It’s all about the Little Things

It's all about the Little Things

 

 

 

It’s all about the little things.

1,999 words

 

 

 

 

It’s 7:30 in the morning on a Saturday, and rain was pouring down mercilessly from the dark skies.

Kyungsoo wakes up and tries to get off the bed, which is a difficult feat when Jong In likes snuggling and entangling their legs. It’s been long decided that he was the dancer’s hug plushie, and no amount of argument was ever going to change such a persistent whiny baby.

Triumphantly, he was able to get off without waking the other.

He gently arranged Jong In on the bed properly—making sure his head was on the softest part of the pillow, and that none of his limbs were hanging off the bed—before he blanketed the boy and ruffled his hair.

He planted a soft peck on the tanned male’s forehead.

 

 

 

He walked to the other bed inside the room, where Chan Yeol and Baekhyun were snoring soundly. Kyungsoo smiled to himself, because it was pretty funny how these two goofs managed to time their snores with each other. Almost like they practiced it together, but obviously that wouldn’t make sense.

He planted a soft peck on their foreheads.

 

 

 

Kyungsoo went over to the room across, where two other beds laid.

He first walked towards the bed Kris and Tao shared.

Both were tall and pretty muscular—all the reason for it to be amusing that Kris was scared of cockroaches and Tao didn’t like thunderstorms. They actually made themselves fit into this bed, and despite close proximity, were more comfortable huddled together than sleeping on a bed alone.

He planted a soft peck on their foreheads.

 

 

 

Lay and Joonmyeon were in the room as well.

Kyungsoo approached and picked up the blanket on the floor.

Lay rolled over and moved a lot in his sleep, while Joonmyeon was more stationary. During sleep, Joonmyeon always made sure he was tightly holding onto the Chinese male’s waist—because if he didn’t, he knew Lay would fall off the bed more than once in a single night. Lay had always been grateful for that.

Kyungsoo blanketed the two, and softly pecked them on the forehead.

 

 

 

 

He then made his way to the last room in their little apartment.

Chen was in his usual position—head on his Uminhyung’s tummy, as he hugged the elder snugly. Chen sometimes talked in his sleep.Murmured, actually.It was rather entertaining as he would sometimes murmur in Korean, and other times in Chinese. Kyungsoo never really understood whatever he was saying—it was a mess of garbled words. Xiumin was entertaining too. He drooled in his sleep, and sometimes giggled whenever Chen’s head was moving too much on his tummy.

Kyungsoo planted a soft peck on their foreheads.

 

 

 

Lastly, he went to Luhan and Sehun’s bed.

Although Sehun was taller than most of the guys in their circle of friends (was he the tallest?), he always knew he was the maknae and never forgot to assert it. And Luhan would humor him because he’s always had a soft spot for their rainbow haired youngster. This pretty much explains why Luhan always had to snuggle with Sehun when sleeping—the taller male’s head tucked under his chin, as his arms encircled the big frame that was Oh Sehun. Sehun always had to curl himself a bit to fit into his hyung’s arms, but there was no complaint—he liked it.

Kyungsoo planted a soft peck on their foreheads.

 

 

 

 

 

After checking up on s, Kyungsoo had headed to the kitchen to whip up some breakfast. Since it was raining quite strongly, he had decided on warm pancakes and hot chocolate. Maybe even bacon and eggs since he was in a good mood for no particular reason.

 

As he got the pancake mix and started to pour the contents in a bowl of water, he realized he actually did have a reason to be in a good mood.

A lot of reasons.

 

He woke up today. Thank you Lord.

He had a house which sheltered him from the rain. Praise God.

And all his friends were here—the people who had been a family to him while his real one was miles away. Truly a blessing.

 

Kyungsoo smiled as he stirred the mixture in his bowl, after cracking some eggs into it as well.

He had liked his morning routine.

Waking up ahead of the others, just to see the little things they did in their sleep, which would also remind him of the little things they did awake.

Memories sprung fort and he couldn’t be any happier that he’s met such wonderful people.

 

University life wasn’t easy at first.

Being a boy from the province, he had to struggle in fitting in here at Seoul.

He didn’t have fancy clothes or shiny shoes.

Didn’t know much about sports and had never dated once in his life.

He wasn’t rich enough to go out all the time, and wasn’t a big fan of night clubs.

 

He was just a simple boy who enjoyed staying home and watching television, or playing some game on the computer. He was neat and tidy, and he didn’t have a lot, just what he needed. On some occasions, he maybe took some money from the extras of his allowance and bought himself a little something.

That was enough.

It had always been enough.

His family was always content on just having what they do have—they never aspired to be of glitz and glam.

In the province, everyone was like that—it was a community of simple people who bonded during festivals and who had their neighbors over for afternoon snacks.

 

So when he first came to Seoul alone, full scholarship and all—with his bowl cut hair-style and baby blue Pororo t-shirt, books and stuff on his backpack and clothes in a trolley bag—Kyungsoo didn’t expect the culture shock. Technological advancement here was different—more cutting-edge. And the people looked like they were all out of a magazine; whether it be in the mall, or just on the streets, these people dressed to impress. Buildings upon buildings competed in reaching the sky, while cars bustled on the roads—one looking more expensive than the other.

