story

Before the doorbell rang
Before the doorbell rang.
 
 
Before the doorbell rang I thought I'd have to spend the whole evening like this. I mean talking to this girl or more like forcing myself to maintain a conversation. No, don't get me wrong, she seemed nice and everything, I just don't want my parents - mom in particular - act as a matchmaker. Once I stepped in my parent's house and gave my sis, who turned 23 today a birthday present, she announced that there's going to be a girl, a daughter of her co-worker. And she would like me to keep her company and be in general a nice guy to her, because, as she said, 'she's a fine girl and you two will look good together'. Whatever.
 
But then, that doorbell rang and messed everything up. Well, not everything, but al least the rest of the evening for me. And the next two days. And probably next week. And then the next month. And... and so on.
 
My sister went to open the door.
 
'Honey, who's there?' my mom asked. 'You invited someone else?'
 
There stood a guy with light brown-reddish hair, I'd never seen him before.
 
'Oh, no, it's Taehyung.' she shouted back. She was holding a wineglass in her right hand and there was a thread with a blue balloon under the ceiling tied to her left hand. This might have told this boy something and he realized there's some celebration going on, as you could tell by the guilty face he made.
 
'I came in a bad time? But... I just wandered... I forgot my jacket at my friend's and now I don't have keys, and phone. Could I use yours?' he said awkwardly. 
 
'Of course, come in', she said. 'See, my brother Namjoon is over there', she pointed at me, 'he will show you where the phone is. By the way, do you want a piece of cake? It's my Birthday today.'
 
'Oh. Sorry, I didn't know', he said. 'Happy Birthday!'
 
Then I led him to the kitchen, the boy dialed some number and asked, as I understood the guy he rent apartement with, when he was going to be at home and explained him the situation. Later he told me that he lived the next door, moved in here just a few days after I moved out to live alone. Probably going to some college near here.
 
'Ok, bye', he then pressed the button. He turned to me and made dissatisfied face, 'I have another three hours to wait to get home.'
 
'You can wait here', I finally spoke.
 
'If you won't mind.'
 
My sister came, foisted a plate with cake into his hands and ran away.
 
'Actually, I should thank you for coming here. You kinda saved me'.
 
'From what?' he asked shoving a huge piece of cake into his mouth.
 
'My mom tried - again - to find me a fiancé'.
 
'My condolences', he mocked. He then nodded at his plate 'Want some? It's tasty.'
 
'No, I've already had one.'
 
From here we could see the living room and people there, and Sunji (that's the name of that girl) was shooting glances at us.
 
'That one?' he asked.
 
I followed his glance and nodded.
 
'And you don't like her? Or the fact that you're being thrown together?'  
 
'The second, I guess. It's just not right' I sighed. 'Not that I'm that sentimental, but I believe in... destiny? You know, when you just bump into someone, completely not planning that this person will become something more to you.
 
He gave me a short glance before he tilted his head down and smiled at his thoughts.
 
***
 
Never thought that I would stay shifting my feet in front of the door of a guy whose name I learned a few days ago, just because I kind of... missed him? But that's exactly what I'm doing right now.
 
I finally pulled myself together and knocked at the door.
 
But nobody answered.
 
Great.
 
But why at the first place did I think that he would be at home sitting and waiting for some Namjoon he met at his neighbour's house to come.
 
I sat at the steps planning to wait for him. '19:53' my watch said. I hope he'll turn up soon. I sat tapping my fingers on the rugged grey concrete. I waited. Shifted myself to a more comfortable position. And waited. Titled my head backwards and waited. I might have spent more than an hour sitting like this. I looked at the watch - 19:58. Ugh, you kidding me.
 
Nevertheless, I put my earphones in and kept sitting here. Music eased my mind and images with Taehyung's little vague smiles floated in.
 
It's been two days I spent thinking about this guy. Back then, at my sister's Birthday, we stayed there in the kitchen sharing some thoughts with each other while the rest were having fun in the living room. You know, it's like some people you talk to and even consider friends because there's no one else to talk to at this time and this place, but then there's no even one trace of thought related to them a few days later. And then there's that someone you mentally refer to while absent-mindedly doing things. And I'm afraid he is that one. 
 
I put my head in my hands and lost myself in memories when suddenly...
 
'To be honest I expected you to be here yesterday.' A low voice interrupted my daydreaming.
 
There he stood, in front of me with his hands in his pockets. The light from streetlamp gleamed through his tousled hair as the light wind blew in the night.
 
'Destiny?' he widely smiled and I caught myself thinking that no one had ever fixed a gaze on me as deep as this.