When the door closes

When the door closes

Lack of communication never does any good.

Drama/Sad/'Relationship'

Words: 2388

Pairing: Onho, Jongyu

 

 

"Minho?" Jinki tried.

 

"Yes!" He snapped, annoyance evident in his voice. 

 

Jinki bit his bottom lip , contemplating what his next move should be or what he should say next. Minho flipped a page in his novel ever so violently which only made Jinki more uncomfortable in his presence. 

 

Minho found the silence unnerving and deafening. Jinki could be such a nuisance at times especially when he craved solitude. With everything going on at work, his stupid work, his father, he still had to deal with relationship problems. 

 

"It's fine." Jinki decided in the end. "Never mind."

 

Minho tried to ignore the other's departing footsteps. He tried to will himself to believe that the fading sound of socked feet across hardwood floor was not an indication that he was actually losing this battle. His father was wearing him down and Jinki wasn't alleviating the predicament.

 

Minho let his head fall back against the wall behind him for support. The floodgates opened and tears escaped unperturbed.

 

.....

 

"Thank you and have a nice day."

 Minho acknowledged the final customer with a smile he perfected over the last 3 years of slaving in the dingy fast food restaurant. He retreated to the worker's quarters in the back and began gathering his possessions. When he slipped out the doors it was pouring outside. He rushed across the street and managed to scrape a few items to prepare a stew for Jinki and himself that night and hopefully make up for blowing up in his face the previous day.

 

"Thank you sir and enjoy your night." The cashier said. 

 

Minho grimaced when he realized he only had enough change for a ride home.

 

Jinki better love him.

....

 

Minho's mouth opened in utter shock when he ran inside his apartment, its warmth welcoming him, to see packed bags adorning the front door.

 

He dropped the bag of ingredients on the kitchen counter and relieved himself of other baggage he dragged to his job every day. 

 

Minho was soaked from the downpour but confronting Jinki was priority.

 

He quickly hurried to shared bedroom to find it void of all Jinki's possessions. Minho's heart accelerated in unwanted anticipation of the impending doom.

He scanned the bathroom, closet and the gym room with frantic eyes. With each room accounted for, it became more apparent what was going on but he couldn't bing himself to believe it

 

Although he was exhausted and worn out he sacrificed napping and began making the stew.

Momentarily, the front door creaked open and Jinki entered.

 

Minho ran to meet him, his heart in his throat.

 

"Jinki." He rasped and managed a tired smile." Jinki.." His smile faded when Jinki stuffed his hands in the front pockets of his jeans.

 

"I'm spending the weekend with Jonghyun. I think you need some time alone." Jinki stated, his stare never faltering, his words never slipping over each other as if he'd rehearsed the statement and perfected his performance. 

"He's in the car waiting right now."

 

"If this is about yesterday I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything I said." Minho said desperately. "If this about the marriage, I'm trying. Jinki, I'm trying." Minho cried.

 

"Minho, you need some time to decide, to sort out your life."

 

Minho eyes dropped to Jinki reaching for his bags. Suddenly it was as if supernatural being overtook him and Minho tore the suitcase from Jinki's hands.

 

"You're not leaving me!" Minho screamed. "You cant leave me. I gave up everything for you, you bastard. Everything!" Minho cried and pounded this fists on Jinki's chest.

Jinki overpowered his weak attacks and braced him against the wall.

 

"Minho!" 

 

Minho stilled his movements in an instant.

 

"She's pregnant." Minho head snapped upwards to meet Jinki eyes clouded with tears. "She's pregnant with your child. How can I compete with that?"

 

He removed Minho's hands from his chest.

 

"That's impossible." He rebutted. 

 

Jinki shook his head in disbelief. 

 

"Jinki!." Minho tried. "I haven't been with her. I haven't been with her in over six months."

 

Just then Jinki phone rang, interrupting Minho's pleading.

 

"Jonghyun ...yeah I'll be down shortly." Jinki's words seem to fuel Minho anger.

 

"Jinki.. you have to believe me."

 

Jinki refused to meet his eyes. 

 

"At this point...I don't know what to believe." He cleared his throat,.

 searching for the strength to go on without falling apart. "You need to listen to your father."

 

"What?" The word fell from the younger's lips in an almost inaudible whisper. He stepped back aimlessly trying to decipher what Jinki just said. Had he gone mad, insane? His mind was fogged with a mixture of emotions. 

He could only watch, helpless, as Jinki took his leave, no more words spared.

 

The door closed.

 

....

 

Minho waited at the serving counter of the god forsaken restaurant he devoted his week days. The establishment buzzed with customers' chatter here and there and at times there was an uproar of laughter. 

 

When a lady presented a ticket, he began filling the order not really thinking about his work but operating on autopilot. The lady smiled and thanked him. 

 

In a room full of people, he'd never felt more alone.

 

....

 

It had been a week since Jinki left and the hope in saving his relationship dwindled each passing day. There had been no contact, no attempt at communication. Minho had picked up the phone many times just to hear Jinki's voice again but the other would only reiterate settling things with his father.

 

"I miss him." 

 

When he heard the desperation and emptiness in his own voice, Minho never knew how Jinki's presence brightened his days until he was left in darkness.

 

....

 

Minho smoothed the hair on his head suddenly self-conscious. His father sat before him and an array of delectable dishes were placed between them.

 

"Son." His father's baritone voice sounded. "Come home and be with your wife. We are your family. She is your family."

Minho tried to ignore the itch the stiff formal suit was causing.

 

"I don't love her." he said in a gentle tone. He promised himself he would be civil. 

"I love Jinki."

 

"Jinki can't give me an heir!" His father shouted. "I refuse to disown my only son." He went on more calmly. He straightened his tie, cleared his throat and pressed on. "Your wife is pregnant and it is your child. Thank the heavens for technology and artificial insemination."

 

Minho felt the burning behind his eyes. 

 

"Why are you doing this to me?" He whispered in anguish. 

 

His father picked up his knife and delved into the meal

 

"As far as I'm concerned this discussion is over. Now pick up your fork and eat your food."

 

......

 

Minho had strived all his life to be independent, confident. His father overpowered him, overshadowed him since birth. He was as prominent in the young male's life as an irremovable stain. Minho finally decided to make things right. Maybe if he pleased his father everything else would fall into place. He could learn to love his child. He could try to appreciate his wife and live amicably but loving her was out of the question.

 

Just when Minho thought he had sorted out a new approach at a pleasant life his hope went up in flames when he saw Jinki in the supermarket, shopping. He looked so thin and fragile. His forehead skin creased in ripples of concentration as he perused his grocery list.

 

Minho hadn't seen him in 3 weeks. 3 weeks too long but he had to keep his distance for his father had hired watchful eyes. Eyes that never slept.

 

Minho's heart fluttered as he began approaching Jinki.

 

"Jinki I found the wine you wanted."

 

A chirpy voice caused Minho's smile to falter and halt his steps.

 

"Ah!" a satisfied smile graced Jinki's tired face. "Perfect Jonghyun."

 

Jonghyun chuckled and pecked Jinki's lips.

 

Minho almost threw up his heart. He must have been imagining things, right? He wasn't eating well lately and he was a bit sleep deprived.

 

Jinki placed the wine in the hand-basket and turned to continue down the aisle only to be met with Minho's figure.

Jinki stood frozen trying to appreciate the person before him. The brown coat seemed to swallow Minho whole, his body so meek and small. 

 

"Minho.." Minho tightened the grip on the pack of rice he held. Jinki sounded as broken as he looked.

 

Jonghyun must have noticed the silent reunion much to his dislike because Minho's dancing eyes didn't miss the way he grabbed on Jinki's shoulder, whispered something low in his ear then rubbed his bony fingers up and down his arm in a flirtatious manner all while making eye contact with Minho. 

 

The gaul.

 

Jonghyun better watch it if he wanted to keep that arm. The steam coming from his ears hampered his hearing because Jinki said something to the other resulting in them having some alone time. Jonghyun wasn't content until he spared Minho a glare before stalking off.

 

"Congratulations."

 Jinki opted to speak first.

 

"Are you having with him?" Minho's voice sharp and blunt.

 

"I missed you, you know." Came Jinki's reply and obvious evasion of the question.

 

"Are you ing him?" The younger demanded, pushing the bull aside and taking the bull by the horns.

 

Jinki bit his lip in frustration, willing himself to not cause a scene in family-friendly public space.

 

"You haven't seen me in a month. We haven't spoken at all during that period and now we happen to stumble upon each other and the first thing you want to know if I'm having with the person who was willing to take me in when you gave up?"

 

"I never gave up on us!"

Jinki laughed bitterly.

 

"Yes that's why you blew up in my face everyday, avoided me and came home late all night just to avoid any sort of communication and intimacy."

 

Minho bottom lip quivered. "My father-"

 

"Threatened to have me killed." 

Jinki interjected shutting up Minho instantly. "My sanity is annihilated because of that...terrorist." 

 

Minho took a step back and tried to catch his breath.

 

"Jinki I was ignorant to all of this. I-I ..." 

 

"Does it really matter if I'm sleeping with Jonghyun?" 

 

Minho looked up to meet Jinki eyes as dry as stones and black as charcoal.

 

"A-Are you?"

 

"You seem like you know the answer already."

 

Minho's eyes prickled with tears. He regret not telling the other how he felt. He'd taken Jinki for granted. What had he been waiting for? For them to drift apart before convincing himself that he'd fallen a victim to love? Now he didn't feel so tough and rebellious.

 

"I love you so much it hurts."

 

"What?" Jinki's eyes widened. 

 

"You've never said...all this time."

"I know." Minho quickly brushed his tears away. 

 

"I-" Jinki stopped when he saw Jonghyun beckoning him over, indicating he was through with cashing."have to go." He finished. "Your wife is lucky."

 

Minho refused to watch Jinki walk away from him a second time. So he stood tall with the rice against his chest and continued down the aisle.

 

....

 

"Yes, it's a boy." The Doctor said and explained the image on the screen. Minho forced a grin and Haerin sighed in relief. Their eyes met for a few seconds and she slipped her hands into his. The feeling was foreign and Minho retracted his arm and went outside. He didn't even wait for the print out of the three dimensional pictures of the foetus. 

A child shouldn't come about in that way , in animosity and misery. 

 

He'd moved back into the home his father purchased. The home he shared with the woman he was forced to marry and would soon share with his son.

 

A day never passed without a thought of Jinki. He found himself fantasizing raising his son with him, waking up to his kisses and spending eternity together.

The past 3 months had been the most painful and agonizing ones he'd ever experienced.

 

....

"Hello?"

 

Minho listened for a while.

 

"Hello?" The voice asked again.

 

"Don't hang up."

 

A few seconds elapsed before either said a word.

 

"Minho." Minho held back a sob.

"How are you?"

 

"My life is empty without you."

Jinki exhaled deeply. 

 

Not the response he was hoping for.

 

"Don't worry. Your world will soon be filled with joyous laughter and cries that'll never annoy you." Jinki chuckled. Minho couldn't bring himself to smile.

 

"Do you still think of me?"

 

"All the time."

 

"Do you still..did you ever...love me?"

 

A rush of shuffling and moving around filled Minho's ear. A series of footsteps echoed and he swore he heard Jonghyun's laugh come on the line.

 

" Minho...I'm engaged." 

 

"Engaged?" Minho asked, bewildered. "What are you saying?" You don't love him, Jinki."

 

"Nobody gets married for love anymore. I..we.." Jinki exhaled deeply making Minho nervous. "There is no future for us."

 

That hurt. That hurt a whole lot. Minho fought hard to avoid bursting into tears. Love shouldn't be so painful.

 

"After everything we've been through."

 

"Minho...you've never given me a real reason to believe that you were that invested in the...thing we had. I retreated into the background and watch you wed another woman. You flit around pleasing your dad while I sat on the sideline. I'm tired of it and... with the little pride I have left I want to live a free and happy life."

 

" You weren't unhappy with me?" Minho managed to ask whilst scrubbing at the tears.

 

He heard Jinki sigh and move around some more.

 

"It's all in the past now." Jinki said his tone void of any compassion. "And Minho..?"

 

"Yeah?" Was hope even within reach anymore?

 

"Don't call anymore. I've come to look forward to them more than I should."

 

Minho held the phone at his ear for a long time just paralyzed by Jinki's words, hurtful words and his request. Even Jinki's hellos and are you theres never fazed him not even when the phone went dead. Not even when Haerin joined him in all her excitement that the baby was kicking and that he should feel it. Not even when she prodded some more and left the room in tears becuase he didn't care to look her in the face lest touch her. Not even when the door closed.

 

A part of him died.