. "Please stay alive!" I wailed while crying. "I don't mind being alone here since I'm always by your side. Please RiSe, you have to open your eyes, NOW!" I begged once more.

Suddenly all the machines started beeping and doctors came running. "RISE! RISE!!!" I yelled, but of course no one could hear me. "RISE!" I screamed one more time before my legs gave up. The doctors kept doing CPR to her, but nothing happened. I didn't bare to look up from the floor.

I didn't want to see the futile attempts of rescue the doctors' tried, it only showed that it was all too late. I couldn't stop crying because the pain in my heart was too much to bear. I thought my sacrifice was enough, but once again I was proven wrong by the hardest way possible.

"EunB." I suddenly heard someone familiar say. It wasn't manager oppa this time, but a woman's voice. I knew that voice and I didn't want to look up to make sure I was right. I saw the shoes in front of me and that told me the unwanted truth I didn't want to confirm, like a rumor going around the internet. Soon a hand reached to my chin and forcefully lifted my crying face up.

I met RiSe's eyes and I saw that she was all calm like I was when I died.

"EunB, don't cry." She told me and sat down in front of me. She gently wiped my tears with a light smile.

"WHY?!" I managed to shout at her. "WHY DID YOU DIE?!" I shouted again. It must've sounded rude, but I was sure she'd understand what I meant. I didn't want anyone else to die, not even our manager.

"Because I heard a wish. I heard a sincere wish from a girl I cared about. I heard a wish for others' survival, but that silly girl didn't care enough to add herself in it ." She told softly and started to caress my hair. I hadn't even noticed that while I was still crying, I had crept in RiSe unnie's lap, and now she was comforting me.

"I didn't want to leave that silly girl alone." She continued. "You could never know what she'll do in the future."

I felt couple tears landing on the top of my head, like a soft rain on a warm day. Curiously, I looked at up, and saw how RiSe kept her smile even though her tears were clearly visible.

"I'm sorry that I worried you and the others.. It would've been for the best if I had just immediately died like you did. It could have prevented this shock now.. I'm so sorry... You all kept praying for me even though there was no hope... I'm sorry..." She cried, and this time it was my time to comfort her.

"It wasn't your fault." I said as she pressed her head against my chest and cried against me, making my shirt all wet. We sat on the floor, invisible to the others that still lived.

We saw RiSe's parents that came from Japan visiting her dead body. We saw how they almost collapsed after finding out the news. I held RiSe's hand all the time, trying to give her strenght to watch all these happening right in front of us. I had gone through it alone already, but it didn't lessen the tight feeling I had in my heart. It was always so painful to see the people you loved to cry because of you. But there was absolutely nothing we could do at the moment. We couldn't apologize them nor could we try to comfort them. 

"EunB, RiSe. It's time, we should go now." Our manager said from behind us. I was reluctant at first, but RiSe pulled me up and nodded to tell me we had to do it now. Even though we were dead, she still acted more responsible than me. She was only a year older than me, yet it still felt like such a big difference between us. She seemed so mature, so knowing of everything, but I.. I was still a lost kid even if a dead one.

I looked back one last time, and that's when I heard Ashley and Zuny gasp in shock. They were looking directly at our direction as we slowly walked backwards, towards the light behind us. 

"Goodbye. We love you, please life long and healthy." RiSe said and stepped through the light. One tear slipped from my eyes as I watched my fellow band members that had luckily survived.

"Say goodbye to Sojung for us, and please be strong. It's not the end of the world, right?" I tried to say with an cheery voice that didn't work out as I planned. I ran to the light before I'd cry again and make them feel even more sadder than they already were.

I felt bad leaving them like that, and I was sure so did RiSe as well. But if we stayed any longer, I think we wouldn't be able to leave them alone any longer. They had to learn how to survive without us.

Who says ghosts can't feel? Who says ghosts won't stay with their beloved ones? I will, and no doubt RiSe won't do it with me. All you can do right now, is to believe in my words. You might not be able to see us, but here we are, guarding our loved ones as their guardian angels.

Maybe one day, you are able to see us among all the passing people, smiling and waving towards you.

Maybe one day, we'll meet.

 

 


So this was supposed to be a one-shot, but after I woke up and read the news about RiSe, I couldn't leave it be. I had to write this bad feeling away from me, and believe me, I cried while I wrote this. It was tragic as I sincerely believed RiSe could make it so we wouldn't have to mourn for another tragic death. I'm not surprised that I was wrong, I'm always wrong, but this time it feels so awful....

R.I.P. EunB, R.I.P. RiSe, stay strong Ladies' Code, we are all very sad for your loss. 

My greatest condolences to the girls' families,

Omona_