1/3

The Devil in Disguise

It's bright. Like the stars shining through a city of dead dreams or the sun on a gloomy day. No matter the time nor the day, his smile was always bright,

"Kyungsoo, brother, what are you looking at?" Suho asked. His ears perked at the sight of Kyungsoo's far away gaze. His lips twisted into a smile as he followed Kyungsoo's gaze towards a god in the fields.

"Oh...that's Chanyeol. Quite the tall one. His smile brightens up the crops and they grow to their full capacity. What a wondrous young man he is."

"Chanyeol...?" Kyungsoo liked the way the words fell from his lips. Every syllable, every letter, every sound made his heart race with delight. Inside his core, a plan formulated itself. Devious and dark it dwelled in his heart, his eyes burned with an unsettling colour as he set eyes on Chanyeol once again.

Days later he came back to the same field. The wheat grew up to his hips while the flowers danced gently with the wind. Trees as large as stone pillars created cool shadows for animals to lie their tired bodies down. The fields were surrounded by an endless sea of green, every colour in the spectrum played a role in creating such a beautiful sight. It made Kyungsoo dizzy as he walked through, so much light and colour blinded his darkend eyes. The sun’s heat made him nausea as well as the earthly scent coming from beneath his feet. One moment he was looking at the swaying of his feet and the next he was under the shade of a tree. Confused, he looked around noticing a figure approaching him through the tall grass.

“Oh, you’re awake.” Even his voice seeped life from it. Kyungsoo crinkled his eyebrows together, confused as to why someone like him would talk to someone like Kyungsoo.

“Yes…are you the one that brought me here?” Chanyeol nodded. His eyes closed shut and his mouth grinned. He placed down a basket of apples next to Kyungsoo.

“Yes! Are you okay? I don’t think it’s a good thing for a human to be here.” Chanyeol reached out to touch Kyungsoo’s forehead. The scent of lemons and fresh grown lavender hit Kyungsoo’s nose like a drug. It was addicting. Chanyeol reached out for Kyungsoo’s hand but he jerked back and moved away.

“If I touched you…you’d break.” He nervously looked down.

Chanyeol laughed, “I’m not fragile.” From the distance a servant called for Chanyeol to come by. Bidding the unknown stranger goodbye he turned his back and left in the distance. At that moment Kyungsoo made up his mind.

“I really want you.”

He decided to act on his devious plan, to ruin humanity and the nature of their land by taking away the God. He smiled to himself, who cared about pitiful humans anyways. If they die then that would mean he’d have more servants to burn in his tower.  Kyungsoo walked around his palace, heading towards the stable that held his beautiful midnight horses. Wrapped in satin white robes and a pitch black cape, he hopped on to his chariot and rode into the fields once more. The horses brought doom to the land, their hooves the life force from everything it touched. In the distant stood Chanyeol, doing his daily deeds and enjoying the sun with the plants he loved dearly. Quick as lightning Kyungsoo rode by and grabbed him in a rush. As he predicted, Chanyeol really did break.

Into a million pieces.

Flower petals swiftly flying in the air.

The sound of a heartbeat quickening.

The look of beautiful hazel eyes darkening under a never ending nightmare.

At that moment Kyungsoo regretted everything. The sweet blossoming love he had for someone he could never be with.

Breathing became so hard for a person who never left life’s right side. Someone so lovely and lively crumbled underneath death’s embrace. Kyungsoo was suffocating him. Kyungsoo was trapping him. Kyungsoo wanted everything from him, but Chanyeol couldn’t give him anything. Desperation was knocking on the door. Sadness was sending gifts to them. Pity was walking by, gazing at the two stuck in a broken cycle.

Lonely.

Kyungsoo felt so…lonely.