THE PRINCE AND ME

THE PRINCE AND ME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“THE King still refuses to eat,” said the maiden upset after she stepped out of the king’s chamber. Maiden Hye Rin sighed seeing the untouched foods in tray. It had been nearly a weeks the king refused to eat and grieving alone in his chamber. Duari people understood the king’s grief, but life must go on. The king still mourned over Queen Hyo Jin and Prince Dong Yi’s death. His beloved queen passed away after gave birth to dead prince. Losing two precious lives at the same time was a devastating blow to Duari people especially King Song Seung Heon. It was extremely hard to cope with the lost, both practically and mentally.

            “If the king continues like this, he will fall sick,” Maiden So Yu added as she was concerned about the king’s health. The king was constantly grieving over the dead queen. While the maidens started to think the way to help King Seung Heon, a 5-year-old girl approached them. The maidens instantly bowed to her.

            “Pass the tray to me,” she commanded politely. Maiden Hye Rin surprised to hear the command, yet she still passed it to that girl. When the tray was in the girl’s hand, she carefully brought it inside the king’s chamber. The door was remained open, but the maidens didn’t dare to look inside. They peeked sometimes and saw the girl had stood next to King Seung Heon. The girl looked at the king who still unaware of her presence here. The upset king sat motionlessly on late Queen Hyo Jin’s favourite chair, and his sad gaze fixed at the queen portrait. King Seung Heon had lost some weights as he obviously looked thinner than before. He looked messy and smelt stink yet he didn’t bother about it.

            “Father,” the girl addressed the king with soft voice, and King Seung Heon didn’t hear it. Her father was still in his own world. The girl then sadly looked at the portrait of late queen. Although she was still 5 year old, she understood that her mother had left the world forever and lived eternity with Prince Dong Yi in heaven. The girl called King Seung Heon again, and he responded this time. He half-heartedly took his eyes off the portrait and looked at the small girl that smiled bitterly next to him.

           “Father, you have to eat. If mother knows this, she and brother will be upset in the heaven,” King Seung Heon looked at his only princess, Princess Song Qian with empty gaze even though he wanted to cry at that time. Why his princess looked so calm right now? Why she didn’t cry like him? Perhaps she was too young to understand about losing the beloved one. Meanwhile the maidens still peeked from outside the chamber. They saw the princess stirred a bowl of hot porridge and brought a spoon to the king’s mouth.

           “Father, you must eat this. If you don’t, then I will starve myself for days,” the cute princess blackmailed the king which her action reminded the king to Queen Hyo Jin. His queen used to blackmail him whenever he wanted to skip his meals. The king then started to cry. How could he let himself drowned in sadness until he neglected his princess and Duari people? Princess Song Qian was right. The late queen and prince would be so upset to see him like this. As King of Dauri, he had to get up and move on with his life even though he was heart-broken. His people needed him. Slowly he opened the mouth and ate the porridge. The princess and maidens were very happy to see that.

           “Here,” Princess Song Qian continuously fed him until the porridge in bowl became half.

           “Enough. I’m full,” King Seung Heon rejected the last spoon. Princess Song Qian put the bowl away before she sat on the floor and placed her small head on the king’s thigh. She did that so the king wouldn’t see tears in her eyes.

           “Don’t be sad, Father. You are not alone. I’m here with you,” the king cried again after he heard the comforting words from 5-year-old Princess Song Qian. Young but did understand the grief he was bearing at this moment. King Seung Heon stared again at the portrait. Although Queen Hyo Jin had left him forever, but she left him something that he could never retrieved it with anything in this world. She gave him Princess Song Qian, a princess as the proof of their loves.

            “I’m sorry for neglecting you, my princess,” the king apologized whilst her small head.

            “Father, I’ll be always by your side and take care of you. I promise,” Princess Song Qian looked deeply into the king’s puffy eyes. She knew that King Seung Heon would be lonely without Queen Hyo Jin, so she determined to make her father smile and happy every day.

 

THE Duari people were warmly welcomed the new Queen of Duari after that throne was left empty for one year. Although the new queen was not from royal blood, she was a daughter of one of the most respectable nobleman in this country. Many rich men had tried to court her because she was well-known with her down to earth character and her kindness. Lady Song Hye Gyo was one of the angels in Duari. King Seung Heon had fallen with her charms and wished to make her as his queen. The king’s intention was such an honour to Song Family, and they agreed to marry Lady Hye Gyo to him. Duari people were happy with the news, but not Princess Song Qian.

