Goals in Life [taengsic]

Midnight Melodies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She quickly opened the door to her home and dragged her luggage through the door tiredly. It was three o’clock in the morning and she was already regretting her decision to buy so many gifts from her holiday to London. If only she could have thrown half of it out the window of the plane to save her the trouble of lugging it all the way back home again.

As the dark brunette was regaining her breath, she noticed a bright yellow post-it note with neat hand writing stuck on the middle of her front door.

“I don’t care what time you get home. Come over ASAP or else.”

There was no name written or a location given but she already knew who it was from. Glancing over at the house next to hers, she wondered if the note was viable between the hours of twelve and six o’clock in the morning. She then looked down at her luggage again and groaned upon remembering that her pyjamas were buried beneath the other layers of clothes and gifts. Three o’clock was no time for anyone to be unpacking a luggage and it was especially not a time for her to be doing anything besides sleeping with her face buried in pillows.

“Well I guess I could pop over to see if she answers the door,” she whispered to herself with a tired sigh. The note did imply a threat if she didn’t follow its instructions so it was probably the safest option to just check. If her neighbour was indeed waiting for her but she never showed up then may the gods above have mercy on her soul as she gets beaten to a pulp.

Leaving her fifty-tonne luggage behind the door, she quickly locked up again and made her way over to her neighbour’s house. It took a full two minutes after the knock before the door opened to reveal a lighter brunette standing at the door, rubbing her eyes tiredly. The darker brunette had nearly forgotten how much she missed her neighbour on her trip.

“Oh, Jessica. You took your sweet time. I thought you said you’d be back by two,” the tired neighbour yawned. Jessica laughed at her attempt to wake herself up but it seemed her eyes didn’t want to cooperate just yet. “You’re just lucky I was waiting for you. If you were anyone else I would have permanently embedded a bat to your skull for waking me up at this ungodly hour.”

“Oh believe me, I’m counting my blessings this very moment. For a split second I thought Satan reborn had opened the door with your deadly glare. I pray for the unfortunate who would wake you up in the middle of your slumber one day. I fear even innocent children may not be spared from the wrath of a sleepy Kim Taeyeon,” she mused back as she waltzed into her neighbour’s home with an innocent smile.

“Don’t think this gives you permission to knock on my door during these hours. If you ever did, don’t be surprised to see your house being nothing more than a pile of rubble the next morning,” the darker brunette snapped. Jessica gave a nervous laugh, wondering if Taeyeon was being serious or not.

“I made some food for you, but it’s cold now.” Taeyeon gave another yawn. “Go clean up and I’ll go reheat the food. God only knows what kind diseases you brought home with you. The pyjamas are on the bed,” she continued before disappearing into the kitchen.

Jessica willingly skipped to the bedroom and gladly borrowed her neighbour’s bathroom to clean herself up. The awkward position of the airplane chairs and constant coughing from the passengers on board made her crave the comforting waters of a warm shower.

After reluctantly dragging herself out of the shower and borrowing Taeyeon’s pyjamas, Jessica made her way to the dining table where her neighbour was slowly falling asleep at the table.

“Sorry for waking you up this late,” she apologised once she sat down next to her. Taeyeon shook her head and nodded towards the warm food. Jessica noticed that there was only one set of utensils and gave the darker brunette a questionable glance.

“I’m not hungry and I’m trying to keep in shape,” she replied. Jessica nodded and picked up her chopsticks to start digging into the food. She wouldn’t normally eat at such an hour but she was hungry from the long flight and she had missed her neighbour’s cooking despite the delicate cuisines she’s sampled on her holiday.

Sitting in complete silence, Jessica continued to eat the food that was prepared especially for her as her neighbour rested her head against the table and slowly started drifting off to sleep.

 

 

 

 

Jessica jolted awake when her hand accidentally slipped off the dining table. She sat up tiredly and found herself with a pair of chopstick marks on her left cheek. She had unknowingly fallen asleep after eating her fill and passed out from food coma. Rubbing her eyes tiredly, she checked her watch to see that it was twenty past five. Her internal clock was a mess and she knew that she would not be falling asleep so easily again.

“Oh the irony,” she whispered to herself. This was probably one of the very few times, if not the first, that she would wake up voluntarily before eleven. Giving a stretch, she noticed the sleeping figure of her neighbour beside her. She felt as though she had troubled Taeyeon enough as it is and decided to wash the dishes so that her neighbour wouldn’t insist on doing it when she awoke.

The minutes ticked by as Jessica tried not make a single sound with the dishes clashing each other every so often. Because she was being so careful, it took her a lot longer than what it would have usually taken her but the never moving figure at the dining table made it all worth the extra effort.

“Monkeys… trampoline…” the darker brunette mumbled in her sleep. Jessica rolled her eyes at her weird choice of words and made a mental note to question her the next morning on just what she was dreaming about.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter