Technology

Beside You

Chaerin’s life was controlled by technology when Jiyong was away. Her phone laid on vibrate on the table next to her, her laptop opened slightly but not hibernated in the place that Jiyong usually occupied. All were ready for nights like tonight.

The beeping of her computer pulled her from her dream and she opened the lid, squinting at the brightness and pawing to answer the skype call. “Hey Kitten.” Jiyong’s voice was soft, and his smile was so wide it caused crinkles in the corners of his eyes.

“Hi.” Chaerin whispered back, laying against her pillow and smiling sleepily at the screen. “I missed you.” She purred.

“I miss you too. You’re so cute like that. Kinda y too.” Jiyong mused.

“Oh shut up.” Chaerin buried her face in her pillow for a second, sleepy and embarrassed. “How’s France?” She asked, looking back at the screen.

“Better when you’re here.” Jiyong shrugged and leaned toward the screen, smiling softly at the camera. “I don’t have much time tonight but I promised I’d call. How’s Jae doing?” He asked and stretched back in his chair.

Chaerin shifted and yawned, now propping herself up on her elbow. “He’s okay. A little ornery, he misses you. He keeps asking when you’re gonna be home.”

“Not soon enough.” Jiyong pouted and rested his chin on his palm.

“You have things to do, It’s okay, we’re surviving with out you. You gotta be making the bacon and all that right?” Chaerin smiled and tried to be reassuring. “Anyway, I have a doctor appointment tomorrow. Do you want me to call you when it’s done?”

“Yeah, Is everything alight? Should I be worried?” Jiyong’s tone was filled with concern as he leaned toward the screen, eyes searching the image of Chaerin for any sort of ailment.

“I’m fine.” Chaerin laughed a little and ran her fingers through her hair. “Trust me it’s nothing to be worried about. I can call you when I’m done okay, as soon as I’m done.” She promised before her head turned to the side at the familiar sound of her son calling for her. With a small groan she dropped her head back into the pillow. “Mommy duty.” She said before smiling at the screen. “I love you. I’ll talk to you tomorrow okay?”

“I love you too.” Jiyong smiled, “Give him some extra kisses from me okay? And call me tomorrow, I don’t care what time.”

Chaerin nodded and leaned toward the computer, feigning a kiss at the camera. “I will, good night baby.” She added before ending the call and getting up to take care of Jae.

The next day, her level of excitement was at its full peak as she sent a text to Jiyong asking for him to turn on Skype when he could.  His response was quick, and Chaerin pulled their son into her lap at the kitchen table, opening her laptop and waiting for Jiyong to join them on the other end of the screen.

“Daddy!” Jae-seung’s voice was the first to be heard once his father’s face appeared in its pixilated glory.

“Hey little man!” Jiyong yelled back, smiling and waving wildly. “I miss you! You being good for mommy?” He asked tilting his head to the side and watching his son nod enthusiastically back. “How did everything go today kitten? Everything alright?”

Chaerin smiled and nodded. “Yep, everything’s fine, we had a big day today didn’t we Jae?” She asked looking down and running her fingers through the young boy’s hair as he leaned back against her.

“Uh-huh.” Jae’s voice wasn’t nearly as loud now as he looked up at his mother and then back at the screen.

“A big day? What’d you do then Jae?”  Jiyong’s voice was sweet and Chaerin let out a happy little loving sigh.

“Went to the doctor…” Jae said with a shrug.

“And what did you learn at the doctor?” Chaerin asked, coaxing Jae just a little. She smiled encouragingly as he looked up at her and shrugged. “Did you learn something really cool today? About mommy?” She asked again and watched recognition pass over Jae’s face before he suddenly leaned forward to the computer.

“Oh yeah! I get to be a big brother!” He said excitedly to the screen. Chaerin tried hard to pay attention to Jiyong’s reaction.

“A big brother?” Jiyong repeated, looking at his son before it finally clicked and his head shot up to meet Chaerin’s eyes through the screen. “A… A big brother!” He said again, voice high pitched and excited. “Chae!”

Chaerin was a giggling mess, her smile just as wide as her husband's through the screen.  “I told you everything was alright, are you alright?” She asked.

“Not at all! I’m in France! How can I be alright, are you serious? You’re certain?” Jiyong asked, leaning forward as much as he could.

Chaerin nodded and pulled their son closer into her lap, wrapping her arms around his stomach. “I’m positive.” She confirmed and smiled widely again. “Seriously though, are you alright?” She asked, tone softening slightly.

“I think my heart is going to explode out of my chest, and I wish I were there kitten. I wish I were there right now.” Jiyong sighed and shook his head before looking at Jae. “Are you excited little man?” He asked.

“Uh-huh!” The youngster responded, wiggling in his mother’s arms. “I’m gonna have a Robin.” He confirmed.

“A Robin?” Jiyong asked, confused and looking to Chaerin for clarification.

“To his Batman, little buddy is gonna have a side kick is what I think he’s getting at. Isn’t that right Jae?” She asked before letting her son slide from her lap.

“Yep! And I’m gonna be Batman!” The boy yelled before running off to grab his toys, much to the amusement of Jiyong.

“Bye then Tiny Batman!” Jiyong called with a little laugh.  “Chae… this is awesome.” He said returning his attention to his wife again. “I just…I wish I were there, I wish I were beside you right now.” He pouted, and watched as Chaerin leaned closer to the screen.

“It’s okay Jingyo, you’ll be home soon, right? Couple more weeks and then you’ll be back. Anyway, we’ve still got eight months before you get to meet the little peanut so…” Chaerin shrugged, trying to put Jiyong’s longing to rest. “I miss you too though, that bed is so huge without you.” She pouted a little back at him before sighing and looking at the clock. “You have to get to bed don’t you?”  She asked, disappointment laced in her words.

“I’m not going to be able to now.” Jiyong laughed and looked at the clock in his hotel room. “But I should probably try.” With a groan he pulled his fingers down his face and sighed.

Chaerin’s voice was soft and soothing as she settled against the table. “Okay daddy, just try to sleep and if you can’t, then call me or something, I gotta make lunch, but I’ll have my phone.” 

“Okay kitten. I love you.” Jiyong smiled softly and shook his head, “Kiss my little man for me.”

“I will.” Chaerin smiled and blew a kiss to the screen before Jiyong disconnected, both too excited to do what they actually needed to do for the day.