Midsummer Night

Midsummer Night

She didn’t really want to.  But, there she was surrounded by almost strangers moving around her.  It wasn’t her kind of party and she wasn’t sure how she got in the dance floor.  Scanning her surroundings, she found the reason.  There, with a half- guy with honey abs was her best friend.  For fairness, the two have been seeing each other for months now, and he’s nice as well, ‘So, what the hell.’  Resigning, she started darting towards their direction to tell Tiffany she was going to grab a bite of something that was actually edible.

“Fany, I’m going for a while.”  ‘And in all possibility, I won’t be back.’  Jessica wanted to add but thought immediately of the repercussions it would bring to her.

“What?  But why?  This party’s just starting!”

“I’m craving for sundae.”  ‘And peace’

“You can have some later.”

“You mean tomorrow?”

“No… ugh, fine!  But you need to be back, understand?”

“Yes, yes.  I’ll see you guys soon.”  And with that, she wrenched herself away from the crowd and into the moonlit road.  Once there, she did not have to hurry anymore.  She decided to take her time and stroll around the county.  After fifteen minutes of sightseeing, her eyes finally fell upon the hub she spotted earlier when they were driving to the beach.  Excitedly, she skipped her way towards the door, but as she was about to open it, she found a hand already pushing it.

“After you, miss.”  She stared at the person beside her wide-eyed.  “Y- Yuri?”

***

“One chocolate chip and brownie sundae and one classic vanilla ice cream with whipped cream on top, enjoy!”  The two smiled at the waiter – though it was more because of the towering servings of ice cream in front of them – and then at each other before they started to dig in (so as to avert their line of sight).

They continued stuffing their faces with the creamy delight (which the author so wishes she could do right now as well), uncertain of what to do next.  Finally, the seemingly aloof Yuri broke the silence.  “Mmm~ this is sooo good!  Enjoying ice cream in the middle of a summer night with a dear friend you haven’t seen in a very long time; what more can one ask for?”

“I know!”  Jessica answered in a rather childlike tone.  She faked an ‘ehem’ and continued with what she wanted to say in her more mature tone.  “And yeah, it’s been too long since we last saw each other.  How’ve you been?”

“I’m doing well.  I’ve been away from here for four years but my mom made sure that I wouldn’t forget home so she made our stay there as Korean as possible.  How about you?”

“Same old, same old… go to school, go to America on breaks, but never another country though.  I wish I could’ve visited you in France.”

“Yeah~ I remember you’ve always wanted to go there.”

“Yeah, but my parents wouldn’t let me; ugh!  But, now that I’m done with college and I’m starting my job on Monday, I can finally save up for Paris!”

“Well, that’s something I’ve never seen before.  What happened with go-with-the-flow Sooyeon?”

“Oh, she’s still here.  My other persona just pops up when it comes to what I really want to do.”  Yuri nodded satisfactorily.  It was a side of Jessica she did not know back when they were in middle school up until high school.  For one, they were really not that close back then.  Second, Jessica was the quiet type that seemed to lighten up only with her closest friends.  So, what were they today?  What was this sudden meeting with its warmth and diminished awkwardness?

No one could tell.  It was just the way it was that moment; and so they continued their little reunion, trying hard not to make obvious the smiles that persisted on coming and brightening their faces.  It was a good way to see each other again for a long time.  But, as would eventually happen, it was to become better.

The bell that hung on top of the door in the ice cream parlor chimed and instinctively the people shifted their attention to the door.  In came a couple who, upon seeing the only blonde haired lady inside, rushed towards her.  The girl though, stopped on her tracks, and like her best friend, went wide-eyed when the blonde’s companion came in to view.  “Hi Fany!  Long time no see.”  The companion greeted with a smile and stood up to come closer.  But the gap between them got closed in when Tiffany jumped towards her to hug her.  “Yuri!!!  Oh my God, it’s really you!  Oh, I missed you so much!”  Despite Tiffany’s excitement though, she still never forgot (she has always been known for her presence of mind), “Oppa, this is our friend Kwon Yuri; the one who studied abroad for college,” Tiffany beamed.  “Yuri, this is Nichkhun oppa.”

“Hi Yuri-ssi, it’s nice to meet you.”

“Hello Nichkhun-ssi, it’s nice to meet you too.”

“So, Yuri, since you’re here, come join us to the party.  It’s gonna be fun!”

Jessica, knowing full well that Tiffany only came to the parlor to see if she has not gone home, butted in her protest to stay away for a little more time from the party.  “Whoa, Fany, we haven’t finished eating yet.  We’ll just go later, okay?  You and oppa can go ahead.”

“But, Yuri’s here, so she can be like your date.  Besides, there’s only a spoonful left so gobble it up and let’s get going!”

Jessica could not believe it.  ‘How can she just blurt things like that out?’  And just as it was about to be forgotten – because they somehow got into Jessica’s nerve – Tiffany’s words replayed in the former’s head and she suddenly remembered the question she was about to ask before Tiffany came barging in.  “Oh yeah, what are you doing here Yuri?”

The three eyed Yuri who was grinning.  “My friends asked me to go to the party with them.  Then I got bored so I ditched them for ice cream.”  She beamed and her explanation led the couple to look at Jessica.

“That’s so cool!  Now we can all really go back to the party, yay!”

“But, the ice cream…” and Tiffany along with Nichkhun grabbed the spoons and ate whatever was left on the two bowls.  “Done.  Let’s go.”

“But-

“Um, Sooyeon, I think I should get going too.  Sunny is bound to realize that I’m missing and once she tells Hyo and Soo, they’re gonna be looking for me and I kinda don’t want that to happen.”  Yuri said politely, hoping that her explanation would help in convincing Jessica to go back to the party with them.  And it did.

***

“Yuri!  There you are!  You snuck out on us again!  I swear the next party we’re going to, I’m gonna put a leash on you.”  A tall lady loudly approached Yuri whose companions were right behind her.  Still, the tall one did not seem to pay much attention to them and kept yelling at (and embarrassing) Yuri.

“Woah, hang in there Soo, I’ve been here with my childhood friends all along.  Turns out they know someone who knows the one who threw this party too.  It’s been a long time since I saw them so I hung out with them, okay?  So, just relax.  I was here the whole time.”  Yuri brought Jessica and Tiffany beside her to make her point and also to introduce them.

“Really?  Is that- is that true Yuri’s friends?”  The clearly tipsy Sooyoung eyed the three people behind Yuri and that made them hesitate to answer.  It was Khun, who had the least attachment between the different parties who agreed.  “Oh~ well then, that’s good to know.  By the way, my sister’s looking for you.”  Yuri gulped discretely, “Um, yeah, but let me introduce you to my friends first.  Where’s Sunny and Hyo?”

“Right here.  Oh, and Yuri who has been here all the time, a staff from the ice cream parlor called and told me you left your phone there.  But, don’t worry, someone’s on their way to this party so…” a cute lady with ponytail emerged from behind the tall Sooyoung followed by another small lady with dark blonde hair holding a cut of cheese in the attempt of luring Sooyoung.

“Wait, what?  You lied to me!”  Sooyoung, who was busy trying to snatch the cheese from Hyoyeon, yelled and was about to latch on Yuri but Sunny quickly pulled on her arm.  “Okay, quit it.  You know Yuri…” and Sunny tilted her head slowly so Sooyoung would follow with her eyes.  “Fine.”

“Soo, guys, I’m sorry.  I was getting suffocated and then hungry so I decided to go for something sweet.”

“Hey, hey, it’s fine.  At least you came back this time.”  Hyoyeon announced then turned to the people now beside Yuri, “I mean, in all the parties we went to, this can actually be the first one she would see over.”

“Right” seconded David and Goliath.  Tiffany, who was so amused at the dissing Yuri was receiving, chuckled and could not help but to share a story of her own.  “You know, Yuri’s not the only one.  Our friend here, Jessica, can also be experiencing that same first time.”  And their little flock burst out to laughter while the one object of their merriment glared at them one at a time and the other felt wary of the fuming ice.

“Uh, guys, I think you might wanna settle down from laughing… and standing.”  Yuri suggested while still eyeing Jessica who was still glaring at the others.  The laughter died away immediately and they all hurriedly busied themselves with finding seats.  Once they were in position – and the awkwardness gone because of the earlier encounter – they did not find it hard to get along with one another.

***

The party was at its prime – everyone was dancing, drinking, making out… basically having a blast – but someone just had to be pissed.  Unluckily, it was the hostess and so just like the snapping of fingers, the party was over and everyone started to leave to continue whatever it was they were happily doing somewhere else.

The same could be said to our little circle except they had to continue grunting while dragging two drunks.  You see, somehow, at some point during their bonding, a drinking competition came up.  As always, Sunny and Hyoyeon urged on for the sake of their enjoyment, and Nichkhun, helpless against five women, could only sigh as he procured a barrel (yes, a barrel).  And so the competition went underway.  After a few rounds, two people were getting tipsy.  A few more rounds and they were shouting and acting crazily.  The others who were only yet tipsy tried to control the two and put an end to the silly contest where the two clearly hogged the barrel.  But they shouted their protests and flung their arms here and there to create a scene, catch attention, and in the end, for the others to give in.  Unfortunately for them, those would not happen.

Stomping her feet, Sooyoung’s older sister approached the group, dropped only two words and the earlier-merry-contest was put to an end.  “Home.  Now.”  Sunny, Hyoyeon and Yuri stood up straight and answered yes all at the same time.  When their unnie has walked off, they immediately turned to Sooyoung who’s head was bobbing and they pulled her up.  They were in for a surprise though… especially Yuri.

“I don’t wanna go yet!”  Shouting her protest again, Sooyoung stood on her own to forcefully fling the arms that were seizing her.  The hands went back to their owners’ sides but Sooyoung’s one hand did not.  Instead, it landed on the side of the face right next to Yuri's eye.

“Ow!”  She clutched the throbbing side at once and bowed her head out of reflex.

“Oh my God!  Yuri, are you okay?”  Jessica immediately grabbed hold of Yuri as she tried to examine the part of Yuri’s face she was tending to.

“Now look at what you did!”  Sunny announced, her voice less angry than she really was.  Her tall friend did not hear her though, for she was preoccupied with trying to balance herself in her rotating world.  “We should really get her home.”  Hyoyeon, who was supporting Sooyoung, said to Sunny.  Yuri heard her words and she struggled to stand up straight.  “I’ll help you guys.”

“Oh no, you need to get that checked.  Though, we can’t really do both things, it’s gonna take too much time and both have to be done right now.”  Hyoyeon said in a disappointed tone all the while eyeing Jessica, Tiffany and Khun.  Amazingly, the presence of mind of Hwang Tiffany was still in work even though she was quite drunk and she nudged at her oppa who knew more than he looked.  “I can take care of Fany by myself.”  He told out loud then shifted his gaze to Jessica, “Sica, I think you should help Yuri.  I promise I’ll get Fany home safe.”

Before Jessica could utter a word, Sunny interjected quickly, “Jessica, please, if you would just accompany Yuri to get her injury checked.”

“Um, why is everybody making such a big deal about this?  I’m fine.  I just need an ice pack to ease the swelling.”  Yuri retorted.

“Jessica will help you procure an ice pack then.  Okay, since everything’s settled, let’s move out team!”  And the five people started walking ahead without looking back at their two friends who were so bewildered with what was happening that all they could say was ‘Yah!’

***

Having been given no other choice, Jessica and Yuri found themselves walking side by side while looking for a place to get an ice pack.  All the while, Jessica took wary glances at Yuri to see if she really was okay like she said.  She was continuing to prove herself right.

Feeling Jessica’s glance, Yuri abruptly halted making Jessica stop on her tracks as well.  They turned to face each other; one confused and the other coolly indignant.  “Sica, I’m fine, really.  I just said that I needed that ice pack in the hopes of hastening the process of us going home.  It’s nothing, really.  It just hurt for a while then it subsided quickly.”

“Are you sure?”  Jessica asked again, unaware that she had dashed forward and her hand.  Only when she saw her hand approaching Yuri’s face from her peripheral view did she realize the situation.  She withdrew her hand but Yuri, half wanting to prove herself and half wanting something else, caught it and placed it on the ‘injured’ part.  “There, see?  It’s perfectly fine!” she said gleefully.

“Well, if you say so… but, let’s still get that ice pack, just to be sure.  Although, where do we get one?”  Jessica wondered out loud and intently that she was oblivious to what happened to her companion.  Walking closely together, Yuri was too consumed with watching her friend to pay attention to where she was putting her feet on.  The left one landed on a can of beer and feeling a weird sensation under her foot, she bent low to pick up the material; a thought crossed her mind instantly.  “I know where!”  She beamed at Jessica and pointed to the building across the road.

***

“So, where were we before the politely rude interruption?”  Sitting next to each other, Yuri decided not to waste time anymore for fear of having another abrupt end to their get-together.

“Mmm~ Paris” Jessica answered while opening her can of beer.

“Right.  Just tell me when you plan on going, I’ll gladly show you around.”

“Speaking of which, when’ll you be back there?  Your work is there, right?”

“Yep.  As for going back, it still depends on when I finish what I need to do here.”  IF I can finish it- Yuri wanted to add but thought better of it.  Jessica has already caught her though.

“What is it?”

“What is what?”  Yuri furrowed her brows.

“You’re holding something back.  I saw you part your lips.  What is it?  Tell me~”

Yuri froze at the sudden display of aegyo.  ‘What on earth is happening?’

Jessica, of course, was not aware and continued staring at Yuri whose face was turning red.  ‘Good thing we’re drinking.’  Yuri gratefully thought.  With that in mind, she braced herself and spoke.  “I’m not very sure if I can get results from what I set out here to do.”

“Why not?”

“You see, it depends on the particular person I’m seeking if I can get what I want.  And even if I do get what I want, I’m not sure if I can go back anytime soon.”  Yuri smiled weakly then nervously took a sip of her beer.

“Oh~ I see what you mean.”  Jessica replied wearing a confident smile.  “Kwon Yuri, you’ve grown up!  Who would’ve thought that KkabYul would ever think about this kind of thing?”  Jessica shook her head pretending to be in disbelief.  “Oh wait, I shouldn’t call you like that anymore.  Mmm~ from now on, you’re Kwon Seobang!”  She beamed at Yuri.

“Why Seobang?”  Yuri raised an eyebrow which Jessica ignored.

“Well, you look so like a hubby.  And besides, you liked a girl in our school back then, remember?”  Jessica explained in a rather excited manner.

“I remember clearly… but I’ll have you know that I liked boys too.”  Yuri retorted.

“Yeah right~”

“Want me to prove it?”  Jessica nodded and Yuri produced her phone.  She browsed for a while then handed Jessica her phone.  “See?  You’re not the only one who had a boyfriend.”  Yuri said before snatching her phone back – and before she realized what a big mistake she just made.  The two fell silent then and they decided it was time to take a sip again.

***

“You still seeing him?”  Jessica eyed Yuri in an ‘isn’t-it-obvious?’ way and the latter could only sigh as a sorry.

“It’s fine.  It wasn’t a bad breakup after all.”  Jessica said before taking another small sip of the quickly warming beer.  “What about you?  Had any Parisian romance?”

“Well, there was this one guy – the one in the picture – but he was a cheat so I left him.  Can’t blame that good-looking, smooth-talking SOB though; I wasn’t really into the relationship.  I just thought that, ‘Hey, everybody wants him, but he’s got his sights on me,’ so I figured, why not?”

“Ooh~ foxy… much too foxy, Yuri.”

“Yeah, well, it kept me from being bored; for a month, at least.  Then he grew bored and found a way to amuse himself.  I don’t know why he decided to cheat so as to end our relationship.  He could’ve just broken up with me and I would have accepted with no questions asked.”

“Maybe you should’ve broken up with him.”  Jessica interrupted.  Yuri shook her head rather vigorously.  “No, no, I couldn’t have done that.”

“And why’s that?”

“Because I know that I’m really the bad person.  I felt it fair for him to pay me back, you know?”  Seeing her companion struggle with comprehending her own feelings vis-à-vis Yuri’s, she decided to just drop the entirety of the matter.  “Anyway, our relationship ended and I didn’t feel like getting into another one.  But then I met her…” she said with a voice filled with longing.  Jessica noted that and measured Yuri and herself before responding, a thing she ended up not doing.  Not a sound could be heard for the next few moments save the sound of waves crashing into the shore.

It was dawn and it was chilly but the two barely noticed those things for they were immersed into thinking specifically different things that nonetheless were connected to each other.  Then,

“Why’d you breakup?”

Yuri fell quiet for a while.  She knew what she had to say, but somehow the words got stuck in .  This made her doubt which passed to becoming uneasy especially since she felt she was not alone even though she was swimming in her private thoughts.  Anxiously, she eyed her bubble’s intruder… and just like that, just a glance and her resolve was reformed.

“Cos I didn’t see myself sharing my whole life with her.  When I envisioned it, I didn’t feel that fluttering in my chest which I felt during the first time.”

“Well, the first time will always have that.  Maybe you just got used to the thought and so the feeling diminished.”

“Got used to what?”

“To imagining you and her together forever.”

“But, I only did that once…”

“But, you said you’ve done it before.”

“Yeah, but it wasn’t her in my imagination.”  Yuri said straight, her eyes fixed on Jessica’s.

“Oh,” was all Jessica could say.  She did not know why, but Yuri’s revelation made her heart skip a beat then thump heavily.  Something inside her told her it was not the French smooth talker who Yuri was imagining then as well.  That same something was also jumping up and down trying to break out and influence her.  She struggled to keep it at bay.  But her face kept on disobeying her with her cheeks flushing red and lips forming an idiotic smile.

Beside her, Yuri, who was blaming the alcohol for her sudden bursts, wanted to run away from Jessica.  But, this was the only way for her to get results.  Gathering up her strength, she took a deep breath and let the alcohol work its magical excuse.

“Sooyeon ah,” Yuri called out softly.  Jessica felt stunned, her eyes widened.  “Did you know that I’ve always had a crush on you?”

“Eum”

***

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

***

Yuri walked Jessica to their rented house.  They fingers were laced with each other and they strode slowly, enjoying the early morning serenity.  “There,” Jessica pointed to a lodge with a house which was divided into two.  Yuri recognized Nichkhun’s car which was parked in front and they darted towards it.

Jessica opened the fence-gate with her free hand and dragged Yuri inside up to the porch where Yuri had to let go of Jessica’s hand so she can properly unlock the front door.  She heard a click and all at once, she had the urge of pulling Jessica towards her.  Instead, she heaved a sigh (of regret over letting go of Jessica’s hand) and stretched her hands to let out some of the adrenaline building up inside.  Her sound, of course, made Jessica turn back to her.  “You’re not gonna come in?”

Yuri shook her head for she did not want to say she could not do what she wanted the most that moment.  She gave an explanation instead, “I gotta go home to let them know I haven’t ditched them.  Besides, I can’t be bothering you further, Sleeping Beauty.”  Yuri grinned and it earned her a slap on the arm.

“You should go in and rest.  I’ll pick you up at seven tonight.”  Yuri said, inching closer.  She gave Jessica a chaste kiss on the cheek.  But Jessica caught her face and planted a long one on her lips.  Yuri smiled widely though she could not help but furrow her brows in slight confusion.  Jessica only hugged her, resting her chin on Yuri’s shoulder giving her the opportunity to send shots of warning glares to the girls across their house who have been eyeing them (particularly Yuri, who, I forgot to mention, was wearing denim shorts and an off-shoulder hanging shirt that revealed some good stuff) since they came into view.