A Good Man Lost

All the sides of love

Today is a beautiful day, the second day of spring. Butterflies and birds of various colours are flying free and ecstatic. The clouds in the sky are pure and fluffy, like a child's face. Innocent and smiling.

Flowers are blooming one by one, a fascinating and enrapturing sight. Trees are blossoming succulent looking fruits.

"What a fine day." You would sigh.

Then a shadow appears in the sky. It looks small and harmless from afar but when it dives down gracefully it suddenly doesn't seem all that danger-free. Animals run in the newly flourished forest helter skelter as the eagle swoops down, trapping an innocent grey rabbit no bigger than a palm's size and shredding it to bits in peace as that area is quiet and desolate. The tiny rabbit's family watches painfully from afar as the eagle scrapes off every bit of flesh of their child. And some other vicious carnivorous birds join in.

As the purest of bloods spill onto the fresh green grass, the day suddenly seems not so beautiful...

 

Zi Tao POV
Oh , I'm crying so much I want to throw up...

I took the 12a.m. plane back to Korea just yesterday, sobbing so badly because well, dad died. My father was, no, is an amazing man whom I respect and idolized for all my 19 years of living. The perfect father who didn't use cash to dote on his only child for the fear of spoiling him, and yet he gave the child all his love and care.

My father taught me the principles of being a good man. I miss him....so much. And when my mum called me at 11p.m. in France, I felt my heart shatter.

"ZiTao," I could hear her voice was shaky and hoarse. "Your father, just passed away." Then she broke down sobbing as she hung up.

So here I am, in my house's bathroom, crying my heart out and hugging Didi, the first toy he had ever bought me, my childhood companion till today. He said that Didi looked like me, a panda, and said that Didi could be like my younger brother.

I can't go out to the courtyard where the funeral is being held. I cannot stand the sight of my father's body in a coffin.

Last night, I held those cold hands of his that once gave me warmth, wept on the chest that used to have a strong steady heartbeat when I was hugging him. I can't believe I was partying in college when dad breathed his last breath. And I hate myself for not being with him.

I'm crying again and Didi is getting wet already... moist from tears....it looks sad too. Maybe everything seems sad to me today.

"Zi Tao?" I heard my mother's sad yet worried voice outside. I control my emotions as best as I can and reply.

Yeah?" But it comes out shaky. It's been a long time since I cried this hard.

"It's going to be time to read your father's will." She replied softly. "I think you would want to listen to it, you are his only son afterall."

I got up hastily and patted off some dirt and tears on Didi. Before I unlocked the toilet door I pressed down the lever of the toilet bowl, to, you know, cover up. There were people in the living room too afterall.

"Okay Tao, your uncle is going to make his speech and read the will in five minutes." Mum gave me a hug. "Put Didi back in your room first okay?" She said my hair. I nodded solemnly and went back to my room upstairs.

"Dad, are you there?" I ask looking up into the sky when I am outside the house. The courtyard was full of a bunch of strangers whom I did not recognize. I walk with my head down to my mother and uncle who are near the stage.

 

Yi Fan POV
Luhan ran into the dance room like a crazy . What was he doing huh? Showing the sunbaes he was working so hard? But his words sent the whole room into chaos.

"Guys..." he panted. "Mr. Huang, passed away, as of yesterday morning." My eyes went wide.

Mr. Huang told me he wasn't feeling well last week and explained it as a slight fever and he had to have a checkup. I wanted to accompany him but he told me not to... saying I have a vocal exam scheduled or something.

I should've known.

I'm biting my lip and driving as fast as I can to Huang residence. Memories are flashing back to when I was younger. That fatherly figure I've always dreamt about, the first ever to reach out to me when I was alone. He believed in me and genuinely cared for me. He was like my only family. His love and care was more than my own mother ever gave me.

I bite hard and can taste the salty metal taste of fresh blood flowing in my mouth. It hurts, but the pain cannot be compared to my feelings of losing him. I step hard on the pedal and reach the mansion in less than three minutes.

I walk through the flowered gates. It's springtime yet this happened, what is this world? So beautifully tragic. Then I realize I'm attracting stares. "Oh yeah!" I take down my hat, there wouldn't be any fans here, I should think. Or media, hopefully.

I shudder at the thought of those cameras and mics and questions. I am not in the mood for that.... Now I just wish time could turn back.

"Yi Fan?" I turn around to meet the eyes of Victoria noona, Mr. Huang's secretary, and my sister. "Come, Mr. Huang's will is going to be read out soon." She guided me through the mass of people dressed in black, to a seat right in front of the stage.

"Don't worry, the media is banned from this funeral." She shoots me a reassuring look. Damn, she knows me so well, no wonder she's my sister.

I look around. Black...what a depressing colour. The colour of death. Then I notice someone around my age walking with Mrs. Huang coming this way. Mrs. Huang and the boy look teary and depressed. Especially the boy, he looked exhausted.

That guy looked kind of familiar too... Nah.

Then my vision blurred. Oh not now...

"ing life." I clench my fists in rage.

 

Zi Tao POV
I take a seat beside a lady with red hair who is sitting next to a guy with his head bowed low. That guy must've been close with dad? Maybe a colleague? Or he wouldn't be this sad.

I stare at the picture of my dead father on his coffin. He is smiling, that rare smile which showed true happiness. I hear birds tweeting in the mango tree I used to climb.

"Tao..." I look up from my hands, clutched so tight they were turning numb. I see mum walking here. She takes my cold hands into her warm ones and sits down beside me. I squeeze the hand and she returns the action. 
It's just the both of us now, she and I. Now that dad's not here. I have to take responsibility. I hug her. She was slightly startled but wrapped her arms around my waist.

"Ahem...." The deep voice of uncle Shen sounds through the speakers. I break the hug gently, not taking my hand out of hers and focus on my uncle.

"My brother, was...no, he is a great man. He was always there for me when our dad got drunk every fortnight or so. He always defended me when our father hit us." I clenched my jaw. Grandfather, I heard, was a drinker and was arrested for child abuse... no outsider could've thought that. Gasps were heard throughout the crowd.

I know right? Who would've thought Korea's largest entertainment company's CEO had such a background. Although, the two people beside me were oddly calm.

"Yes, we didn't have a good life. Nicholas was my older brother and he worked sweat and blood for a new chance for us. Finally when he was eighteen and I was sixteen, he told me to pack my bags and he bought one way tickets to Korea." He sighed. "We were homeless, and spent endless nights in Starbucks and McDonalds. Then he met a kindred soul and created NC Entertainment."

"But now...he's gone." I hear him let out a muffled sob. Then he took out an envelope and a scroll of paper. The will. Mum had tears shining in her eyes all over again. I hold in the liquid burning in my eyes. I have to be strong...

"First off, my property." Uncle Shen reads out aloud. "I shall leave my house and car in the hands of my beautiful wife Hui Young. All except my motorbike. That," uncle's voice cracks. "I leave to my only brother, this is the bike that made us who we are. There are so many memories so take good care."

I sit up straight as I listen to the long list of things father has to give. Our library, at home, is left for my twin cousins who adore reading. One third of his money(which is kinda a lot) is going to orphanages and a special sickness research centre in the states.

My dad is such a kind hearted person, I can't help but think. I gotta be like him, and work hard. Father is my inspiration for life. My mother rests her head on my shoulder so my suit is wet with warm tears.

"And finally, I have a letter for my only beloved son and I leave my company in his hands." My eyes widen. Me?? Uncle Shen gestures for me to go upstage and passes to me the envelope in his hands.

"My son, I know that you are responsible and disciplined enough to take on NC Entertainment, you can do it." He puts an arm around me and I finally cannot take it and break down.

"A-appa was an a-amaz-zing man. I will do my best." I say in between tears and hiccups. I won't let dad down. But...can I take over NC?

CRASHH!

I look up in horror to see the man with his head bowed low just now get up and mercilessly kick his chair, so hard.

"NO ONE HAS ANY RIGHTS TO REPLACE MR. HUANG! I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ING ARE!" He had a white mask on and his voice was deep and loud. He ran out the gates leaving us dumbfounded.

Is he right? I really don't have any rights to take over NC Entertainment... I too run down the stage into the house.

 

Hui Young(Mrs. Huang) POV
My tears fall like rain and stopped when I heard the loud crash.

"NO ONE HAS ANY RIGHTS TO REPLACE MR. HUANG! I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ING ARE!" As much as I am shocked to hear swearing, I recognize that voice. And I understand why the owner of the deep voice acted so.

But then Zi Tao's face contorts with hurt and sadness beyond what I have ever seen and he runs inside.

I stay where I am, because I know my baby need some peace and time by himself.

 

Zi Tao POV
I tear open the envelope and my father's familiar scrawl enters my sight.

I slammed the door close as I throw myself down onto the mattress and hug Didi. Tears streaming down my face for the umpteenth time in the last 24 hours.

What have I done to earn my dad's company? Even his colleague denies me. I am not yet ready.... Am I? I read the letter in tears.

 

"To my beloved son Huang Zi Tao,

When you read this, I have most probably been called back by God, stay strong. Help me take care of your mother, she too, isn't young. I am sorry for having not much time for you two, I was too engrossed in work, and neglected you and your mum. But you my son, are forever my pride, thank you for being such and independent and disciplined boy since young, and know the principles of how to treat others. Remember always, what I have taught you. Today, you are responsible and disciplined enough to take over my company, so I hand it to you. Take care of the idols, don't overwork them, they are only human afterall. As for the trainees, I hope you will give them a chance to debut as they are all talented youths. Now that dad isn't beside you you need to work hard, good luck, stay strong and happy.
I love you my son.

Nicholas Huang"

Dad...my hands tremble and the tears only spill more vigorously. I cannot let dad down.

I will be the one he believes in.

I will take over NC Entertainment.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Trailer's out~ So is this prologue~ Ehehe