Want Some Help?

Respect

 Left Step. Step. Step. Grind. Twirl. Right Step. Step. Ste- *THUD*

The music cut off and the other dancers parted around the youngest girl, a tiny brunette with a serious lack of coordination. She had, for what seemed like the millionth time, misstepped and fallen gracelessly to the floor. The instructor sighed, shaking his head as he scowled at the newest trainee.

"Jae, dancing is more than clunking around with no direction. Start over!" The group sighed as Jae stood back up and dusted off her sweatpants. Some of the other trainees glared at her, making her shrink back from their scathing frowns.

 Left Step. Step. Step. Gri- "!"

She had moved wrong again, this time elbowing a guy in the stomach. She jumped back at the sound of his rumbling curse, recognizing him as a member of the boy band they were working with. Bumping into backup dancers was insignificant, it happened all the time. Elbowing an idol? Jae could feel the beginnings of a panic attack.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to, please forgive me-" Laughter from the other side of the practice room halted her stuttering apology.

Glancing up, she saw the one person she could honestly say she despised. G-Dragon, Mr. Perfectionist Leader. If she had a penny for every time he had criticized, bossed, or been downright rude to her, she'd be living in a mansion with a garage full of cars and a closet full of designer clothes. But she didn't, so she wasn't.

The instructor rolled his eyes and snapped, "Enough! You all can go." The dancers began shuffling out, with Jae being the last to leave. "Except you, Jae."

She froze, tripping over the lace of her sneaker as she hastened to turn to face him. "Yes?"

"I want you to stay and practice more. Have it mastered by tomorrow." He demanded, gathering his belongings.

Jae sighed sadly, already imagining the fit her mother was going to have when she didn't arrive home at the usual time. "Yes, sir."

"Goodnight, Jae." They nodded to each other, then the instructor walked out, leaving Jae to take the beginning position.

 Left Step. Step. Step. Grind. Twi- *THUD*

 Left step. Step. Grind- 'Dammit, I missed a step.'

 Left step. Step. Step. Grind. Twirl. Right step. Ste- *THUD*


This time she didn't stand back up. Instead she rocked back and forth, hugging her knees to her chest as she struggled to keep from crying. "I'll never get it. I'm useless. Ugly. Fat. Stupid." She mumbled to herself, unaware she had an audience.

From the doorway, dark eyes watched her trembling figure solemnly. "You'll never get anything down if you sit and cry." He called out, figuring it best to be blunt.

Her head snapped up, ponytail bouncing as she stared at the man who never had a good word to say about her. "I know." She stated simply, resting her head on her knees, hoping he'd leave.

He was taken aback. Normally she fought back. Argued, made little snips about him. Had spirit.

Not tonight.

No, in that practice room in the muted light, she was a shell of the high-strung dancer he liked to tease. Her shoulders were slumped, her head buried in her arms as she struggled with her emotions.

Maybe she just looked so pitiful, he had no choice but to feel sorry for her. Maybe it was the way the dim light glinted off of her dark hair, giving her an ethereal glow. Maybe he was just crazy.

"Want some help?"

Three simple words that would change his life in ways he didn't yet understand.