Please Try Your Best

Darling, If You Love Me

"Tell me again! What's it like living in America?" Joy enthused once more, her smile dazzling like a faceted gem. Her eyes were wondrous and bright, imagining the world Hayi described. The blonde smiled and happily explained once more all the differences Los Angeles had compared to Seoul. Joy seemed mesmerized by the people's blunt and arrogant nature, their rude and impassive travels to and from their work, and the shamelessness of some young men. 

"It was definitely an experience to have," Hayi muttered after her story. She rather enjoyed the slightly more conservative Seoul, with its metropolitan advances and multitude of people. Sure, their impassive travels were still the same, if not more ruthless, but they were a few more genuine things going on in Seoul than there was in Los Angeles. At least, in Hayi's opinion. 

The two friends sat together at a small cafe and bakery, enjoying their adorably decorated cupcakes and teas. There was never a time when Joy and Hayi didn't get together like this, save for the five-year period that Hayi left for America. Their mothers met like this, towing the two along, and it seemed only fitting that they continued the tradition. Joy had a beautiful green-ombre style that accentuated her bright, lively and a little eccentric nature while Hayi, although she still stood out, her blonde was warm and smooth like the richest of honeys. 

"Oh, to think, Hayi, we're going to be adults soon! I don't think I'm ready for this! You've already ventured out into the world, dear friend, so it's not as bad for you. But for me, I haven't ventured past the borders of Seoul and it's terrible!" Joy cried, expressing her frustration in cute bursts of pouting and huffing. To make herself feel better, Joy bit into her light-blue muffin, some of the icing reaching onto her lips. 

Hayi let out a small bubble of laughter, using her small hand to cover . It was always a bad habit, especially being teased for it for so long in Los Angeles. Like a curious animal, Joy tilted her head at her old friend then grinned at realizing the mess she made. 

"Aww, Hayi," Joy crooned, "Can you clean this up for me?" 

Hayi's laughter became louder as Joy playfully puckered out her tinted lips, making loud smooching noises. To go in with the joke, Hayi sat up and leaned over the table, making equally as loud kissing noises. Before their lips met, they both exploded into fits of laughter like a pair of cute hyenas. People had always commented on how close Joy and Hayi were and it had become somewhat of a joke to express their "lesbianism". Now, Hayi had seen people accuse others of homophobia for making small jokes like the ones Joy and Hayi made. Hayi was utterly heteroual (or even aual for that matter, considering she thought was unnecessary in all cases) but Joy has often voiced out her biuality. Still, even after Joy justified it because she was not offended by their jokes, Hayi always felt a little conscious about such exchanges. 

Was she ever going to voice out her discomfort? Not likely, in all cases. 

Hayi was always afraid to step on people's toes. Even now, with the best friend she's ever had, she couldn't dare think of possibly offending her with her petty preferences.

As she took a sip of her tea, she studied how Joy animatedly spoke about her adventures since they last met. Joy had accidentally spilled coffee on an idol without even realizing it and managed to convince a man not to jump off a bridge. She seemed more proud of the latter, which was so like Joy.

Despite being eccentric, hyper and incredibly charming, she was a very good soul. Joy was always helping people, whether it was opening the door for them or lifting their spirits up about their image, she always went out of her way to make other people feel happy. 

"Oh, Hayi, let me see your latest project! I simply adored your last short story about the hide-and-seek and freezing heart! What was it called again?" Joy sputtered off excitedly as she reached her hand out towards Hayii. The blonde could only smile as she gave her friend the latest rough draft of her newest short story.

"It's called 'Yeji Flowers'," Hayi told her just before Joy became immersed in yet another world of hers. Joy's smile was spread across her face like a shining beacon. She was rather enjoying it that is, until she got to a certain part. Her smile faltered, then slowly began to dissipate as she continued to read. 

Hayi was becoming an internal panic. What didn't Joy like about her new story? She spent quite a while developing the plot... was it far too flat? Was there more rising action needed? Perhaps it was the main character. Had Hayi made him too predictable, too much of a stereotypical male template? 

As Joy finished the last page, Hayi had begun to twiddle her fingers nervously and bite her bottom lip until a small plum-colored splotch formed. The outgoing young woman took a small huff, her eyes clearly fishing for the right words to say. 

"It's not bad, Hayi, trust me," Joy began to say, trying to speak in her usual, upbeat manner, "But I expected more from you. I was expecting to be transported to a different world where magic was in the air and chilling lullabies had the power to catch you in a game of hide-and-seek. I was expecting a story that'd leave goosebumps on my skin."

