Snail Dreams

Snail Dreams

            Leeteuk is dreaming about being an employee at a dog café and being surrounded by a million adorable puppies when he feels something crawl into his bed. He jumps up screaming, which makes the other being scream. Leeteuk flips on the light, then stops screaming.      

            “Donghae! What are you doing?” he demands. “It’s—“ he squints, looking at his very expensive watch. “Three-fourteen in the morning. What is wrong with you?” He’s grumpy from being terrified awake, but even so, he doesn’t mean for his tone to come out as sharp as it does. But Donghae takes a timid step back, his eyes downcast.

            “I’m—I’m sorry, hyung,” he whispers. “I didn’t mean to scare you or bother you. I just…I just had a bad dream and you always make me feel so safe and I’m really, really, really, really sorry and-“ Leeteuk sighs, but reaches out to wrap his hand around Donghae’s wrist. He gently tugs Donghae closer to him and instantly Donghae’s entire demeanor shifts. He bounces into the bed beside Leeteuk and cuddles close to him, gazing up at Leeteuk with the purest love. “Thank you, Teukie-hyung. You’re the best hyung in the world.” Leeteuk carefully pull the covers up over them and turns off the light. They both lie down, Donghae’s arm wrapped around Leeteuk’s middle as Leeteuk gently Donghae’s hair.

“What did you dream?” Leeteuk asks softly.

“Oh. I dreamed that we were all snails—all of us, you and me and Hyukkie and everyone—and then there was a person who was walking and I thought we were going to get stepped on and die. But snails are very slow, you know, so I couldn’t run fast enough to get away from the feet and then Hyukkie got stuck on a piece of gum and I thought he was going to get stepped on and then that’s when I woke up.”

“Well,” Leeteuk says, “I was still there, right? I promise I will never let anything happen to you or anyone else, even if we are all snails. “ Donghae hums, comforted by his leader’s words, and nuzzles Leeteuk. 

            “I was a really cute snail, though,” Donghae says. “And you had a pretty shell.” Leeteuk chuckles and kisses Donghae on the head. “But I am glad we are humans. Aren’t you glad we are humans? Or would you rather be a snail?”

            “I’m glad I’m human. Now go to sleep. I’ll be right here with you, ok?” Donghae nods and they both close their eyes.

            “Hyung?”

            “Hmm?”

            “Do snails have feelings?”

            “Yes,” Leeteuk replies. “Mostly they feel sleepy. Like me. Like you should. We have a big day tomorrow, so do you think you can go to sleep?”

            “Ok, leader!” Donghae chirps. “Good night. I love you, leader.”

            “Love you too.” They both snuggle deeper into their pillows and finally fall asleep.