Ashes and Amber

Time Boils The Rain

Chapter 1: Ashes and Amber


 

 

Ever since Tao was young, Time has always talked to him. And like how Joonmyun sings to the Rain and Sehun growls at the Wind, Tao whispers to the Time. He stares at the clock and sees arms begging him to free them from their cage. He stares at the sundial in the Zen garden and sees the shadows dancing to an unsung melody.

#

Tao first met Yifan when he was fourteen years of age. He was under the care of Jiyong; one of the teahouse’s most popular Geiko. The man was famous and well-loved amongst the Maiko, because he can sings well, dance well and is incredibly pleasing to speak with.

Tao has always admire Jiyong ever since he was first sold to the Evening Son Teahouse because despite being illiterate, the elder has always known to be a child genius. Composing his own songs and telling well-loved stories and entertaining the customers with his endless wit. And once Tao was under Jiyong’s tutelage, the raven hair boy noticed that the blonde has always been generous with his income and regularly gifting Tao with sweets and accessories.

Tao remember that day clearly, because it was the first time when Jiyong called him to his quarter and gave him a brand new Kimono in the shade of red and dark brown with small sakura patterns painted in white. The boy had stand obediently that day as Jiyong dressed him in the most beautiful furisode he has ever seen.

“A very important customer is here tonight Zi-tan.” Jiyong told him and Tao pouts at the nickname. Jiyong laughed and grabbed the golden obi he laid on the blue divider.

“In fact, he came here with another friend of his and asked that I and Hyoyeon-nee perform for him.” The blonde said after he pushed Tao down into a sitting position in near the dressing table.

Tao knew who Hyoyeon was, Hyoyeon was the most beautiful Geiko in the district. Her face flawless and her smile bright and warm. She was flamboyant in her fashion and boisterous with her speech. But she was most famous for her personality: bold, bright and fearless. And under her wings was Sehun, Tao’s friend and fellow Maiko.

The blonde Geiko combed his apprentice’s hair for a bit then he continued “You must refer to the one with brown hair as Wu-sama and the one with black hair as Zhang-sama.”

Tao nodded and Jiyong smiled at him before pinning a hair pin made from white diamonds and red rubies to back of Tao’s head. The Blonde patted the Maiko’s cheek lightly and asked Tap to help him into his furisode.

The evening was dizzying for Tao because as he sat inside the room booked by the customers, he felt sweat trickling down his spine and Sehun’s nervous expression did not help. His master was chatting with Hyoyeon gleefully with his hand resting on his trusted Shamisen.

Then Jiyong teased Sehun and said “Oh, Sehun-chan don’t be so nervous. You’re making my Zi-tan nervous.”

Sehun stuttered, grabbing onto Hyoyeon’s arm, and Tao turned bright red at the nickname. Hyoyeon clicked her tongue and flicked a finger to Jiyong’s forehead and chided him “Don’t bully my apprentice you idiot.”

“Aw, but Sehun-chan was so cute when he was flustered.” The blonde replied and made kissing expression at Sehun. Hyoyeon laughed loudly and Sehun turned as red as Tao.

And that was when the customers enter the room, the brown hair old man announcing “What was so funny Hyoyeon? I could probably hear you laughed since the entrance.”

Immediately, the four rose to their feet and bow. They waited as the customers walked in and Tao counted that there are four people presented in the room. They return to their sitting position when they were sure the customers were all seated.

Tao and Sehun, with their head held down and gulping, both timidly gravitated to their Geiko when Hyoyeon said “Jiyong was being a tease Wu-sama.”

“As expected of my Jiyong.” Wu-sama replied and Tao felt irritation emitted out of his master body. The blonde’s fingers on his Shamisen curled and Tao touched his ankle.

“What else would I be if not teasing your grace.” Jiyong quipped, cheerful and witty. Tao can’t help but wonder at the Geiko’s excellent acting skill.

Wu-sama laughed loudly and Tao winced at the messy noise.

As the noise subside, Hyoyeon asked boldly “Shall we bring you your meal Wu-sama, Zhang-sama?”

“Yes.” Another voice added and Tao conclude that it belonged to Zhang-sama.

Immediately, Jiyong touched his arm and Tao dared to raise his head. And the first thing that came into view was a teenager no older then sixteen, with white flawless skin and hair the color of copper. His eyes were not on Tao but the boy can imagine that their color were rich burgundy in their chocolate depth. When Tao followed his line of sight, he saw another gorgeous teen around the same age with dark brown hair and a small smile on his pull petal lips. And like the copper hair teen sitting on the other side of the table, he too was dressed in a pristine western suit made from wool.

“Tao,” Jiyong called his name sternly and he snapped out of his reverie. “Go fetch the food and drink with Sehun.”

Tao nodded once and crawled out the back door with Sehun. The two apprentices looked at one another and hurriedly down the hall.

“Hey, why do you think they sent us out? They could’ve just sent the maids to bring the food you know.” Tao asked as they wait for the maids to finised putting the food and alcohol onto the trolley.

“I knew Jiyoung-nii didn’t tell you.” Sehun said and his best friend gave him a look.

“Tell me what?” The black hair teen question, his hands grabbing for the wooden trolley filled with alcohol. Sehun pushed his cart forward and Tao followed, pestering for an answer.

“Hyoyeon-nee told me that Wu-sama is very fond of Jiyong-nii” Sehun told him, and Tao snorted because obviously even a blind man can see that, then the younger teen continued “And he’s a ert, but he pay very very well. Hyoyeon-nee told me that she and Jiyong-nii will be sending us out a lot or sending us somewhere so that Wu-sama won’t be interested in us.”

Tao nodded in understanding and Sehun patted his head gently and giggle. A few feet till the room, Tao asked again “Did she tell you about the two teenagers?”

Sehun shook his head, the colorful beads in his hair shine brightly and his hair became messy. Tao hummed and they both parked their carts outside before putting the food into the trays and went inside.

True to Sehun’s word, both Geiko had little use of them.

When alcohol needed to be poured, Jiyong batted his eyes beautifully and smiled as he said “Allow me.” Then both Jiyong and Hyoyeon grabbed the sake bottle from Tao and Sehun.

When more food and were needed, both Maiko were sent out to bring them in. And they both had to deliver the dirty dishes to the kitchen themselves as well.

When Wu-sama asked for a song, Jiyong told him “Perhaps a dance is a good entertainment.”

“I asked for a song.” Wu-sama gritted his teeth. The copper hair teen turned his head to the side, seemingly frustrated.

“Oh, but we prepared especially for you.” Hyoyeon replied, her smile toothier than usual and the brown hair man seem to settle down a bit. He acted as if to contemplate for a bit before nodding.

Immediately, Jiyong told Tao and Sehun out to get the musician. Then Zhang-sama proposed “Surely your apprentices are capable of playing the shamisen.”

The blonde Geiko turned his smile at the black hair man and replied “Our apprentice are still learning, we wouldn’t wish to ruin your evening with horrible music.”  

That was the end of discussion and the residential musician and his apprentice was invited into the room.

Halfway through the dinner, the teen with copper hair put down his chopsticks loudly. Jiyong stopped in his story telling and looked at the young man with amusement. Hyoyeon merely raise a fine brow and the other teen with dark brown hair put down his chopsticks. The two stood up simultaneously and Wu-sama moved his mouth as if to scold them both but Zhang-sama beat him to it and said “Boys, sit down.”

“We need some fresh air.” The brunet teen replied and Wu-sama sighed loudly.

Boldly, Hyoyeon suggested “Perhaps Sehun and Tao can keep the young masters company and show them around our gardens.”

Wu-sama visibly beamed at the suggestion. The redhead teen groans but after a few seconds of silent with his friend, he nodded reluctantly. A few minutes later, the four leave the room through the front door and strolled toward the direction of the gardens.

“Which garden would you like to explore young masters?” Sehun asked, polite and soft like how Hyoyeon taught him to.

The redhead grunted and Tao sneaked a glance the copper hair young master. He seemed to be annoyed and his friend clasped his shoulders consolingly.

“Whichever is fine. And please, call me Yixing.” The brunet told them with a dazzling smile. Begrudgingly the redhead turned to stare at Tao and Sehun, looking at them in the eyes in turn and Tao realized that his eyes were grey and in their depth they were blue and clean.

He said “You may call me Kris.”

Sehun and Tao nodded as they lead the young masters into their famous Zen garden.

Tao remember the day he met Yifan really well because that day Yifan’s hair was the color of vivid copper, putting the rubies on his head to shame. His eyes were the shades of dirty grey and diamond blue and his baritone voice was the most pleasing melody has ever hear.

The day he first met Yifan, the teen said he was called ‘Kris’ and Tao can’t help but taste ashes and amber on his tongue when he said the name.

#

Tao touches his pocket watch like Chen would touch his musical instruments. Their caresses are soft and fleeting like that of a lover. Yet they touch differently because Chen would never feel as intimate with his instruments like how Tao feels with his Time.