Their Last

Not Yet

 

They were the type of people to let it drag on. Prolong whatever it was between them, no matter how much it hurts, no matter how hard it’ll be to keep holding on because it seemed much more painful, much more difficult to let go. They would never want it to end.

But does anything last forever in this world? Nothing is permanent. More than anything, change is in control and somehow, this thought makes him feel hopeful and hopeless.  Whatever was ahead is unclear and he doesn’t know if he’s filled with anticipation or dread. With a resigned sigh, he pushes himself off the bed and gets ready.

Eyes hiding behind dark sunglasses, covering himself in simple attire and blending in as much as he can. He told no one, nobody knows. At least, he hoped so. It’s his week off, finished with all his scenes, they don’t need him on the set and anyway; nobody would expect him back in Seoul.

All he had were overnight clothes packed in an old rucksack, he wouldn’t stay for long. The plane ride over seemed too fast or maybe too long, he wasn’t so sure. It didn’t matter. His feet touched the familiar grounds of the airport, followed the same routines he’d done before, his hooded figure disguised from anyone who would recognise him. He hails a cab and hands a piece of paper with the address.

He had but two years of experience in the public eye while she had eight. She’s smart, knew all the tricks in the book and together, they shared the best kept secret in the company.

The car stops and he gets out, taking uncertain steps towards the building. It was hidden from the busy streets, away from all their worries, it was safe. The girl at the desk hands him the keys as if she’d been expecting him but as soon as she points him towards the lifts, she turns a blind eye and examines her nails as if he was never there. Everything was the same except for the final look of pity she’d thrown in his direction and all he could do was bow respectfully and give his thanks.

It was always a different room, because it lessened her worry but this time he found himself in front of a door still fresh from his memories. The first time. He wouldn’t mention anything because she’d just deny being so cliché but now he smiles; twitching his lips in the slightest but real nonetheless. His fingers turn the key and his hand grasps the handle, careful as ever, steps inside.

With the door locked behind him, he could finally breathe but it wasn’t long until arms circled his waist, his nose filled with the scent so familiar it had become part of him, his own arms embraced what he’d been missing these past few months.

It must have been minutes passing by in each other’s arms and there they stayed, doing what they did best, letting it drag on for as long as they could. For as long as it stopped being painful and became unbearable.

"Sorry for making you wait."

She shook her head in response, nuzzling back into his warmth and lets go of the breath she didn't know she'd been holding. A sigh of relief? Exhaustion? Both?

They seperate only a mere gap between them, it feels empty though the sight in front of him made up for that fact. Fresh faced, no make up, her hair a mess but still she looked like her; beautiful, he thought. His eyes on hers, arms lingering around her waist, afraid to let go; not yet.

"Sorry."

"Stop saying that," her tone was stern but her gaze soft. She stepped back to give him some space; it was almost uncomfortable to be out of each other's reach though just as heartbreaking to be in the same room.

He placed his things down, following in her foot steps. The room was small and were almost identical with all the other rooms in this building. The blank whitewashed walls were hardly romantic but they made it so just with their memories.

The first time she cooked for him the egg had ended up on the ceiling. They had Wayla; the nice receptionist bring them their takeout orders and she'd done so ever since. Another time they rented out a movie and watched with the lights closed, the closest they'd ever get to a real movie date was inside those walls. In the end it hardly mattered as they paid little attention on the screen and more so in a heated kiss.

Sometimes the secrecy hurts; suffocating, trapped and imprisoned. But here they had each other, there was only each other. The small fights, the big fights, the make ups and the make outs. It was all here.

He'd taken that moment to look around one last time, carefully filing it in his memories until his gaze lands on hers; because now she would be all he'd see.

"I miss you."

"I miss you too,"  she says meekly, smiles weakly and stares back at him.

"Are you busy today?"

They walk to the bedroom, a bottle of wine, two glasses and a small card on the bedside table. "Complimentary wine to our best customers," she reads it with a smile before answering him, "I'm free tonight but I have schedule for a variety show tomorrow morning."

"Ah, Jessica&Krystal right?" His eyes twinkle with delight, watching her cheeks tint with pink and a frown on her forehead. "I've been keeping up with you. Are you having fun?"

She nods with a pout and her eyes soften, "Are you?"

He ignores her question and sits down on the bed, leaning back on his hands, "Stay with Soojung. Even after the show finishes, spend more time with your sister if you are ever alone. She makes you happy."

"Yifan-ah."

"I'm sorry I can't be there."

"I told you to stop saying that; it's getting annoying," she stomps over, glaring down at him with arms crossed upon her chest. "What do you have to say sorry for, huh? You did nothing wrong to me."

"I'm sorry," he tries again, desperation in his eyes that takes her by surprise. He pulls her by the waist and closer to him. "I'm really sorry. So sorry that I can't say it enough but I'm going to anyway. I'm sorry. For letting this happen. For hurting you. For being selfish."

“Yifan,” her hands glide up to take his face in her palms, her thumb brushing over his cheeks and her eyes drinking it all in; attempting to remember everything from the look in his eyes, the heat of his skin to the way he made her feel,  all the bad and all the good. "I'm not mad," she spoke softly, as if afraid of her own voice.

"I'm proud of your courage; the things you've accomplished in such a short space of time. I envy your bravery; standing up to them and taking control of your own life. I'm worried of all the obstacles in your path, all the pain your going through but I know you can get through it and live to tell the tale. I'm scared. Because I'm not as courageous or brave or strong like you. I'm scared because I can't be by your side." 

He looks up and wipes the tears staining her cheeks, "Do you know how hard it was for me to say hello to you when we first met?"

A smile. It was the least he could do; to have her forget. Even for that moment, it wasn't so painful to smile.

"That's why I can't bear to say goodbye."

It wasn't so clear if he pulled her in closer or if it was her who leaned down or maybe a bit of both, meeting in the middle to have what they both wanted. The taste ever so familiar but just as electrifying as the first and many others they shared. They'd be selfish just one more time, one more night, one more kiss.

When morning comes, it would be their last. They'd walk to the door hand in hand, reluctantly letting go the moment they step out of their sanctuary. They'd reach the lifts; she'd take the right and he'd take the left. She'd feel like she can't breath, fighting back the tears, battling long and hard with herself before she presses the button to go down. He has it easy, the tears falling freely because he presses the button going up.

Wayla would be at the reception desk, Sooyeon handing her the keys and she'd smile in gratitude. Soojung would be outside in her new car, shoulder ready for her sister to cry on, her arms embracing the older in her arms because that was all she could offer. They'd ride away. Away from the memories. Away from the old run down hotel. Away from him.

They'd ride away as he watches from the rooftop, gripping the straps of his backpack. He'd get back to the airport and back to that hotel room in Prague and nobody would even know he left. He'd insist on going back to filming, surround himself with other people because he doesn't want to be alone. Because alone he'd start thinking of her yet again. He'd find a video of her show, he'd watch it and smile seeing her happiness even if it were just on the screen.

She'd be pursuing her dreams, her career and her whole life as golden as ever. He'd be just the same, living the life the way he wanted it, working towards his dreams. She'd watch his movie and his future, he'd be happy as long as she was happy; from a distance they'd keep on suporting and it would be fine. They'd find their happiness again eventually. 

But now, in that room with whitewashed walls. The sheets a crumpled mess, warmth enveloping them, their bodies as close as ever. They'd stay. Not forever. But not yet.

 


 

A/N; I love this song okay, sorry for bombarding you with sweet sweet music but it fits with the story well so yep