Midnight Highway

Midnight Highway

It was late. The road was eerily lonely, with no signs of the slightest bit of stars and the moon was shy, shrouded by the clouds. Working overtime had taken most of the moment of his day from his family. But hey, he got a family to feed. In this day and age, money just doesn’t come that easily. Being in the office till late night was so common for Kris that he hadn’t met his family much over the month. And since his wife is working as well, they hardly had time to talk. At times, it felt like their relationship’s gone colder and colder as it goes. So he thought that he should fix it. Today, he brought home the fanciest necklace he saw at the store today to surprise her. He dearly hoped that she’ll like it.

 

As focus returned his eyes to the road, Kris realized how long the intervals between each cars coming from the opposite direction. The lights from the other side come from 50 seconds to two minutes. It was very noticeable since the road was very dark especially since the streetlights were not functioning. It had gotten incredibly lonely that he ended up humming the song “I Started a Joke” by Bee Gees. “I started a joke…which started the whole world laughing…but I didn’t see……….that the joke was on me”

 

And suddenly a car from the opposite the high beam of the headlight. Damn, it was a bit blinding. Don’t these drivers have any manners? He thought that car was incredibly rude. So he cussed at him with all he got. And then the same thing happened with the next car. He suddenly turned the high beam when he was facing him. At that time Kris still had no idea why would anyone do that. But as Kris looked closer to the driver, he noticed that he had a panicked gaze at Kris’s car. “What, you’re afraid at me now after pissing me off with that high beam? Lucky that I am a good Canadian or I’ve gone and done it with ramming your car off the side road.” Kris mumbled himself. Kris thought that was the end of it.

 

Until another car comes five minutes later. This time however, the driver was shaking as if he was staring death at the face. Slowly he raised his hand and pointed upwards… …….towards the roof of Kris’s car. Something…………was there. And that was when he realized that those high beams were meant to warn him. But it was too late…