3.

Block X
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The motorcycle's engine drowned out any other sound that might have reached Zico's ears as they zoomed past the ruins of what used to be the world's technological capital. They had received a backup request a few minutes ago. Apparently, some humans had attacked a facility not far from the Institution, their aim: stealing supplies. Idiots, Zico growled to himself, tightening his grip on the handlebars until his knuckles turned white. 

"We're here," B-Bomb's voice rung clearly through the nano-communicator in his right ear. A moment later, they slid to a stop in front of what seemed like an abandoned hospital. 

"You ready?" Zico called out, swinging his weapon of choice- a laser blaster that made the human brain transmit signals that shut down the rest of the body in a matter of seconds- over his shoulder. The group responded with affirmative remarks, each doing the same. "Remember, aim to stun, not injure." He reminded them, making them hum in unison. The more live samples they got to the lower labs, the higher valued they were. 

Sometimes, though, thought Zico grimly, yet not regretfully, strapping an old fashioned lethal gun onto his belt right next to his emergency-use-only double bladed daggers, You just have to kill them.

"Let's go then," He called out, hunching over slightly before running into the bleak building. 

-

"Have you seen anyone, yet?" Jaehyo whispered in their ears, obviously anxious. They had split into three teams. 

Kyung tensed, the boy's concern only confirming the nagging in the pit of his stomach. They would have usually been welcomed by the local forces and given a status report in less than five minutes. They had been striding along the first and second floor corridors, kicking their way into rooms, for nearly fifteen minutes. There wasn't a single trace of life. 

"Don't get your in a twist just yet," Zico muttered, currently searching for some sort of underground entrance, "There's still two floors left."

"It doesn't look like there's a basement, then?" Taeil asked, drowning out the sound of Jaehyo's cursing behind him. 

P.O answered. "There is, but the door's barricaded. We don't think there's anything down there."

Kyung nodded and turned to U-Kwon, "We'll be going up to the third, then." 

"Go ahead," Taeil replied, running up the stairs to the second floor, "We'll be there in a minute."

"We'll wait for you at the landing." Kyung said.

"Copy." 

-

"I've almost got it," P.O grunted, slamming his large frame into the metal door for what seemed like the millionth time. 

"Get out of the way," Zico's alert gave the boy the exact amount of time needed to escape being completely flattened by a large, swinging boulder.

"What the," He let out, breathing heavily, partially from the physical exertion, but mostly from the shock of the rock having been able to graze his arm. He looked at the rope from which it was hanging to the ceiling, then at the dent in the door he had unsuccessfully been trying to open until then. "No wonder you weren't helping, at all." 

Zico just regarded him coldly from his perch on top of what used to be a nurses' counter, prompting him to inch further away from the door. "Pass me the rock."

-

"Why are they taking so long?" U-Kwon murmured. They should have arrived in a matter of moments. It had been almost ten minutes.

"Taeil," Kyung said clearly, "Where are you?"

The boy's breathing was heavy when he replied, "We can't find B-Bomb." 

-

"What?" P.O asked, alarmed.

A clang resounded through the hallway and he turned around to see a sweating Zico breathing deeply, the makeshift wrecking ball swinging weakly and the door gone. It had fallen in, completely off of its hinges.

"What?" The leader asked, using his sleeve to wipe his forehead, apparently haven't having heard the recent transmissions. 

-

"We got in," Zico said. 

"The basement?" Kyung perked up, meeting U-Kwon's eyes. 

"Yeah," He answered, "But B-Bomb's offline?" The leader didn't wait for an answer, "Should we fall back and help search for him?" 

"If you didn't, would you proceed alone?" Kyung prodded. 

"Should we merge into two teams, then? One for the basement, one for B-Bomb?" Taeil asked.

"What about the third and fourth floor?" Jaehyo intervened. 

"Let's remain as we are, then," Zico reasoned, "P.O and I will proceed downwards, Kyung and U-Kwon will go upwards, and Taeil and Jaehyo will find B-Bomb." 

"We'll have no room for change," Kyung's mutter was clear enough for them all to hear. 

U-Kwon nodded, agreeing. "We'll have no backup." 

"We have no choice." Zico said, his tone of voice closing the discussion.

-

"Shall we, then?" Zico asked once both had their flashlights ready. 

"It sure looks creepy," P.O murmured, shining his downwards, illuminating the seemingly endless flight of narrow stairs. 

"You scared?" The other asked, taking the first step down. 

"Does it matter?" He answered, following closely behind. 

-

"Send a probe," Kyung whispered. 

U-Kwon dug into his pocket and brought out a small black ball. He turned it on, making the lines around it light up blue, then gently rolled it around the corner, into the next floor's main corridor. 

"What's it say?" Kyung asked, glimpsing the screen the boy held only to see a lot of gibberish he didn't understand. 

"Give it another second," U-Kwon muttered, "It seems to be... slow."

"Could it be malfunctioning?" Kyung pressed, the odd feeling he'd had since entering the hospital becoming louder in his head. 

"It's highly unlikely." The boy answered, frowning, right before his screen went completely black. He straightened up, startled. 

"What? What is it?" The other asked, uneasy. 

"It," U-Kwon stopped, meeting his eyes, "I think it malfunctioned." 

-

"The prod's not working," Kyung announced through the comm units, "Should we proceed?" Or should we wait for back up? He would have asked if he didn't already know that there was none.

Zico frowned in the darkness, "Proceed with caution."

"Copy." 

"A prod malfunctioned?" P.O asked behind him, confused.

"It seems like it," He answered, just as puzzled. 

"Geez," The younger moaned, the hair on his arms standing on end, "Why is it so cold?" 

"I don't know," The crease between Zico's eyebrows deepened, "I think the room at the bottom must have a controlled temperature."

"If there is a room at the bottom." P.O muttered. 

Their flashlights still hadn't shown them an end to the stairs ahead of them. 

-

"That's all the rooms on the second floor," Jaehyo reported, coming out of the last one with his own weapon at the ready. 

Taeil looked at him, unsettle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter