August 14th

August 14th

 

Yifan frowns as he stares at the text he just received from the love of his life.

 

"Are you excited for tonight? Come home early, okay? Love you, Love!"

 

He looks up, facing Jongdae that is busy chewing his lunch. "What date is today?"

 

The younger swallows his food before staring straight at him. "It's the 14th. Why?"

 

"What month?" Yifan notices Jongdae's expression changed at his question.

 

"August. Hyung, why are you asking this? Are you losing your mind?"

 

He ignoes the smirk look on Jongdae's face. "Is there some kind of event we suppose to celebrate?"

 

The younger taps his chin, thinking carefully before shaking his head. "Not that I know of. Why... ah!"

 

Yifan's eyes widen in surprise. Did he really forget a special occasion today? "What? What is today?"

 

The younger smiles at him. "Today, last year, I got my braces off and I become much more handsome! Thank you for reminding me of that, hyung! It is something we should celebrate! Let's go out tonight! I'm buying!"

 

Yifan stretches his hand and flick Jongdae on the forehead. He sighs as the younger rubs the sore spot. The love of his life is sweet, beautiful and caring toward others but he doubt that his other half would go that far. He stares back at his phone. What is love talking about? Why he should get excited for tonight? What is going to happen tonight? The text keeps floating in his mind even after he is in his office, spinning around on his chair. 

 

August 14th. What is there to celebrate? It is definitely not his wedding anniversary because he just got married three months ago.

 

May 22nd, the day he tied the knot with the most beautiful person in the world and the love of his life. It was also the birthday of his other half.

 

It is also not his birthday because November 6th of this year is still three months away and last year's already passed. Also, his last year's birthday was the day he proposed to the love of his life and the answer he got was the perfect birthday present he could ever wish for.

 

Yifan shifts his gaze to the door of his office when he heard it being opened and see Kyungsoo walking toward him with files in hands.

 

The younger places the files on his desk before looking at him. "I already finished these so you can go home early today." The younger smiles at him. "You don't want to keep Joonmyeon hyung waiting. Did you get anything for him?"

 

Yifan's eyes widen at Kyungsoo's words. Does the younger knows what is today all about? How can he when he himself doesn't? He bites his lips. Maybe Kyungsoo can shed some light on the matter but he has to be careful. Asking straight forward would ends up with Kyungsoo taking an unpaid leave and left him with assistant-less. And Kyungsoo's position reminds him that of course he would know about today's occasion.

 

His other half always check with Kyungsoo first regarding his schedule before deciding anything. Which he really appreciate it even though there is nothing wrong with his other half asking him directly. He will drop everything that instant and go straight to his other half right away like that one and only time he ever did that.

 

He just landed after eight hours of flight when he received a phone call from the love of his life. His jetlag suddenly disappear at the soft voice over the receiver but his eyes widen when he heard coughing between it. Before he knew it, he was standing before his other half, getting scolded for taking the first flight back home.

 

Yifan stares straight at Kyungsoo that is still waiting for his answer. "I... di... didn't buy anything yet. May... maybe you can give me some suggestions." He purses his lips. It sounded natural, right?

 

The younger smiles at him. "You know Joonmyeon hyung will be happy with anything you got him. You should go now."

 

He watches as Kyungsoo exits his office. He is sure he saw a smirk at the milisecond before Kyungsoo turned away from him. Kyungsoo knows he doesn't know what today is all about. His assistant is smart like that. He just wish Kyungsoo won't tell his other half about it.

 

Yifan pushes the glass door of his office building that feels like it weight a ton. Can he not go home tonight? August 14th. What anniversary? Is it someones's birthday? Why can't he remember anything about it?

 

He sighs as he steps into the mall. What should he get if he doesn't even know what is he celebrating? He looks up, staring at the shop sign that says 'Blinging'. A ring? A bracelet? A necklace? All three? His other half likes that kind of things but he would be so much happier if it has meanings behind it.

 

Like the couple rings he got them for theri 100th day anniversary. Just a pair of simple, silver rings with a pair of wings carved on it. The wedding ring was supposed to replace it but the love of his life still wear it and so does he.

 

Yifan sighs as he passes the jewelry shop and eyeing every shop in the mall. What should he buy as the perfect present? An MCM bag? A pair of Nike shoes? An Armani shirt? A Patek Philippe watch? A Gucci sunglasses? A red jeans with his other half's name sewn on it? He wants to scream his lungs out as he still doesn't know what to buy because he is being stupid for forgetting what today is but he can't. He is still inside the mall and one of the security guard is looking at him suspiciously Heaven knows since when.

 

He lets a sigh and his eyes widen when he took a deep breath as a delicious smell fills his nose. He turns. A chocolate shop. He steps inside, following his nose to the source of the delicious smell and see a male is smiling at him.

 

"Welcom to 'The Late Choco'. How may I help you, sir?"

 

Yifan scans the male from head to toe. Looks like the male is the shop worker. He smiles weakly as he follows the worker to the center of the shop.

 

"Are you looking for an anniversary gift? Is today your special someone's birthday?"


His eyes widen at the words. How the heck the worker knows about that? He nods weakly.

 

The worker smiles at him. "We are doing something special this whole week. 30 minutes made-to-order chocolate. Whether a birthday or an anniversary, we will make a special chocolate just for you. You can pick the filling. We will do the rest."

 

Yifan stares at the many ingredients in front of him. Strawberry. Mango. Oreo. He hands the three fillings to the worker.

 

The worker gestures at the small card rack on the counter. "What should we write on the card? What are you celebrating?"

 

He swallows, eyes staring at the variety of cards being displayed. He weeps inwardly. He doesn't know. He picks the small, red heart card and stare at it, before smiling weakly at the worker. "I will write it." He watches the worker disappear behind a door and look down at the heart card in his hand. What should he write?

 

'My dearest Mine, I'm sorry you're married to this stupid person that has forgotten what today is. You should know that this stupid person tried real hard to remember it but it's to no vail. This stupid person understands if you won't ever forgive him but please don't throw him away from your life. He won't have any reason to live anymore as you are his everything. His soul, his life, his world, his star, his galaxy. He loves you so very much with all his life and will still love you in the next life after tha...'

 

Yifan lifts his pens and see words written on the counter. He shift his gaze to the card and sigh. The small piece of paper has run out of space for him to write and he just getting started. He takes a deep breath and look up when he heard footsteps getting louder.

 

"Here is your chocolate, sir."

 

He stares at the cutely-wrapped box before looking at the worker that is smiling at him.

 

"The person that will receive this chocolate will be so happy."

 

He smiles weakly as he exits the chocolate shop. He really want that but what if his other half feels the opposite instead? He got him a gift even thought he doesn't know what they are celebrating and the chocolate probably just make it worse.

 

Yifan couldn't help feeling nervous as he pries off his shoes. He looks up and the beautiful face that is smiling at him just quicken his heartbeat like it always does except this time, it isn't for the same reason. He purses his lips, staring straight at the beautiful male before him. He swallows.

 

The love of his life is wearing his white shirt that has some stains on it over a blue shorts that is peeking through under it and that could only mean one thing. His other half is in the middle of cooking and he came home too early. He sighs. Another reason for his other half to hate him.

 

"Welcome home."

 

He forces himself to smile, wishing it would hide his nervousness as a small hand takes his briefcase off him. Slowly, he brings his other hand upfront, showing the paperbag in his hold to his other half.

 

The beautiful male blinks his eyes in surprise before looking at him. "For me?"

 

He nods and wait as the love of his life opens the cutely-wrapped box.

 

The beautiful male blooms into a smile as he sees small, dark treats inside the case. "Chocolates! And it looks delicious too. Thank you, Love!"

 

He receives a quick peck on the lips and smile. Maybe he can get away with not remembering what today is after all.

 

The beautiful male grabs his hand, pulling him inside, heading straight to the kitchen. "I thought you would be back a little later. I haven't finish cooking."

 

Yifan stands still at the kitchen entrance as he watches his other half tending the boiling pot over the stove. Delicious smell fills the room and he shifts his gaze toward the dinner table and see it is full with delicious food. He bites his lips as guilt slowly clenching his heart. Today must be a very important day and he still doesn't know what it is. He really want to cry now.

 

"Yifan?"

 

He looks up and see the love of his life is standing in front of him, smiling widely while caressing his arm.

 

"You go ahead and take a seat. I'm going to change first."

 

"No." He grabs the other half's arm before he could walk away.

 

The beautiful male turns and stare at him. "Hm? What's wrong?"

 

"Let's just eat." He pulls out a chair, gesturing his other half to sit on it. Today cannot be any longer. The sooner they eat, the sooner they will go to sleep and the sooner tomorrow will come. Then he just have to live with the guilt of forgetting what today is for the rest of his life. It is much better than seeing the love of his life upset and being hated by him.

 

"Do you like it?"

 

Yifan looks up from his plate of vanilla pudding, facing his other half before nodding as an answer. The dessert is his favorite of all and his other half making this paticular dessert today really mean that they are celebrating an important day of their life and he being his stupid self still doesn't know what is on August 14th.

 

With heavy feet, he leaves the kitchen, leaving his other half with the dirty dishes. If any other day, he is gladly to help the love of his life with the chores but standing side by side with his other half tonight only reminding him that he is an idiot and he doesn't need that because he already know he is one. He makes his way to the bathroom and see a warm bath already being drawn for him. Great. Now he doesn't have to cry and drown in his own tears. His other half already prepare everything for him to repent his stupidness.

 

"Yifan."

 

He brings his head out from the water at the soft voice that was calling his name and see his other half is standing beside the bathtub, half- with a purple towel wrapped around the tiny waist. His eyes widen when the small hand tried to take off the piece of cloth. "Wha... what are you doing?!"

 

The beautiful male chuckles. "I'm getting in with you, of course. It's been a while since we take a bath together."

 

Yifan quickly look around and grab the towel that was hanging on the wall, wrapping himself underwater before standing up with the soaked towel. He walks carefully on the wet floor, passing his other half. "I... I'm already done! You... I don't want to disturb you so just take you time, okay?" He closes the bathroom door even though he clearly heard the love of his life calling his name.

 

He stares at his reflection after changing into his night clothes. Did he being to harsh on his other half back there? He doesn't have the right to act like that. He is the one that forgetting what August 14th is all about and acting like that just proved that he is an idiot. He sighs and turn, heading toward the big bed in the middle of the room but pause when he heard the door creaked open.

 

"Love!"

 

Yifan didn't have the chance to turn around as his torso being hugged by a pair of slender arms and a face snuggles into his back. "Joonmyeon?"

 

The beautiful male tighten his hug and take a deep breath. "You smell so nice... I think I will fall asleep holding you like this."

 

He smiles weakly. It will never work. He is pretty good at keeping secrets and is proud of it but he could never do that with his other half. The soft voice and the gentle touches of his other half make he feels safe, make he feels like it is okay not to live up to other people's expectation and let the stress out. He bites his lips, carefully peeling off the slender arms around his waist before facing the love of his life. "Mine..."

 

The beautiful male frowns when he suddenly kneeled in front of him. "Yifan? What's wrong? Did something bad happened?"

 

Yifan brings the tiny hands to his face, kissing the palms repeatedly. "I am sorry..."

 

"Yifan?"

 

He buries his face on the warms hands. "Please don't throw me away from your life. I tried to remember but nothing come to mind. Even Jongdae and Kyungsoo ignored me and I bought the chocolates even though I didn't know anything about it. I was ready to live the rest of my life with this guilt but I was being stupid again because from the beginning I know that I could never lie to you. You even made all the delicious food and my favorite dessert and here I was, wishing this day would just end." He takes a deep breath. "I am so sorry..."

 

The beautiful male looks down in confusion before pulling him to stand on his feet. "Yifan, look at me."

 

Yifan shakes his head. He is too embarras to face his other half right now.

 

The beautiful male gently caressing the long arm. "Love, please..."

 

He slowly opens his eyes and meet with his other half's in the straightest gaze.

 

"Now, tell me. What are you talking about? I don't understand a thing."

 

He inhales. It is now or never. "I don't remember..."

 

The beautiful males tilts his head. "Remember what?"

 

"Today..."

 

"What's with today?"

 

"The anniversary we supposed to celebrate. I checked my calendar but it showed nothing. I don't know what we are celebrating today."

 

The beautiful male widen his eyes at the words before letting a small chuckle. "Is that all?"

 

Yifan frowns. What was that mean? "Why are you laughing? You are supposed to be mad at me right now. I forgot about such an important anniversary! You should hate me for that!"

 

The beautiful male tiptoes and close the gap between their lips. He shakes his head after pulling away, smiling. "You know I could never hate you even if I try, Love. You are my everything and you not remembering what today is isn't enough reason for me to be mad at you."

 

"But, the text you sent me... sounded like we're going to celebrate something big today."

 

The beautiful male furrows. "Really? Did it looked like that?" He chuckles. "My bad, then."

 

"But all the food..."

 

"Ah, that. I just learnt some new recipes and want to try it out. Before I knew it, I emptied out our fridge."

 

Yifan lets himself being pulled closer until he felt a puff of breath against his clothed chest. "So, I am not in trouble?"

 

"Never was." The beautiful male yawns and smile, looking straight at him. "Let's go to sleep. I am so tired after all those cooking. And I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow. Will you come with?"

 

Yifan nods and lean down to kiss the soft lips of his other half. He turns, facing the love of his life after lying down on the bed. He kisses the clear forehead and was going to sleep when he remembered something. "Joonmyeon."

 

"Hm?"

 

"You still didn't tell me what we were celebrating today."

 

The beautiful male chuckles as he snuggles deeper toward him. "I will explain it again tomorrow. Now, let's sleep."

 

Yifan obliges as he reminds himself that he should prepare some papers for tomorrow's explanation about today.