The Letter E

Affection for the Pure
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan stood in front of the mirror, clad in a black shirt and grey skinny jeans. His white hair fell lifelessly over his eyes, shielding his pale forehead. A worried look lingered in his eyes; and guilt raged in his heart.

He didn't want to go out with Yixing.

Since he had been born, there had only been one person in the entire world that the omega had truly, deeply loved; his mate, his Sehun. Even if the other had long passed away, part of Luhan's soul still believed that they would meet once.

Day by day, the cruel hope that filled his entire being faded away.

And just like that, day by day, his will to live was faltering.

But he couldn't give up: not when he had friends and a mother and children to take care of. Not when he led a fairly normal life, save for the fact that he was mourning his mate.

"I have to do this..." he whispered to his reflection."I have to. I'm sorry Sehun. I love you.." A tear slid down his cheek as a bitter smile tugged at the edges of his lips.

Yixing was almost home, and quickly, the start of their date was approaching.

It meant two things for the crushed omega:

He had to leave... and move on.

*****

Through the woods and the city, a tall figure was dashing, eyes a deathly crimson. Thin lips curled into a wicked grin as the scent of his mate finally crept into the beast's senses, clouding them one by one."Mine!" he growled lowly, threateningly."Mine!" and he was almost shouting, long legs carrying him through the concrete jungle by ease.

He had wanted to come for his little bad boy in his real form, but he knew all too well that it would have drawn too much attention. Dressed in simple clothes, he almost seemed to belong there.

But he did not, and his mate didn't, either.

*****

"Su, are you sure it was him?" Baekhyun asked quietly, eyes set on the corner their alpha used to sleep at. Just some hours ago, he had suddenly stormed out of the den, seething in rage. The omega, not quite understanding what was going on, had decided to question his son further about who he'd met while being with humans.

Just a week ago, little Minsu had returned. He had gained some weight and his fur was glowing - and cherry-scented. But for some odd reason, he refused to talk about what had happened to him. However, the moment Sehun had left, the Minsu suddenly started rambling about how he had met Luhan, who refused to go back to the pack for some odd reason, and that he was scared for his friend.

It was obvious that the alpha was after his mate.

"Yes, mom.." the younger whispered softly, nuzzling close to his mother."I actually spent a lot of time with him... but he never let me talk about the pack. I have no idea what happened but.. He looks so weird, too."

"Weird?" Baekhyun tilted his head to the side, puzzled at the expression the bronze-furred youngling had chosen."What kind of weird, Su?"

"I don't know, mom.." Minsu said softly. pursing his lips a little."I mean... It's like he doesn't know if he really should come back... I don't know. And his hair is different now, it's all white..."

"White?" The older's eyes widened remarkably as he looked right into his youngest's eyes."Sweetie, are you sure his hair is white? Did he dye it?"

"I don't know.." Minsu bit into his lower lip."I mean.. at first his hair was kind of orange still, but different from before.. I asked him about why it's so odd but he said it must have been how he spent so much time out in the sun... Although I don't know, Luhan has changed a lot.."

Baekhyun nodded slowly."Su, we will have to go to the city, alright sweetie? We have to find Luhan before Sehun finds him and snap him out of it or.."

"Or what?" Minsu was quivering in fear as he the pure fright in his mother's eyes."What's going on?"

"I'm not sure but if Sehun ran off because of Luhan and not something else... it can't mean any good."

*****

Luhan smiled politely at Yixing as the other took his hand, intertwining their fingers gently.

"Don't expect anything fancy," the human started with a sheepish smile stretched across his lips." Just a walk and some wine in a cheap diner. It seems better than watching a crappy movie, doesn't it?"

Luhan nodded slowly, feeling somewhat uncomfortable. He tried his hardest to force himself to smile happily, but it felt like the edges of his lips were being pressed down: no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't pretend to be happy.

Not when he wasn't.

Weirdly enough, Yixing didn't seem to notice that something was off about his friend and started talking excitedly about the diner he had found. Luhan didn't quite pay attention to him: his head was pounding with each beat of his heart; and suddenly he felt very, very heavy.

*****

The figure's eyes finally settled on his mate's figure, a new wave of rage hitting him when his gaze fell on his hand that was held by someone else idly, fingers laced.

A low growl erupted from the creature's chest, but he made no move to separate the two: not yet. He was waiting for the perfect opportunity to rid the Earth of the human that had dared to lay its filthy hands on his mate. It shouldn't have even had the chance to inhale the same air as the serene beauty so close to him and yet...

Yet they were touching.

Slowly, he got closer. Step by step, the need in him to claim his mate once again grew stronger and stronger.

*****

Luhan tensed up, feeling like he was being watched. He bit into his lower lips as he struggled to focus on Yixing, vision blurring a little."Xing, I don't feel so good.." he whispered weakly."I'm so sorry..." he added, seeing the devastated look on the other's face.

"Lu, are you okay?" Yixing worriedly steadied the swaying boy, eyes widening when he saw the latter's eyes fall shut."Luhan, can you hear me? Luhan!"

The only reply he received was a weak whine coming from dry lips.

"N...no.." the omega whispered."So dizzy."

Yixing was panicking inwardly, slowly lying the boy down on a nearby bench. He put something under Luhan's head and tried to coax him into opening his eyes, ready to call an ambulance if needed. He had noticed before that something was wrong with the boy; but he never dared to mention it.

Pasts weren't meant to be talked about in some cases, and Luhan's seemed to be one of them.

*****

The creature snarled when he saw his mate falter, then practically collapse right into the stranger's awaiting arms. He felt worry and fury course through his veins, but he waited patiently right until the pale omega lay safely on a wooden bench.

With slow but sure steps he made his way to the other, a growl escaping his lips when he saw the human shift in front of his mate.

"Mine." he said simply, eyes falling on the omega whose breaths came in labored gasps.

*****

Just that one word made Luhan's word turn upside down once more. Sick and weak, he managed to push himself up into a sitting position and let out a choked cry, eyes widening.

Tears were quickly blurring his vision as he was pulled into a strong, familiar chest. For a moment, he felt like life was perfect again.

"Y..you.." he whispered weakly, knees going weak as he struggled to wrap his arms clumsily around his mate's neck."Sehun...Sehun, you're alive!" he exclaimed. weakly.

His mate shot him a small smile, pulling him even closer. He said nothing; just held the small omega, his gaze wandering to Yixing who was staring at them, clearly confused.

*****

A genuine smile bloomed on Sehun's lips as once more, he finally got control of his body: relieved to find his little omega alive and unharmed. His eyes slipped shut as he inhaled his mate's scent, glad that they were together once more.

But something didn't feel quite right. Luhan was frail in his arms, barely strong enough to keep his lithe body up. And as the alpha's eyes fluttered open once more, he could see that his appearance had changed remarkably as well. He was thin and pale, cheeks now flushed a brilliant red and stained with tears.. It was his hair that alarmed Sehun: it was white as snow, but messy and dull, obviously not so pale in color because of being dyed.

No. Luhan was fading; and he was fading fast.

*****

Hunnie.." Luhan whispered weakly, his eyes half shut as he leant his head against his mate. They were dashing through the forest at a rapid peace, the alpha holding his mate close to his chest."Hunnie.." the small boy whispered once again when he received no response.

"Rest, Lu..." Sehun said softly, stopping for a moment to lean down and peck his tiny mate's sweaty hair."You look awful." he was trying to be playful but worry seemed to lace each of his words as he picked up his pace, holding the white-haired boy closer.

"You're alive.." said omega whispered weakly, nuzzling his face in the other's chest even more. He was exhausted and was barely able to keep his eyes open, but he was petrified of falling asleep: he was scared that he was merely dreaming now, and if he dared to let his eyes slip shut, his beloved mate was going to disappear. He still couldn't believe that his mate was well and that he hadn't even been hurt during the long months they had spent apart.

"Of course I am. I have no idea who told you that I wasn't!" the alpha let a small smile dance in the corner of his lips, letting out a relived sigh when he finally reached their den. Baekhyun was in the entrance, eyes widening when he finally spotted them.

"I was just about to go, but Chanyeol wouldn't let me. Su told me that something was wrong with Luhan and..." he didn't finish his sentence, gaze focusing on the pale omega in Sehun's arms."I guess I was right.."

"What can we do?" Sehun asked softly as carefully, he moved into the den and laid his mate down on the ground, making sure to a small pillow made from soft fur - he had been hunting  a lot lately to just to calm the raging beast inside him - under his head.

"Wait. You two are back together so.. Maybe Soo can make something that will help him...anything to make him a bit stronger. It's a battle only the two of you can fight." Baekhyun trotted away, looking back at the pair with a sorrowful look in his eyes."Poor things.."

Sehun let out a shaky breath, brushing some hair out of his mate's half-shut eyes."Even like this, you are so beautiful.." he whispered softly, a smile tugging at the ends of his lips when a tiny hand shot up; only to be laid on top of his, quivering but warm.

"I bet." Luhan whispered weakly." I... I don't know what happened.." he admitted shakily, biting into his lower lip."I mean.."

"Don't." Sehun said simply."I hope the human won't figure out what we are, though. He seemed quite terrified of me even though you managed to make up such a smart little lie on the spot. I'm proud of you, darling."

"I doubt he'll ever know that I lied to him.." the small omega sighed quietly, guilt twinkling in his eyes."I feel kinda bad for saying that my parents wanted me back and all when.."

"Well, you didn't quite lie about that part.." Sehun pointed out, pecking his mate's forehead as he lay down as well."They went home when you disappeared but.. your mother was incredibly sad and your brother kept trying to look for you. It was very.. hard to see them like that. I'm pretty sure that if they somehow find out about what had happened, they will rush here as quickly as they can. Well, as long as your father wants to.. I'm not sure about him, honestly." he pulled Luhan close, kissing his forehead, then his nose and cheeks, hands roaming across the omega's bare arms. His touches were sweet and innocent like the sweet spring breezes. He merely wanted to reassure his small mate that everything was going to be alright from then on.

A few minutes passed as Luhan nuzzled closer to the alpha, a tiny whine escaping his parted lips."I don't want to talk about them now. Everything is back to normal and...that's all I want to think about.."

It was heart-wrenching how he didn't seem to notice just how wrong he had been. Sehun knew very well that his mate's life was in dire danger: and it had been him who had caused it.

Omegas who lost their mates - or were tricked into believing that they had lost them by foreign packs who wanted to weaken the usually fierce alphas or betas - could fade away easily without them noticing. It was a natural mourning process for them: deathly but slow. Most of the time, its only obvious sign was how their eyes or hair would lose color or how they would get thinner as time would pass.

Sehun had seen it happen before and he didn't want his mate to perish from it: especially not when they were back together; and they had a chance to live peacefully.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter