1

The King's Crown Jewel

Somewhere in the outskirts of the city a man with a big suitcase was on his way to an ancient looking antique shop. He seemed to drift over the pavement, as if he was used to sneak around places he wasn’t supposed to be. His large hat hid most of his face that could easily be described as handsome and untrustworthy. He was tired and possibly covered in layers of dust, yet was watchful.

A small bell could be heard as the man opened the door of the old shop. You’d expect it to look messy and filled with useless objects, but on the controversy it was in an excellent state.

“I still don’t get why a man like you, Bang Yongguk, nicknamed the king would spent his free time in a place like this,” he commented when he spotted the owner.

“That’s none of your business, Himchan. I suppose you have what I wanted. For a bounty hunter of your calibre it shouldn’t have been too hard of a job, am I right? They call you the snake for a reason,” Yongguk replied with a sly smile on his face. The bounty hunter growled in response. The man didn’t even know what he was talking about.

Himchan had travelled over the surface of the earth twice, had to seek help of people even he preferred to avoid and got almost killed several times.

He followed Yongguk to his office and set the suitcase on the desk. With a nod of approval Yongguk opened it and found what he’d been looking for, the crown jewel to his collection.

He held the object in his hand. It was a large egg with shimmering colours dancing over the surface like the waves of a raging sea. Yongguk never expected to see let alone hold what was most likely the last dragon egg.

“Don’t get too excited. The guy who gave me its location said it was dead inside after all those years without the mother,” Himchan stated, a bit impatient. “And when do I get the money? This was the hardest job I ever had and probably ever will have,” he added. Yongguk nodded and carefully put the egg back. He got another smaller suitcase from behind his desk and opened it, showing the bounty hunter the content.

Himchan got a feeling of accomplishment seeing the money, all that hard work was definitely worth it. “I don’t care what you’re going to do with it, but that’s one hell of an expensive omelette,” he joked as he received his reward.

 

Yongguk sighed in relief when the bounty hunter had finally left. He carefully picked the egg up and stared at it in fascination as a child during Christmas. The longer he looked at it, the more symbols he discovered on the egg. He recognized tons of them, from the Celtic triskelion to the Greek Cornucopia. The egg also showed texts in runes and languages even he didn’t understand.

Bang Yongguk had always been intrigued by myths and legends. It was his grandfather that showed him that they were true. For generations the most influential traded in creatures and their belongings, just like he did. Yongguk had also taken on the task to create a collection of proof of their existence for the future. He believed that they were part of the culture and just like other things as music and art; they had to be preserved.

He finally managed to take his eyes of the beauty of the egg to go home. Once there he put it in the showcase he prepared for it. When he knew that it was safe he left the showroom for his home office. He had to make an important call.

 

Three days later someone knocked on the door. A young man with purple hair and unnecessary glasses walked in.

“Bang Yongguk, what was so urgent that I immediately had to leave my job in Hong Kong? What have I done to you that you think so lowly of me?” he spoke in his usual though annoyed formal tone.

“Absolutely nothing, Moon Jongup. I still respect you and your profession, but I assure you that your early leave was worth it,” Yongguk stated as he bowed and shook his hand. He knew how much honour and respect meant to his old friend, that was the only reason for him being formal. Any other close friend always received a tight hug from Yongguk, especially the ones that he hadn’t seen in a long time.

Jongup followed Yongguk to the showroom. He knew what was expected from him. Moon Jongup was there to determine the rarity and value of the object his friend had recently acquired. However, the two men didn’t expect to see what had happened in the showroom.

The showcase was broken and the dragon egg itself lay cracked on the ground. It was moving as if the thing inside desperately wanted to get out. The colours of the egg were wilder and it seemed to be on fire. The two froze as they stared at the miracle that was happening in front of their eyes. The dragon egg hatched.

To their surprise it was a one-year-old boy that came out of the egg. He was partially covered with scales that changed colours like the egg did. His eyes had a slit pupil and behaved similar to the scales on his tiny body. When he saw the two men standing in the door opening, he directly started crying.

Yongguk was the first one to break from the panicky trance. He picked the boy up and hushed him.

“Unbelievable… Himchan said it was dead inside,” Yongguk mumbled. Jongup slowly approached him and the now silent dragon young. The little one was staring intensely at the two. The purple haired man went with his hand through the soft blond hair of the young.

“Bang Yongguk, do you realize that you own an actual dragon? What are you going to do with him?” he asked. Yongguk was silent for a few moments as he looked at the boy in his arms.

“Miss Kim, I need whatever kind of supplies a baby or toddler requires! We have an addition to the Bang family!” he suddenly yelled. Moon Jongup was stunned by the huge grin on his friend’s face. “My crown jewel, how should I call you?” Yongguk thought about it for half a minute, “I know it! Hakyeon, your name will be Hakyeon.”

All that Jongup could do was shrug his shoulders. If the king had something on his mind, it would be impossible to keep him from it.

 


First chapter. I hope you like it 

Don't forget to comment your thoughts on it!

Love y'all!