Enthralled Slumber

Sing With Me

Eunjung P.O.V

I looked at the school clock on the wall and read, 11 o’clock; it was almost time for lunch. It’s amazing how time can fly by when day dreaming of Hongki, but then remembering those two quarrelling at each other, -that is Hongki and Hyomin, gives me cold tremors down my spine as I feel a painful jolt pinning my heart. “Did I do something wrong?” I thought harshly to myself, “if only I didn’t come between those two…”

“It’s not what you think, Noona. Let me explain-” Hongki’s voice replayed in my mind, “no you know what… It doesn’t matter anymore…” The scene ofHyomin sighing and trying to not cry again, as she pulls out an old photo and throws it to the ground, and storming out the door, projects in my mind again. The prospect rewinds over and over again.  

“It’s not what you think, Noona. Let me explain-” Hongki’s voice trembled in my ears, causing my body to shudder. “Not what you think? So does that mean he doesn’t like me in that way?” I looked down at my desk, and tears started to form. “Will I be labeled foolish and stupid for thinking we actually had a chance?” I sighed. “No… I was the first to interfere, and I shouldn’t have bothered those two…”  I told myself, feeling a tad guilty and overwhelmingly sad at the same time.

A loud slam on my desk alarmed me, “where is he?” Yeon Hee’s voice cracked.
“What do you mean?” I furrowed my eyebrows.
Ring. The school bell rung, alerting us our lunch time has come.
“Are you going to see him?” Yeon Hee smiled, “can I come with you?” she pleaded. This was the first time I ever seen her act this friendly in front of me.
“See who?” I was still confused.
She sighed heavily and tried to calm herself, “you know who… Hongki…” she whispered closely to my face and grinned slyly.
“He is busy,” I averted my eyes and tried to hold in my tears from yesterday’s reminisces.
“Don’t lie,” she gritted her teeth. “Sorry about yesterday-”
“Let’s just not bring it up…” I cut her off.
She drew another fake smile on her face, “Oh! okay well, since we are good friends now, you promise to let me meet him okay?” she winked at me and gave me a hug before she left the room.
“Friends?” I chuckled, “since when were you my friend?” I raised my eyebrow and packed up my belongings before heading out the door.

I went straight to the music room instead of the cafeteria. I entered the empty room and sat myself on the chair. I sighed in relief, “glad there’s no class here..”
“Ah, Eunjung,” a familiar voice cut me off.
“Oh! Annyeonghasaeyo, Sunbae,” I bowed my head to my music teacher.
“You’re not having lunch?” He asks me.
“No, I don’t feel like it…” I took the guitar next to me and held it in my hands.
“Is there something wrong, Eunjung?” he grabs a chair and sits next to me.
“Nothing, really,” I lied and started strumming soft melodies on the guitar.
“You know you can tell me anything, right?” he ruffles my hair. He was right, I always told him everything and there was no doubt that he would make me feel better, but I wasn’t so sure this time if I would be able to share my feelings.
“How are you doing?” I tried to change the focus off of me.
“I’m doing well, but are you doing okay?” he beams a handsome smile at me. His eyes glowing with worry. He flicks his brown hair out of his face and wraps one arm around my shoulder, “we’ve been good friends for a while, and you can always trust me. I promised your mother,-who was my best friend, that I will make sure you stay happy in school,” he reminded me.
“Yeah, yeah, I know,” I smiled, and my heart was at ease to know he was a good mentor and had my back at all times, when my parents couldn’t.

“So, what are you working on this time?” he gave up on trying to get me to spit out the truth.
“My new song I suppose…” I grabbed out the music sheet and handed it over to him.
“Ahh, do you mind playing it to me?” he requested.
I blushed and shook my head.
“C’mon, why not?” he pleaded.
I yielded into his charming smile and surrendered, “fine…”

I strummed the sweet medleys of the chords and tapped my feet on the ground to the beat of my song. My left four gentle fingers plucked the higher chords while my right fingers strummed against the lower chords.

“If my love for you gets any deeper

It will only result in getting hurt

 My fears are filling my mind

 This is the truth

Praying with all my heart, the person I’m yearning for

 I believe that person is you

Woo… I’m in love

 Woo… I’ll fall in love

 Never feel any more fear

 As long as I’m with you

 The world is so beautiful

I thought I’m never gonna fall in love

 But I’m in love, cause I wanna love you baby

Actually from the first time I met you

 Somewhere deep in my heart

 You crashed in like a strong wave

 You’re the only thing in my mind all day

 I can be your good lover

 Wanna be your four-leafed clover

 It feels like I’ve become the happiest woman in the world.”

 

Thoughts of Hongki ran through my mind like a never-ending reverie, sudden tears trickled down my cheeks, and made me realize how much I had fallen for him…
“So, it’s about a boy you like?” He grabbed a tissue and wiped away my tears.
I shook my head in refusal, “no,” I lied to him.
“You know your reddened expression can’t fool anyone,” he chuckles and embraces me in his arms. “What’s his name?” he was dying to know.
“You won’t believe me if I told you…” I answered bluntly.

“Try me,” he insisted.
“Hongki,” I mumbled.

He grabs out his phone and showed me a picture from an article that read, ‘Hongki’s lover?’
“I thought this girl looked familiar,” he pointed at the picture of us in the restaurant.
“How did-” I covered my mouth as an epiphany occurred, “Yeon Hee!” I growled.
“This is Yeon Hee?” He furrowed his eyebrows and looked at the picture again, “It doesn’t look like her… I mean the hair and facial features are-”
I ran out the door before saying goodbye.
“Yah! Eunjung, where are you going?” I can hear his faint calls but I didn’t bother to turn around.

I ran out the door to get some fresh air outside. I clenched my hands into a fist and shouted, “AHHH!” trying to emit the anger and sadness I bottled up inside of me for years, but it didn’t help, I could still feel the anger stimulating even more inside of me. Love was one thing I always yearned for, but why is it that I only receive hurt and agony? I screamed once more, “UGGHHHH!”

I couldn’t control my mind and my body just wanted to move. Run away to a place I could just collapse and fall asleep securely forever. Living life in a dream, where everything was perfect and no one would interfere.

 I dashed down the sidewalk and shut my eyes, as tears ran down my cheeks. Not bothering to open my eyes and only to continuing to run, and run. I didn’t care which direction I was heading, I just wished all of this anger would escape my swelled up heart.

A loud thud rang my ears and a sharp pain penetrated my ribs. “what?” I opened my eyes but everything became blurry, the only thing my eyes made out were visions of red and gore. I felt myself falling down on the ground and my skull clashing the hard pavement ground. Darkness blinded my eyes as I felt numbness engulfing my body. My eyelids shut heavily and I couldn’t see anymore. The ringing in my ears grew quieter and everything else became inaudible.

Narrative P.O.V

Eunjung’s last tear crawled down her cheek and she soon fell into an enthralled slumber. Just like she had wished for; a life within her surreal dream where everything was seamless and no one would interfere.

Her body laid motionless and gentle breaths became shorter and shorter till suffocation took over.  The position of her body postured in ways a normal human cannot bend. Blood soaked all over her body which contrasted against her pale cold skin.

“Oh my god!” Hyomin came out of her car and approached Eunjung in front of her. “Ahhh!” Hyomin squirmed at the sight of Eunjung’s soon to be dead body. Tears of worry flooded Hyomin’s eyes, realizing the accident she had caused, as she shook Eunjung’s shoulder, “someone please help!” she bellowed.