Final

Libero Love

After playing against some of the best high school volleyball teams in the city for the past two weeks, Hyungwon High's male volleyball team was finally in the last round of the Seoul High School Volleyball Championships. Tension was thick in the air and the team was busy warming up for the match while keeping an eye on their opponents.

Hyungwon High and Sonjoon High players were stretching themselves, game faces plastered on. They soon busied themselves with practicing serves and spikes.

A boy with dark brown hair wearing a white jersey stood off the side while rotating his elbow. He shook out his legs with a sigh and put his hands on his hips, looking at his team practice. A girl wearing their school's gym uniform shuffled towards him and cleared . He looked at her and smiled. "Hey mom, what's up?"

'Mom', or the team manager, shrugged and wrapped an arm around herself. "Nothing much, just feeling a bit nervous."

"About what? You're not even playing in the game!" He looked at her with an amused expression.

She scowled and punched his arm. "That doesn't mean I can't worry for the team. I still find it a miracle that we managed to make it to the finals."

His face scrunched up in pain and he rubbed his arm. "That hurts! And why is that?"

"Have you seen the team? Normally you guys are just a bunch of goofballs! You rarely get serious, even during practice matches with other schools despite the fact that you win from time to time, so it's a bit of a shocker that you made it this far."

"And the truth comes out. Well, part of the reason why we've been winning so far is because Yifan's been practicing the hell out of his spikes, Jongdae's been working on his sets with our old setter, and the other guys have been making sure that their receives are nice and strong. And also because I'm an amazing libero." He smirked.

The girl rolled her eyes. "Sure you are, Baekhyun."

He gasped and put a hand over the left side of his chest. "You don't think I'm an amazing libero? That hurts, a lot."

He faked a sniffle and wiped an imaginary tear from his eye. She laughed and pushed him onto the court when she heard the coach calling for him. "Just go practice your saves and follows."

He saluted the girl and jogged towards the fifty-something year old pot-bellied coach. He flinched when the man pretended to punch his arm and then laughed. He waited for his coach to get into position before he put his game face on and started to run from side to side to receive any ball thrown at him.

The girl watched him with a small smile and then turned to sit on the bench. She noticed one of the starting players looking a bit pale and sat down next to him. "Are you okay, Tao?"

The Chinese boy jumped in shock and then sighed at the sight of their manager. "Oh, it's just you, mom."

She placed a comforting hand on his shoulder and said, "Tao, calm down. I know you're extremely nervous since this is the last game but if you keep on being nervous, you might mess up."

His eyes widened and she continued. "Look kid, you're an amazing spiker. You and Yifan are the ultimate weapon and if Jongdae does his job right, then you'll be racking those points in no time. I believe in you. Now get your head in the game before you actually do mess up and coach makes you sit out."

He gave her a determined nod. "Yes, mom."

She chuckled and his head. "That's my baby. Now go show us what you're made of."

He got off the bench and ran over to the court where the rest of the starting members were waiting. She watched him go with a proud feeling swelling up in her chest and mentally cheered him on.

Baekhyun jogged over to the bench and grabbed his towel from his bag. "I saw what you did for Tao. Thanks, mom."

She shrugged nonchalantly and handed him a bottle of Gatorade. "It's what I'm here for. You ready?"

"Been ready since the day we entered this competition." He grinned and took the drink from her hands.

She patted his arm and then wiped her hand on her sweats with a disgusted face. "Ugh, you're sweaty already."

He leaned closer and shook his head, a shower of sweat raining upon her. "Enjoy it. I know a lot of fangirls who would die if they got to touch my sweaty hands."

"Ew, get away!" She shrieked, wiping her face with the sleeve of her sweatshirt.

He laughed loudly and then blew her a kiss. "Wish me luck, mom!"

She scowled but shouted back, "Good luck!"

The two teams were huddled on their respective side of the court, reviewing their game plan and encouraging each other. After shouting their cheer, they all lined up on the end of the court and bowed. They all walked up to the net and shook each other's hands before spreading themselves out into their designated set up.

The team manager nervously chewed on her lower lip as she watched Jongin dribble the ball several times. She clasped her hands together as he threw the ball up and felt her heart stop for a moment when a loud smack sounded, the ball flying to the other team. She let out a whoosh of air when she saw that it went over the net and relaxed a bit. The coach laughed and looked at the girl. "What're you so nervous about?"

She jumped and then meekly smiled. "Nothing."

He leaned back against his chair and smiled in satisfaction as he watched his team play. "They're all talented, including the newbies, so don't worry much and just enjoy your last game."

She dipped her head and took a seat next to him. Her eyes followed the ball and she occasionally took notes on the team's play.

After a good twenty minutes or so, Hyungwon was in the lead with ten points and Sonjoon with seven.

"I think we might be able to win this set," the girl said with wide eyes.

The coach grunted and sat up. "I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet. Sonjoon's team is one of the best and there's a possibility that they might catch up."

She fell silent at his words and her head hung low. He patted her back and the corners of his lips curled upwards. "But don't worry, I'm with you on that. I haven't seen the boys this serious before so I think we might have a chance a winning."

She looked up at him with hopeful eyes and he chuckled. He turned his attention back to the court and watched the boys, scrutinizing their play.

The shrill sound of a whistle echoed through the gym and the two teams made their way to the benches after Sonjoon called a time out. The manager quickly handed the boys towels and bottles of Gatorade as they listened to the coach lecture them.

"You boys are doing great out there so far. Make sure to keep up the difference; we can't let them take the momentum from us. Sonjoon's defense is a bit weak but their offense is stronger than ours so we really have to buck up with blocks and receives."

The whistle was blown was again and he clapped his hands to signal that he was finished talking. "Let's win this!" He shouted and the boys chanted back, "Let's win!"

Baekhyun was breathing heavily as he stood next to the team manager. She stole a glance at him and when he caught her looking, he flashed her a smile and panted, "What's wrong?"

She shook her head and handed him a towel. "Nothing."

He cocked an eyebrow as he wiped his sweat. "If you say so."

"Baekhyun! Quit chatting with her and get back in the game!" His coach barked and he jumped in shock. "G-Got it!" He threw his towel on the bench and jogged back out onto the court, giving Jongin a high five as he headed to the benches.

The younger panted and the girl quickly handed him an energy drink. He smiled at her. "Thanks mom. How're you enjoying the game so far?"

She awkwardly smiled. "Still pretty nervous about everything."

He cocked an eyebrow as he hurriedly drank from the bottle and she sighed. "You guys are doing really well out there and I'm getting a lot more info on both our and Sonjoon's team but I'm still pretty nervous. I mean, this is like the biggest game you guys have ever played before".

He let out a breath when he pulled the bottle away, a bit of the yellow liquid dripping down his chin and mixing with his sweat. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and he laughed a bit. "I get what you mean. Just earlier I thought I was gonna pee myself just standing on the court but after playing, it's okay. Let me see what you wrote down."

She handed him her notebook and he skimmed the pages, slowly looking more and more impressed with the notes that she took. "Wow, this is amazing. You should just not go to college and stay with us after you graduate," he joked and she laughed. "I'll still come by to visit once in a while. Besides, you'll probably get a prettier team manager or someone."

He shrugged and then turned his attention back to the game and caught Baekhyun digging the ball back up. He cheered for the elder teammate and shouted, "Let's go Hyungwon High!" His other teammates cheered along and he smiled proudly when he saw his team get motivated from the small chant.

The sound of a whistle sounded and each team went back to their respective bench after the first set. It was a close win with Hyungwon barely managing to keep the score difference between them and Sonjoon.

The manager of the team was running to and fro, handing out energy drinks and towels to each other the players. She watched worriedly as they wiped the sweat from their faces or gulped the drink as if their lives depended on it.

"Alright, we managed to get the first set. Good job, kids. Let's keep this up so that Sonjoon can't ruin our streak. Jongdae, great setting. Yifan and Tao, your spikes are amazing as usual. And Baekhyun, I need you to react a bit more quickly when it comes to saving the balls. I know you're wondering whether or not one of the other boys are gonna hit it but just keep your eye open and you'll be able to dig and dive faster. Also, Jongin, I'm switching you out for the first half of the second set with Yixing. Now, let's get ready to kick some Sonjoon !" Their coach bellowed. He extended a hand and soon, the sweaty hands of the players were stacked up on top. The men then turned to the team manager and she pointed to herself.

"Me too?" She asked with wide eyes.

Tao grinned and nodded to the pile. "Come on mom, you're part of the team too."

She hesitated for a moment but then put her hand on the very top. The coach looked at her and said, "You start us off."

She nodded and then yelled, "Won't stop, can't stop, Hyungwon High!"

"Won't stop, can't stop, Hyungwon High!" They shouted afterwards and then threw their hands in the air. The whistle sounded again and the starting players all made their way to the court.

During the game, Baekhyun was switched out with Yixing when a full rotation was made and thankfully took a small break. His breathing was labored and his face and uniform was drenched with sweat. The girl rushed around and ed a towel into his hands. He happily took it and wiped himself off. "I have a good feeling about this, mom. Look, we're even maintaining our point difference."

The currect score was 13 to 11 with Hyungwon in the lead. She had her lips pressed in a thin line and then let out a groan when the opposite team's spike managed to break through their defense. "I really hope your feeling is right because they just scored another point on us."

The libero's eyes widened and he whipped his head to the side quickly, a shower of sweat raining upon the girl. "Ew!"

"Oh my god, they really did! Damn it!"

"Uh Baekhyun, you got sweat in my eye."

He turned his head back to her quickly, another small shower of sweat raining upon her. "Sorry."

She wiped her face with her eyes closed and frown on her lips. "Did it again."

He smiled sheepishly and dabbed her face with his towel. "Can't help it when I've been running around here and there for nearly an hour and half. If I wasn't sweating, we'd have a problem."

The team manager snorted and nodded. "Good point."

Baekhyun turned back to watch the game and then quietly asked, "Hey, can you do me a favor?"

She looked up at him and he continued. "There's something I want to tell you after the game. Wiill you listen to it?"

The girl smiled and nodded. "Of course I will, Baekhyun. What is it?"

"Baekhyun, you're in!" The coach shouted and the boy grinned. "You'll see. Just wait, mom. I'll knock your socks off!"

She laughed and gave him a thumbs up. "I'll be waiting then."

The game continued on and Sonjoon was slowly catching up to Hyungwon with their float serves and quicks. The boys were slowly getting tired and discouraged, causing the coach to call a time out. They all gathered around the man, wiping their sweat and drinking from the bottles that were passed out by the team manager.

The man sighed and rubbed his face wearily. "I know you guys are starting to feel nervous with Sonjoon catching up and whatnot but don't be. If we managed to snag the first set, then I believe that you'll be able to win this and take the trophy home. I know we've haven't been using any quicks or anything but Yifan and Tao, I think it's time for it. Luhan, it's your time to shine as a decoy. Confuse the hell out of them so that we can get those points back and take this championship. Got it?"

"Yes coach!" They all chorused.

The referee blew the whistle and the two teams made their way back to the court. The team manager watched anxiously as she watched the boys get into position with Yifan giving them all a quick pep talk as captain.

The game soon resumed and the girl couldn't watch without biting on her nails nervously. Her heart stopped when she saw the ball slowly tip over the net onto Hyungwon's side but when she saw Baekhyun run for it, she sighed in relief. Jongdae then set the ball up and as Sonjoon watched carefully, he decided to trick them by setting it to Luhan instead of Yifan. The other team panicked and tried to block the blonde but they were too slow for his spike. With Luhan's spike, the team was slowly starting to gain their spirits back.

Sonjoon and Hyungwon were battling out a tie, the two teams with 24 points. The atmosphere was tense and no one could predict who would come out to be the winner.

The girl bit her lower lip so hard it started to bleed a bit. The man noticed the small amount of red on her lip and patted her shoulder. "Don't worry, kid. I believe in them," he said. She looked up at him and then looked back at the court. "I do too."

The rally between the two teams was long and no matter how many times Sonjoon tried to spike, Baekhyun would receive the ball easily and pass it to Jongdae. The boys were all getting tired so they decided to end it.

"Jongdae, end it!" Baekhyun shouted at the setter and the younger nodded.

Their opponents all got ready to jump up for their block but they didn't know where it would go. Jongdae pretended to glance towards Yifan, making the team shuffle over to where the tall Chinese was. However, he set it to Luhan who was behind him and the boy tipped it over, the other team's libero not making it in time and the ball gently landing on the floor in front of his hand.

The referee blew his whistle, signalling the end of the match and the members of the Hyungwon high school male volleyball team all started cheering. The manager and coach screamed at their victory and jumped into each other's arms.

The two teams lined up on their sides of the court, bowed, then made their way to the net to shake hands. Compliments and words of encouragement were exchanged and while Hyungwon left the court with huge smiles on their faces, Sonjoon was solemn and quietly made their way back to their bench.

"We won! We ing won!" Jongdae shouted and Chanyeol jumped on his back. "Party time!" He bellowed while swinging his arms around.

The girl hugged Tao and jumped in excitement. "You did it! I told you you could do it!"

The younger meekly smiled and rubbed his nape. "I guess I could. Thanks mom."

Someone cleared their throat and when they looked off to the side, they saw Baekhyun smiling. "Can I talk to mom for a sec?" He asked and the younger boy nodded and stalked off to find Yifan, screeching something in Chinese.

"Hey, great game. You have no idea how scared I was every time the ball was about to touch the ground," she chuckled.

He gave her a boyish grin. "That's why I'm on court. Hey, about what I said before, wil-"

"Hyungwon High School, please proceed to the center of the court." The announcement rang through the arena.

She pushed him towards the court and smiled. "Later. But just go get your trophy."

He hesitated for a moment before nodding and following his fellow teammates.

Cameras shuttered and lights flashed as the press took hundreds of pictures of the winning team receiving their trophy from the head of the volleyball association. The man congratulated the team and gestured to the camera, asking the captain to say a few words.

Yifan looked at the camera, then at the trophy, and then back at the camera. "First off, I'd like to thank our coach and team manager for believing in us and training us for this day. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't have won. Also, I'd like to thank the members of our team. Each one of you played a vital part during the game, whether you were on court or cheering for us on the bench. Thank you for putting forth your best effort and never giving up. Although this is the last game for us third year students, we trust that the younger students will continue to strive for the top and never stop working hard to win. Thank you so much!"

He then turned to his team and stuck a hand out. The members piled their hands on top and after counting to 3, they all shouted, "Won't stop, can't stop, Hyungwon high!"

The crowd cheered and just as they were about to make their way back to the bench to gather their things, Baekhyun pushed through and shouted, "Before we go, I have something to say!"

Everyone turned their attention to the third year libero and he cleared his throat. "Um, mom, I told you earlier that I wanted to tell you something. And before anyone misunderstands anything, I'm not talking about the mom who gave birth to me. I'm talking about team manager who we call mom because she's like a mom to all of us. Anyways, it took a lot of thinking and planning and I thought this was a good time to ask you this."

The girl's eyes grew wide and the press as well as the crowd as looking for the girl.

Baekhyun took in a deep breath and asked, "Will you go out with me?"

Her jaw dropped and he continued. "I liked you ever since the day you joined the team as the manager. I remember how you calmed me down when I messed up during our first practice and that just confirmed my feelings for you. You probably don't feel the same way as I do but I've been wanting to get this off my chest because we're going to be in different colleges in the fall. So, will you go out with me?"

The girl couldn't stop staring at the libero in shock and the coach pushed her out onto the court. "Don't keep the boy waiting! Give him your answer!" He gave her a fatherly smile.

She awkwardly looked around as she shuffled out to the center of the court. Her heart raced as she took one step closer, cold sweat dotting her forehead. When she stood in front of Baekhyun, the rest of the team, and the cameramen, she gulped.

The boy his dry lips and she took in a nervous breath. "I'm really shocked right now. If I knew this was what you wanted to ask me earlier, I wouldn't have pushed you out onto the court."

Chuckles echoed through the arena and she went on. "I'm really touched by your confession. To be honest, I kind of liked you too. I don't mind going out with you but are you going to make the effort to always stay connected with me when we go off to college?"

His face lit up and he nodded. "Definitely. I definitely will."

She then shyly smiled and said, "Then yes. Yes I will go out with you, Byun Baekhyun."

Everyone went wild and the libero pulled the girl in for a hug. "Oh my god, this is like a dream come true. Well, this and our victory."

She laughed and wrapped her arms around him. "You better not break your promise."

Suddenly, the crowd started to chant, "Kiss. Kiss. Kiss. Kiss."

The newly born couple looked around with wide eyes. The team members behind them were following along as well as the coach who was looking on from the bench.

"Well, we have to give what the crowd wants." Baekhyun shrugged and before the girl could say anything, he pulled her close and pressed his lips against hers.

The crowd went wild and when they pulled apart, the girl blushed furiously and buried her face in his uniform despite it being wet from all the sweat. "I hate you," she mumbled and he laughed, hugging her tighter. "Love you too."

 

 

sorry for taking forever to put this oneshot up. i was busy with school but i happened to have a three day weekend and i was feeling bored so i decided to finish this! it's probably not that great but at least you all finally got to read it. thanks for waiting so patiently and hope you all enjoyed it ^^