That Night

That Night

I was in my dorm, reading a book as usual on my bed when my roommate Jessica came in grinning. Jessica and I have been friends and roommates since freshmen year of college. We're now juniors. The difference between Jessica and I is our personalities and lifestyles. She's the pretty, social butterfly with the brains while I'm just...well the brains. I look up from my book and greet her.

“Hey, what's up"

“Nothing much" she shrugged. "Just got invited to a bonfire tonight.” 

“Oh cool, are you going to sleep somewhere else tonight then?” I ask since I knew she would be drinking.

“The thing is Hann, I kind of said you were gonna go” she sheepishly told me.

“Why would you say that Jess?! I don't go to parties and you know that!” I said irritated

“I know, but it's kind of a roommate thing and I would totally be left out without my roommate”she said while pouting.

“Way to conform to peer pressure. I can't believe it Jess! How can you be so selfish!” I fumed.

“Hann, I'm doing you a favor! You need to get out and have fun once in awhile. You'll get to meet new people!”

“I'm not like you! I can't easily talk to strangers. I can't easily be whatevers about anything! I'm boring remember. B-O-R-I-N-G.” I stressed.

“Please Hann, you read so much and you don't have anything to talk about?” she asked raising her eyebrow.

“For your information, I read novels rather than intellectual books as a hobby. I thought you knew me better” I say as I cross my arms.

Jessica rolls her eyes and looks at me.

“Whatever, can you please come with me?”

“You want me to come after you roll your eyes at me? As if.” I fume as I turn my attention back to my book.

Jessica comes towards me and kneels in front of me.

“Please Hann, I'll tell you the truth...I-I've been talking with a guy.” she says as I see her blush and look down.

Did I just hear her stutter? I bring my attention towards her and smirk.

“Oh really now? So who's the unlucky guy?” I say as I start teasing.

“He's not unlucky, and his name is Eunhyuk okay” she says glaring at me.

“Eunhyuk? The guy you met three months ago!” I say, shocked as I let go of my book realizing I forgot to put a bookmark.

“Yea..”she said as she blushes again.

“Whoa there Jess, this is serious. I didn't know you can commit to someone for so long. He's even able to make you blush.” I tease as I poke her cheek.

“Shut up, I don't need your teasing Hann” She glares.

“Yea, yea... I know. You need my presence at this bonfire rather than my support. I really see how this is Jess” I say with a dull expression.

“Please Hann! Do it for me?!” She says as she pouts again.

I hold her hands and smile and she starts smiling back.

“You're gonna have to try harder than that” I say as I let go of her hands and start reaching for my book.

Her smile rapidly turns upside down hearing my response.

“I didn't want to do this Hann” she says as she grabs her phone from her pocket as I glare at her.

“Don't you dare start threatening me Jess” I say as I start getting up from my bed to grab her phone.

“You leave me no choice but to result into this Hann, I'm gonna have to call your --”

“Fine...I'll go, just...please don't call” I say defeated as I slouch back on my bed.

“Yay! I just knew you would want to go!” She said as she started getting excited.

“Yea, yea whatever, you're gonna owe me though” I sigh heavily.

“You need to change and fix yourself a bit though” She says as she scrutinizes my attire.

“If I remember correctly, bonfires are at night. No one will judge me for what I'm wearing.” I say.

“Nope, change into something nicer. Jeans are fine, you should wear the ripped ones, converse too but you need to take off that giant hoodie” she says as she starts going towards my closet.

“But my hoodie keeps me warm and fuzzy” I say as I hug myself.

“Hann, stop. Just wear this tank and plaid shirt. I'll put light makeup on you and help you with your hair a bit.”

“Fine” I pout giving up against arguing with Jess and start changing.

“Let me put some natural makeup on you”

“Do I have to? It's going to be at night Jess.”

“Hann, bonfires start before sunset so you won't be completely in the dark.” Jess says as she starts putting makeup.

“Plus it's not a lot, some sunscreen, a little concealer, eyeliner, mascara and lipstick and you are ready!” she says as she smiles and claps her hands.

I roll my eyes and search for a mirror to look at myself. I find it and upon seeing myself I'm impressed with Jess's skills. It was simple makeup and it didn't seem I had much either.

“Hey Jess...what are you gonna-” I start asking as I turn to Jess who is fully changed with jeans, flipflops, and a loose shirt. She braided a small part of her hair and left the rest wavy and loose and had simple makeup as well.

“Oh nevermind” I consciously look at myself in the mirror and slightly frown. Jess looked beautiful in that simple and casual ensemble while I'm just a mess.

“Hann let me do your hair!” She started straightening it and adding small curls on the tips of it, smiling brightly satisfied with her work.

I look at her with worry but was quickly brought up on my feet as Jessica grabbed my wrist and said that we should leave soon.

I grabbed my phone and keys while Jess took one last look at both at us and grinned widely with a glint in her eyes but I shrugged it away. Jessica is weird, I've come to accept her how she is.

“Hannah, you're going to love the atmosphere around my friends” Jess excitedly said.

“Jess, is this like a prep talk to prepare me for the worst?” I say as I dragged myself to walk towards the beach as our university is a block away from it.

“Whatever Hann, Eunhyuk's roommate is going to be there, so you can hang out with him as well. You can stop frowning, it's not like I'm bringing you against your will.” She said as she linked her arms with mine.

“The thing is Jess you kind of are in your own special kind of way when you wanted to call my--”

“Jessica!” we both hear as she quickly turns to the owner of the voice and chirps a “Hey Eunhyuk!”

Upon hearing that I glance towards her and raise my eyebrow and slightly smile before slowly turning to the other people.

I faced the two strangers as Jessica started talking with who I assumed was Eunhyuk as I slightly smiled to who I assumed was his roommate. I looked away for awhile and turned to Jess who was animatedly talking with Eunhyuk as we just stood there at the sidewalk.

I didn't really know what to do but stand there so I just did the thing that would get Jess's attention.

I poked her belly.

She instantly covered her stomach and slightly glared at me sending me a look of disbelief as she hissed “Hann”

“Oh hey you remember me, for a minute there I thought I had gained the power of invisability when Eunhyuk came. Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore” I say as I roll my eyes and smirk.

We both hear some chuckles from the two strangers.

I raise my eyebrow at their direction as Jessica glances their way.

“Right! Eunhyuk, this is my roommate Hannah”She says as she points towards me and I smile at him and say a quiet “Hey”

“And this is...Eunhyuk's roommate...Um-”Jess started as she gave the roommate a questioning look.

“Donghae” He responds as he grins.

“Donghae! Hann this is Donghae” Jess repeats.

I look at her. “Jess” I start saying as she turns to me. “I'm blessed with the gift of hearing, no need to repeat” I say as I slightly smile back to Donghae.

“Shut up Hann” She responds.

“Let's go!” She says as she links her arms with mine and leads us towards the beach with the guys behind us.

“Don't you think he's cute” Jess whispers out of nowwhere which scares me.

“What?”

“Eunhyuk and Donghae”

“Eh... um...I guess? I wasn't really looking at them” I say as I shrug.

Jess starts pouting as she sighs to herself.

“Why?” I ask

“Eh? Nothing...” She says as she straightens herself out.

I look at her questioningly but shrug it off.

“How is this suppose to work” I slightly hear Jess but she then yells “The beach!”

I look at the direction she is looking and grin widely as we start walking faster towards the beach totally forgetting about the guys behind us.

 

Upon arrival to the location of the bonfire I immediately regretted coming.

The group of people were not at all my kind of people. They were all the social butterflies and those who were extroverts. They totally got along fine with people. Once Jessica introduced me to them everyone smiled and some tried to make me comfortable which only resulted in the opposite. I was the one that was different, it wasn't them it was me.

They offered me snacks which I timidly accepted and booze which I wanted to refuse but was aware that may seem rude of me. After getting a few snacks I looked for Jess but noticed she wasn't around and that made me so lost. So I just sat on a rock facing the beach as I stuffed my face with food to cover up my sadness from not fitting in. As I watched the peaceful waves wallowing in my loneliness and boredom I felt someone else's presence next to me on the sand. Aware of a stranger's presence, I consciously sipped the red cup full of the bitter beer some girl had handed me earlier afraid that they would start conversation.

“You know you don't have to finish that” a guy's voice told me which made me turn to my side when I noticed it was Eunhyuk's roommate, Donghae.

“Oh yea I know” I say as I started to sip more than I usually was consuming before and turned back to watch the waves. Watching the waves, it made me want to go closer to them. I pushed my glasses up on my nose and chugged the rest of the bitter drink before placing the cup on the sand, taking off my shoes and holding them in my hand. I went towards the ocean totally ignoring the other person that sat beside me.

 

The sand was soft as expected. Once I had reached the wet sand I started to curl up my toes squishing it between my toes. I started to walk alongside the edge while I just looked ahead, the sun slightly turning orange. I went closer to the water and dipped my feet, regretting it right after. I went back to walking along the wet sand as I went further and further away from the bonfire towards a little cave too small for me to fit in, but that didn't matter, I was content in just looking at it. As I noticed the sun slowly setting, I stopped in my tracks and watched the remaining of it go down. I had decided to keep walking but contemplated if I should return back when I decided it was better if I just went back to the dorm. I turned around only to bump into somebody. As I fixed and cleaned my smudged glasses I look up towards the person I had bumped into and widened my eyes when I noticed it was Donghae. He shyly smiled towards me as heat started radiating towards my face from embarrasment.

“Sorry” I quickly say.

“No, it's fine. It was my fault anyways.”

“Okay I-Um I should, I'm-” I stammered as I looked down hoping that I could leave.

“Wasn't the sunset beautiful?” he asked as I look up and see him staring at the ocean where the sun used to be as I myself turn towards it.

“Yea, it was. It was breathtaking” I respond.

“Yea, just like what I'm looking at”  I turn back to him to see where he was looking at only to see him looking straight at me. Confused, I turned my head behind me to see if he saw something else, but the only thing I saw was the little cave.

“That little cave is quite something” I say as what I assumed was the breathtaking sight he had seen.

He chuckled.

“No, you” he said as I quickly turned around shocked.

“What?” I breathed out as I couldn't believe my ears.

He possibly couldn't be seeing correctly.

“You're breathtakingly beautiful” he repeated with sincere eyes that I just couldn't help but feel warmth throughout my whole body.

As shocked as I was I stared at him and frowned.

“Stop, you don't have to say lies. Honestly, I'm okay with how I look. There's no need to be overly nice” I say as I start walking away.

“Hold up!” He says as he starts following me as I keep walking towards the others planning to go back to the dorm.

“I didn't say that to make you feel better, I'm telling you the truth. I really think you're beautiful and quite funny as well” He said.

I stopped in my tracks as I hesitate to turn to him.

“Thanks, but I don't feel comfortable with you telling me that.” I tell him as I look into his eyes, melting in them, as I turn back walking forwards onto the sidewalk.

“Hannah, wait!”

I sigh as I look at both sides of the street to start crossing the street.

“You're stubborn as well, it seems” He says panting beside me.

I keep walking until I come to a halt as Donghae blocks me from continuing.

“Yes? May I help you?” I ask as I raise an eyebrow and cross my arms.

“Why, yes you may help me”

“I want to hang out with a girl but she's being quite stubborn and brushing me off”

I slightly blush but retort back.

“I guess she doesn't want to talk to you then” I shrugged.

“Then why are you?”

Taken aback I didn't respond right away as he smiles softly.

“Hi, I'm Donghae. Nice to meet you.” he says as he extends his hand towards me.

I look at it longer than I should've and shook it saying”Hannah”

“I'm a junior studying MicroBiology with a minor in music” he says. “What about you?” as he grins.

“Majoring in Literature and minoring in psychology” I say back unconsciously.

“Oh very nice, I'd like to invite you to drink coffee if you don't mind or a restaurant whichever you would like” He says as he grins.

“Um...Whatever is nice” I say.

“Hold up you're not kidnapping me right?” I dumbly say.

He downright laughs out loud.

“Of course not! Why would I?”

“I don't know... something along the lines of a beautiful lady rejecting you comes to mind” I say.

“See, that's what I like about you. Your bluntness.” He says.

“Whatever” as I cross my arms.

“I just want to go back to my dorm, rest and read my book” I say as I start walking.

“Oh you're that type of person.” he says as I turn back annoyed.

“Yea, whats it to you?”

“Well I would say you should get out of your cacoon and rest some other way, maybe watching a movie?!” He says as he clasps his hands and excitedly grabs my hand.

“I know just the one!” as he forcefully drags me towards campus.

 

“Hold up, why are we here?” I ask as we start walking into a dorm building.

“We're gonna watch a movie” as he ushers me through the hallways.

“Why here?”I stressed.

“It's cheaper if we watch it on my laptop plus I have Netflix and lots of movies downloaded!”He brightly smiles at me as he gestures to come into a dorm room.

I hesitantly walked in, cautiously checking my surroundings, noticing the exits in the hallway towards the outside.

"Will you please just chill, I know you're not in your habitat but let's just have fun" Donghae looks towards me as I look back towards him.

"I am no animal for you to say I live in a habitat" I say as I pout.

"Yea sure, that was so cute of you" making me blush right away.

"You know what, I don't even understand why I'm here. I don't just go to stranger's dorms and put myself in danger. I'm just going to leave now." I say as I start heading to the door.

"Aww c'mon Hannah, when was the last time you had fun?" Donghae questions me.

This made me stop because in reality I didn't really go out much, at least not without Jessica. She is my best friend, how could I not? She didn't exactly share the same likings but I loved her company. Plus Jessica didn't like to read much for fun so if I wasn't reading I was with Jess. So this totally got me thinking. Why don't I have many friends?

I turned around and unconsciously pouted and agreed with Donghae.

"Fine. I'll stay but don't go crazy and start harrassing me or else I will yell"

"That is completely fine with me" Donghae says as he starts positioning the laptop on his desk.

"Ok, so we can either sit on the chairs or sit on my bed which is right next to my desk." He says pointing to his bed.

"Um..the bed is fine...I guess. We could sit with our backs to the wall. It'll be more comfortable like that I guess." I say as I awkwardly start taking off my shoes but realized I had sand on my feet.

"Here, you can wear them so you can be more comfortable on the bed" Donghae says as he gives me a pair of socks.

I hesitantly grabbed them and started putting them on as he goes and make popcorn in his microwave.

"Donghae" I say.

He looks at me as I start saying " How did you end up at the bonfire and why are you being super nice to me?" I ask curious for his reasons.

"Ah, Eunhyuk said something about it being a roommate bonfire and that I had to go. I wasn't really in the mood but I agreed because he said there was going to be food. Though he left me alone right away and no one else had their roommates there except Jessica and Eunhyuk so I don't understand why he said that but now I'm glad I went because I got to meet you" He responds with a huge grin.

My temperature started rising.

"Huh, Jess said the same thing" as I slightly squint my eyes.

"Yeah? Weird. Well the reason I'm super nice to you is because I like you"

My eyes widen and the heat inside the room increased.

"What do you mean you like me?"

"I mean I think your'e pretty, you're funny, you're stubborn, you're sarcastic, you're peaceful, you're you and I love the way you smile. For some reason when I first saw you I couldn't take my eyes off of you. It was funny watching you be awkward but I thought it was cute. I want to get to know you better. I feel like you would be an awesome person to have in my life" he says turning red as well.

I was flattered but at the same time confused and embarrassed.

"I'm flattered" I say timidly while hiding my face in my palms.

"Thanks for liking me and not being a weirdo. You're embarrassing me for sure but I-I really appreciate that you would go this far to make me feel nice even though we just met"

"Hey, c'mon don't turn red" only making me red even more.

"Let's just watch the movie you say will relax me" I say as I start to calm down.

 

"Really?"

"Yes, really"

"Donghae, How is Harry Potter suppose to relax me?" 

"I thought you would enjoy it" he says sheepishly then widens his eyes and slightly frowns.

"Don't tell me you don't like it." he says quite seriously.

I turn to my right to look at him and slightly smile.

"Well-"

"Damn it, I should've asked! Lemme find another movie then!" he says as he starts scooting towards the edge of the bed.

I lean forward and grab his arm as he stops and turns to look at me confused.

I slightly frown. "You need to calm down and not rush into conclusions. I was going to say that Harry Potter is one of my favorite movies. But no you had to be rude and interrupt me" as I finish with an eye roll.

"Oh, then I guess we should start then. Shall we?" as he smiles brightly and I nod as a response.

We sat on his bed enjoying every bit of it.

"It's LeviOsa, not LeviosAH" I repeated with Hermione.

"Memorized it I see"

I turn to my right to face Donghae, but his face was way too close to mine. I looked into his smiling eyes and smiled while my face was heating up.

"Yea, guess so" I quickly turn back to the movie.

"Hey, you cold?" he asks as he gives me a blanket.

"Sorry I only have one, do you mind sharing?"

"Umm...no. Thanks." Yes I did mind, plus it's naturally hot in here or was that my imagination?

"You know my favorite movie is probably the second one" he says as I turned to face him.

"No way! Mine too! Although it probably lacks the development of the characters since the story is just beginning. I think it has the most mystery in my opinion." 

"Plus wasn't the basilisk an awesome addition!" I nod.

"The story was still happy even if there were some sad events that happened.

"That's why I like it plus there is no scene that I really hate. Though Gilderoy Lockheart was annoying."

"Oh my gosh yesss, where have you been my whole life! No one understands my utter dislike for that guy" I blurted out. Realizing what I just said, I focused my attention on the movie and grabbed the blanket.

"It seems I found my soulmate" he said smiling brightly,

"Shush, don't be so blunt" I mumble embarrassed of the result of my idiocy.

"Why can you be blunt and I can't?" he asks teasingly.

"Shhh, we're getting to the good parts" 

"Alright fellow potterhead." he says as he gives up.

I smile as I was able to get his attention back to the movie.

In the middle of our favorite second movie, I started to get sleepy. I still wanted to watch the movie. I got comfortable leaning my head on Donghae's shoulder trying to keep watching but after hearing Ron's "Why spiders?, why couldn't it be follow the butterflies" I closed my eyes.

 

"OH MY GOSH, HANNAH!"

I wake up to the sound of Jessica's voice.

"What?" I say as I hug something harder.

"Hannah, you need to wake up"

"Why? I'm sleeping."

"We need to go back to our room"

"What do you mean go ba--" I open my eyes quickly and look at what I'm hugging and push it away from me as I get up quickly.

"Ow, what was that for?!" Donghae asks as he gets up from the floor after I pushed him off his own bed.

"Sorry" I quickly mumble.

"I was sleeping...wait..." Donghae looks at me, then Jessica and then Eunhyuk.

"Did we..." he stared at me. "...sleep together?"

"Just sleep, that's it" I say quickly, embarrassed since both Jessica and Eunhyuk saw us hugging each other.

"You know Hann..." oh no, the teasing is about to start.

"...you guys look good together" Eunhyuk finishes Jess's statement.

I turn to look at Eunhyuk and Jess's expression. Eunhyuk grins while Jess's smile tells me to go for it.

"And it's not because you slept together but you guys looked good at the bonfire"

I look at Donghae cautiously as he stares back at me. He averts his eyes away from me and rubs the back of his neck. He glances back at me and then stares at me again with a smile as I watch him.

"I know we've just met and all but, would you...would you like to go out on a proper date with me?" he asks smiling.

I stare at him and smile.

"I would like that."

 

 

 

A/N: I wrote this on a whim because I had a dream about Donghae and we were on a beach lol. Plus who doesn't like Harry Potter!? Thanks for stopping by!