#011 Birthday Greeting

She's My Kryptonite
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The breeze was colder than before. Jaejoong looked outside the window while clasping his hands together. He thought he really needed to wear his gloves. Autumn’s going to end sooner or later. Despite the relaxing scene outside, he couldn’t help but worry. Siwon just informed him that some of the members of the underground Alice users were spotted near the school. Those rebels are not going to stop not until they take control of the world.

Thinking of the Council’s possible take-over of the school if they find out what’s happening was giving him a very painful headache. The memories of the past flashed in front of him. He shut his eyes.

“Hyung!! Hyung!!” The young Jaejoong screamed on top his lungs as he ran towards his older brother who was lying on the ground. Jaejoong glared at the tall guy just meters away from them. He was holding his other hand. His eyes were bloodshot red with a crazy smile on his face.

“You shouldn’t have stopped me, my friend. This world is going to be mine. I’m just living with this school’s principles. We were taught to be on top and be the best always. Eliminating your opponent is just the first step. You understand, right Junsu?” the tall guy snickered, he’s crazy.

“What did you do to my brother?! I thought you were his friend!!!!” Jaejoong yelled, tears rolling on his cheeks.  Junsu held Jaejoong’s hand, stopping him from charging towards the crazy guy. “Friend” the tall guy repeated. A creepy smile crept on his face then he started laughing. “Friend. There’s no such thing in the world, Jaejoong. Weak creatures are supposed to be killed. Alice users like us should eliminate them. I will create a world with my Alice. A world that I will rule. Now…it’s time for you to die”

Blue flames appeared out of nowhere. “STOP IT MINO!”

Mino, the crazy guy, turned to where the fire Alice user was standing. He was furious. “Oh look who’s here. The almighty blue sparkly flame! The famous teacher of Seoul Academy~ I heard you’re being recruited to be in the Council. It’s quite ironic since you’re the one who hated the Council for turning us into killing machines. I see you’ve changed sides” Mino told him.

Jaejoong was still holding his brother’s hand. Junsu’s still warm but any treatment will not work. He’s just waiting for the time to go. “I’m not changing sides. If we want to change this damn way of governing the world of Alice users, we need to change it from the inside. That’s what I’m going to do. But what you’re doing right now is not going to work. Stop it Mino. Look at Junsu, is that what you say a better way to deal with this thing? You’ve killed people who are innocent! Mino, you still have us. We’re your friends. We’re your family” the fire Alice user tried to convince Mino.

Mino started to laugh hysterically. “Family? Great way to put it up. I’ve got no one. You? Kim Jonghoon? You’ve got a pretty wife and a child. And Junsu? He also has a wife and child. Now where does that leave me? Family? The council killed the only family that I had! The only family Jonghoon! They killed my little brother for not being ‘enough’!! They’re making us into monsters. I will show them what a monster is”

He glared at Jaejoong, ready to kill him. Jaejoong’s heart was pounding very hard. Junsu held his had tightly. “Focus. His Alice won’t work on you. You need to protect Miyoung no matter what. For me, okay? You’ll do that for your brother, right?” Junsu asked between gasps. Jaejoong nodded. Mino started to charge. He’s the best in physical fight and no one had ever won over him in that area. His Alice…is death itself. One touch and it will slowly the life out of whatever’s been touched. Jonghoon threw balls of flames towards Mino but he was dodging them quickly. Talk about astonishing agility. Jonghoon was aiming at his right hand since it’s the hand with the deadly Alice.

Mino was just meters away from Jaejoong. Closer…closer…closer. Jaejoong closed his eyes as he tried to focus. As Mino was about to touch him, Jaejoong opened his eyes. A blinding light took over the whole place and Mino felt a sudden weakening of his body. He stepped back. Jaejoong gasped for air before falling on the ground. Jonghoon took the chance to throw balls of flames on Mino as he ran towards the siblings.

Mino stared at Jaejoong who was looking back at him while gasping for air. “That Alice always amazes me but what are you going to do? It looks like your time’s going to be shorter” he commented. “Teacher!! Jaejoong!!” Seunghyun yelled as he ran towards them. He was with other teachers. Mino’s face turned very serious. “This is not the end. I will make this world mine”

Turning his back on them, he walked away but after walking some meters away, he disappeared-along with the black dust being blown by the wind.

Jonghoon hurriedly went to Junsu’s side. Seunghyun and the other teachers also rushed to see them. “Hang in there buddy” Jonghoon told Junsu while holding his hands. Junsu smiled at him. “Take care of them for me. Look for my princess. Take care of them. And don’t hate Mino too much. He’s right. We’re monsters-killing machines. Bring back the old Mino. Bring him back. I know you’ll do a great job” Junsu was already feeling his breath being pulled out of his lungs.

He looked at Jaejoong who was lying on the ground with Seunghyun on his side. “I’m going to trust that you’ll look over each other, Seunghyun”

Seunghyun nodded without hesitating. “I will look over him”

“Jerk. You’re leaving me with so much responsibilities” Jonghoon joked but his face was showing his grief. “I will. I promise” he finally nodded as a tear fell from his eyes.

Junsu chuckled weakly with all the energy left on him. He’s going soon-very soon. “Don’t cry. You look ugly” he also joked. Everything was turning black. It’s time. He held Jonghoon’s hand tighter. “Sorry. Thank you. My friend”

Everything went silent.

Jaejoong opened his eyes. The cold was really freezing him. He stood from his chair and walked towards the window. He suddenly felt sharp pain on his arm. He rolled up his sleeves. The black mark already reached his wrist. He touched it. Mino’s cursed touch. His time is ticking.

“Oh?” he suddenly stopped and looked outside. “It’s snowing”

A knock from the door tore his gaze from the falling snow. TOP came in with some files on his hands. His eyes immediately narrowed upon spotting the black marks on Jaejoong’s arm. Jaejoong quickly put down his rolled up sleeve then cleared his throat. TOP cannot hide his worry. “What’s with that face?” Jaejoong asked while chuckling.

“Why not let Taeyeon use her Alice on you? Let’s just try. Maybe…maybe it will work and-”

“Seunghyun, you know it will not work” Jaejoong cut him off before sighing. “Reaching this age is already a big achievement. Hyung died when he was my age. If my time comes, I just hope that I could protect these kids”

“Don’t joke around about death” TOP said, deadpan serious. Jaejoong smiled at him then took his seat. “I’m not joking around. Besides, I’m not really planning on dying. Well…I can die after you marry. I can’t wait to see little Seunghyuns all over the place” Jaejoong cracked into a loud laughter. “Ya!” TOP yelled at him, face turning red.

“Ya? How dare you call your superior like that” Jaejoong joked. TOP grunted then looked at the view outside the wide glass window.

“What are you going to do? It’s snowing” TOP asked while taking his seat on the couch. Jaejoong faced the window as he looked up.

Jaejoong smiled brightly. “I’m going to do what I usually do. I’m someone’s angel when it snows anyway”

Hana piled up her books before stretching her limbs. She’s been busy doing some school stuff. She decided to go out of her room. As soon as she stepped outside the dormitory, a smile crept on her face. It’s snowing. She held her hands out to catch for snow. Just like a kid, she was enjoying under the first snow.

She stopped the looked up. “Happy birthday Hana” she greeted herself.

Kai was staring at the wall with a blank look. Kyungsoo caught his odd behavior. “Is there something bothering you? Don’t tell me the wall’s pissing you off” he said while putting the book back on the shelf. Kai shook his head. “Nothing”

He was thinking for the whole day of how to greet Hana for her birthday. He planned on casually greeting her but he thought that she will be suspicious of how he knew that it’s her birthday. ‘Oh I heard your conversation with that kid who was crying and I heard that your birthday is when it snows so happy birthday’-saying that is no. He’d rather bite his tongue and die than say that. It was driving him nuts.

He wanted to greet her before anyone else-before anyone else but he still has no plan and he’s still stuck with Kyungsoo until dinner. Kyungsoo’s another problem. He knows that Hana likes her-by the way she smiles at him. Kai’s not sure of how to treat him-obviously he’s a big opponent but…he’s his friend. He’s sure that he’s the only one who knows that it’s Hana’s birthday-well except for Yumi.

“You’re really weird. You’ve been spacing out. Honestly, is there something wrong?” Kyungsoo asked again. Kai shook his head. “I’m just tired”

“Take a rest then” Kyungsoo told him as he stood. Kai looked at him. “I thought you’ll-”

“If you’re tired, you should rest. There’s always a next time” Kyungsoo cut him off before turning his back on him and leaving Kai’s room.

Kai looked around his room, trying to look for suitable things to give as a present. He stood and walked towards his closet. Upon opening the door of his closet, he saw a box on top of the shelf. He reached for it and took it on his table. He brushed off the dust on top of the cover before opening it. His eyes softened upon seeing a picture on top of all the things that were hidden in there. Without noticing it, he reached for the picture. An automatic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter