1/1

The Prince and The Dragon

Daehyun sighed as he looked up at the bright blue sky. Everyone else in the castle was working with a smile on their face, commenting on the good weather or making jokes about the dangers the tiny specks of clouds in the sky could hide. By the fourth time that hour Daehyun had heard, 'Oh no the fire-breathing ants are going to get me!’ he was ready to find a new lounging location.

He brushed himself off and slid his sword back into its sheath on his belt before leaving the royal gardens. 'There's still a chance... I just have to get to another area... maybe the castle roof? Or the fields on the left?'

"Prince Daehyun." Daehyun looked up at the deep-voiced guard who seemed to always have a serious face while on duty, which was all the time.

"Hello, Yongguk," Daehyun said sourly. 

"You should be more careful of your surroundings. Are you not learning anything from your lessons?" Yongguk crossed his arms.

Daehyun tried not to roll his eyes in fear of being forced to do more push-ups tomorrow, "I understand, Yongguk."

A dark-haired guard walked up to them, laughing at Yongguk's comment, "Jeez Bbang, won't you lighten up? There are no clouds in the sky! It's a beautiful day full of sunshine. We would see danger coming from miles away!"

Yongguk frowned, "Himchan, that in no way means we are allowed to slack off. Prince Daehyun has been captured too many times--"

"But Dragons rarely ever attack when it's sunny," Himchan interrupted.

Daehyun tightened his fists, trying not to let his feelings show on his face. 'Dragons... one of humanities worse nightmares...but...'

"They still attack and Prince Daehyun needs to be prepared, do you understand, Prince?"

"Yes, I understand. My sword skills have gotten better," Daehyun tried to defend himself. "I helped defeat a pair of ogres terrorizing Mundo."

Himchan nodded, impressed, "That he did, Yongguk. I think you should give the little Prince some more credit."

"Little?"

"Well, the next time he makes it through a dragon attack without getting kidnapped, I'll acknowledge his abilities, but until then," Yongguk stared at Daehyun, "Be on guard, or stay in the castle where you are safe."

"Or what? You are going to assign me a personal guard even while I'm in the castle?" Daehyun asked bitterly. 

"No, because your father, the King, has already told me that it isn't necessary...for now."

Daehyun gawked as the two guards walked away, keeping a strict eye on the guards currently on duty. He stormed off, unable to believe the lack of trust they all had in him. He had slain ogres, predicted griffin strikes on neighboring towns, and had even helped negotiate a peace treaty with the local fae. 

He slowed, 'But most of the things I do aren't about fighting... and it really doesn't help that I always let myself be captured.'

Daehyun checked his surroundings, making sure no one was around him, before remembering that he hadn't actually said it out loud. He shook his head at how paranoid he was being before looking up at the sky again, hoping that clouds would form.

"It's such a beautiful day, isn't it Daehyun?"

Daehyun sighed as he looked over at his friend Jongup, a servant at the castle, "It's quite sunny, yes."

Jongup frowned, "You don't look too happy about it. Having a bad day?"

"No, I'm doing good. I'll see you around," Daehyun patted the younger man's shoulder before continuing his walk. 

With nothing to do he decided to walk along the outer castle wall. There was no real reason for it, although he made some up as he went, like looking for weak points, making sure the guards stayed vigilant, talking to random people, and perhaps looking for a way out or a way to make himself an easier target, but he would never admit to that. If anyone was able to read his thoughts they would have called him crazy. Being kidnapped by a giant, flying, fire-breathing dragon doesn't seem like something people dream for. The first few times, it wasn't something Daehyun had liked either, but Daehyun and his dragon had connected; they had a bond now.

Their discussions were always interesting, in fact they made Daehyun more lenient towards the magical creatures in the area, and they realized they both liked the same music. It was a weird friendship between human and huge beast, but Daehyun was beginning not to care.

"I wish I didn't miss him so much... why does it have to be summer?" Daehyun sighed and leaned against the stone wall, letting his eyelids shut.

"You don't like the sun?"

Daehyun furrowed his brows at the voice that came behind him. It seemed familiar, but more clear, yet definitely not a voice belonging to someone he knew in the castle.

"I personally like the sun," the man continued, "It is such a glorious feeling to relax in the lake while the sun shines upon you. But if you don't like the sun, maybe you don't understand what all I've given up to come here today."

He turned around quicker than he thought possible and stared at the man about his own age that he had never seen before. He was Daehyun's height with black hair that shined in the sun. His long fingers were hooked around the belt of his pants which were too big for him, although his shirt must have cost a fortune based on the colors and detail. None of it was familiar.

The cocky grin and his chocolate eyes did nothing to hid the sense of mischief flowing from the man, and it was this that Daehyun recognized.

"Youngjae?" Daehyun asked in disbelief.

He grinned, "Well look at you. You aren't as dumb as you look."

"But.. but how? You..." Daehyun looked Youngjae up and down.

"I'm human?" Youngjae shrugged. "It's not something we tell all the humans, but dragons can actually transform into a human form."

"That's convenient... wait--" Daehyun scowled, "Why didn't you do this before? Why 'kidnap' me whenever you wanted to hang out?"

"For fun?" Youngjae laughed and held up his hands as Daehyun looked ready to hit him, "Wait wait, I swear that wasn't the only reason. I can't just go around showing everyone my human form. It would be bad if humans found out about this. It's my fault that you all realized we can fly in the sunlight." 

"Right..." Daehyun backed off, "sorry about that."

Youngjae shrugged, "It was years ago. I understand."

"Yeah..." Daehyun nodded as he continued to stare at Youngjae. "I can't believe it still."

"Like what you see?" Daehyun coughed and looked away as Youngjae laughed, "I mean you keep staring--"

"So, what now?" Daehyun interrupted, "Are you kidnapping me or do we get to hang out normally for now on?"

"Well, I was thinking this might be easier... you know, so that your knights don't have to hunt my family and I down, but I can't do this all the time. My dad..."

Daehyun nodded, "He'll get suspicious?"

Youngjae sadly looked down, "He doesn't know I was going to show myself to you."

"Right," seeing Youngjae look conflicted, Daehyun reached over and squeezed his hand, "I'm glad you did. This way I don't seem like a pansy, getting kidnapped all the time."

Youngjae smirked, "I never said I wouldn't kidnap you again."

Daehyun laughed, "Fine, but until then how about I show you the castle?"

Youngjae looked around, "It is interesting seeing it from this height."

"And while we are at it maybe I'll get you some clothes too," Daehyun said as he lead Youngjae towards a clothing stall.

"Is this not in fashion?" Youngjae looked down, "I stole these from a castle not too far from here."

Daehyun laughed, "They are too big on you and you stick out. People will think you actually are from that kingdom."

"Maybe it's better for my cover."

"As the actual human here, I say we trust me," Daehyun smirked. "Just remember, don't steal anything even if it's shiny. Then I'll have to throw you in jail."

"Well that would definitely be the reverse of things."

The boys laughed as they walked into the marketplace, their cheerful voices blending in with everyone else. They didn't think about how the thing people feared the most was walking amongst them, nor the fact that they were still holding hands. They just walked, happy that they could finally spend time together, without the need for a dangerous kidnapping.