            She opposed the king’s decision as she felt no one could replace the late queen, but King Seung Heon still with his decision. He married Lady Hye Gyo when Princess Song Qian was 6 years old. During the welcoming ceremony in the palace, his princess locked herself in the chamber. King Seung Heon knew the new queen was upset with his princess, but she asked him to give Princess Song Qian the time. The king didn’t marry Lady Hye Gyo because he had forgotten the late queen. In the name of God, no one could replace Queen Hyo Jin in his heart, but he needed someone to be his partner. Plus he needed a prince to rule Duari in the future.

            Princess Song Qian was still young to understand about his worries. She also wouldn’t understand that he had opened his heart to Queen Hye Gyo. To his princess, no one would take late Queen Hyo Jin’s place in this palace. No one! Because of the king’s new marriage, Princess Song Qian became cold towards the king. The father-daughter bond worsened as the days passed. Queen Hye Gyo was downhearted with this situation and tried to fix the bonding, but Princess Song Qian was really hard to persuade. She even rejected the love from Queen Hye Gyo as she still saw the new queen as the stranger.

            Princess Song Qian became colder after the birth of Prince Kai. Duari people rejoiced over the prince’s birth, but the princess thought that King Seung Heon would no longer need her. Full attention would be given to Prince Kai as he would grow up as the future king of Duari. She was just a princess that wouldn’t contribute much to the country. She had those kinds of thoughts when King Seung Heon betrothed her to the prince from neighboring country, Crown Prince of Darmawin. 

 

THE maidens bowed their heads when saw Queen Hye Gyo made her way to Princess Song Qian’s chamber. It was her routine to visit princess’ chamber in the morning, and the routine started earlier as Princess Song Qian would getting married soon. The queen almost arrived at the chamber when she heard an angry shouting inside it. Queen Hye Gyo increased her pace and barged into chamber without letting the maiden to announce her arrival. Princess Song Qian was surprised by the arrival of queen, but the queen are more surprised to see the maiden cried while trying to hide her injured hand.

            “What is going on here?”

            “I’m sorry, my queen. It was my fault. I shouldn’t bring the foods that princess dislikes. I should be more alert about this,” the maiden apologized in shaky voice. Queen Hye Gyo looked at the princess who smirked arrogantly before returned to her canopy bed. How could she punish this maiden for unintentionally offended her? Plus it just a small mistake! Queen Hye Gyo quickly helped the maiden, but her natural kindness irritated princess even more. The princess disliked Queen Hye Gyo’s kindness, and she hated everything about the queen. In her eyes, the queen kindly treated people just to get the attention and respect from them. Hypocrite!

            “Please leave us alone,” the queen commanded all the maidens to leave the chamber. They obeyed the queen and closed the door. Now only two of them were inside here. The soft gaze of queen turned fierce when it met princess’ gaze. The queen had taken care of Princess Son Qian for 14 years, and she knew well about princess ill-tempered and manner. Her step-daughter was the most egoistic princess she ever met in her life; snobbish and hard to tame. The queen regret because she failed to nurture the good qualities and characters inside Princess Song Qian. With her current bad attitudes, Princess Song Qian was not qualified to be a princess of people’s heart.

            “If you continue behaving like this, you will bring shame to Duari! People will say that the princess has no qualification to become the future Crown Princess of Darmawin!” Princess Song Qian ignored the queen’s scolding. It was true that she would marry to Crown Prince of Darmawin, but she never cared much about the wedding. The king would handle everything because she never interested to participate in wedding preparation. Plus she never met the crown prince because Darmawin tradition forbade them to see each other until the wedding day. Princess Song Qian knew that King Seung Heon wanted the wedding to take place sooner, so he would pay full attention to Prince Kai after she gone.

            “It’s my wedding and it’s my life. I know to take care of myself. You don’t have to order me around,” she replied before walked out from her chamber.

 

PRINCESS Song Qian constantly observed King Seung Heon and Prince Kai through chamber’s window. They were ready to go horse riding in royal forest as usual. Her heart ached when heard the genuine laughter from them. She used to laugh such way with the king but everything changed after Queen Hye Gyo and Prince Kai came into their lives. It had been 14 years they lived together in this palace but still she found very hard to accept them especially her step mother. Princess Song Qian watched 13-year-old Prince Kai affectionately the horse body before rode it without the help of King Seung Heon. Her step brother was trained to be the future King of Duari, so he had many opportunities to be with their father.

            Princess Song Qian envied Prince Kai so much because she felt people in this castle adored him more than her. She felt that the king no longer needed her here. Princess Song Qian refused to prolong her sadness, so she entertained herself by having walk in royal garden. As usual, she forbade the maidens to follow as she wanted to be alone. During the walk, she accidentally heard the cries of kitten which later she found the kitten stuck in the tree. The kitten needed help. Princess Song Qian intended to find ladder but few seconds later, she cancelled it. Taking off the shoes, she then climbed the tree. It had been so many years she didn’t climb tree, more than 10 years perhaps. It took her several attempts before she finally succeeded bringing down the kitten. Luckily no one was around, so she didn’t have to worry about being scolded by the queen.

 

“HOW was your day?” King Seung Heon asked his princess during dinner. Soon the princess would get married but the king still worried about crown prince’s acceptance. He requested the prince to get to know about Princess Song Qian before they get married, but King of Darmawin disagreed which he had to respect Darmawin tradition.

            “There is nothing interesting to share,” she replied half-heartedly. Although she felt excited to climb tree again, she had no interest to share with them. Princess Song Qian glanced at Queen Hye Gyo who enjoyed the quiet dinner. The queen still looked in twenties although her age now was 42. What was her secret to remain beautiful and young? Princess Song Qian was not really interested to know, but then she caught something on queen when she lowered her gaze. All of them surprised when the princess smashed her palms against table and stood upright.

            “What’s wrong?!” scolded King Seung Heon as he displeased with princess’ rudeness.

            “That necklace, how did you get it?!” she glared at queen calm’s face. How dared Queen Hye Gyo wore the late queen’s necklace.

            “The king gives this to me,” knowing that the king gave it to the queen made Princess Song Qian angry.

            “Father!”

            “It’s a royal necklace. Every queen deserves to wear this. In fact, the queen should wear it since 14 years ago,” Princess Song Qian knew about the history of this necklace, but she never approved Queen Hye Gyo as the Queen of Duari. She thought late Queen Hyo Jin would be last queen to wear the necklace, but she was wrong.

            “To me, she doesn’t deserve to have that necklace! I’ll never approve her as the queen! Never! I hate her! I hate..” PANG!!! The environment turned quiet after the king slapped hard his princess’ face. Princess Song Qian lost words.

            “You are so rude, Princess Song Qian! How dare you raise your voice to the queen! Show her some respect!” Princess Song Qian touched her red cheek. This was the first time the king raised his hand to her face. Hurt! Her cheek was hurt, but her heart was even more painful. She felt so embarrassed because King Seung Heon did not only slap her in front of Queen Hye Gyo and Prince Kai, but the maidens had witnessed that scene. Princess Song Qian was downhearted because she felt King Seung Heon was no longer adored her. He was no longer needed her in this castle.

 

PRINCESS Song Qian didn’t want to cry, but she couldn’t stop the tears from coming out. Her eyes became puffy from crying too much, and her sobbing still could be heard. The princess wanted to be alone, so she went to royal garden. This quiet place was suitable for her to unleash all her anger, sadness and frustration that she bore for years. Princess Song Qian was really disappointed with King Seung Heon.

            “I hate you, father! Father does not love me anymore,” she sobbed whilst wiping away the tears. Although she always showed the egoistic and stubborn side to them, she also had the fragile side. Didn’t they see it? While she was crying alone in the garden, she suddenly heard the sound of broken tree branches. The princess surprised and freeze in her seat.

            “Who’s there?” there was no reply. The princess assumed there were rats there but then she heard again the sound.

            “Who’s there,” this time she almost shouted and waited for reply, but the garden turned quiet. Princess Song Qian left the seat and boldly walked towards the bushes where she heard the sound coming from just now. She was getting closer when her eyes and mouth suddenly being covered by something. The princess struggled to escape but a slap on her neck causing her to loss conscious.

 

 “THE princess seems not ready to marry the prince. With her bad attitude and poor-controlled temper, she will bring shame to Duari and Darmawin,” one of the speakers requested King Seung Heon to reconsider this marriage. The king sighed and acknowledged the speaker. His princess still lacked many of good qualities to become future Queen of Darmawin.

            “I will visit Darmawin tomorrow and discuss with King Toamo regarding the wedding. Perhaps I can ask him to postpone or cancel the wedding,” the king actually worried to marry his princess to Darmawin’s Crown Prince. He worried if crown prince disliked the princess and regretted marrying her. The speakers were happy with King Seung Heon’s decision. Before they could talk more about the princess, the maiden suddenly came and interrupted the discussion.

            “My king, the princess has disappeared!” the king shocked with that news. Princess Song Qian had disappeared? Was it because he slapped her just now? It was possible she ran away because of that incident because Princess Song Qian was easily offended. His princess must really downhearted until she decided to run away from here. Princess, I’m really sorry.

 

PRINCESS Song Qian finally regained conscious, but her head and neck were hurt. Her body also ached because she was lying on something hard and uncomfortable. After opened her eyes and looked the surrounding, she surprised to out found that she wasn’t inside her chamber. Reflexively she got up and tried to run away, but the pain around her wrist halted her movement. The princess realized that one of her hands had been cuffed to a wooden pole inside this old hut. Where was she and why she was here? Was she been kidnapped?! The last thing in her memory was the scene in royal garden.

            “Is anyone outside there?! Help me! Help me! I’ve been kidnapped!” Princess Song Qian shouted for help while trying to release her hand from cuff. Who dared to abduct the princess of Duari?! The princess would make sure the kidnapper would receive the punishment. Suddenly the old door was kicked from outside, startling the princess. Tears started welling in eyes as she started to panic after heard the sound of approaching footsteps.

            “Huahhh, why you make a noise early in the morning?!” a tall man stepped in and stretched his body while yawning widely. Apparently he just woke up from sleep. The princess shifted to the back with eyes still glued at that man’s face.

            “Who are you and what do you want from me?!” the princess shouted fiercely, trying not to appear timid although she was extremely scare at this moment. That man flashed a naughty smile and stepped closer to her.

            “Chill princess. Don’t be scare,” he chuckled. Princess Song Qian eyed his face as she wanted to print it in her memory. Later when she succeeded escaping from here, she would command the army to catch this criminal!

            “I’m not fear of you!” she yelled and spit in his face when he was trying to get closer. That man seemed not surprise by her action. He even laughed and calmly wiped away the spit.

            “Rumours about you are true. Princess of Duari is a fierce princess,” his laughter seemed mocking her. Who was he? From his appearance, he just looked an ordinary people.

            “Who are you?!”

            “You don’t have to know because my job is over once I hand you to that person,”

            “Who hired you to kidnap me?!” she asked impatiently. That man sat at an opposite site and took out his knife. The princess’s fear doubled up yet she refused to make it obvious.

            “Someone that is really obsesses with you. I don’t why but I think he has plan something for you,”

            “What?”

            “I acknowledge that you have a beauty, my princess. So I think that person has place for you in whorehouse,” the last word shocked Princess Song Qian the most. Whorehouse? So the person who hired this man to abduct her wanted to make her as the slave? No! She was the princess of Duari, and the future crown princess of Darmawin!

            “Wait! I have an offer to make. If you bring me back to my palace, I will pay you twice the amount that you will get. No, I’ll give everything that you want,” Princess Song Qian tried to tempt him by mentioning about money. Sure he did this for money, and the princess believed that he would accept the offer.

            “What a tempting offer but sorry my princess, I’m not interested. That person will give me something that the princess could never retrieve it with anything in this world,” the princess’s hope shattered into pieces. That man rejected her offer which means she would be handed to whorehouse. Was this her fate as the princess of Duari? That man was taken aback after saw the princess started to cry.

            “Please. Please don’t sell me. I don’t want to become a ,” she cried while imagined her body was being abused my many men. She would lose her pride and treated no differently with animals. The princess begged again and this was the first time she begged people who was inferior to her. That man silently eyed the princess as he was considered her plea.

            “Fine, I won’t hand you to whorehouse but with conditions,” the broken hope returned alive after heard that man’s promise. As long she didn’t end up in whorehouse, she would have many opportunities to escape from this man.

 

 “WHY don’t we ride the horse?” Princess Song Qian looked at the black horse pulled by that man. Her hands were cuffed in front with strap being tied around that man’s wrist so she wouldn’t run away. Her state right now was no different with prisoners or slaves as she looked dirty with torn dress. They had walked for an hour across the forest! The princess’ legs already hurt but that man showed no sign to have a break.

            “You just promise me to become my slave. Slave doesn’t ride the horse and I’m gentleman enough to walk with you,” he replied, staring at princess who pulled a long face.

            ‘Oh, you are mocking me! Just wait and see. After I escape from here, I will ask Father to catch and punish you!’ by this time the palace should aware of her disappearance. Duari would search her, but the princess worried if they might not find her. Princess Song Qian eyed that man from behind. Were all villains had good looking face liked him? He looked like a good guy if people didn’t know the real him.

            “Hey, what’s your name?”

            “Just call me Khun,” he replied shortly.

            “By the way, where are we?” Princess Song Qian looked across the quiet forest of unknown place.

            “Darmawin,” that answer shocked the princess. What? She had been abducted by Darmawin people and brought to the country which she would rule in the future? Did Khun know that he abduct the future crown princess and queen of Darmawin?! Princess Song Qian stopped walking and pulled her hands until Khun nearly falling backward.

            “What?!” he asked exasperatedly.

            “I command you to release me now! Do you know that I’m the future crown princess in this country?! You’ll be sentenced to death for kidnapping me,” commanding people was a part of her life. Even in this situation, she still acted like a princess in palace.

            “I know,” Khun replied shortly.

            “So you know about my wedding yet you still dare to kidnap me. You are so bold, Khun,” Khun’s smile became wider after he heard the generous “compliment” from the princess. Actually he was amused by her arrogance. Did she still not realise who is superior to her right now?

            “What makes you think that you will definitely become the crown princess of Darmawin? Right now you are in my hands. You are my slave, not a princess of Duari or future crown princess of Darmawin. Whether you can get the throne or not, it is depends on me. Who knows that Darmawin might cancel the wedding because they can’t find you,” Khun’s tone changed 360 degree which it terrified the princess. He sounded so evil until Princess Song Qian had no gut to talk back. Khun secretly smiled after noticed her fear, and they continued the journey. Thirty minutes later they finally arrived at the town. Princess Song Qian felt awkward walked in the crowd of people. Plus they kept looking at her because of the cuffs on her hands.

            “Where are you going?” asked the princess when Khun released one of her hands and cuffed it to wooden pole. She was really embarrassed as she felt Khun treated her like an animal. The passerby didn’t care much as they thought she was really a slave.

            “Wait here! Don’t you ever try to run away,” he then walked away without answering her. Perhaps he wanted to go to toilet. Princess Song Qian eyed him until she lost from her sight. Now it was the time to escape.

            “Please help me! I had been kidnapped,” the princess stopped one of the passersby and asked for help.

            “Please. I’m the princess of Duari and I had been kidnapped,” once she revealed her identity, they laughed at her. She makes few attempts for help but no one believe her. The princess was downhearted. Perhaps she had to try another method to escape from Khun.

 

THE princess had no idea where she was, but Khun brought her to small village near the sea. Just liked in town, people here glanced at her and then walked away. Some of them reproved Khun and had quick chat with him, but none of them asked about her. Did they really think she was a slave? Then Khun brought her to old cottage where she would live here with him. Seriously this place was worse than the stables in palace. Her hands were still cuffed. Was he plan to leave her like this forever? Suddenly her stomach growled in hunger. Oh, this was so embarrassing yet she pretended to be calm.

            ‘Ish, doesn’t he want to give me some foods? I’m almost dying in huger!’ the princess was very sure that Khun heard it, and he knew she had nothing since morning. Princess Song Qian stayed in her place and waited Khun to give her foods. Unfortunately he went straight to his old bed and lied down.

            “Hey, Khun! Do you have foods? I’m hungry,” at first she refused to ask but the burning sensation in her stomach forced her to lower her pride once again. She had to survive so she could escape from here as soon as possible.

            “I thought you want to starve yourself,” he mocked while taking out few slices of bread and gave to her. Was this all he had to give her? She wanted to complain but thinking that Khun might take them back, she had to forget her intention and start to eat. Before she was able to finish her meal, Khun threw several dirty clothes near her legs.

            “Wash these after you finish eating,” he ordered her and returned to his bed.

            “Why should I wash your clothes?” she questioned back, not remembering her new status in this small cottage.

            “Because you are my slave, so you I have to do what I ask you to do. Or you want to sell you to whorehouse?” Khun playfully threatened her, but the princess took it seriously. She afraid if Khun really sold her, so she quickly collected the dirty clothes and wait for the next order. Khun suppressed his laugh watching how panic the princess after he mentioned whorehouse.

            “So what are you waiting for? Go do your job if you have finished eating,” Princess Song Qian looked at him with sad face before she lowered her gaze to handcuffs.

            “How am I supposes to do work with hands like this?” she tried to gain sympathy from him by showing her red wrists. It was just an act, but she doubt whether he would fall into her act or not. Khun eyed her pitiful face and didn’t know why he had soft spot for this arrogant princess.

            “Fine! I’ll relea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter