9 Years Later

Breathe. Live.

Yongguk was driving, and Himchan was in the front seat. It was her birthday, and Yongguk had been too busy with his career to buy any gifts beforehand. It had been a few months since the wedding and Himchan was trying. Trying to cope, trying to move on, and so far, Himchan was doing alright; not until two hours ago, when he received an emergency text from Yongguk: CHANNIE MEET ME NOW SAVE ME

 Yongguk was driving downtown to a particular clothes store Himchan recommended. He was never really good at reading women’s hearts or knowing what they wanted. Ryung Bi wasn’t an exception, that girl always said she never wanted anything but ‘this’, Yongguk chuckled to himself.

Just then, Yongguk’s phone vibrated. Himchan took a glimpse of the caller ID on his mobile, and his heart sank while Yongguk put it to his ear.

‘Lovely Baby’. Himchan held himself back from gagging.

Yongguk immediately lit up as he answered. Gently, he asked how her day was, what was the matter. Himchan grimaced at the sight. Did it really matter? You’re married to her. You see her every damn night. Himchan turned his head away from Yongguk and rolled his eyes throughout their conversation. It wasn’t that she was a bad person. It was because that she was sickeningly sweet that it made it difficult for him to detest her. Yet all he could think was that it was him that should be in her place. How Yongguk would be by his side more if they hadn’t wedded. How she took him away from him. How it wasn’t her fault; but it was. Himchan’s heart ached. He felt like he was drowning ; he rolled down the window to get a breath of fresh air.

Three’s a crowd, they say, he thought bitterly to himself.

“Yes, yes, yes. Baby, I’ll see you soon, don’t worry. Okay I’ll be there as soon as I can. Happy birthday,” Yongguk laughed and pulled over. Himchan heaved a sigh and got out of the car. He couldn’t bear to hear the rest of their conversation anymore. He opened the door of the shop and didn’t stop to wait for Yongguk.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Aish, we’re already late, really, why is it so difficult to pick out a dress?!” Yongguk moaned and took the bag from the cashier’s hands. Yongguk swiped out his phone and cleared 3 missed calls. Himchan rolled his eyes.

They got into the car and Yongguk fumbled at the ignition. Himchan saw that Yongguk was trying to redial and text her while driving at the same time. It was clear how much he loved her. It was so clear that it hurt.

Yongguk gave up texting and uttered words of frustration. Unknowingly, he stepped harder on the pedal.

When his redialing finally worked, it landed in voicemail. There was an intersection up front. Yongguk kept redialing, but it was no use. There was no answer.

“… Please leave your message after the tone.” A distinct beep was heard.

“Hey, sorry I missed your calls, I know I’m late, but I love-“

 The voicemail was overridden with Himchan’s yelling. Then a deafening crash.

Silence.

“… Your voicemail has been sent.”