final.

Don't you like you?

A gift from me since I won't be updating my stories for a while because of exams. Hope you enjoy! WARNING: not edited


Screaming and squealing were heard as a boy got out from a car that parked outside the school. Mark Tuan. With a loose tie and his shirt untucked he walked along the hallway, students made way for him. Nobody dared to meet his eyes. Those menacing eyes, if it could kill, he would be the only one alive. Being the only son of the Tuan, he was practically untouchable. His father was a very rich man and fluential around the world with his company. He nodded his head to some of the boys that he saw and looked away. He was surprised with a figure jumping on his back causing him to tumble forward. 

Looking back glaring at the culprit but softened when he saw his group of friends behind him. The second youngest, Bambam posed with a peace sign as Yugyeom shook his head at Bambam. Mark fist bumped with Jinyoung and Jackson. He patted Jaebum's cheek in resulting him getting into a headlock by JB. Youngjae who ran after them was catching his breath, and fixed the straps of his bag. When the discipline teacher walked in front of them, Jackson quickly took off his snapback and hid it behind his back. They said greetings and bowed. With a warning from the teacher, Jackson nod and apologized. 

Mark hid behind Yugyeom so the teacher can't see his untucked uniform. Yugyeom looked at him weirdly but Mark just pushed Yugyeom's head facing in front. Jinyoung face-palmed and pulled him from behind, smacking his head with the book he was holding. With only a few minutes till class, they parted ways to their own locker to get their things. Mark's was quite far from the others so he bade them goodbye and informed that they would just meet in class. 

Put your make up on, get your nails done, curl your hair. Run the extra mile, keep it slim. So they like you. 

When he arrived to his locker, he heard a boy confessed to the girl that owns the locker next to him. The girl wore a thick layer of makeup and that hair, so fake even a doll was a tad original. Faking a smile at the poor boy and rejected him. Mark shook his head and ignored both of them. He opened his locker, letters and candies fell out of it. He sighed and gathered the letters and put them inside a bag. He tied the bag and made a reminder in his head to burn them later. It may sound bad, but it would be worst if he read the letters and not reply anything.

Glancing to his side he saw the girl resting her forehead against the locker. A regular thing for her every time someone confessed to her. Mark wondered why boys like to confess to her when she was by her locker. Don't they have other romantic place to confess? The school has a rooftop, a garden, a pond and also the library. Okay maybe a library is inappropriate but at least you'll have some privacy. Mark mentally cheered on for all the boys in the world so that they would have at least a decent confessing spot.

He took out his Chemistry and English Language book. He could feel girls whispering and looking at him. Some squealed when he side glanced them. He was sick of girls crowding him. He was a normal teen who wanted to learn at school and socialize with his friends. All the attention he received from the students was unnecessary. Everything was okay before he entered the school running team. He was one of the school hope runner to bring home a gold medal for each competition. He sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair. 

Was this the prize for excelling in something you're good at? Mark wanted to punch the locker badly, but he had received a detention once before. His locker was changed into a new one, and he also won't want to pay for the new locker again. He didn't inform his father about the incident as he was sure as hell that all his father was going to do was ignore him. Perhaps scold him and hit him with his belt for not acting like a rich son he was supposed to be. So yeah, maybe he did do a right thing.

Get your y on, don't be shy girl, take it off. This is what you want, to belong, so they like you.

He heard a bang and looked to his left. A couple was making out. It disgusted him to no end. The boy s the top 3 buttons, his other hand already inside the girl's skirt. Mark saw how the boy enters his fingers into her. Mark could hear her moans when the boy fastens his pace and when she screamed as she came. That's one thing about the girl, rumors said she never lets guy put their into her. He knew better than anyone else about the girl. He caught her eyes; those pleading eyes screaming for help but it vanish the moment she was kissed by the guy. 

The boy left after his fingers and without sparing even a glance at the girl he walked away. With a sigh Mark went over to the girl and gave her his handkerchief. The girl shook her head and rejected his offer. She got up and went over to his locker. She took out some books and flipped the pages. When she found what she was looking for she smiled. She took the key to God knows where, kissed Mark's cheek and left. Wiping his cheek with the handkerchief and re-arranged his locker. 

Mark looked into the mirror inside his locker. Tucking in his uniform and adjusting his tie, Mark chuckled bitterly to himself. He always managed to wake up late despite setting tons of alarms to wake him up. Every 5 minutes his alarm will go off but he won't hear it. But when he does, he'll snooze it. Clever much. With a speed of 10 minutes shower, he is left with 5 minutes to wear his uniform. After 20 minutes he was still wearing his uniform. Mark Tuan didn't know how to tie a tie. In result, his name was always written in the class late attendance almost every day. 

Get your shopping on, at the mall, max your credit cards. You don't have to choose, buy it all so they like you. Do they like you? 

Realizing that the girl who got confessed to before was still there he hummed and observed her. She was changing the decorations in her locker. She changed the cover and put a new mirror. Her locker was known for its different covers every week. Though Mark never admitted, she did have a great taste. It was never ugly, she didn't choose any bright colours. It was always soft like sky blue, peach and soft pink. Her locker was always cleaned and it had a fragrance that lingers for a long time. If she was perhaps a bit more herself, Mark would have appreciated it.

He reminisced the past Amy. She was a bright girl and never cared about who her friends were. She had a knack for turning up late to school and failing in Physics, which she still is. The freshman Amy would never wear make-up, hell yet she doesn’t even know what bb cream is used for. With only baby powder and lip balm, she rocked the natural face. She got bullied a lot for her slight chubby figure. But for Mark, it was healthy, being too skinny is unhealthy. But now, Amy had slimmed down and wore heavy make-up. She even ditched her sunglasses for contact lenses. 

Wait a second, why should you care, what they think of you. When you're all alone, by yourself, do you like you? 

His eyes widened slightly when Amy looked at him. She smiled.  It wasn't the smile that she gave to others, it wasn't fake. Her eyes shone and her lips curved upwards. Mark could see her cheekbones that only he was allowed to. It was a rare sight and he never saw her angelic smile given to others. Amy waved a little and walked away. Guys greeted her with chocolates, sweets and letters. She rejected them with a smile saying she couldn't accept their feelings.

Mark closed his locker and leaned against it. He hoped that she would stop wearing make up to school. He hoped she no longer does manicure because it looks like as if her fingers were too heavy to lift up. Was she comfortable with all the make up? Was she okay with all the rumors she got? That she wore make up to cover up the plastic surgery scars. Because Mark knew that she wasn't, he hoped so.


The bell rang, signaling it was recess. Mark told his friends that he wasn't hungry and he would be at the library. Jinyoung, his best friend told him not to get bombed by the fan girls and the group laughed. Mark chuckled and walked away. As he trudged down the hallways, he heard someone shouting. He followed the voice and was lead to the staircase. Mark thought it was just his imagination and was about to turn around when he heard another shout. He sighed and walked out the stairs. As he got nearer to the roof, a cry was heard, followed by the sound of glass shattering. 

You don't have to try so hard. You don't have to bend until you break. You just have to get up. You don't have to change a single thing.

When he arrived, what he saw was frightening. A guy was hovering over a girl. His hands covered with blood, by his side was a bottle, shattered bottle. Mark gasped when he recognized the pair, they were the one who make out at the lockers. The girl that lay under the guy turned her head and caught Mark's eyes. Fear, relief and hope were evident. She coughed blood. Mark swears he saw the girl muttering something. Help me.

He ran towards the guy and pushed him away. The guy was in trance and shivering in fear. Mark carried the girl and brought her towards the nursery room. Luckily there was a nurse present. The nurse called the ambulance and in no time it arrived. Mark wasn't allowed to follow since it was still school time. He glared at the nurse and ran his fingers through his hair. There weren't any students who witnessed the scene since they were at the canteen. 

Mark sighed and decided to skip school. He had a headache and it's bad for him. He called his chauffeur and waited by the gates. The school didn't mind if he skipped. He maintained his good grades and he was out of the eyes of the school. When his chauffeur arrived, he told him to go to the nearest hospital. It was a 10 minutes journey, he saw the ambulance that brought the girl and rushed inside. He asked the nurse at the reception counter where she was. Level 4, Diamond hall and the 9th room. 

Room 94, Patient Dian Tuan. 

Mark took a deep breath and held the doorknob. He twisted it and pushed it open.

"You're a , you don't deserve to be a Tuan. I didn't raise you up like this!" Mark heard his father said and he saw how his sister's hands were on her cheeks.

"You never raised me up! I was sent to China to live with your mistress the moment I was born. I was raised by your ing mistress. Guess what? That ing mistress's ing boyfriend ing me! Do you know how it felt to be touched when you were seven and to be told that it was normal?! I didn't even know I was a Tuan until I was 10. Then you ing sent me to a boarding school. Thought I was stupid huh? I was an honor student, I excel in studies and sports. But then you just had to take me. To be the heiress? ing no. Even now when I am at the edge of dying you still won't admit that I am your daughter. For you, I just inherited the family's name. What is so good about being a Tuan anyways?!" Dian shouted and Mark witnessed how his -their father slapped her. 

"You are no longer a Tuan." He hissed and walked away. "You'll be begging on my knees when I become successful father. But I won't accept you. And even when Mark grows up, he'll hate you. Everyone in this world will turn away from you." Dian smirked when she saw her father tensed. Mr. Tuan walked away and got out of the room.

"I know you're there Mark. Come out and give your pathetic sister a hug." Dian chuckled, a tear fell when she saw Mark come out from his hiding place.

Take your make up off, let your hair down, take a breath. Look into the mirror, at yourself. Don't you like you?

He was crying, his eyes red and his head hung low. He was biting his thumb, a sign he was calming down. He walked towards his sister and lay beside her. Dian wrapped her arms around him and his hair. She wiped his cheeks and smiled at him. Don't cry my brother, mother won't like it, she said. Mark hugged her tighter. Afraid that if he let go, she'll break to pieces. Can't you stop letting guys touch you, can't you stop hiding under your mask, can't you let me protect you? Mark wanted to say those words out loud but he knew her answers already. 

Mark rested his head on the pillow and faced his sister. She was asleep after comforting him. Her eyelids shut and her lips part a little. She had no makeup on and her hair down to her waist. He loved to braid her hair, it's a way for him to bond with his sister. He shuddered when he saw the scar near Dian's left eye. She told him that when she was 2, she had slipped and hit the bathtub's tap. Mark hummed a tune and began singing. Dian's eyelids fluttered open when he sang the last line of the song. 

Mark was talking to the doctor, Dian could go home tomorrow. She would most probably stay with their mom for a while. Mark excused himself so that he could go back to school. He left his bag and stuffs in his class. He kissed Dian's temple and left. By the time he arrived at school, it was the last period. He groaned and decided not to enter. He went to the back of the school, there was a pond. Mark went to the tree and climbed up. He leaned against the trunk and fished out his phone and headphones. He almost screamed when he saw Amy under him. She was wiping her face with a tissue and had lots of them.

"I wasted too much money for makeup." Amy groaned. "It's not like they care, they still ing judge although I tried for them. ing bastards."

Mark raised his eyebrows when Amy said that. He took off his headphones and let it hung on his neck. He could see Amy's bare face perfectly. There weren’t any scars, it was spotless. Her skin was free of any pimples and everything the rumors said. Mark wasn't so surprised, he had seen her bare face lots of times. He typed something in his phone and he heard a ding in Amy's pocket.

"Look -" Amy read and looked up, a gasped leaving her lips. "Up. Mark?"

Mark waved and jumped down, landed perfectly in front of Amy. He smirked and sat down beside her. He counted her tissues and shook his head. She went overboard today, why must she put so many layers on? Mark glared and flicked her forehead. Amy winced and rubbed the spot. She threw a tissue at him but the wind blew it away before it could land on his face.

"I thought I had told you yesterday not to wear it." Mark sighed.

He took a tissue, held her chin and wiped her face gently. He smiled when it was all done. Her skin looked like they could breathe now that all the annoying make up is gone. Mark looked into her eyes, desperation for attention. Mark knew Amy had a reason for doing whatever she did, but he cared and he didn't like a single thing she was doing.

"It's my face, I do what I want. They like it might as well continue."

With that Amy got up and leaves him alone. Mark ruffled his hair and sighed. He watched as Amy walked away from him again and again. She stomped over their friendship over and over again. She won't look behind to notice that there will always be someone that will be with her through her ups and downs. Why can't she just realise that he would stay with her even without the makeup. He regretted not being able to save her from the mean world and he will never forgive himself for not being able to protect her from the wrath of her monster. The monster that eats her up, the monster that didn't know the girl they attacked was broken to the point she had nothing to lose anymore. That she was all alone in this world and she couldn't cry help even if she was killing herself. 

If only he could turn back time, if only he was just in time to cover her ears. When everyone bullied her, he may be there to fight them, but at night when she was all alone to fight away the thoughts in her head, was he there? He failed to do so and now he bears the consequences of it. Helpless and useless of fighting over the pain. Mark groaned and covered his face by his palm. The what ifs fill Mark's mind. He couldn't do anything now, he was too late. Nothing can change the past and Amy won't ever be the same. Mark lost his childhood friend, but Amy didn't. If she ever wanted to go back to him, she was more than allowed to. 

Cause I like you.