Fin

You're the one I'm looking for

I hope you're ready for this coz its a word count of 9,036. My longest oneshot yet. xD

 


 

Light graces his face as he reaches the top. His head pops out of the dusty chimney and he breathes a lungful of fresh air. He pulls himself out of narrow hole and arranges himself sitting on his client’s rooftop. With his not so clean handkerchief he wipes the sweat off his face and doesn’t even bother to clean his dirt filled hands since they’ll be dirty once he goes back home. His eyes survey the vast kingdom and eyes focused on the magnificent Castle.

The castle as always stood majestic for the entire world to see. When he was young he always wanted to see the inside of it. He thinks that part of him yearns to go into the castle like he’s being called there. But then they always say he’s a dreamer. Only fools dream to go into the castle.

“Well, I can be happy fool atleast.” He says.

He descends from his perch on nimble feet. Jumping from ledge off the other like a cat a thief would be proud of and lands as graceful as his long limbs can allow. Well he tries to be graceful.

“Ah! You boy! Are you done cleaning?”

“Yes sir. I hope it is to your liking?” He beams up to the stout man who owns the local bookstore nearby.

“Aye, of course! You clean ‘em good boy.” The man hands out a twelve silver pieces of coins and a black leather bound book. “Here is your pay Chanyeol and I do reckon how you love to read ‘em old stories ayt? I found this one drawing in cobwebs and dust mites and thought you can have a go at reading this.”

He accepts the coins placing them on a small pouch where the rest of his earnings are kept and the book, bids farewell to the bookkeeper and proceeds to go home. He tucks the book safely on his worn out bag and carries his brooms on his back. Carefully Chanyeol treks home without being seen. He doesn’t mind being covered in dust but he do minds people smelling him of smoke. One little girl came close to him once and she has a coughing fit from the smoky smell.

He arrives home in a small rundown apartment with his body aching from cleaning chimneys all day. He was about to go inside when a rough hand yank his lanky body away from the door slamming him into the wall.

“Hello there trash.” Chanyeol looks into the eyes of his landlord Jomok. “Do you have the money now?”

“Yes but it’s not much.” He takes the small pouch out of his pocket to which the older man snatched from him. Jomok took out all the coins and counted giving Chanyeol a disgusted face right after. “This is all you got brat? Didn’t I tell you to give me more? You are in debt to me and now I’m asking you to pay up.”

“I…I’ll try to pay next time.”

The landlord gave him a harsh shrug with threats of sending him off to a slave market if he doesn’t pay up soon. He quickly comes inside his little home and slumps down onto the ground. Maybe I should leave. Runaway from all this and live a different life. He was contemplating on doing so when a loud thump echoed outside of his door. Aw crap is he back again?

He wearily stood up and opens the door only to find a gorgeous blonde man with cat ears and a tail passed out infront of his door step.

“Well this is new.”

Their kingdom has stories about magical creatures like Dragons but no one mentioned about human cats.

“Maybe I’m hallucinating.” He stares back down at the slumbering man/cat on the floor and nods to himself. “Yep. Definitely hallucinating.” He closes the door and slowly walks away from it only to trip on his feet in thin air and lands on flat on his face.

“Uuugh. Stupid floor!” Chanyeol rubs his nose while going to fetch some water. He goes about doing his daily chores, cleaning and sweeping his tiny home which is more like a room. Washes up and gets dressed in clean clothes finally getting rid of all the filth he acquired from his job. He collapses on his bunk which is too small for his long legs.

He was about to close his eyes when he remembered about the book. He takes it out of his bag and carefully inspects it. The black leather cover has somewhat a faint embossment of two creatures in the front cover. He can’t exactly tell what it is because the design is so light you can only see it when you trace them using your fingers. He opens the book and finds no title, he flips the page finding it blank, and he flips it again and again only to find that the book is blank. Though on the last page there was finally a written script.

Burn this book.

“Okay. This is weird. First that man cat and now this book.”

Whoever owned this must’ve hated this. He stood up and crouched down next to the fireplace and threw the book in the burning coal.

“I’ll respect the previous owners wish then.”

He watches as the flames dance as it envelops the book in a blanket of flames. He has always felt comfort being near fire. It’s the very reason why he chooses to be a chimney sweeper. It’s feeling the warmth of the previous fire whenever he places his palms into the hearth of the fireplace. The smell of smoke lingering in the stone walls and traces of cracks in the worn out stones from the heat calms him.

He stares at the flames flickering about and for one fleeting moment he thought he saw a bird of flames dancing it in. He blinks his eyes and shakes his head.

“Today is really a weird day.”

A loud thump once again broke him from his thoughts and he directs his attention to the door. Slowly he opens it and sees nothing insight. He steps out and looks around with no signs of life anywhere near his house.

“Maybe I’m going crazy.” He steps inside and freezes seeing the tall man with cat ears earlier inside his room. “You..what are you –”

Before finishing his sentence the cat-person swiftly jumps at him sniffing his neck. Straightens up and looks him in the eye. “Finally I found you.”

“Um. Am I dreaming? Are you some weird concoction my smoke infused brained came up with?”

“You are Phoenix.”

“No, my name is Chanyeol. Is your name crazy?”

“Phoenix must help me.”

“Listen kitty, first off, I am not a Phoenix. Secondly, this is probably a stupid dream and lastly why are you a cat?”

“Evil Prince turned me into a cat. Grandmother says that only Phoenix can turn me back into a dragon.”

“……You are saying that you’re not a cat but a dragon? Yes?”

“Yes Phoenix.”

“Okay. Then prove it to me. Breathe fire.”

“I can’t. I’m a cat.”

“So you really are a cat.”

“No. I’m a dragon you can’t understand?”

“But you just said you are a cat!”

“Yes.”

“So you’re not a dragon but a cat.”

“No. I am a dragon. Why can’t you understand?”

“BECAUSE YOU CAN’T DECIDE WHICH ONE ARE YOU!”

“Didn’t I just told you?”

“I DON’T GET YOU AT ALL!”

“ Phoenix why are you so dumb?”

Chanyeol stares dumbly at the man declaring he’s a dragon when clearly he’s cat and wishes a black hole will swallow him. The other one on the other hand is frowning at him, clear disappointment showing on his face.

“Excuse me for a second.” Chanyeol smiles at him and turns around to face the door and forcefully slams his head making him see stars. He rubs the pain away with his fingers and turnabout hoping to see no more hallucinations. But well, things never work out for him as always.

There standing in all his glory the same guy with pretty blonde hair and handsome face looking at him worriedly with one ear down and tail in his hands. It looks….cute.

“Is something wrong with the Phoenix?” It asked.

“Yes. Something is definitely wrong. And I’m not Phoenix. I’m Chanyeol.”

“But Yifan thinks you are the Phoenix.” It says with his ears all flatten down on his head.

“Wait. Is your name Yifan?”

Yifan gives him a nod with a bowed head and its tail curling onto his own hands for comfort.

“I’m sorry Yifan but I’m not a Phoenix.”

The cat looks up at him looking extremely dejected and Chanyeol thinks that Yifans eyes are starting to look like one of those wet kitties drenched in the rain looking so small and fragile.

“Really. I’m not a Phoenix. I can’t help you.”

To think that an over six feet tall person with cat ears having a full blown helpless kitty look can make Chanyeol’s knees shake. Get a grip Chanyeol! He breathes deeply trying to gather all the amount of logic and rationalization to his brain. He was seriously gonna refuse the other one but damn that kitty eyes is just too strong. He grunts in defeat.

“Okay, listen.” Yifan’s left ear twitches and for some reason Chanyeol wants to sink his hands into those fluffy soft fur and scratch them. Damnit Chanyeol! Focus! “I’m pretty sure I’m not a Phoenix but if it makes you feel good then I’ll help you find him…or it.”

“Really?” The cat blinks at him until a slow smile spread on his face showing his full teeth and gums. It’s quite endearing actually.

“Well yeah but you have to tell me what happened from the start.” He tiredly took a seat and motions the other one to take do the same. Yifan nods eagerly his tail now swishing back and forth in delight. “You should probably start by introducing yourself first.”

“Alright. My name is Yifan and I work at the castle as a servant.” Chanyeol could feel his eyes bulge out. Not everyone can work in the castle and he always wanted to see what the inside would look like. “I live there in the servant’s quarters together with my grandmother. My father died before I was born due to being sick while my mother died in childbirth. I grew up in the castle trained to be a servant and I don’t mind it as long as I’m with my grandmother.

“Lately, I’ve been experiencing some weird things like somehow I’m stronger and can control fire. There was even a time where I feel like jumping off the window to fly. I was scared but grandmother smiled and says it’s alright. She told me to never tell anyone about it.”

“What did your grandmother say?”

“She didn’t really tell me anything about it except that I’ll know when it’s time. I didn’t know who I was until the prince came to summon me.”

“The prince? Prince Yu?”

“Yeah. He summoned me for some reason. I’ve never met him before because I worked at the lower grounds. He said that he is the crowned prince and therefore the crown belongs to him. This is pretty much common sense I think but he said I was getting in the way. He said that he’s the only dragon in the kingdom and it stays that way. At first I was confused too but then when he said dragon I thought, maybe that’s what I really am.”

“Wait!” Chanyeol interrupts the other one, disbelief evident on his face. “He’s saying you’re a dragon too?”

“Yeah.”

“But…only members of the royal families are dragons.”

“I know. I didn’t get that part either but for sure he really knew I was one and he tried to kill me. I thought he was gonna turn into a dragon but instead he used an incantation or something and next thing I knew he hit me with a bolt of black lightning. It hurts but before I realized what I was doing I was already running away and escaping from the castle. I only realized halfway that I suddenly sprouted ears and a tail.”

“So…how come you’re finding the phoenix?”

“Grandmother used to tell me a story when I was a kid about the dragon and a phoenix. She said tha—” before Yifan could finish his sentence though his head wiped so fast to the right and suddenly he sprang off from his seat as his eyes locked on to a mouse that was trying to get some crumbs of the floor. Chanyeol stares with his mouth hanging as Yifan chases the mouse all over his room knocking everything off in its path.

Chanyeol spends the night scolding a scowling Yifan, who wasn’t able to get his prey, and cleaning up the mess the cat made.

 

 

It was in the middle of the night when Chanyeol woke up with huge man slash cat curled up beside him on his bed with Yifan’s nose pressed to the side of his neck. He has no idea how this happened and he was about to move away when the cat nuzzled his face on his chest sending him an electrifying buzz though his body, it also doesn’t help that Yifan curled its tail securely on Chanyeol’s waist.

The human sighs and gives up. He stares at the cat and ponders that no matter how bizarre Yifan’s story is, he believes him and although Yifan never gets to finish why the Phoenix is so important he feels like he should stay with the cat no matter what.

With some hesitation, Chanyeol finally rakes his hands through Yifan’s hair relishing the softness of his blonde locks under his palm. He scratches the backside of the cat’s ears earning him a purr which makes his heart rumble with happiness. He kept on petting and scratching Yifan contentedly and he was about to fall asleep when Yifan look up at him with his pretty eyes. There’s some sort of strange feeling like he’s being drawn in, like a magnet that pulls him to the other one. With their faces inches away from each other, Chanyeol thought about how nice it would be to kiss the other one. He was about to close his eyes and move in closer when Yifan’s pupils tuned into slits. The cat bolts straight up and moved closer to the window.

“They found us.”

“What?”

“Get dressed! They’re coming and we have to leave.”

“Wait.. what who’s coming?”

Yifan didn’t answer instead started putting some necessities onto Chanyeol’s bag. The human realizing the threat in the air started to put on some clothes, he was about to walk up to Yifan when he noticed something in the fireplace. He moved closer and picked up the black leather book he threw into the fire earlier unscathed and not burnt at all. Yifan yanked him away that moment before he could ponder on about it. He securely puts the book in the bag as they started running off to the kingdom gates.

“Where are we going?”

“I don’t know.”

“Then why are we running?” Instead of answering Yifan turned his head to look at Chanyeol and looked beyond the human. The other one looked behind him and saw a hoard of black bats coming at them. Chanyeol almost stopped running if not for Yifan and his claws gripping his wrist tightly.

“What the hell are those!?”

“Probably the Prince’s minions or something. We have to get out of the kingdom, it’s not safe here for us.”

 They both ran outside the kingdom’s walls and dived into the forest but the bats were still on their tails. Yifan suddenly stopped, ears high on alert and tail stiff.

“Hey, why’d we stopped?” Hundreds of bats were now zooming in close, only a few feet away from them.

“This way!” The cat yanks Chanyeol off to left, avoiding the shrubberies and sharp branches from trees. The entered a clearing with stream going up north however instead of going forward Yifan yanked him again to the direction of the west where clearly there’s a mountain that will block their path.

“Yifan! That’s gonna be a dead end!”

“I can smell him.”

“What?”

“It’s here.”

They both reach the end of the path to which Chanyeol was right being a dead end but the cat however was looking quite relieved. He dragged the human to a part of the mountain with vines in them, abruptly shoving the latter first. Chanyeol closed his eyes bracing himself for impact of the hard wall of earth but instead fell through a veil of vines and tumbled down to soft bushes. He sat up looking around, the place was some sort of cave-like passageway filled with vines, wild flowers and some greeneries. It’s not a long passageway he sums up upon seeing a huge opening not a few feet away. As he stood up, Yifan suddenly fell through the veil of vines but instead of getting up the cat lays motionless on the ground.

“Yifan!” He quickly knelt down and saw that Yifan has a huge gash on his back with blood soaking his clothes. “Oh no!” He doesn’t have any medicine or cloth in his bag, he needs to find someone quick before the wound gets infected.

“That looks quite awful.” Chanyeol almost jumped upon hearing another person’s voice.

“Who..who are you?” He looks at the newcomer who seems quite harmless with his dazed dreamy look and his charming dimple standing at the other side of the passageway.

“Me? I’m Lay. You?”

“Err..Chanyeol.”

“Hello Chanyeol.”

“Um hi. Can you help us?”

“Hmmm.. Help with?”

“Err..With Yifan’s wounds.”

“Yifan is who?”

“He’s this guy.” Chanyeol feels like he’s talking to a five year old stuck in a man’s body. “He’s wounded badly and were being chased by…oh my god! I almost forgot we need to get away from here! The bats probably must’ve done this to him we need to get to safety!”

“Bats?” Lay tilts his head in confusion.

“Uuuuugh! Can you just please help me carry him?”

“Sure.” The other man smiled and promptly helped Chanyeol carry Yifan who weighs like a bull. How the heck is this cat so heavy?

“We need to find a place to hide.”

“We can hide in my house if you like.”

“Good! Lead the way!”

“It’s this way!” Without warning Lay smiled and dropped Yifan and bounced away pointing the direction of his house leaving Chanyeol carrying all of Yifan’s weight.

“Oooooof. Lay come back. I – I can’t – carry this – guy alone.” Chanyeol grunts off.

“Oh. Okay.”

The both dragged Yifan inside Lay’s house not far off the passageway. Once inside, they laid the cat down in the carpet and Chanyeol collapsed beside him. Lay on the other hand didn’t forget his manners and calmly brewed tea for his guest much to Chanyeol’s exasperation.

The two cleaned Yifan’s wounds and dressed it but somehow no matter how much treatment they give the cat the wound keeps on bleeding.

“Why isn’t this working?”

“It’s probably because it’s poisoned.”

“What?!”

“Yep.”

“What do we do then? What if those bats come here? What if they kill us!” Chanyeol panics at the thought of dying from being attack by ravenous bats. His panic was stopped when Yifan’s tail curled tightly on his wrist. He looks down on the wounded cat that’s looking at him softly. “Yifan!”

“Phoenix.” The cat said hoarsely.

“Shhh, don’t talk you need to rest.”

“It’s okay. The mage is here. He can be of help to us.”

“The mage?”

Both of them looked up at Lay who was smiling down at the both of them. “Ahh I never knew I could meet you both one day.”

“Mage?” Chanyeol asked the dimpled man.

“Yes.”

“You’re a mage?”

“Yes.”

“You have powers?”

“Yes.”

“Then you can defeat the bats!”

“No.”

“Ehhh. Why?”

“Because I’m a white mage.”

“What?” Chanyeol said looking dumbfounded while Lay giggles.

“White mages don’t fight. We heal the wounded and enhance abilities. I believe those bats are done by a black mage, a very strong one at that.”

“Oh, wait! Then you can heal Yifan then?”

“I’ll try. I still haven’t been able to practice my healing skills since I live alone and I don’t get wounded often.”

Chanyeol nods as Lay knelt down beside the wounded cat. The white mage took a deep breath, let his hands hover over the wound and started chanting.

                “Lights of the sky, in my hands arise. Mend thy flesh and heal thy wounds. In these words let my power shine.”

In a flash, Lay’s hands glowed bright and just when the light turned so bright it suddenly fizzled out. Chanyeol looked at Yifan’s wounds that still hasn’t healed and looked back at a very dazed Lay who seems to be amazed.

“That’s it?”

“Yep. That’s it. I never practiced healing spells anyways. Atleast I was able to create a little light.” He beams to the other one being pleased with himself.

“So you can’t heal him?” Chanyeol asked deflatedly.

“Actually, we can still heal him. I’ll have to brew him a potion!” Lay said brightly.

 

They both deposited Yifan into a bedroom after Lay explaining that no black magic can enter through that passageway for his ancestors have enchanted it since long ago. It calmed Chanyeol knowing that they’re no longer in immediate danger and so he helped Lay in making the potion.

“Listen, I’ve never made a healing potion with an antidote for bat poison so I’ll just have to make this up while we go further along, okay?” Lay says brightly much to Chanyeol’s horror.

Lay instructed the other one to fetch some water and boil it while he gathers some ingredients. Chanyeol never saw so many weird stuff in his life with all the materials that Lay is pulling out of the cupboards.

“Let’s see.” The mage stirs the boiling cauldron of hot water and delightedly nods in satisfaction. “Temperatures’ about right.” He grabs a green bottle and pours some contents into the cauldron. “Plentiful splashes of liquid emerald.” He then grabs a few more bits and pieces of items off jars and bottles all pouring them in the pot.

“A pair of dragonfly wings, a pinch of Alder dust, three spoonfuls of rose water, five measure of graveyard soil, a cup of rotten beeswax.” The more Lay adds into the pot the more Chanyeol grimaces and feels his stomach lurching. “A good measure of crushed dried bull’s .” Chanyeol almost puked at that one while covering his groin reflexively. “And for the final ingredient…Hmmmm.”

Lay looked at Chanyeol with a glint in his eyes and motions him to come close. “The final ingredient is very crucial.” He says and grabs the latter’s hand stretching it out above the cauldron. Without warning Lay grabbed a needle and pricked the other who yelped in surprise. Three drops of blood was added into the pot.

“I’m sorry.” He doesn’t look sorry at all, in fact he looks delighted as he stirs the pot. “I really needed your blood as final ingredient.”

“Why?”

“Well, if the other ingredients will fail then your blood will be the last resort.” Lay smiled and said nothing more.

They went into Yifan’s room and woke the other one up. A worried Chanyeol looks over the injured cat, more scared of the potion than the poison in the latter’s body seeing that it now turned into a deep brown coffee color. Lay on the other hand looked so happy at his creation and hands the cup over to Yifan urging him to gulp it all down. Well, apparently, the potion did work as the cat’s wound stopped bleeding. On the bad side, Yifan was knocked out unconscious, fainting after drinking the potion.

“Is…Is there gonna be any side effects?”

“I’m not sure but it has your blood so its fine.”

“What’s the deal with my blood?” Chanyeol asked puzzled.

“Well, it’s not as strong as flames or tears but its still Phoenix blood.”

“Phoenix? Wait, Yifan also said I was a phoenix!”

“Because you probably are one.”

“But…How?”

“I don’t know. But I do know is you are one since the dragon found you and also you have this faint burnt smell.” Lay crinkles his nose.

“What?” The mage shrugs not being of any help at all. “Why does a dragon need a phoenix?”

“According to my grandparents, the phoenix only appears when a true dragon is born. It has to do with the kingdoms legend or something. You should probably look into that book of yours since it has a phoenix and a dragon drawn on it.”

“Book? What book?”

Lay goes out of the room and comes back with the black leather book Chanyeol brought with him. “This book fell of your bag when you first came in. It’s enchanted so not everyone can read it.” He gives the book back to Chanyeol who frowns at him.

“It’s blank.”

“It’s made to look that way. I can’t read it though.” The other one sadly traces the two faint drawings on the book that he now realized is the dragon and phoenix. “But you can.”

“What?” Chanyeol looks up the white mage who seems to be yet again delighted.

“Didn’t it say to burn it?”

“I did. I threw it into the fireplace but nothing happened.”

“No. Not like that, it’s meant to be burned so you can read it.”

“That’s absurd!”

“It’s actually genius if you ask me. Only a dragon or phoenix can read it I think.”

“How?”

“You burn it.”

“But I don’t know how and I’m barely a phoenix! I don’t show any powers except stink like burnt wood.”

After much coaxing from a persistent and calm Lay, Chanyeol finally relents and tries to use his ‘dormant powers’ as the other points out. He closed his eyes and thinks about flames, inviting and warm. Suddenly, the room felt warm and he opened his eyes when he heard the mage gasp. There in his hands is the black leather bound book burning, what’s amazing is that the phoenix and dragon design in the front is now dancing together in the flames.

“You did it!”

“I..I did. Wow.”

“Read it!”

And so he did.

                Long ago, back when the land was fresh and new, there lived a Dragon that governs all the land. The dragon watched over the people and laid waste to all that dares to destroy the occupants of his land. The dragon prided himself with the treasures that people have given him. The people adored the dragon and hailed it as their king, however, none of them were brave enough to come near him in fear. The dragon yearned company and warmth from others as it is lonely to be the only one of his kind. Thinking that he is feared due to his beastly form the dragon transformed himself into a man, so the people may no longer fear him. As a human, the dragon has let himself be loved and fallen in love, as he selected a beautiful lady to be his queen he unintentionally killed her with his kiss. No human can ever withstand a dragon’s flames and does the woman that he loved died. The dragon hid himself in the mountains never again showing himself to the people.

                Time passed and the dragon only grew lonely and cold. The only thing that has kept him warm is his own fire. His only company is the flames that he created. One day, a brave man who was kind enough to pity the dragon came up to him and offered him some company. The man pointed out that the dragon’s flames are truly powerful and it’s the only thing that can withstand him. After realizing what the man has said, he had an idea that is beyond anything to be imagined. With the help of a man, he gathered all things good, pure and radiant, he threw in the gold and precious items his people gave him and forged it with his fire. He finished his creation at the same time that the sun has risen and there laid before him is his most precious treasure created by the love from his people and power of his own fire. A majestic flaming bird he called ‘the Phoenix’.

                Now with his phoenix by his side the dragon grew old to be happy and contented. As his life was dwindling away, he summoned the man that has helped him bring joy into his life. As gift for the man’s bravery and kind heart, the dragon gave a part of his powers onto the man telling him to protect the land in his place. The dragon spends his last moments gazing lovingly at the phoenix by his side. As he dragon’s life fades away, so as the lovely phoenix with a promise to return whenever the dragon will need it the most.

                The man became king, fulfilling his promise to the dragon. He ruled the land just like the dragon did and gave up his throne to his son that showed the most power and qualities of a dragon, thus creating a tradition that those that are born with best dragon qualities will become king.

                This went on and on until a generation failed to produce a male heir. The king refused to acknowledge the princess as heir to the throne even though there are traces of dragon’s power in her. As the queen cannot bear a child due to an illness, the king resorted in sleeping with concubines hoping that one would produce a male heir. Alas, the king has found himself a male heir who also shows some potential powers of that of a dragon.

As the two siblings grew, it is apparent that the princess is more powerful than of the prince. She grew independent and strong much to the prince’s dismay. Due to the princess’ bold nature and wild personality she was often sent to be locked up in a tower. She grew lonely and cold until one day, a servant boy came and gave her treats from the kitchen. It wasn’t long until both of them fell in love with each other. They grew up together, stole kisses behind closets and midnight escapades under the moonlight. The prince however found out about this and told the king. Furious the king sent his guards to kill the servant and lock the princess up in the tower.

Servant was executed under the pretense of treason. The king ordered to have a separate tower built for the princess to be locked up forever. Unbeknownst to them, the princess is pregnant with her lovers’ child. The servants all sided with the princess and helped her though her pregnancy keeping it a secret. The day the princess gave birth was also the day where the prince became king.

It is also the day where the powers of a dragon stopped flowing through the royal family.

 

“What?” Chanyeol watches as the flames dies out after reading the last sentence.

“Hmmmmm... Interesting.”

“Wait. Why did the powers stopped?”

“Isn’t it simple? Only the true heir can give off the powers to his successors.”

“And….the true heir was the princess!”

“Yeah, so apparently the princess’ child is the next heir.”

“So the next heir is…Yifan?! He told me about his family background being raised with servants.”

They both looked at the passed out cat. “I guess.”

“Can you do something with the cat curse?”

“Nope. It’s pretty powerful and as I said, I haven’t practiced my powers at all. All I do is make potions. Should we give it a try?” Lay says excitedly?

Chanyeol immediately refused fearing for Yifan’s life is might be in more danger in the hands of Lay and his ‘creations’.

 

 

When the cat finally woke up, Chanyeol explained to him their newfound discovery. Although Yifan doesn’t wholly agree on being labeled as the true heir and real prince, he does want to go back to his old self.

“I think we need to go back and defeat the prince because he’s pretty much hell bent on trying to get rid of you and maybe that’s the only way to turn you back being normal again.”

“How?”The cat said with a pout his ears flat on his head.

He’s acting all moody now. Chanyeol thinks which is pretty cute considering Yifan can be compared to a giant instead of a fluffy kitten. “You have to expose him to the people.”

“But he’s a dragon too.”

“How can you be so sure? We’ve never seen his powers. He might not be a dragon for all we know and just uses black magic to make people think he’s one.”

“Okay but how do we defeat him?”

“Um, we could ask the princess?”

“I don’t really think my mother was a princess and she passed away a long time ago. So we have no means to prove if your theory is wrong.”

“Okay, then.” Chanyeol thinks hard and suddenly turns to the cat with a bright smile. “The servants! They helped the princess so they must’ve known something!”

“We could ask my grandmother.”

 

 

 

 

With Lay’s help they slipped inside the kingdom without being caught. What greeted them was a frantic to and fro from the townsfolk. They asked around and found out that the Prince’s coronation was to be held that day. The king passed away the day Yifan and Chanyeol left and it seems that the Prince is in a rush to take the crown.

“How did the king died?”

“They said he died in his sleep.” Lay pipes up. He insisted on going with them saying he always wanted to go to the kingdom and he would probably be of good help when they get in trouble.

“We should focus on infiltrating the castle guys.” Chanyeol tells his two companions. They’re now situated as the side entrance of the castle where food was being delivered. He tries to think of a plan that he doesn’t notice Lay walking up to the guards and talked to them.

“We need to think of a plan.”

“Hmmm..Hey I think –” Yifan says as he eyes Lay now jovially smiling at the guards.

“Something that won’t get us caught.”

“Chanyeol I think –” Lay now turns his head back to them smiling ear to ear.

“Something that won’t be so dangerous.”

“Chanyeol we should –” Lay motions them to follow him.

“Something that won’t make us suspicious. Something – hey! What are you doing!” Yifan grabs Chanyeol and drags him inside following Lay.

“Or we just followed Lay who got us safe passage.”

“Wha…How?” Chanyeol looks at the usually dazed mage in wonder.

“I simply said that we’re the new servants hired for the prince’s coronation.”

“Oh.”

“Sometimes you try to be smart but really you can be so dumb.” The cat cheekily smiles at him that made him glare. “But I think it’s cute.” And so the glare melts away as a blush creeps up on his face.

“Okay guys what’s next?” Says the excited mage.

“We need to find Yifan’s grandmother and then –”

“There you are!” The three of them turned their attention to a middle aged woman whose round as a pudding and is giving them a displeased look. “Yifan! Why are you wearing  that dingy cloak? Go and get dressed and bring that one with you.” She points at Lay. “You must be in the kitchen in 5 minutes you got me?” She then grabs Chanyeol and drags him off away from the other two. “And you boy will be stationed to assist the others for decorations since you’re tall enough.”

Chanyeol alarmingly sends pleading looks to his two dumbfounded companions. Realizing that he has no choice but to follow these unexpected turn of events he mouths them ‘Go with the plan! I’ll catch up!’ and lets himself be drag off. The other two watches in horror, well, Yifan watches in horror while Lay watches blankly, as the huge door leading to the main hallway closed after the two figures.

“So, what’s the plan?”

 

 

If he wasn’t having a huge case of jitters from the possibility of being thrown into jail for infiltrating the castle then he would be staring in amazement and wonder at the magnificent and intricate designs of the castle. In every nook and cranny, there seems to be a form of art nestled in, which also includes intricate dragon designs in the paintings and walls. The woman dragging him finally lets go of his hand and tells him to go to the direction of the basement to fetch some cloths. He was about to do as what was ordered of him when he felt something weird. Like some kind of strong magnetic pull was making his feet move on its own accord. He roamed the hallways eyes scanning, looking for something when he suddenly stopped in front a small door. He knocked and was greeted with a meek ‘come in’. As he stepped inside his senses started going into haywire as his eyes landed on an old lady sitting on a rocking chair staring at the dancing flames on the fireplace. She looks up at him and smiled taking Chanyeol’s breath away.

“Hello.” She greets eyes twinkling with mirth.

“Hello.” He said back heart thumping loudly in his chest.

“Come child, come closer and let me take a good look at you.”

He did as what he was told, eyes never leaving the woman’s face. There seems to be quite on an odd feeling of nostalgia as he keeps staring at her. It’s like he feels as if he’s known this person for a very long time but couldn’t quite figure it out how, when or where he met her. He knelt down in front of her wondering who she is and why does he feel this strong need to be closer to her.

“Oh my, it seems that your form took to the same gender as your counterpart this time.” She chuckles with a throaty voice muscles constricted by age. “But your eyes are as beautiful as always. What is your name child?”

“Chanyeol. Um, may I ask?” She nods encouraging him to go ahead. “Who are you?”

“Me? I am Mei Hua.”

“And?”

“I am head Matron of the maids. However I am of old age and thus they all have felt the need to have me retire even if I am still capable in managing the staffs. Doing nothing makes me feel lonely.”

“That’s..that’s not what I meant.”

“Hmmm?” She eyes him curiously. “I have to ask you to explain what you meant then.”

“I…I meant that..You, you’re not just an old lady. It’s like you called me here. Every fiber of my being is telling me that I know you but I don’t know why.”

Mei Hua smiled at him looking quite happy. “It is nice that the Phoenix recognizes a true dragon when he sees it.”

“Dragon? Wait. Oh my god!” Chanyeol could feel his jaw drop. “You’re a dragon? Then that must mean you are the princess! Are you Yifan’s grandmother?!”

The old lady beamed at him. “You have met! That is good.”

“Are you the one who wrote this book?” He took out the black leather bound book from his bag and showed it to her.

“Yes. I did.”

“I don’t understand, didn’t the King knew you were here?”

“No. Only a selected few of my servants have known. They all said to the royal family I went crazy and ill due to being locked up and so no one checked up on me while I was pregnant with my son. My father has forgotten about me to the point that he believed that he never had a daughter. He however died due to an illness and had his son took over the throne. I believed that the rest of the royal family after my brother has no longer any traces of dragon’s power in them.” She stares into Chanyeol with a frown. “Your powers are still asleep dear one.”

“I..I don’t know if even I am the Phoenix.”

“Of course you are, you were able to find me. The Phoenix will always be able to find a true Dragon.”

“But how come I couldn’t tell if Yifan is a dragon or not? Is it because he’s a cat?”

“What do mean a cat?”

“The Prince cursed him and now he’s a cat.”

“Oh dear, then he must be in grave danger. Come let us go and find him.”

“What do you mean in grave danger?”

“The Prince seems to dislike dragons and believed that a dragon simply does not exist and only is a creation of whim from his ancestors. I have felt it, his powers, they are however not of nature as of a dragon’s fire but of evil created by darkness. Yifan’s powers were small, like a little candle flame, but as he grew his flame flickers and glows. The prince must’ve felt his growing powers and felt threatened by it. When a person is consumed by darkness, expect nothing good will come forth out of it.”

 

 

 

 

Yifan scans the hallways on his alert in case the Prince shows up. His instincts are telling him to be on guard and he’s doing exactly that. He tries to concentrate really hard if not for his companion being obnoxiously loud.

“Wow, this vase is really pretty.” Lay says admiring a vase with intricate swirl patterns.

“Lay come we mustn’t tarry along. We need to find grandmother.”

“Do you think your grandmother knows something?”

“Yes, I’ve never thought of it before but she always keeps telling that the true dragon will rise and reclaim its throne.”

“Then shouldn’t you just overthrow the Prince?”

“I don’t know how.” He says flatly. “First off I have never been able to conjure any of my powers except the occasional out of control fire. Usually I could feel things but ever since I turned into a cat I felt like I lost it.”

“You know – ” Before Lay could say finish what he was saying, a black smoke suddenly enveloped them. They both choked and gasped for air until finally fainting on the ground. The smoke disappeared and a figure emerged from it clad in expensive silks and jewelry.

The figure looks down upon them and smiled wickedly. “Sorry little kitty, the throne is mine and I’m not handing the crown over to you.”

 

 

 

Yifan wakes up in the middle of the throne hall. He blearily blinks his eyes as he surveys his surroundings, Lay is curled up on the ground now stirring awake groaning in pain, he moves too until he feels it. A numbing pain that hammers his body down being unable to move, his face contorts in agony each time the pain hits. A dry laugh permits the air and he forcefully looked up to see Prince Yu standing over the throne gleefully smirking down at him. He lets out a hiss seeing that smug face.

“Ah there, there little kitty. It won’t be long before the poison consumes your body. Soon you won’t be able to feel any pain and you won’t even be alive.” He laughs out.

“Why are you doing this?” The cat grits out.

“Me? I’m simply securing my place in this kingdom. You see, the people wholly believes in the almighty dragon protecting them but honestly, no dragon has come forth since the first one. I think it’s just a product of our imagination, to think that beings like that exists. They are just mere imaginative inventions of our ancestors.”

“Then why are you trying to kill me?” Something inside Yifan stirs, his eyes flashing specks of gold something that doesn’t elude the Prince.

“Apparently, even if I don’t believe in the existence of mythical beast, I do believe in magic. I’d be a fool not to believe the power that dwells inside of you. You apparently, show signs of being a dragon descendant which makes you part of the royal family. Some fool an ancestor must’ve given birth to a bastard through a concumbine.”

“Just like your grandfather?” Yifan retorts.

The Prince’s eyes flashes in anger, black smoke conjuring in his hands. “My grandfather is a true heir, he may have never been powerful but he is a descendant to the throne.”

“A throne that wasn’t rightfully his to begin with.” Even with poison in his body Yifan could feel it, a surge of power ready to break free giving him strength to sit up and look the Prince in the eye.

“I was going to let you have a slow painful death but it seems it’s better to kill you now. You annoy me too much.”  The black smoke in his hands turned into a sphere with black sparks surrounding it. Yifan couldn’t move freely with the poison in his veins and tries to think of a way to dodge it, that’s when he noticed Lay chanting on the other side of the room in full concentration.

In a flash, the Prince threw the sphere at Yifan before it hit a force field and exploded. Lay was suddenly beside Yifan looking very pleased with himself. “Told you I’ll be handy!”

Yifan was glad Lay was fine so he thanked him. “What did you do?” They eyed the Prince who was building another black sphere and throwing it at them but just like the first one hit an invisible barrier.

“Remember the passageway to my home? My ancestors didn’t just put it there, everyone in my family was taught how to strengthen it. It’s pretty much the only thing magical thing I’m perfect at.” He smiled proudly. “Hold still while I try to eliminate the poison in your body.”

“What?” The mage didn’t reply and started chanting while his hands rest on Yifan’s shoulders. The Prince now enraged started chanting something too. Yifan watched in horror when the Prince suddenly deformed and transformed into a black dragon. “Oh great.”

“Well, atleast now we know he can transform into one.” Lay says behind him. “Any ideas how to beat him?”

“I won’t be able to do anything if I’m poisoned Lay.”

“Working on it!” The mage concentrates harder letting his powers seep into Yifan’s skin and eliminate the poison. The cat could feel the numbing pain ebbing away to be replaced with a sense of newfound strength and energy. The prince now started on blasting huge balls of black fire onto the barrier, making it crack in every attack. “There! All done! The barrier won’t hold so go get em.” Lay pushes Yifan forward as the barrier breaks and now the cat is staring straight onto the black dragon’s eyes.

“Um..What do I do?” He gulps.

“Errr…Run?” The mage supplies.

“Good idea.”

The two of them bolted out of the throne hall with an enraged dragon on their tails. “I don’t think this is a good idea Yifan!” Lay huffs out.

“Then think of something!”

The mage stops and grabs a sword on display in the wall and threw it to the cat. “Slay it!”

“…..Seriously?”

“It might work you know.”

The cat jumps startled with the roar coming from the black dragon. “Why me?”

“I don’t do violence. You’re supposed to be a dragon so go and roar at him.”

Yifan sighs and rushes to strike the dragon, he lifts the sword way back and swung it forward only to lose grip on it and send it flying onto the dragon’s head hitting its eye accidentally. “Ooops.”

“Good job!” Lay triumphantly exclaimed.

The black dragon then swiped Yifan off his feet and sends him flying out the window. The cat lucky in some weird reflex twisted his body midair and lands on his feet and stumbles a few paces backward. “Wow, didn’t know I can do that.”

“That was awesome!” Lay cheers on from the second story of the castle.

A huge explosion bursts out from where Yifan fell. The black dragon inhales and then spits out black fire burning the ground below. The cat catches some of the fire and gets burned by it, the black dragon uses this opportunity to jump down and reach out to the cat grasping him in his claws. The Prince squeezes Yifan making him dizzy from the lack of oxygen. “Such an eye sore.” He said and opens his mouth with the black fire swirling. Yifan watches as the black fire explodes in his face, turning everything pitch black.

 

 

Chanyeol was roaming the castle with Mei Hua until he suddenly stopped walking, his whole body tense as he could feel it. A sense of dread creeping up in his skin and his feet once again running somewhere without him telling it where to go. He ran as fast as he can, going outside the castle walls and into the left grounds where the garden is. The moment he rounded the corner that’s when he felt his breath caught. There stood a menacing black dragon with a limp Yifan in his hands, it dropped the cat’s body unceremoniously on the ground and spreads its wings. The dragon flew up high in the tallest point of the castle its body surrounded by black smoke. Chanyeol ran to where Yifan’s body lay. “Yifan?” With shaking hands he shook him to wake up.

“Yifan wake up!”

The black dragon looked down where Chanyeol and Yifan were and roared. It in the black smoke surrounding it and started forming it into a black sphere infusing fire and lightning into it. Chanyeol urged the other one to wake up.

“Come on Yifan!” The cats’ breathing was getting shallow as if it’s dwindling away. So Chanyeol did what he think could help and with a slight hesitation he attached his lips onto the still figure and started to breathe life back into him.

 

 

 

He stood in a vast darkness, endless and empty. Yifan looks around trying to find someone or something that could tell him where he is but could find none. A sense of loneliness crept up to him, a chill running along his skin. He feels numb, legs growing weak and losing strength. As darkness envelop him, that’s when a small flicker of light in a distance glowed. It was faint yet strong, he urged his feet to walk, to get closer. Even from the distance he could feel the warmth spreading throughout his body. The small flickering flame hovers. He could hear it calling out to him urging him to come closer. He raised his hand and after a moment of reluctance, he reached out to touch the flame. The moment his fingertips met with the flame it bursts into a huge fire surrounding him. Amongst the flames a beautiful Phoenix sprang forth, it’s beautiful wings encased in embers. It looked down at him smiling and Yifan couldn’t help but smile back at him. The flaming bird then enveloped him in its wings, letting the fire fuse inside him.

The power surged and built, making him stronger, when he finally opened his eyes it’s to see Chanyeol’s tear streaked face looking down at him. “You’re not a kitty anymore.” The Phoenix said smiling. Yifan just smiled up at other one.

The black dragon then released the black sphere down on them. As it hit the ground a huge explosion rang throughout the kingdom. Mei Hua and Lay watches in horror at the ground where flames occupy the place that held Chanyeol and Yifan.

The Prince roared as it achieved its victory but that’s when the fire started swirling on the ground, creating a vortex of flames. Golden eyes of a red dragon looked up at him in challenge standing protectively beside smaller figure of a flaming bird.

“And so the two have reunited.” Mei Hua spoke as she watches the two figures standing side by side.

In a flash, Yifan spread his wings and charged right at the black dragon. They fought in an aerial battle, raging hot fire vs a black one.

Lay who descended down and stood beside the princess eyes never leaving the two beings in the air. “Will Yifan win?”

“Yes, of course. Nothing will withstand a dragon’s fire.”

Just then, the red dragon released an ear splitting roar making the black one off balance. The former uses its chance and took a lung full of air and blast its fiery breath onto the latter. The black dragon’s body now encased in fire, its wings turning into dust and loses its velocity in the air.

“A fake dragon can never withstand a true dragon’s fire.” The wise old woman said as the Prince fell into the ground.

The red dragon descended, he stood on the ground proud and tall, as the people came to witness the scene. The black dragon realizing its defeat lets out a growl and vanishes into a black smoke.

“Is he gone?” Lay asked Mei Hua.

“No but it’s alright. The true heir will protect us all.” She says proudly.

 

 

 

 

 

“Yifan!” He turned as his name was called, seeing Chanyeol with a box in his hands. He could smell the contents of the box a mile away.

“What are you doing with those?” He grunts.

“But they need a home!” The latter pouts at him.

“But you already got six kittens Chanyeol!”

“I can’t help it! I miss my kitty Yifan so I need some kind of substitute.”

“Ugh. Please don’t remind me.” They walked down the castle hallways in a comfortable silence enjoying each other’s company.

“By the way, when is your coronation?” The shorter one of the two said.

“I don’t know, I don’t mind not taking over anyways. Grandmother is a good Queen.” He says fondly.

“I agree but don’t you think we should warn her about Lay.”

The dragon prince stopped and looked at its betrothed. “What about Lay?” He asked dreadfully.

“She hired him.”

“As a white mage for the kingdom?”

“Nope. I think it was to be…..the castle cook.”

They stared at each other face completely blank and suddenly it sinked in. “Uh oh.”  


 

I loved writting this even when it's so hard to write fight scenes of a dragon vs a cat. Or just a fight scenes in general. I realize how little there was on Krisyeol being lovedovey but meh, it was fun. My favorite part will always be the story of the dragon. I had so much feels writing that *cries*

I made an announcement on my latest blog post if you guys haven't heard but I hope you all understand. 

Again, thank you so much for reading my fics and commenting. Thank you thank you. 

 

Love, 

Prey