 

Then university life sunk in. He realized that not everyone was appreciative of a guy like him—who didn’t drink, didn’t party, didn’t have fun. He was labeled a boring personality who only ever studied, and didn’t know how to live life. It was Kyungsoo’s first time experiencing being an outcast, so no wonder it hurt.

 

But that was who he was.

And he didn’t see anything wrong with it.

He’d much rather be asleep by 10:30 PM than to be gallivanting in town, searching for a playful partner to give him fleeting kisses for a night.

He’d much rather be studying at school, than to be catching up on the sleep missed out on, due to drinking until the sun came up.

He’d much rather download a movie and watch it on the laptop he got for graduation, than to walk in the mall for hours, buying clothes he’ll only wear when the occasion called for it.

 

He was Do Kyungsoo.

And no amount of ostracism was going to change that.

But of course, it still hurt to be left alone.

As he slept in his dorm all those nights, he missed his family and prayed earnestly that God would send him an angel to be with.

 

And God did.

In the form of eleven men that came into his life one by one.

Slowly but surely making it a little more hectic, but not altogether troublesome.

 

He finally found people who understood him, and didn’t judge him.

Who told him to move out of his dorm, so they could all live togetherinstead.

Who would sit with him to watch late-night movies, and complement him on his cooking.

Who wouldn’t mind if he didn’t party so much, because they didn’t party so much either.

 

 

 

 

Although they were all different in personality, they respected one another—plus being different was what they found interesting about each other anyway.

Oh, but they did have one thing in common—they were all just simple boys trying to get through college life peacefully. They didn’t need to live on edge to enjoy what life had to offer. They only needed to spend time with people they cared about. And for that, Kyungsoo was grateful. Grateful to have found people that reminded him of home—that served as his second home.

 

Eventually, they carried a bit of each other wherever they went.

 

Just like Baekhyun, Kyungsoo now knew how to find the perfect clothes among dozens of racks whenever he went shopping. All in just ten minutes, mind you.

Just like Chan Yeol, he smiled more often and saw the brighter side of things.

Just like Joonmyeon, he made sure he was always healthy and that everyone was too.

Just like Lay, he went out for exercise during his free time.

Just like Chen, he studied a bit of Chinese in order to converse with his Chinese friends in their native tongue once in a while.

Just like Xiumin, he had taken a liking to steamed buns and ate them during breaks.

Just like Kris, he appreciated their art class more, even though he still didn’t fully understand the deep meanings behind abstract paintings.

Just like Tao, he’s grown fond of the flowers in the school’s garden.

Just like Luhan, he joined the soccer team for a bit of athletic involvement. So far he’s not doing so bad, since the elder is there to guide him.

Just like Sehun, he acts like a baby sometimes. Just sometimes to earn a hug or two. Maybe eleven.

And like Jong In, he holds his friends tighter than need be—he sinks into their warmth and floats back up with nothing but love.

 

 

 

As Kyungsoo heats up the greasy pan, and lathers butter, pouring in the pancake mix to perfect roundness, he thanks God so much.

For all these little things.

Small fixtures so familiar, they encase a good number of reasons why Kyungsoo could never imagine life without having met his little posse.

 

 

One pancake,

Two pancake,

Ten pancakes more,

Kyungsoo started working on the bacon and eggs.

 

He smiles to himself all the while, as he thinks of the eleven people who have burrowed themselves into the depths of his heart.

 

 

Just then, he’s enveloped by warmth he knew only to be one Kim Jong In.

“Why are you always up so early?

Plus it’s raining—it’s a lazy day, hyung.

You should’ve stayed in bed a little while longer.

I felt cold without you.”

 

Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes.

“You know very well everyone sleeps in during rainy Saturdays.

And that’s the reason why I have to be the odd man out, because seriously, who will prepare the meal for you guys when you wake up?”

 

“It doesn’t always have to be you.”

“Will it be you then?”

“…”

Jong In smiles sheepishly.

 

“Tell Joonmyeonhyung to set an alarm or something?”

 

Kyungsoo snorted.

“See? Unlike you, I actually careabout how my friends enjoy sleeping in.

Especially Joonmyeonhyung, since you know there are some days when Lay hyung moves just too much in his sleep.”

 

Jong In pouted.

“Well, I just don’t like it that when I wake up, the space where you’re supposed to be is empty.

 

But I’m thankful for the morning kisses you give us though.”

 

Jong In’s smile returned as he saw the tips of Kyungsoo’s ears turn red.

 

“You knew?”

“Hyung, we all did.”

 

And just like that, the ten other men entered the kitchen; all smiling a conniving smile as they looked at the small male.

 

Kyungsoo gulped.

And blushed, to his dismay.

 

In only a matter of seconds he was being showered in kisses;

Giggling, because indeed love came through a prayer, bringing eleven angels to his side.

 

Hopefully the bacon and eggs don’t get too burnt.

 

 

 

 

END

 

 

 

Author's note: Thanks for reading ^_^ Have a great day!