Chapter 1

Behind the Masquerade
“There’s a rumour going around that Lee Byungho’s daughter is returning to Korea.”
 
The man elbowed his colleague out of the way to collect the freshly printed stack of papers from the photocopier and flipped his long fringe out of his face as they headed back to the meeting room.
 
“I wonder what she looks like now,” his colleague said again, studying the board filled with their suspect’s details. “This photo was taken more than two decades ago,” he tapped on the photo of the aforementioned daughter.
 
“Junho, do you mind helping out while motoring your mouth off?” the man snapped, tossing half the stack of papers towards him.
 
“Chill, Gunwoo. Mommy’s boy is not here to bark at us.” Junho picked up the tape, paused then set it down again, fishing his pocket for his phone. “Wait, maybe we can find photos of her online. She’s private but there must be at least a photo of her somewhere.”
 
Gunwoo rolled his eyes and reached for Junho’s stack of papers, knowing well that his colleague would not have the papers up on the board by the end of their break and he does not want to get whacked by their senior officer.
 
“Who did she work for after graduation?” Junho asked, fingers tapping furiously on his phone.
 
“Mellok Advertising,” Gunwoo replied while looking through her personal details and paste the paper below her old photo. He continued putting up the rest of the papers until he was rudely interrupted by a stinging slap across his back.
 
“I found her!” Junho exclaimed, his eyes shining bright in excitement.
 
Gunwoo felt himself going cross eyed when Junho shoved the phone too close to his face. “This photo was taken at her company’s anniversary dinner. That’s her on the right.” Gunwoo stared, glanced at her old photo and back to study the little girl who had grown into an attractive young woman.
 
“Thank god for puberty,” Junho said as looked up at the ceiling with his hands clasped in prayer.
 
“Why are you so excited? She’s out of your league anyways.” Gunwoo handed back the phone to its owner and took a step back in surprise when he caught the frosty glare of their senior officer. He gave Junho a warning kick at his shoe.
 
“So what? She’s hot,” Junho whistled as he look at the photo again. “Did you see her legs?”
 
         “And what are you going to do about it?”
 
         Junho almost dropped the phone. He quickly his heels and bowed with his arms pressed by his sides.
 
         Their senior officer tilted his head to a side, The lack of response only made him irritated. “I asked you a question,” he said pointedly, his voice just above a whisper.
 
         “No, sunbaenim,” Junho answered, cursing under his breath for failing to recognize Gunwoo’s warning earlier.
 
         “Is my face on the floor? Look at me when you answer.”
 
         Junho lifted his head, flinching slightly at the stern expression directed at him. “I’m sorry, sunbaenim. I won’t make the mistake again.”
 
         “Make sure you don’t, Junho.” The man stared awhile longer before his eyes slide over to Gunwoo. “Did you enter the team to gossip?”
 
         “No, that wasn’t my intention,” Gunwoo answered curtly his head held high to avoid being called out.
 
         “So, do what you’re supposed to do right. You messed up on the filing again.”
 
         “Henry Lau, give them a break.” An older man with greying hair strode into the room and the younger detectives bowed hurriedly.
 
         “We shouldn’t be lenient on them, Chief Kang,” Henry protested.
 
         “It’s lunch time. You can be strict on them when it’s over,” the older man waved them away, much to their relief, and turned back to Henry, “and I told you to call me hyung. When will I get it through to you?” Youngchul patted him on the back and settled into the chair, facing the information taped on the board.
 
         “Is his daughter returning to Korea?”
 
         “I’ll check on the rumour and report back.”
 
         Youngchul nodded, eyes fixated on Lee Byungho’s youngest child.
 

 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

 
         “When’s your sister flying in?” The woman adjusted her jewelled necklace and noted the man from the corners of her eyes, who sat on the other end of the limousine. His silence prompted her pursed lips and she turned back to stare at the driver’s headrest. “Don’t ignore me.”
 
         The man took a deep breath. He tore his gaze away from the security checks conducted outside the car and threw a meager glance in her direction. “I’ve told you before, don’t speak of her.”
 
         “I’m not going to do that just because you said so. No one can tell me what to do,” she snapped and his scoff further irritated her.
 
         “Then why did you marry me? Out of love?” he sneered. “I’m absolutely sure there’s no love in this marriage.”
 
         “There are mutual benefits for both our families in this marriage. I’m not blind and irrational to ignore those benefits, considering that my father’s company will be mine one day.” She crossed her arms over her evening gown and repeated her question.
 
         “Sometime this week, I suppose.”
 
         She stiffened when he leaned in close and ran a finger down the side of her face and held her chin between his thumb and index finger. “Now that I’ve answered your question, let me remind you.” She tried to pull away but he yanked at her chin.
 
         “She is not my sister.”
 
         “Then what is she?” she retorted.
 
         “My father may have a daughter but she’s not a sister of mine.” His adamant refusal to acknowledge the woman never cease to perplex her. He looked up when the car came to a halt and observed the group of photographers waiting by the red carpet. Like a pack of stray dogs by the butcher's door, he thought. “That’s the end of this conversation. Remember, smile.”
 
         Flashes went off in every direction as they made their way along the red carpet, bright smiles etched across their faces for the camera. They were the couple that everyone wished to besmart, rich, good-looking, and influential. Their marriage was between the two largest corporations in the country, and with their combined wealth and power, nothing is impossible.
 
         “Lee Jehoon-shi, it’s been a year since you and Joo Haein-shi got married. Are there any plans for children?” a reporter shouted from the sidelines when they appeared at the photowall.
 
         He felt her tightened grasp on his arm and responded with a hand over hers. Camera flashes grew frantic to capture the seemingly loving moment but in private, it was nothing but a loveless contract marriage. The corner of her lips turned up into a small smile as she wondered what it would be like if their union had been on love.
 
         “We’re currently happy with where we are right now,” Jehoon smiled warmly at his wife, a sharp contrast in his attitude towards her earlier. “Having children is not our priority right now. Isn’t that right, yeobo?”
 
         Haein gave a well practiced smile for the cameras. “Yes.”
 

 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

 
         “Hyung, have you seen hyungnim’s sister?.”
 
         The older man set the stools down on the ground and gave the bar a half hearted dust. He looked around the bartender. “Dongmin needs a scare before he’ll turn up for work on time, doesn’t he?”
 
         “He’s probably out with his new girlfirend, spoiling her to bits,” the man with a slight limp in his left leg snickered and took a draw from his cigarette. “Anyways, have you seen her?”
 
         “She left the country when she was less than ten years old and I’ve only been working under Jehoon hyungnim for eight years. You do the math. Also, I just had a thought. Who do you think here is the manager of this club, Hyunwoo?” He set a stool down with a little more strength than necessary. It startled Hyunwoo and he promptly put out his cigarette.
 
         “Of course, Jackson hyung. Let me do it.” Hyunwoo plucked the other stool out of his hands and guided Jackson to a nearby seat.
 
         “Maybe I should fire everyone and get new help. It’s close to opening time but I’ve not seen a single shadow,” Jackson muttered under his breath.
 
         He laid an arm over his tired eyes and sighed. He had a long day with only four hours of sleep and here he is, back at the club, preparing for another night. His sleeping hours seemed to gradually shorten over the years since he became the manager and it doesn’t help that he has trouble with falling asleep.
 
         “Back to the topic.” Hyunwoo laid his hands over the older man’s shoulder and began to knead his tight muscles.
 
         Jackson groaned, “I still don’t see how this interests me.”          
 
         “This is our chance, hyung,” Hyunwoo exclaimed. “If we pick the right card, we’ll get a good life.” Jackson winced at the strong squeeze on his shoulder. He peeled Hyunwoo’s hands away and walked behind the counter.
 
         “Drop it, Hyunwoo. You don’t know who’s worth your time and effort until you know what they’re capable of,” he said and poured himself a shot. “For all you know, she could be just an airhead heiress who does nothing but shop all day long and dine at expensive places,” he added and bit into a slice of lime.
 
         “Whatever, at least I’m not writing her off my list just yet. We’re open in two hours,” Hyunwoo called out at the echoing footsteps and turned around to find two men strutting into his view. “Hey, government dogs aren’t welcomed in here.”
 
         “Taehyun,” The thinner of the two warned as he held out his arm to stop his partner from taking another step towards Hyunwoo.
 
         “Yeah, better keep a leash on him.”
 
         “Have some respect, you little s.hit,” Taehyun growled.
 
         “Then get out of my sight. It’s as easy as that.” Hyunwoo proudly showcased his middle finger.
 
         Jackson sighed and leaned forward. “What do you want, Doojoon?” His hands gripped the edge of the bar counter. “I usually don’t see you around other than during drug raids.”
 
         “A man was found badly beaten up in the alley behind the club. He’d have lost his life if the garbage collectors hadn’t brought him to the hospital,” Doojoon said and climbed onto the barstool, his eyes fixed on the club manager. “His blood tests came out positive for in his system.”
 
         Jackson poured a shot and slide it towards Doojoon. “It’s on the house.”
 
         The detective downed it and snatched the piece of lime from Jackson. “Now, tell me what I came for.”
 
         “How can I tell you something that I don’t know?” Jackson replied, his answer coy. “Why don’t you ask the man himself?”
 
         “I would if he wasn’t lying in bed with a coma,” Doojoon said. They shared a long gaze and Doojoon wondered how can a person change so much in such a short time. “Jackson, what the hell are you doing with your life?” he said just loud enough for the both of them to hear.
 
         Jackson studied the concerned eyes of the man who was once the only friend he had during his short-lived stint in the police academy. His eyes slide over to the wrinkles at the corner of Doojoon’s eyes and followed the dark eye circles that extend down to his cheeks, making him appear older than his true age.
 
         “People change,” Jackson said. He paused—as if contemplating to say more—then offered a close-mouthed smile. “If there’s nothing else, please leave. We’re busy preparing for opening time.”
 
         Doojoon was well acquainted with his personality: if he doesn’t offer more, good luck trying to weasel anymore information from him. It’s not without reason that he’s Jackson closest friend during their cadet days but he wasn’t used to being on the other side of the fence. Jackson would usually confide his troubles to him, cheer him up when he’s down, become his ear during times of need, someone who is loyal and protective of their friendship—everything that a friend should be. However, that all change in a single day when Doojoon watched his broken friend walked out the gates of the academy.
 
         Without another word, Doojoon turned to leave with Taehyun following closely behind.
 
         “You attended the academy with them?” Hyunwoo said in disbelief, at the same time trying to get him to talk about that time, even though he knew very well that Jackson doesn’t like to talk about his past. So it came without surprise when silence was all he got from him.
 

 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

 
         She studied the passengers from her flight as they made their way through the automatic doors of the arrival hall. While most of them scanned the hall for their waiting family and friends, the less fortunate few merely headed straight for the exitexpected to find their own way to their destination—and she belonged to the latter. She didn’t expect any sort of welcome party and approached the taxi service counter when someone tapped her on the shoulder.
 
         “Amber.” A tall, slender man—his brown hair lay messy atop his head and dressed in a dark suit that hugged in all the right places as his tie hung loosely around his neck—stood behind her.
 
         She let out a yelp of surprise and jumped into his open arms, her head reaching just over his shoulder. “You said you couldn’t come get me because the meeting was running late,” she said.
 
         He pinched her cheek fondly. “It was just an excuse to surprise you. I haven’t seen my baby sister in ages. Do you seriously think I’d choose work over you? So, where’s your luggage? You couldn’t have returned home with only a backpack.” He looked around for her bags.
 
         She snickered and jabbed a thumb behind her. “My bag boy will be out soon,” she said.
 
         He looked on quizzically until his eyes fell on the person pushing the baggage trolley towards them.
 
         “Yeonseok hyung!”
 
         “What are you doing here, Chanyeol?” Yeonseok turned to his sister for an answer and she merely shrugged.
 
         “I’ll leave it to him to explain.”
 
         “I thought I’d follow Amber nuna back for a short visit. I haven’t been back here since I was ten.” Chanyeol grinned widely despite his cousin brother’s growing frown and attacked Yeonseok with a crushing hug. “Come on, you must’ve missed me!”
 
         “Can’t breathe,” Yeonseok joked and tried to shove him away but the latter wouldn’t budge. With a defeated grin, Yeonseok held his other arm open for her.
 
         “I’ve missed you, oppa,” she sighed, her arms barely reaching a full circle around her two men.
 
         After loading their luggages into the car, Yeonseok brought them to her new apartment in downtown Seoul. Along the ride to her place, Amber was grateful for Chanyeol’s endless chatter. It took her mind off the fact that she’s a little frightened at the idea of moving back to the country she hardly knew. The feeling of regret began creeping into her heart the moment she got off the plane.
 
         “Wow.” Chanyeol stepped around her, heading for the wide windows looking out at the beautiful lights of the metropolitan city. Amber collapsed on the maroon couch and hugged a pillow to her chest.
 
         “Where’s the kid going to stay?” Yeonseok asked, looking on with a warm smile.
 
         Chanyeol clarified, “Hey, I’m only two months younger than her.”
 
         “He can stay here,” Amber said and caught her brother’s wrist, pulling him down onto the seat next to her.
 
         “You sure about that? I can get him a room at the hotel.”
 
         She laid her head on Yeonseok’s lap and held his arm in her embrace. “I don’t mind it. It’s comforting to have him around.”
 
         “Great. Ignore me,” Chanyeol muttered. He watched the siblings on the couch and the words left his mouth before it went through his brain. “You know, you guys make a good couple.”
 
         “Yeol-ah, what nonsense are you spouting?” She made a face at her brother. He twirled a finger next to his head, his grin lopsided.
 
         “Just saying.” Chanyeol shrugged and turned back to the city lights.
         
         “Years of medical school probably left his brain in a mush.” Amber closed her eyes and let her brother her hair like he used to when she was younger. He poked a finger into the hollow of her cheek.
 
         “Are you absolutely sure you want to go through with your plans?” his voice quiet and serious.
 
         “If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be here in the first place,” she answered with her eyes still shut. “I don’t want to talk about it now. I’m tired.”
 
         Yeonseok nodded, and gently pat her to sleep.
 
         However, Amber was far from falling asleep. She couldn’t bring herself to talk about it when she hasn’t settled the lingering feelings of regret and self-doubt. She knew avoidance is not the answer but she just need a little more time. She’d already made up her mind when she started the plan years ago.
 
         There's no turning back.
 

 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

 
         “Henry sunbaenim.”
 
         He looked up from his desk and his eyes ran down the length of Junho’s outstretched arm and recognized the familiar phone buzzing on the his palm.
 
         “Your phone has been buzzing for awhile,” Junho said.
 
         “Thanks.” A quick glance at the caller ID made Henry’s heart beat a little faster and he waved Junho away. “Hey,” he answered the call and turned away from his colleagues.
 
         “Yah..” Junho half-whispered, half-hissed as he waved Gunwoo over to his desk. “Who made mommy’s boy smile like that?”
 
         “Oh, it’s just his mom,” Gunwoo chuckled and thumped the top of Junho’s head. “Why are you being so nosy?”
 
         Junho shoved him away in fake annoyance and they watched their senior officer speak in hush tones. “You’re not any better. If you weren’t nosy, how would you have known that it was his mother?”
 
         “It was just a glance when I picked up the phone,” Junho defended amid his partner’s snorts of disbelief.
 
         “Yeah, I’m still at the office.” Henry found himself missing the voice on the other end as he listened in with a smile. “I don’t think I’ll be off work anytime soon.” He got up from his desk and stepped towards the window.
 
         “I miss you.” Henry hid his embarrassment with a chuckle. “I wish I could see you.” His face fell at the caller’s answer. “Yeah, I know that it’s inconvenient. It’s okay. I’ll talk to you soon,” he muttered.
 
         “Isn’t your mom lonely? You mentioned that you didn’t have family in the US,” Junho said as he handed several folders to Henry.
 
         “She wouldn’t return to Korea with me, no matter how much I persuaded her.” Henry signed the documents and handed it back.
 
         “Well, you can say you won’t get married as a threat.” He winked, mentally patting himself on the back for thinking of that idea.
 
         Henry raised an eyebrow. “Married at this age?”
 
         “My mom got married at your age,” Gunwoo said, appearing by his desk.
 
         “You have five months left till the year ends,” Junho paused. “Well, you can’t get married without a woman. I’ll introduce you to my friends,” Junho rubbed his hand together in glee.
 
         “Henry Lau, an exceptional, hard working police officer who had climbed the ranks faster than anyone else before him. A senior police inspector at the age of thirty-three and the star of the criminal investigations division,” Junho said, as if reading off his profile, brandishing the roll of reports at an imaginary audience. “The young, good-looking detective with the brains to match has received many commendations for his outstanding performances and there’s more to come in his bright future. Ladies, he’s not a bad catch.”
 
         “Yah.. do you think you’re running an auction for a highly prized tuna?” Gunwoo clucked his tongue disapprovingly. He turned Henry and rolled his eyes at their colleague’s dramatic flair. “Or maybe you have someone else in mind?” he offered.
 
         “Well..  there’s this person but we’ve not seen each other in a long time,” Henry muttered and watched with a secret smile as the two got excited over the piece of information that he’d dangled in front of them like a carrot.
 
         “Who is she?”
 
         “Someone that I’d do anything for,” Henry stopped and pressed a finger over lips, a twinkle of mischief in his eyes. His subordinates to let out exasperated sighs at his refusal to let in more.
 
 
 
 
 
 
         “The BH Group is the largest conglomerate company in the country. It’s a leader in many areas such as electronics, retail, entertainment, financial services, construction and many more. You name it, they have it.”
 
         Doojoon nodded at Junho for the next slides but the latter didn’t get his cue until Taehyun kicked the back of his chair. “I’m sorry.” Junho addressed the room with a chuckle.
 
         “The company was founded by Lee Byungho in the fifties. Recently, there’s been talk of him stepping down soon from his post as CEO and watching over as the role of chairman. He hasn’t appointed a successor but many speculated that his eldest son will succeed him.”
 
         “Lee Byungho has three children.” Doojoon picked up his notes and explained as the photo of a good-looking man in his forties projected on the screen.
 
         “Lee Jehoon, age forty-five, his eldest son. He married Sungjin Group’s only daughter, Ju Haein, a year ago. He has been working for the company since graduation and his many years of experience makes him a favourable successor.”
 
         “Lee Yeonseok, age forty-three, his second son. He’s currently engaged to a normal citizen. He also works for the company but insiders have understood that he had no intention of taking over his father. It’s an open secret among high society folks that the father and son don’t see eye to eye ever since their fallout.”
 
         “Lee Eunyoung, age thirty, is his only daughter. She was sent to live in the US with her relatives when she was six. She graduated from New York University and has since worked for a prestigious Manhattan marketing firm.”  Doojoon closed his file and glanced at the woman on the screen behind him. “In the States, she’s known as Amber.”
 
         Youngchul patted him on the shoulder and took over the position as the lights came back on in their small meeting room.
 
         He slipped his hands into his pockets and began, “Before Lee Byungho started the company, he was a small town gangster. Even then, he was rarely convicted for his crimes. He was like a slippery fish that always escaped the hands of law. We knew what he did but there was no evidence.”
 
         “Although Lee Byungho had publicly addressed the issue of his past and swore that he’s no longer involve in organized crime, we have reasons to believe that he still remains in contact with other gang leaders.”
 
         “Like back then, he’s suspected for blackmail, bribery and drug distribution.” Byungho crossed his arms over his chest. "Also, he has many allies in the political circle. It’s our responsibility to identify those involved in unlawful practices and have them face the law for their wrongdoings."
 
         Youngchul snapped his fingers, suddenly remembering the question that slipped his mind. “Also, what did you get when you went by the club yesterday afternoon?”
 
         “Nothing, that son of a b” Taehyun stopped at Doojoon’s strict glare then continued, “the club manager, Jackson denied that he had anything to do with the injured man or the source of .”
 
         “Of course, he’d deny it,” Henry said.
 
         Youngchul nodded. “Anyways, keep this case strictly confidential. We don’t want the individuals involved or the media alerted of this investigation.” He eyed each of his men in seriousness. “Understood?”
 
         Kang Youngchul has been in the police force for almost twenty years. He had many high profile cases involving notable societal figures and his years of experience taught him to be bold when dealing with powerful people To him, they’re nothing but criminals to be faced with the consequences of breaking the law.
 
         His past cases was successful due to hard work, perseverance and guts. But no matter the extent those traits play a role in his success, he couldn’t have done it without evidences provided by undercover agents and informers.
 
         He made sure that his operatives fully understood the risks involved in their jobs—that one wrong move could give them away. He strived to ensure the safety of his operatives and attempted to abort those who are unable to continue psychologically and physiologically but not before pushing them to their limits. If there’s anything that he has ever regretted it was his failure to keep his promise to the few lives that were lost in his stubborn belief that his operatives are more than capable in accomplishing their tasks.
 
         After work, Youngchul rode the nearest subway from the police station and exited the carriage fifteen minutes later, heading straight for the station’s public lockers. He the key that he received in the mail yesterday from his operative as he searched for the locker number engraved on the key, finally stopping at the row hidden away from the public. He picked up the brown envelope and rode the subway again this time for home.
 
         Once Youngchul entered his apartment, he activated the multiple locks on the door in a routined manner and dumped the envelope’s contents onto the coffee table.
 
         Youngchul picked up the paper that carried the sender’s incomprehensible scrawls. He squinted as if it could make it easier to read.
 
         “He should correct his writing,” Youngchul muttered in annoyance. It was obvious that the person had written the letter on different occasions based on the handwriting. The beginning was still legible before it got worse towards the bottom as the lack of spacing between words hinted that the sender had gotten frantic.
 
         “I heard that there’s a shipment coming in this Friday,” he began the letter. ““I’m not sure what they’re bringing in. I’ll let you know when I get the details.”
 
         Black ink scratches decorated across the small piece of paper as the sender kept cancelling out his words. Youngchul skipped those blackened spaces until the following caught his attention.
 
         I don’t think I can do this anymore.
 
         It’s been seven years since I began the operation. You said that my service wouldn’t last more than a year. You said that all I have to do is search for their weak points. You told me to stay for another year and another and another. You said many things. Are you ever going to pull me out?
 
         Everyday I live in fear of being discovered. I just want this to end.
 
 
 

 

Hey everyone! 

I really want to know what are the reader's thoughts so remember to leave them in the comment section below. :)

And the last item to roll outthe first trailer!