"But it's a realistic story. I was trying to write a slice of life story. I thought it was pretty good," Hayi muttered, pouting so much that her newly formed bruise was the main feature of her face. 

"It's far too realistic, Hayi. Two male friends fighting each other? Y'know, there's only really two reasons for that. One is because they can and two is because of a girl. This fight had a really predictable ending. Guys aren't like girls, they won't end friendships over squirmish fights like this," Joy explained and shook the small portfolio of papers. "Besides, there was hardly a change and development of character in this and the plot wasn't there enough to move anything forward. It was as if we took a small look at these two kids' everyday lives and nothing interrupted their daily routine. There has got to be something more for people to get hooked into. I don't know, Hayi, I just really think you could've done better."

Hayi was hurt. There was no denying such an emotion. She was offended that all her hard work was completely outdone by her best friend. Joy had tore her esteem apart by uttering such words.

"But, I really worked hard on it. And that's what slice of life stories are like. It's a form of storytelling that literally shows people a slice of life," Hayi countered, sounding much more defensive than she sould have.

Joy's smile never returned. Instead, the young woman grimaced, as if wishing she could turn back time. "Don't get mad at my criticism, please. I was just trying to help." Joy looked so upset and defenseless, as if her words hurt her more than it did Hayi. "It's still good."

"But it's not good enough, right? Hayi has to meet all the expectations on her, even when it comes to what she loves doing, because heaven forbid Hayi does something she wants to do because she wants to," Hayi spat out. She was even more surprised than Joy at her own retort. She was never one to get angry. 

"I didn't mean it like that, really!" Joy pleaded, clasping her hands together in front of her. "I know it's what you want to do and I'm sorry for saying it the way I did."

Joy's eyes suddenly began to sparkle, tears cresting her long lashes before they started to roll down her cheeks. Her eyes shone solemnly, as if she was hiding the weight on her shoulders for a very long time.

"It's just that I know you have so much talent inside you, Hayi. To have it wasted on the type of storytelling that shows no plot, little character development... you're a wonderful storyteller but even I could tell that you're not trying your best with these stories. How can anyone try their best when all they're really doing is observing what goes on around them?"

"What do you mean by that, Sooyoung?" Hayi asked, still sounding incredibly defensive and now, a little bitter. Hayi had even used Joy's real name! Joy was adamant on getting everyone to call her Joy, because not many people in Korea have that name. She wanted to be more unique and that was never going to happen with a name like 'Sooyoung'.

"Stop being mad at me, please! All this time, I've tried to help you gain your confidence! I'm trying to showcase your amazing talent as a storyteller! Your talent deserves to be known! Do you know why I'm doing this? Because I'm your friend. Even more, I'm your best friend. Please, all I'm trying to do is show you how you are better and how you can't settle for less!" Joy cried, her tears falling effortlessly down her rosy, perfect cheeks.

"Why? Why are you placing these expectations on me, Sooyoung? Shouldn't I be allowed to do what I want how I want? There is nothing wrong with this story. There is nothing wrong with wanting to try something that doesn't showcase my supposed talent," Hayi countered with such iciness that Joy froze completely. Her bright eyes dimmed into such a wallowing light that she hardly looked like the Joy Hayi loved to be with.

"Hayi, you can't appreciate what's in front of you," Joy spoke lowly, her voice quiet but sharp like ninja stars slicing through the air. It was clear she was conscious of the other people in the small cafe, much too aware of their wary glances towards them. "You're allowed to showcase your talent. You're allowed to be who you want, to do what you want to do, you're allowed to be yourself. I'm your best friend, Hayi, but I don't even know if you're my best friend. You don't notice the things I've been through because you're too busy being anxious to step out of your comfort zone. Hayi, I'm begging you, please don't waste such an opportunity." 

In that small, infinitesimal moment, Hayi came to realize a lot of things. Joy was always helping people out, so much that it came to be expected of her. There weren't many times when Hayi asked her how she was doing because she always assumed she knew. Joy was always joyous. But, the brightest smiles sometimes hide the worst pain. Hayi should know that. She should've known. But, like Joy implied, Hi's been too wrapped up in her own comfort zone to even notice how much her friend was hurting. And almost immediately, like the friend she should be, she realized what was wrong.

"Your mom's not letting you become a trainee, is she?" Hayi whispered, her voice breaking to reveal her misery. 

Joy shook her head, her tears making her cheeks puffier and ruining the supposed-waterproof mascara she had on. Joy looked even more miserable than Hayi. She began to sob, her shoulders tremoring endlessly. "You're so lucky to be allowed to do what you want to do, Hayi. Mother even said that singing was forbidden! I have to... I have to... I have to be what she says and she says for me to be a good little business woman so I can take over Daddy's company. It's the more honorable way of living. What if I don't become successful, she says. Being a singer only works for so long, she says. Singing is not a living, she says. There's too much pressure, she says. Too much expecatations. Hayi, I want them! I want those expectations! I want to showcase my talent alongside you, too! But I can't. And I know it's selfish of me to put them on you, but I want you to be the best storyteller you can be and your supernatural and surreal stories are the best because I'll never get the chance to! You don't see what's in front of you."

Hayi had many questions that would seemingly solve Joy's dilemma. But even she could answer them herself.

Why not run away? And go where? Joy had no one else but her parents and Hayi's mom. Hayi's mom wouldn't go against her friend's wishes. 

Why not talk about it? Joy's been talking about it for more than six years to her mother. There's been no change whatsoever on the matter.

Why not try out without her mother knowing? If there is one thing Joy isn't, it's a good liar. Her mother would be able to tell right away and believe Hayi, Joy's tried. 

As much as it upset her, Joy had a strong attachment to her family. Nothing will change the fact that she'll always end up doing what they wish for her. It was a vicious sense of obligation that was coated with admiration, affection and pride. She was indeed proud of her father's Korean-grown gape company. Hayi knew this well and how she could've ignored it every time she spoke to Joy actually made her hurt worse than Joy's criticism. 

Because Joy would enjoy her life's situation a whole lot more if she had good, supporting friends.

She still sat there, sobbing. Her shoulders stopped moving. Like a stone fountain, water fell from her eyes in a continuous stream as her doll-like features were set in place. Hayi knew what a friend would do. The honey blonde got up from her seat, her hands trembling as she figuratively stepped out of her comfort zone and literally stepping towards her best friend. Joy was right. Hayi didn't appreciate what was in front of her.

The hug lasted so long that the employee shift had switched and different workers were buzzing around them. But it was such a meaningful hug, something that went beyond the simplicity of skinship. It was Hayi trying to make up for being a lousy friend and Joy trying to say all the terrible things that had happened to her. It was Hayi forgiving Joy for seeming so prude. It was Joy apologizing for her selfishness, though it was much needed. It was Hayi appreciating. It was Joy pulling off her mask. 

"Think of it this way. She's got to let you buy a cat now," Hayi muttered, making Joy let out a weak laugh. Joy always wanted a kitten but her mother always said no because it'd leave cat hair everywhere. It was something Joy's always wished for, even before she wanted to be an idol. 

"Yeah, I should even dye my entire head green. She's got to let me do that," she muttered back. The two giggled before pulling apart from each other.

Their tea became cold and their cupcakes went stale. Regardless, they still ate and talked as if there was no interruption to their outing. Joy suggested the idea of alien cats from space but unfortunately Hayi had to tell her that the idea became a kids' show in America called Kid vs. Kat. Joy also tried suggesting a world where superpowers ruled the world rather than saving it. Hayi contemplated the idea – perhaps the original superpowers tried to help the world and in doing so, they were levitated to the positions of power only to have later generations soon became greedy and power hungry. Perhaps it could work, if Hayi thought on it some more. Joy was right  more challenges arose from fantasy works than slice of life stories, there was no denying it. 

"Oh, the way you'll describe the action and the drama and the indescribable romance!" Joy cooed, clasping her hands together as they walked down the street.

Hayi let out a warm, albeit a little sarcastic laugh. She said nothing regarding Joy's comment. She never truly witnessed romance. After all, Joy had developed a theory about why Hayi was such a wonderful fantasy storyteller. It's because Hayi was estranged, even though she's experienced more than Joy could come up with. Hayi was in her own world, more often than not isolated from everything around her. Despite experiencing such new and diverse real life situations, Hayi has never really paid attention to them or even enjoyed doing such things. Her solace, her comfort zone, was in her stories and there was little people could do to pull her out of them. Joy and Hayi's mother were an exception.

Why?

Because she loved them both enough to be real alongside with them. And she'd do anything to try her best for them. 


Yeah, I know. There's no Sungmin or Ren or Sujin or Cole or David yet. But, I feel this was much needed to understand Hayi more in the other stories, simply because no one else would know Hayi as much as Joy would. (At least, in this universe, ahaha) Thanks for reading! If you liked it, please subscribe, comment, maybe upvote and add me as a friend? :D