Sandy

The Silly Shapeshifter

 

“Sand..eul?”

 

Sandeul turned to the door at hearing his name spoken with such hesitation. He had figured it was Gongchan entering, having forgotten something or to swoon some more over Jinyoung, but it was definitely not his voice. Ugh, it was that useless human boy he had so unfairly been charged with helping. He wasn't some outreach program for the mythically challenged, he thought outraged. Why did the teacher hate him? All he got was detention and more detention. And for what, he was simply practicing his myth powers like every other student at this school. This was even worse than the usual classroom cleaning, at least the chalkboard didn't talk back.

It was time to take things into his own hands. After all, he was only going to do what the teacher had asked him to do, introduce Baro to the mythical world, starting with his own myth. He chuckled to himself at his own brilliance.

“Get out, get out, get ooout of this room.” he started singing, skillfully manipulating his voice into pitch perfect notes that tickled the air.

“What?” Baro stared blankly back at him.

“Oh, I'm singing a song, you don't interrupt someone when they are singing!” he retorted indignantly, surprised that it hadn't affected him at all. He probably just had a high resistance level. He might have to sing a full verse before he caved.

“Get out I said, shu shu, I have no time for pointless things, shu shu.” he continued, putting more force into his voice so that it reverberated off the walls. The acoustics of the room could have been better, but it had to do. The melody rolled smoothly off his tongue, the lyrical loops teasing the air.

“This song is awfully specific.” Baro snorted as he walked towards him, planting his behind on one of the tables Sandeul had just finished wiping down. “It's beautiful though.” he added with a smirk.

Sandeul was speechless. Why wasn't it working? He had never experienced such utter disregard for his singing ever before. It was rare that he needed to sing more than a line to get the desired effect, unheard of in persons of lesser mythical standing. A single word usually sufficed to conquer the most stubborn of minds. There was something weird going on.

“So the teacher told me to go to you for help.” Baro began, completely ignoring Sandeul's attempt at throwing him out. Sandeul put the chalkboard eraser down and folded his arms as he sat down on the teacher's table and looked at Baro with narrow eyes, forcefully filling the atmosphere with hostility so he would get the hint. He still didn't understand why his song hadn't worked, forcing him to stoop so low as to use such medieval human methods. So tactless, but it could not be helped. He would be damned before he agreed to this slave contract.

"It that the teacher's pinning this all on you, I would totally be pissed if I were you. I mean, she's basically pawning her own job on you and you get nothing in return!!" Baro waved his hands theatrically as he spoke, outraged. And what was more, he was absolutely right! Sandeul was pleasantly surprised, he had not expected him to take his side.

"But see, I'm in a bit of a bind here.." Baro continued. Of course there was a 'but', there was always a 'but'. Sandeul's suprise deflated into mild disappointment.

"Don't get me wrong, I would love to just skip it all, flunk out and go back to my old school, that's like my ultimate dream right now, but that's exactly what my parents are expecting and even if I flunk out, they're never going to let me go back to my old school, I'd probably be sent to whichever hellhole mythical flunkies are usually sent. My parents are stubborn like that. So my only way out of here is to graduate." he explained sullenly. He got so blue, Sandeul caught himself almost feeling sorry for him. He of course stopped immediately. He was not going to feel sorry for this random kid when he was the reason his life was about to get even more annoying than it already was. He didn't need some pathetic charity case on his hands. One that didn't even flinch as he tried to use his powers on him. No, this was too annoying, he was not having it.

"Why did your parents send you here in the first place? Are you some kind of myth without any actual powers or..? I thought they didn't accept humans?" Sandeul couldn't hold back his curiosity. Besides, he could feel a plea on its way, so he was trying to change the subject.

"They said it was time I learned about my family history. Dunno, apparently they are some super duper important people, so maybe they pulled some strings?" Baro shrugged. "Super duper bullters, if you ask me." he added in frustration. One thing was clear. Baro wanted to be here just about as much as Sandeul wanted him to be here.

"But see.." Baro started. There it was, more 'but's and not the round, squeezable kind. Sandeul clenched his teeth, ready to be as uncooperative as possible.

"I can't do this alone. Without your help I'll never be able to graduate and get out of this freakish world... no offense." Baro grinned, realizing he had just offended every single race of supernatural beings at this school, and in the entire world. Sandeul wasn't really offended though, since he thought the same about Baro and his ignorant human society.

"But, it's totally unfair that you're stuck with me, so I was thinking.. what if I pay you?" he smiled convincingly. Now that was a nice 'but'. Maybe not as nice as Baro's , for he had an infuriatingly well-shaped , that had unfortunately not escaped his attention, but it was nice all the same.

"Pay me?" Sandeul couldn't help being intrigued.

"Yeah, uhm I don't mean money cuz that I don't have, but I could help you with your detention chores and in turn you could help me with homework. Quid pro quo." he offered. It was cute that he thought he wanted money, Sandeul chuckled to himself. Ah, what a simpleton. So human. The offer wasn't bad though, not bad at all.

"Oooh, so you do my detention while I do your homework?" Sandeul smirked.

"Not so fast, I said help.. help.." Baro emphasized. Ah, it was worth the try, Sandeul thought. This human wasn't as clueless as he had hoped. He nodded in agreement before standing up and throwing a rag in his direction. They might as well start now.

 

Baro was a quick worker, doing more than his share. If it continued like that, he could reclaim a life where lunch meant food, not cleaning, Sandeul thought dreamy-eyed.

"So what are you, anyway?" Baro asked nonchalantly as they were finishing up.

"Ehh.." he paused awkwardly. If he told him, he would not only realize that he had been trying to throw him out earlier, information he could take to the teacher to give him more detention, but worse yet, he would know that he had failed in doing so. How embarrassing!

 

Thankfully the bell saved him in the nick of time, giving him some time to think of a solution.